[GUIDE] Unlock/Root Lenovo Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F) by Chaser42

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By Chaser42, Member on 10th August 2019, 06:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th August 2019, 04:31 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can you provide boot.img and Recovery.img files? X705F.
Thanks!
17th August 2019, 12:14 AM |#12  
OP Member
Houston, TEXAS

More
Here are the Lenovo stock ROM files for the Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F). These are the genuine files directly from the Lenovo. I have left the huge file names intact.

Original Full Stock ROM: TB_X705F_USER_S000017_20180831_Q00020_ROW.zip
OTA Update #1: TB_X705F_USER_S000017_20180831_Q00020_ROW_TO_TB_X7 05F_USER_S000037_20181220_Q00020_ROW_WCF52C9502.zi p
OTA Update #2: TB_X705F_USER_S000037_20181220_Q00020_ROW_TO_TB_X7 05F_USR_S200095_190528_Q00332_ROW_WCB7188D82.zip

There is also a Qualcomm tool that LMSA uses behind the scenes. I've included it as it may be helpful for some people.

Qualcomm Tool: QcomDLoader_V1.3.0.2_WithDLL.zip

Enjoy!

Chaser
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaser42 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chaser42 Ad-Free
24th August 2019, 02:29 AM |#13  

More
a quick question how were you able to upgrade to Android 9, I just bought mine tablet and android version in 8. I tried to check fro updates but it tells me the system is up to date. I also tried to upgrade my tablet via mobile assistant, but when i choose and model. and download the ROM and try to update it that way it tells me its also up to date...
24th August 2019, 03:02 AM |#14  
OP Member
Houston, TEXAS

More
I have a test P10 and I have taken it from the original Oreo stock ROM to Pie several times. Sometime last week I started experiencing the exact same issue. I had that device up to the first OTA update and was ready to install the second OTA update but it acted as if it was fully up-to-date. I got the same result when trying to update via the Android updater or the LMSA tool. It is almost as if Lenovo has rescinded the update.

So I found a workaround.

This actually works with both OTA updates. Copy the OTA update file to your external SD card. It must be the external SD card. Then boot into stock recovery by pressing volume up and power at the exact same time. After it vibrates and the Lenovo screen comes up keep volume up and power pressed for about three more seconds and let go. This should bring up the stock recovery menu. Choose install from SD card. You will see your update zip file. Select that file and the update should install properly.

I have tested this method a couple times now and it definitely works. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Chaser
24th August 2019, 12:47 PM |#15  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser42

I have a test P10 and I have taken it from the original Oreo stock ROM to Pie several times. Sometime last week I started experiencing the exact same issue. I had that device up to the first OTA update and was ready to install the second OTA update but it acted as if it was fully up-to-date. I got the same result when trying to update via the Android updater or the LMSA tool. It is almost as if Lenovo has rescinded the update.

So I found a workaround.

This actually works with both OTA updates. Copy the OTA update file to your external SD card. It must be the external SD card. Then boot into stock recovery by pressing volume up and power at the exact same time. After it vibrates and the Lenovo screen comes up keep volume up and power pressed for about three more seconds and let go. This should bring up the stock recovery menu. Choose install from SD card. You will see your update zip file. Select that file and the update should install properly.

I have tested this method a couple times now and it definitely works. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Chaser

oh the problem is i don't have an any SD card I can put into the tablet but also what OTA update are you referring too? are you talking about the link you posted in this thread Update 1 update 2? because my build number is newer then those. my build is TB-X705F_S000041_20190322_ROW and that correspond to Android 8
26th August 2019, 04:48 PM |#16  

More
Unable to update to Android 9 :(
I succesfully went back to the stock version, after that had 2 OTA updates... and now I can't update to Android 9 to get rom-file needed to root my device ( Both Smart assistant and OTA update are writing "your system is up to date"...
27th August 2019, 04:47 AM |#17  
OP Member
Houston, TEXAS

More
Currently I only know of one way to install the second OTA update. That is the update that will bring you up to Android 9. It requires that you use an external SD card (even if you just insert one temporarily for this purpose). Per standard Android documentation, you should be able to install the update using ADB sideload but that method is broken. I have only had success updating manually from the external SD card.

Here are the steps to manually install OTA update #2 (Android 9) via the external SD card:
  • Download the zip file for OTA #2 (I provided a link in a previous post)
  • Copy that zip file to the top folder of the external SD card.
  • Boot into stock recovery (power off device then press volume up and power simultaneously).
  • From the stock recovery menu, choose "Apply update from SD card".
  • Select the zip file for OTA #2
  • Profit

I don't know why the P10 currently thinks it is fully up-to-date at Oreo with OTA update #1. I know that it used to work and now it doesn't. I'm not a big conspiracy theorist, but it's almost like Lenovo rescinded the update. This happened a week after I posted the bootloader unlock instructions. Maybe they never meant for the bootloader to be unlocked and they are cooking up a replacement update. But I don't know why they would bother because we already have the copy of the bootloader that allows the unlock and they can never undo that.

I should just use Occam's Razor and go with the simplest solution... Lenovo doesn't seem to know their head from their ass when it comes to the software support of this tablet. Just look at the LMSA tool. It's practically useless. The only thing it gets right is the rescue feature that brings you to the original stock Oreo. Actually, the Qualcomm update tool should get the credit there as LMSA uses that to install the ROM in the background.

This is really great device device, especially considering the price. I have used a lot of tablets and I am very pleased with the P10. The people that designed the P10 from a hardware standpoint did a good job. Even the people who made the stock ROM for Oreo and Pie did a good job. However, the people in charge of the support software are freaking idiots.

Let me know if you run into any problems installing OTA update #2 (Android 9).

Chaser
27th August 2019, 10:55 AM |#18  

More
Android 9
I've called to Lenovo support and they say that this update is expected to come till the end of September. I hope they don't want to fix the opportunity to unlock the bootloader...

P.S. Sorry for possible mistakes in writing, English is not my language
27th August 2019, 12:52 PM |#19  
OP Member
Houston, TEXAS

More
Wow, so Lenovo has confirmed that they recalled the update and are coming out with another update next month. I don't really know what to think about that. They will probably roll up the latest Android security updates with the new update. It doesn't make sense that they would recall an update unless they found something wrong with that update. But they still have to deal with the fact that OTA update #2 was released and is running on a lot of P10 tablets in the wild. The new update will have to have the ability to upgrade devices at OTA #2 and devices stuck at OTA #1. As it is, I'm never going to delete my copy of OTA #2. I will make it available on my Mega share if they take it down from the official Lenovo download links.

I'll have to double check, but per my understanding of how OEM locking and unlocking works, Lenovo should not be able to force an OEM lock with an OTA update. The whole point of the security mechanism is that it requires physical access to the device. You can't lock or unlock unless you are able to hold the device in your hand. As it stands, they released a copy of the bootloader into the wild that is capable of performing OEM unlock. Lenovo can't undo that. It will forever be available on fine sites like XDA in a thread like this.

Chaser
7th September 2019, 05:04 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Very good thing
With thins unlock guide i got know a rooted devices thanks!
8th September 2019, 10:18 AM |#21  
Account currently disabled
Flag Karachi, Pakistan
Thanks Meter: 3

Donate to Me
More
Help!
Unable to update to Android 9?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
root, smart-tab-p10, tb-x705f, unlock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)