TUTORIAL REVISED AND WRITTEN BY @parcek
FURTHER UPDATED FOR ROOTING NOOBS: 10 Steps
Two Methods: Windows and Linux
Originally posted by @brad2192: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-root-t3746425
Credit to @tecknight for updated files: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...84&postcount=2
@brad2192: Updated Tutorial due to people using TWRP (the original tutorial was released before TWRP was released for this device)
1) Backup all apps and data using LG Backup phone apps
2) Enable USB debugging and Unlock OEM. There are two methods in which you will to accomplish this:
First Method: Smartphone GUI
A) On your Lg Aristo 2 Smartphone go into General Tab (If in Tab View), If in list view, scroll down towards System section
"System Settings > About Phone > Software Information > Click on "Build Number" 10 times.
Now go to "System Settings > About Phone > Developer Options > Enable OEM unlock."
and also "System Settings > About Phone > Developer Options > Enable USB debugging."
Second Method: Windows Command Prompt or Linux Terminal:
B) Click and drag "adb" file into command prompt and type "reboot bootloader" after it. Press enter.
Click and drag "fastboot" file into command prompt and type "flashing unlock" after it. Press enter.
C)Type in your terminal "adb reboot bootloader" and press enter.
Type in your terminal "fastboot flashing unlock."
NOTE: Below has the information which will teach you how to download ADB and FASTBOOT.
3) Download the following:
Updated - TWRP
Updated - Magisk
(Add this file into your phone's SD Card.)
Updated - boot image
B)This is how you download ADB and FASTBOOT for Windows: https://dl.google.com/android/reposi...st-windows.zip
4) Open Command Prompt. Then click and drag the adb file (from the latter download link a.k.a platform-tools) into command prompt then press space and type "reboot bootloader" after and then press enter OR power down phone and hold volume down while plugging in USB)
5) Open Command Prompt. Then click and drag the fastboot file (from the latter download link a.k.a platform-tools) into command prompt and then type "flash recovery" after it and then click and drag "newtwrp.img" into command prompt and press enter.)
6) Open Command Prompt. Then click and drag fastboot (from the latter download link a.k.a platform-tools) into command prompt and then type "flash boot" after it and then click and drag "bootimglistedabove.img" into the command prompt after and then press enter) then follow step 7).
C) Depending on kernel, for this sake we will use a debian based kernal.
This is how you download ADB and FASTBOOT for Linux: Open terminal and type: "Sudo apt-get install adb && sudo apt-get install fastboot"
4) Open terminal and type: adb reboot bootloader
5) Open terminal and type: fastboot flash recovery (and then click and drag newtwrp.img onto the terminal) and hit enter
6) Open terminal and type: fastboot flash boot (and then click and drag bootfilelistedabove.img onto the terminal) and hit enter
This applies towards both Windows and Linux: continuation after their last listed step written above.
Step 7) Remove battery from phone, in order to force a shut down.
8) Boot into Recovery-TWRP Mode.
How to boot into LG Aristo 2 TWRP Recovery:
a) The phone is off.
b) Hold the volume key and power key at the same time.
c) When the LG logo appears, let go of the power key (while still holding the volume down key) and then click and hold the power key once again.
d)You will be prompted to LG Aristo 2's stock recovery mode asking you if you are sure you would like to delete ur phone.
e) Go to the option "yes" and enter.
f) It will then warn you that can remove all data from your phone.
g) Go to the option "yes" and enter.
You will be in TWRP after this.
9) In TWRP go to "Wipe > Format Data" and then type "yes" and confirm it. (Do not hit reboot, click back a few time and hit reboot > recovery)
10) In TWRP go to "Install > Select Storage" and select your SD Card. Then look for where you placed the "magisk" zip file. Install it.
Your phone is now rooted.
On TWRP menu: Reboot.
Restore your phone if you created an LG backup of your important files (like lets say contacts or applications).
If any mistakes were made and you phone becomes locked, here is how to go into download mode to repair your LG Aristo 2 into its default stock rom. Credit to @tecknight: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...00&postcount=4
1) Power off phone.
2) connect usb to Lg Aristo 2 phone (without connecting the usb into the PC or laptop)
3) Hold volume up key and then connect USB into computer
4) download LG Bridge
5) detect phone
6) click on "Update Error Recovery"
Your LG Aristo 2 will be repaired and factory resetted.
What root means: In terms of PC language, Root means the superuser that has privileges to Add, Modify, and or Delete any kind of system files without prevention. Pretty much, it's like the actual Administrator account on a PC. Natively, whenever we buy a phone, it is as if to say, we are only using a guest account. Since the android OS is basically a Linux based computer (correct me if i am wrong) we can do anything we like... You want iOS emoji's on an android? A custom boot animation? Having root privileges allows you to go beyond your guest user restrictions because you then become the Admin.
Explaining the function of the provided Magisk app: It allows root privileges for programs intended for rooted phones.
There are other popular programs alternative of Magisk app, such as the SuperSU app: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2dljob...0528234214.zip
After being officially done setting up your rooted phone, make sure you disable OEM Unlock to avoid seeing the caution message before every boot.
How to backup your phone.
Also, using ADB, backup your phone.
Windows: Click and drag ADB file onto command prompt and paste " backup -apk -shared -all -f "C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\backupfilename.ab" "
Linux: Open terminal and type " adb backup -apk -shared -all -f "C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\backupfilename.ab" "
Update: For those who are encountering "Now unlock your phone and confirm operation" when typing the latter code, there is an alternative and much more easier and safer way to backup your phone.
Boot into TWRP and click on "backup" and then select what you would like to back up and then swipe to confirm the operation.
Confirmed Successful rooting for LG Aristo 2 - June 2018
Thank You Brad and Tec!