FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

firmware.mobi

11,416 posts
Thanks Meter: 88,033

By Chainfire, Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 19th September 2017, 05:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th June 2019, 12:51 PM |#401  
Flag Bandung
Thanks Meter: 4

More
There is only SM-G531H... can I use it for my SM-G531Y ??

And I think mine is still Locked Bootloader (if that matter).

edit : tried and Failed to flash

3rd July 2019, 12:05 AM |#402  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Root SM-G935F
Greetings ashyx !
First of all, and sincerely, i admire people like you! That are devoted in helping other people, and expecting always nothing in return (already donated when rooted my S3, and now i will donate again)
I bought a S7 edge 2 years ago, but now (as i did with my S3) i would like to root it. But i am undecided because i´m afraid losing everything, and i like the phone just as it is...although rootless, and backup less and annoying for that fact. And i just want root, and TWRP recovery. Slight changes, great potential!
Therefore, i´ve been reading, and from what i read , should it be possible to make full nandroid backup, by flashing TWRP? And since i read what you post about cf autoroot got discontinued, i therefore would like to use magisk to root. But want to do that if only i will be able to make full nandroid backup! So if all goes well, after flashing TWRP, and make a backup, i will have to flash no-opt-verity, to disable kernel encryption, and then use magisk to root. And then will make a restore of nandroid backup. And my other question is if after doing the restore, i will not lose root? My firmware buid is: "R16NW.G935FXXS4ESC1" (if this help). Correct me if i wrote something above that is misleading, and sorry for my english (I´m from Portugal)
Thank you, and keep the AWESOMEEEE work!!
3rd July 2019, 09:34 AM |#403  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,427

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1050

Greetings ashyx !
First of all, and sincerely, i admire people like you! That are devoted in helping other people, and expecting always nothing in return (already donated when rooted my S3, and now i will donate again)
I bought a S7 edge 2 years ago, but now (as i did with my S3) i would like to root it. But i am undecided because i´m afraid losing everything, and i like the phone just as it is...although rootless, and backup less and annoying for that fact. And i just want root, and TWRP recovery. Slight changes, great potential!
Therefore, i´ve been reading, and from what i read , should it be possible to make full nandroid backup, by flashing TWRP? And since i read what you post about cf autoroot got discontinued, i therefore would like to use magisk to root. But want to do that if only i will be able to make full nandroid backup! So if all goes well, after flashing TWRP, and make a backup, i will have to flash no-opt-verity, to disable kernel encryption, and then use magisk to root. And then will make a restore of nandroid backup. And my other question is if after doing the restore, i will not lose root? My firmware buid is: "R16NW.G935FXXS4ESC1" (if this help). Correct me if i wrote something above that is misleading, and sorry for my english (I´m from Portugal)
Thank you, and keep the AWESOMEEEE work!!

Anyone who wants to modify their device in any way should be making a full device backup with twrp or other means before undertaking such modifications.
Only fools skip this step and usually cometo regret not taking that few minutes extra to make that all important backup.
As long as you make that backup you should be fine.
Even though its unlikely to be lost, it's up to you to backup your important data.

Not sure why you need to do a restore after installing Magisk though?
Magisk itself should take care of dm-verity, if not then you will have to install the no_verity zip.

Just ensure you are OEM UNLOCKED before flashing anything.
3rd July 2019, 03:31 PM |#404  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx

Anyone who wants to modify their device in any way should be making a full device backup with twrp or other means before undertaking such modifications.
Only fools skip this step and usually cometo regret not taking that few minutes extra to make that all important backup.
As long as you make that backup you should be fine.
Even though its unlikely to be lost, it's up to you to backup your important data.

Not sure why you need to do a restore after installing Magisk though?
Magisk itself should take care of dm-verity, if not then you will have to install the no_verity zip.

Just ensure you are OEM UNLOCKED before flashing anything.

Thank you for your instructions! But... Are you saying that during the root process i will not lose my data? That would be awesome! I thought that when a root was made, we had to format or wipe data, or Magisk would automatically wipe them during the root process. Therefore i would have to restore what had been wiped. That was what i thought. Is this correct?
3rd July 2019, 07:14 PM |#405  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,427

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1050

Thank you for your instructions! But... Are you saying that during the root process i will not lose my data? That would be awesome! I thought that when a root was made, we had to format or wipe data, or Magisk would automatically wipe them during the root process. Therefore i would have to restore what had been wiped. That was what i thought. Is this correct?

Magisk won't touch your data or wipe anything at all. All it does is modify the boot image and place a few files on the data partition.
All you need to worry about is dmverity.
If Magisk doesn't patch it and the device doesn't boot then use the dmverity zip.
However that doesn't mean skip the backup.
3rd July 2019, 08:48 PM |#406  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx

Magisk won't touch your data or wipe anything at all. All it does is modify the boot image and place a few files on the data partition.
All you need to worry about is dmverity.
If Magisk doesn't patch it and the device doesn't boot then use the dmverity zip.
However that doesn't mean skip the backup.

Got it ashyx! Backup is the first and main priority! Just for beeing able to backup the entire device without root, is fenomenal!! Thanks to you, and all the team who spend so much precious time developing such a great recovery project, just to make people happy! That in the first place was the thing that was annoying me the most!! Since i got the device, i never made a backup!! Crazyyyyy, i know All the androids phones should have the trwp recovery backup component, for us to make backups! Stinkin stock recoverys!!
Sorry to bother you again with this matter, but i´ve been reading a lot lately about this rooting process, and 2 or 3 of posts here in xda, about rooting oreo (mine is April security patch) , and notice many people having issues. That is, i feel unconfortable about taking this steps, until i become prety sure that this is going to work super smooth. Can you please recomend a xda post, or give me a guiding step after step, for me to successfully acomplish root? Or any other guidance method you recomend?
Sorry for the annoyance! Thank you so much
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)