Post Reply Email Thread
22nd June 2017, 09:37 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,482

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giftlift

I just got one of these for $35, but now the closest walmart with it in stock is an hour away. Ill totaly send you one if I drive that way for any reason. Check your zip on brickseek (: ..... anyone?
slickdeals.net/f/10189248-nextbook-ares-8a-16gb-tablet-android-6-ymmv-35-bm?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
it came with 6.0.1 on it

Can you clarify how one takes advantage of this deal? When I go to the link in my walmart store it shows the full price.
23rd June 2017, 12:57 AM |#22  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
I certainly haven't made much progress in learning how to do this. When I download sources with git in linux, my drive space decreases, a folder is created in my home directory and it appears to be empty. A search doesn't reveal where all of the disk space is going, either. Does anybody have any ideas. I thought I had drilled down to the proper branch.

I would be willing to give a donation to help purchase a new tablet for him, if others will also. I just can't afford the full cost of a tablet right now. I think there is a link in his signature for donations?
24th June 2017, 02:39 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
upc for Ares 8A on brickseek 847275001352 blue color
I just picked one up today for $35. I believe here are 4 colors each with a different UPC / SKU
SKU
Red 135510787
Black 122137749
Silver 196308982

Remember that brickseek is not always correct.

These models seem to have been built in Nov 2016.

Newer ones were built in April 2017 and are $68. Couldn't find the difference - front camera still 0.3MP? I think the boxes were exactly the same.

A month ago I found a 10" android nextbook for $25!
24th June 2017, 04:53 AM |#24  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgary

I just picked one up today for $35. I believe here are 4 colors each with a different UPC / SKU
SKU
Red 135510787
Black 122137749
Silver 196308982

Remember that brickseek is not always correct.

These models seem to have been built in Nov 2016.

Newer ones were built in April 2017 and are $68. Couldn't find the difference - front camera still 0.3MP? I think the boxes were exactly the same.

A month ago I found a 10" android nextbook for $25!

No one replied to my previous post how brickseeker works?
Is there a promo code one has to give to walmart, or does one have to register with brickseeker?
I work at a southside Indianapolis walmart and I suspect we only have to newer ones. all of ours are priced at $68.
Do the older ones also have android 6.0.1 on them also? The current one I have has a manufacturing date sticker of December 2016.
It is strange, they put the new ares 8A display model in late winter to early spring. A few weeks ago they removed it. and put all of the inventory on an end cap display, instead of being locked up. That usually means new models are coming out or walmart is discontinue them (at least according to an electronics associate)
Despite poor reviews on their website, mine works and runs great.
I would love to get one for $35 to send to @vampirefo so he can root it and build the twrp for it.
24th June 2017, 06:27 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Brickseek.com is just a website that tracks inventory at stores like Walmart and target.

All it does is give you an idea if a clearance item may be located near your zip code using an SKU or upc code.

You have to go to the store and see if the item is actually there and is listed with the clearance price. As I said earlier - there are no guarantees.

It Is not a code or coupon site. Hope I have made it clearer.
The Following User Says Thank You to avgary For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift avgary Ad-Free
24th June 2017, 08:42 AM |#26  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgary

Brickseek.com is just a website that tracks inventory at stores like Walmart and target.

All it does is give you an idea if a clearance item may be located near your zip code using an SKU or upc code.

You have to go to the store and see if the item is actually there and is listed with the clearance price. As I said earlier - there are no guarantees.

It Is not a code or coupon site. Hope I have made it clearer.

Thank You
24th June 2017, 04:19 PM |#27  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefo

This requires a lot of work.
1. Google kernel source.
2. Build bootable kernel
3. Unlock bootloader
4. Boot kernel with 5.1 ramdisk.
5. Use adb to pull boot.img and recovery.img
6. Download TWRP source modify source for intel
7. Make device tree
8. Unpack recovery.img use that kernel in your TWRP.
9. Make boot.img permissive, remove encryption repack and flash.
10. Flash TWRP.
11. Flash system mode SuperSU for root.

Sent from my LIFE X8 using Tapatalk

Which branch of the kernel source should I choose? Just curious why 5.1 and not 6.0.1 to build the bootable kernel. Once I have the correct source what would be the full make command to run to build it? Then I would run fastboot commands to boot the ramdisk?
Is the purpose of this root access to pull the boot.img and recovery.img?
I think I figured out why my local directory was empty. I need to run the terminal command from the folder where I want to download the source.
Is this the kernel I should choose, or is there a different one I should choose?
https://android.googlesource.com/ker...llipop-release
Thanks
24th June 2017, 04:22 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 1,633

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfender

Which branch of the kernel source should I choose? Just curious why 5.1 and not 6.0.1 to build the bootable kernel. Once I have the correct source what would be the full make command to run to build it? Then I would run fastboot commands to boot the ramdisk?
Is the purpose of this root access to pull the boot.img and recovery.img?
Thanks

Yes, the purpose is to pull the stock recovery.img, from that you build TWRP.

I don't know what kernel source you need, you will need to try several until you find one that boots.

I don't keep this information stored away in my head somewhere, it's simply trial and error til you find the right combo.

Took me two days, many different kernel sources and many different builds to build a kernel that would boot into recovery so I could pull stock recovery.img.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to vampirefo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vampirefo Ad-Free
24th June 2017, 05:03 PM |#29  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:

Yes, the purpose is to pull the stock recovery.img, from that you build TWRP.

I don't know what kernel source you need, you will need to try several until you find one that boots.

I don't keep this information stored away in my head somewhere, it's simply trial and error til you find the right combo.

Took me two days, many different kernel sources and many different builds to build a kernel that would boot into recovery so I could pull stock recovery.img.

@vampirefo I am hoping to get at least one other to commit to giving you a donation to buy a new tablet so you can release. I can donate $35 which is about half of the cost of the tablet. So far, no one else has replied to my request. I see you have have a place to donate in your signature. IF we get a tablet for you, how long would it take to have it built and release it-just a rough estimate. It seems like you did it pretty quick with your son's tablet, back in the spring.

I still would like to learn how to do it though, even if you release it.
Thanks again
24th June 2017, 10:08 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 1,633

Donate to Me
More
I just checked my local Walmart no longer carries this tablet.

25th June 2017, 12:05 AM |#31  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:

I just checked my local Walmart no longer carries this tablet.

I get paid thursday. I will be checking my finances over the next few days to see if i can handle it. I am a walmart receiving associate so i get a 10% discount. Free shipping for orders over $35. It could be sent to your home. Stay tuned to see if i can afford it. It may being phased out?
Regards
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nextbook ares 8a 6.0.1 root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)