This requires a lot of work.
1. Google kernel source.
2. Build bootable kernel
3. Unlock bootloader
4. Boot kernel with 5.1 ramdisk.
5. Use adb to pull boot.img and recovery.img
6. Download TWRP source modify source for intel
7. Make device tree
8. Unpack recovery.img use that kernel in your TWRP.
9. Make boot.img permissive, remove encryption repack and flash.
10. Flash TWRP.
11. Flash system mode SuperSU for root.

Sent from my LIFE X8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to vampirefo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vampirefo Ad-Free
15th June 2017, 08:38 AM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,482

More
[QUOTE=vampirefo;72615786]This requires a lot of work.
1. Google kernel source.
2. Build bootable kernel
3. Unlock bootloader
7. Make device tree
10. Flash TWRP.

@vampirefo Thanks for taking the time to post this.
To familiarize myself with Linux, I created a persistent linux Mint 17.2 Mate 64 bit on a 32 gb usb thumb drive before I decide to commit my windows machine for a linux install.
I installed oracle jdk and android studio thinking this was the build environment needed to do this. the twrp compile forum makes no mention of what to do in this case. I must have been wrong? I don't think I need this to download and build android kernel sources and twrp source?
I'm now very doubtful about even tempting to do this. Yes, a lot of work just learning the basics of linux, let alone following the steps you give in your basic outline. I don't want to give up so easily, but the learning curve is steep.
So one just uses terminal commands to setup and download aosp and twrp git repositories and to make them? Also, is there any way to backup my device system, boot and recovery without root in linux or windows? I have used the adb pull command to backup the system directories to my windows computer, but don't know how to do it for other partitions, if possible.
I found this kernel building guide for arm and mediatek devices. would this be similar for Intel using the right repositories?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...orial-t3581057
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to martyfender For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martyfender Ad-Free
15th June 2017, 09:25 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 1,633

Donate to Me
More
[QUOTE=martyfender;72679256]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefo

This requires a lot of work.
1. Google kernel source.
2. Build bootable kernel
3. Unlock bootloader
7. Make device tree
10. Flash TWRP.

@vampirefo Thanks for taking the time to post this.
To familiarize myself with Linux, I created a persistent linux Mint 17.2 Mate 64 bit on a 32 gb usb thumb drive before I decide to commit my windows machine for a linux install.
I installed oracle jdk and android studio thinking this was the build environment needed to do this. the twrp compile forum makes no mention of what to do in this case. I must have been wrong? I don't think I need this to download and build android kernel sources and twrp source?
I'm now very doubtful about even tempting to do this. Yes, a lot of work just learning the basics of linux, let alone following the steps you give in your basic outline. I don't want to give up so easily, but the learning curve is steep.
So one just uses terminal commands to setup and download aosp and twrp git repositories and to make them? Also, is there any way to backup my device system, boot and recovery without root in linux or windows? I have used the adb pull command to backup the system directories to my windows computer, but don't know how to do it for other partitions, if possible.
Thanks

All work is done in terminal, root is required to make backups.

15th June 2017, 09:01 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
[QUOTE=vampirefo;72679636]
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfender

All work is done in terminal, root is required to make backups.

So I could uninstall android studio. Should I also revert back to openjdk? I see it mentioned in google docs on setting up a build environment.
UPDATE: I think I have now setup properly. Reverted to openjdk 8
I downloaded this: git clone https://android.googlesource.com/pla...ux-android-4.8
I found this: https://github.com/CM-CHT/android_de...rytrail-common Would this be useful?
Thanks
16th June 2017, 03:57 AM |#15  

Donate to Me
More
[QUOTE=martyfender;72686544]
Quote:

So I could uninstall android studio. Should I also revert back to openjdk? I see it mentioned in google docs on setting up a build environment.
UPDATE: I think I have now setup properly. Reverted to openjdk 8
I downloaded this: git clone https://android.googlesource.com/pla...ux-android-4.8
I found this: https://github.com/CM-CHT/android_de...rytrail-common Would this be useful?
Thanks

No ideal, try it and see.

The Following User Says Thank You to vampirefo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vampirefo Ad-Free
20th June 2017, 09:30 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
What would it take to interest @vampirefo in rooting this tablet and providing a nice clean ROM for the Ares 8A???
20th June 2017, 09:33 PM |#17  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhudson101

What would it take to interest @vampirefo in rooting this tablet and providing a nice clean ROM for the Ares 8A???

For me to root and provide TWRP recovery, I would need the tablet.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk
20th June 2017, 10:00 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

For me to root and provide TWRP recovery, I would need the tablet.

My bad, I guess I misunderstood one of your posts where you said you successfully rooted the tablet, but were withholding the method...

What if I sent you one?
20th June 2017, 10:03 PM |#19  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhudson101

My bad, I guess I misunderstood one of your posts where you said you successfully rooted the tablet, but were withholding the method...

What if I sent you one?

You didn't misread, I rooted my son's, he doesn't live near me, he is in college. He is using my laptop that I used, so all my source files are with him.

I need tablet to start over, I already know what to do but without tablet, I can't do it.

22nd June 2017, 08:32 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Check your zip in the link, lets get vamp an 8a!
I just got one of these for $35, but now the closest walmart with it in stock is an hour away. Ill totaly send you one if I drive that way for any reason. Check your zip on brickseek (: ..... anyone?
slickdeals.net/f/10189248-nextbook-ares-8a-16gb-tablet-android-6-ymmv-35-bm?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
it came with 6.0.1 on it
22nd June 2017, 09:37 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giftlift

I just got one of these for $35, but now the closest walmart with it in stock is an hour away. Ill totaly send you one if I drive that way for any reason. Check your zip on brickseek (: ..... anyone?
slickdeals.net/f/10189248-nextbook-ares-8a-16gb-tablet-android-6-ymmv-35-bm?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
it came with 6.0.1 on it

Can you clarify how one takes advantage of this deal? When I go to the link in my walmart store it shows the full price.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nextbook ares 8a 6.0.1 root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)