8th September 2019, 10:36 AM |#22  
OP Member
Houston, TEXAS
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesar

Unable to update to Android 9?

So I'm assuming you have read the OP in it's entirety. Where exactly are you stuck?

Chaser
8th September 2019, 10:38 AM |#23  
OP Member
Houston, TEXAS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShieldPower

With thins unlock guide i got know a rooted devices thanks!

That's awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

Did you have to do the manual update to Android 9?

Chaser
18th September 2019, 01:51 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Today the system has been updated, is it updated? Will it affect the unlock?
18th September 2019, 11:15 PM |#25  
OP Member
Houston, TEXAS

More
I got the new update file. I will install it this evening on my test tab. I doubt unlock will be affected.

Chaser
19th September 2019, 03:12 PM |#26  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser42

I got the new update file. I will install it this evening on my test tab. I doubt unlock will be affected.

Chaser

With the tablet in root, unable to run the new ota update. The ota has a new boot image and I had to fastboot the original boot.img file to the boot partition in order to get the new ota update to work.

AC
I extracted the original boot.img from the pie update ota file.
20th September 2019, 09:36 AM |#27  

More
I've downloaded the latest update with Android9 for my tab 705L to my PC today but I need help with patching the image file... What should I do further?
I've never used Magisk before and I don't know what to start with to create the patched img... And do I need to update my device before patching?
20th September 2019, 02:59 PM |#28  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister-of-Night

I've downloaded the latest update with Android9 for my tab 705L to my PC today but I need help with patching the image file... What should I do further?
I've never used Magisk before and I don't know what to start with to create the patched img... And do I need to update my device before patching?

You might want to wait until Chaser can provide some sort of advice. The new update has a compressed boot.img file that I cant uncompressed in windows (compressed bzip2 ?). You dont want to flash an incorrect image to the boot partition - it will brick you device.

AC
You will need to update before your attempt to root.
21st September 2019, 11:31 PM |#29  
OP Member
Houston, TEXAS

More
I was able to apply the new OTA update to my test P10 by reverting the boot image back to stock boot.img file found inside of 2nd OTA update. I am now stuck where you guys are. Per the official Magisk documentation, we need to patch the new stock boot.img which is created by the 3rd OTA update. However, it isn't clear to me how to get a copy of this new boot.img without root (or custom recovery).

This is a puzzle for sure. I'm still researching. Please let me know if you are able to make any progress. I'm sure that we can solve this as a community.

Currently I'm looking for a method of manually patching the boot.img file from the 2nd OTA update with the boot.img.p file found in the 3rd OTA update. I'm also looking into a no root method of extracting the boot.img file via adb (like with adb pull or dd). I'm no expert with firehose, but maybe there's a way to extract the file using the qcom download tool.

I'll post an update as soon as I find something... You guys do the same.

Thanks!

Chaser
22nd September 2019, 02:12 AM |#30  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser42

I was able to apply the new OTA update to my test P10 by reverting the boot image back to stock boot.img file found inside of 2nd OTA update. I am now stuck where you guys are. Per the official Magisk documentation, we need to patch the new stock boot.img which is created by the 3rd OTA update. However, it isn't clear to me how to get a copy of this new boot.img without root (or custom recovery).

This is a puzzle for sure. I'm still researching. Please let me know if you are able to make any progress. I'm sure that we can solve this as a community.

Currently I'm looking for a method of manually patching the boot.img file from the 2nd OTA update with the boot.img.p file found in the 3rd OTA update. I'm also looking into a no root method of extracting the boot.img file via adb (like with adb pull or dd). I'm no expert with firehose, but maybe there's a way to extract the file using the qcom download tool.

I'll post an update as soon as I find something... You guys do the same.

Thanks!

Chaser

Hi Chaser,
This might help - "How to patching an updated boot.img.p(atch) to a fastboot boot.img" a XDA post https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1702233
Could help in creating a boot img "offline".
Getting a bit complicated for me.
AC
23rd September 2019, 03:20 AM |#31  
OP Member
Houston, TEXAS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acwodc

Hi Chaser,
This might help - "How to patching an updated boot.img.p(atch) to a fastboot boot.img" a XDA post https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1702233
Could help in creating a boot img "offline".
Getting a bit complicated for me.
AC

Thanks for mentioning that. I had come across the manual applypatch method before but then got busy going down other rabbit holes. If I can find all of the required parameters in the updater script, this just might work...

Chaser
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
root, smart-tab-p10, tb-x705f, unlock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)