FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Unlock/Root Lenovo Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F) by Chaser42

22 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By Chaser42, Junior Member on 10th August 2019, 06:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This guide will show you how to unlock the bootloader and root Android 9.0 (Pie) with Magisk on the Lenovo Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F). This is my first time creating a guide for the forums, so I apologize in advance for any non-standard formatting of this document.

CURRENTLY, TWRP CUSTOM RECOVERY IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS DEVICE. If we had a working image of TWRP, this guide would be much more simple. It was surprisingly difficult to find good copies of the stock ROM image files (thanks for your help, Lenovo). I ended up finding them in the OTA updates that get downloaded when you use the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant tool on Windows 10. Then I basically had to slip Magisk into the bootloader by following the Magisk documentation detailing how to pre patch the stock bootloader image. Then it became just a matter of flashing that patched image via fastboot.

It will really be great once we have custom recovery. There are some guys who port TWRP to new devices by request on a first-come first-serve basis. However, they have an enormous backlog of requests. There are more than 50 devices in-line ahead of the TB-X705F. So unfortunately we can't realistically expect them to get to our request anytime soon.

NOTE THAT THIS GUIDE IS ONLY APPLICABLE IF YOUR DEVICE IS RUNNING ANDROID 9.0 (PIE). As of this writing, there is no stock Pie ROM available. Pie is necessary because the previous bootloader did not allow a permanent unlock. The only way to get the tablet upgraded to Pie is by starting with Oreo and installing OTA updates.

PREREQUISITES:
  • The understanding that by making these modifications, specifically unlocking the bootloader, will likely void the warranty of your device.
  • Be aware that when you modify your device you do so at your own risk. Be sure to follow all steps carefully or you could end up losing all of your data or bricking your device. IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE DOING THEN STOP NOW.
  • You should have a basic familiarity with the fastboot tool and the flashing of image files via the command line.
  • The fastboot tool must be installed on the device that will be connected to the tablet via a USB cable. Your USB device drivers need to be up to date on that device. In most cases that will be a Windows 10 PC, but the fastboot tool can also be used from devices running Linux or Android. There are a lot of resources already available on how to install the fastboot tool and USB drivers, so that is beyond the scope of this guide.
  • BACK UP ALL OF YOUR DATA THAT YOU WANT TO KEEP ON THE TABLET. WHEN YOU UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER, EVERYTHING ON THE TABLET WILL BE WIPED. THAT INCLUDES THE INTERNAL SD CARD AS WELL AS ANDROID AND APP SPECIFIC DATA. ALL THAT WILL REMAIN IS STOCK ANDROID PIE THAT HAS BEEN FACTORY RESET.
  • You need to make sure you have developer settings turned on so that you can enable the "OEM unlocking" setting and enable the "USB debugging" setting. There are many guides available on how to turn on developer settings, so that is beyond the scope of this guide.
  • As stated above, this only works with Android Pie (9.0). Make sure that your Android build number is at TB-X705F_S20095_190528_ROW. The is important because the prepatched bootloader image that you will download is specific to this build. You can verify the build number on your device in your settings under "system" and "about tablet".
  • Download the Magisk prepatched bootloader image: magisk_patched.img

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Turn the tablet off.
  2. Hold down the volume down button along with the power button so that the tablet goes into fastboot mode.
  3. Using the USB cable, connect the tablet to the device with the fastboot tool installed.
  4. Launch the command line or terminal emulator from the device with the fastboot tool installed.
  5. Unlock the bootloader with the command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go
    This will begin the system wipe process and will take around 5 minutes to complete. Once it is complete, the tablet will boot up into Android starting at initial configuration wizard.
  6. Power the device off. Don't bother with the initial configuration wizard.
  7. Hold down the volume down button along with the power button so that the tablet goes into fastboot mode.
  8. From the command line, navigate to the directory containing the Magisk prepatched bootloader image (magisk_patched.img) that you downloaded in the prerequisites.
  9. Flash the Magisk prepatched bootloader image with the command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
  10. Boot normally into Android with the command:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
  11. Go through the Android setup wizard making sure that you at least configure your Wi-Fi connection.
  12. Once you're done with the Android setup wizard, find Magisk Manager in the app drawer and open that app.
  13. You will be prompted to download and install the latest full version of the Magisk Manager. You will also need to grant permission allowing the APK file you just downloaded to be installed.
  14. Once the newest version of Magisk Manager has been installed, open that app.
  15. Magisk Manager will state that it needs to complete the Magisk setup. Begin that process. It will take a minute or two to complete and then will automatically reboot the tablet.

