GSI for the Galaxy A20

634 posts
Thanks Meter: 116

By physwizz, Senior Member on 4th September 2019, 09:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th September 2019, 07:17 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Hey guys, new player (and long time lurker on xda) here.
I bought this phone last August and since, I've been following development on it. You guys have done an amazing job improving our device. I have a few ideas in mind how I could help ( not in development per se but in threat and links management).
My device model is 205F which looks pretty rare among devs here most of you have 205G. As soon as root and recovery were available I flashed them. Everything went smoothly. Patched boot and flashed through Odin then flashed recovery with flashify, "in a flash" so to say 😁.
Now for GSI, that's a whole other bag of worms.
First I made a mistake. I format Data before flashing your GSI for Android 9. Flashing went well but rebooting first got stuck on android logo, then another reboot want directly to download mode with vbmeta error. Tried flashing GSI fix, vm-verity zips, flashing was ok but none of them did anything.

Side note: My /data/media folder(sdcard) was filled with encrypted files and folders. Even now after boot most apps can't deal with it. They can see the content, but not read it, chrome saves files(apks) to it but can't open them file managers don't see them. Any idea what to do about it?

Anyway, I realized my mistake and went about factory resetting. I had to do it in Odin cause I could only access stock recovery. Then tried rooting, got stuck at finishing touches in setup. On second try I factory reset and it worked flashed recovery then went back there and flashed GSI again. This time it worksπŸ‘πŸ‘.
The thing is I went to the official thread and looked up the tutorial. The instructions are to flash GSI only. If it doesn't work flash vm-verity, if it doesn't work flash vbmeta or GSI fix depending on errors shown. Formatting data should come as a last resort in case nothing works. So maybe @phizzwizz you could update your post to reflect that?
I'm on GSI 9 now looking to upgrade to 10 if we find a file that works. It's such a relief not seeing Samsung at every corner of my phone πŸ₯³, previously Samsung highjacked 12gb of my 32 now it's only 7.7gb(Google apps)
Right now I can't restore from smart switch, it shows my backup but no option to restore. I would have to transfer my files to PC then use cable to restore. IF MTP works. I'll get to it right now. Take care.
PS: can I suggest that we all have our device variant in our signatures so we know who has what?

10th September 2019, 09:22 PM |#42  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheBRAVE

I bought this phone last August and since, I've been following development on it. You guys have done an amazing job improving our device. I have a few ideas in mind how I could help ( not in development per se but in threat and links management).
My device model is 205F which looks pretty rare among devs here most of you have 205G. As soon as root and recovery were available I flashed them. Everything went smoothly. Patched boot and flashed through Odin then flashed recovery with flashify, "in a flash" so to say .
First I made a mistake. I format Data before flashing your GSI for Android 9. Flashing went well but rebooting first got stuck on android logo, then another reboot want directly to download mode with vbmeta error. Tried flashing GSI fix, vm-verity zips, flashing was ok but none of them did anything.

Side note: My /data/media folder(sdcard) was filled with encrypted files and folders. Even now after boot most apps can't deal with it. They can see the content, but not read it, chrome saves files(apks) to it but can't open them file managers don't see them. Any idea what to do about it?

Anyway, I realized my mistake and went about factory resetting. I had to do it in Odin cause I could only access stock recovery. Then tried rooting, got stuck at finishing touches in setup. On second try I factory reset and it worked flashed recovery then went back there and flashed GSI again. This time it works.
The thing is I went to the official thread and looked up the tutorial. The instructions are to flash GSI only. If it doesn't work flash vm-verity, if it doesn't work flash vbmeta or GSI fix depending on errors shown. Formatting data should come as a last resort in case nothing works. So maybe @phizzwizz you could update your post to reflect that?
I'm on GSI 9 now looking to upgrade to 10 if we find a file that works. It's such a relief not seeing Samsung at every corner of my phone πŸ₯³, previously Samsung highjacked 12gb of my 32 now it's only 7.7gb(Google apps)
Right now I can't restore from smart switch, it shows my backup but no option to restore. I would have to transfer my files to PC then use cable to restore. IF MTP works. I'll get to it right now. Take care.
PS: can I suggest that we all have our device variant in our signatures so we know who has what?

thanks for the ideas.

Edit: changes made.
My version was already in my signature.
The Following User Says Thank You to physwizz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift physwizz Ad-Free
10th September 2019, 10:36 PM |#43  
Thanks Meter: 1,601

More
@tbm Not sure if kernel is device version dependent or not....we have A205YN in Australia.
10th September 2019, 11:30 PM |#44  
Flag Argentina
Thanks Meter: 24

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajk

@tbm Not sure if kernel is device version dependent or not....we have A205YN in Australia.

Then i will build it for the A205YN
11th September 2019, 11:22 AM |#45  

More
If you have problems setting up a fingerprint unlock, make sure your brightness is maxed out and try again for a few times. It works.
Found this tip at the AOSP 9 Phh treble thread.

EDIT: after setting up one finger, trying to access the fingerprint menu makes settings screen go black, the screen still reacts to touches and lets me go to homescreen. Maybe if you need to have more than one finger do it while still in the menu with "add finger" button.
11th September 2019, 12:10 PM |#46  
Thanks Meter: 1,601

More
@IamTheBRAVE Tips for improving fingerprint recognition are for phones with in-display fingerprint sensor i.e. not our phone and turning the brightness up will do exactly nothing on any phone.
11th September 2019, 06:37 PM |#47  

More
I looked it up and you're right. The post itself had no mention what kind of fingerprint it was. I assumed he was talking about all types of fingerprint. Mine wasn't working right, no recognition and print would disappear after reboot (standard policy is pin number unlock only after reboot) then reappear and work for a while. Now it works. I deleted my print and did another with no hiccups and without full brightness.
On another note, my internal storage is inaccessible to all apps. And comparing with other devices in which mnt/emulated/0 's permissions are 775, in mine it's 770. Chmod in TWRP doesn't work after reboot and neither are root explorers.
Do you think I should reflash GSI with wipe data ? I don't feel comfortable with formatting it, but it looks like it's the only thing left to do...
11th September 2019, 08:13 PM |#48  
Flag Argentina
Thanks Meter: 24

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajk

I can only find A205G and A205F kernel source code in Samsung Opensource Release Center, so i will build it for the A205G, it should work in the A205YN i suppose.
The Following User Says Thank You to TBM 13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TBM 13 Ad-Free
11th September 2019, 08:15 PM |#49  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheBRAVE

My device model is 205F which looks pretty rare among devs here most of you have 205G. As soon as root and recovery were available I flashed them. Everything went smoothly. Patched boot and flashed through Odin then flashed recovery with flashify, "in a flash" so to say .

Anyway, I realized my mistake and went about factory resetting. I had to do it in Odin cause I could only access stock recovery. Then tried rooting, got stuck at finishing touches in setup. On second try I factory reset and it worked flashed recovery then went back there and flashed GSI again. This time it works.

well i already following all the step like your instructions on private message , but i still have the same result . bootloop on the boot logo
11th September 2019, 10:27 PM |#50  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
No android 10 gsi yet?
11th September 2019, 10:46 PM |#51  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexHdz

No android 10 gsi yet?