Congratulations. Your Lenovo Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F) should now be fully rooted with Magisk. As a final task, it would probably be a good idea to install your favorite version of BusyBox. I highly recommend that you use the systemless version that can be downloaded and installed directly from Magisk Manager.

Chaser
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chaser42 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chaser42 Ad-Free

10th August 2019, 08:07 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you! But magisk_patched.img can't download
10th August 2019, 09:06 AM |#3  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcli

Thank you! But magisk_patched.img can't download

The download link works fine for me.
10th August 2019, 10:36 AM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelis2

The download link works fine for me.

Thanks,good
10th August 2019, 01:55 PM |#5  

More
Thank you very much! root succeeded
11th August 2019, 04:15 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
FYI - If you need Xposed Framework functionality, the new EdXposed seems to work fine.

I simply followed the instructions to get it working:

EdXposed Framework version 90.0-v0.4.5.1 _beta (4463) (Sand Hook) is active

There are two versions that you can pick from - Sand Hook and YAHFA. The documentation states that they're both nearly equivalent and to pick one arbitrarily because some variants work better with different Android devices. So I picked Sand Hook and so far so good. I took a screenshot of the EdXposed Manager showing that is happy. That image is attached.

The EdXposed Framework is still in beta so be very cautious with it. Especially considering that there is currently no P10 TWRP image for Nandroid backups. At this time I wouldn't recommend installing it unless you really have a great need for it.

Chaser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190811-094910.png
Views:	26
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	4804647  
13th August 2019, 11:58 AM |#7  

More
Help!
Hello!

I have another build number TB-X705L_S200084_190614ROW. What should I do to root my device?

Thanks in advance,
Irene
13th August 2019, 02:26 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Ah, yes. That's the LTE version of the P10. Since it has a different build number, we need the stock bootloader image file (boot.img) that is specific to that model number. That image file would then need to be pre patched with Magisk. I used the magisk installation guide as a reference. That's actually quite easy. The hard part is getting that stock bootloader image file. I was finally able to accomplish this for the TB-X705F by using the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant tool to revert the tablet back to the original stock ROM and to apply the two OTA updates. The LMSA tool actually saved the files inside if it's application directory in Windows. Inside of the last update zip file I was able to find the stock Pie bootloader. I can only assume that we would have to go to through the same process using the TB-X705L. I'm not sure if I will be able to do it because the LMSA tool requires that you attach the tablet via the USB cable. Then it verifies the serial number and model number. I suspect that I would actually need one of the TB-X705L tablets to get the LMSA tool to download the ROM files specific that device. I will try that a little bit later when I get in front of a PC.

And now that I think about it, there's no guarantee that the TB-X705L bootloader for Pie will allow an OEM unlock. For all we know, allowing the OEM unlock for the TB-X705F bootloader was an oversight on the part of the Lenovo developers. After all, it seems pretty evident that Lenovo doesn't want this device to be unlocked. The Oreo bootloader was not unlockable as far as I could tell. I thought it was strange that the Pie bootloader magically allowed OEM unlock. If the change was intentional, Lenovo certainly didn't provide any documentation about it. They also don't allow those original stock ROM files to be downloaded from the support section of their website. Many other vendors make those files freely available on their websites. I shouldn't have to hunt down those files. They do provide the source code for the original stock ROM, but that's not very useful to the user community.

Hopefully Lenovo just hasn't had time to publish documentation for the bootloader unlock. Otherwise, it would seem that they are intentionally trying to make it difficult for power users to unlock and root these tablets.

Chaser
13th August 2019, 02:49 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
I should have mentioned in my original post that the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant Tool is the key to restoring your device in the event that you get a boot loop or if something else wonky happens. That tool is available on the Lenovo website in their support section. Just follow the instructions to do a "rescue" and that tool will revert the tablet back to the first Oreo stock ROM. To get back to Pie you just have to go through the process of installing the two OTA updates. I did a lot of crazy stuff to my test P10 which resulted in boot loops and other problems with Android. Each time I was able to revert the tablet back to its original Oreo state using the LMSA tool.

Chaser
15th August 2019, 01:55 AM |#10  

More
Edit: ignore this accidental post.
15th August 2019, 04:31 PM |#11  

More
Can you provide boot.img and Recovery.img files? X705F.
Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
root, smart-tab-p10, tb-x705f, unlock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)