Post Reply Email Thread
25th August 2019, 05:07 AM |#761  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,482

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_FINO

hello I have a table Nextbook 8a v1.0.8 .... the fact is that I also look for the rom stock ... I wonder if someone can provide me with the link ... greetings beforehand

@EL_FINO I'm sorry, I seldom check this thread anymore since the Nextbook Ares 8A is no longer made, as far as I know. I believe my v1.1.1 rom on Android File Host may work on it but since I don't have the 1.0.8 device, I am not 100% sure of that. My experience is that all v1.0 series roms, work on on v1.0 devices. A user of that device only uploaded the boot.img for that rom. The version I have on AFH is a prerooted version with SuperSu in system mode My v1.2.0 version may also work.

For several years now I have been using Magisk development builds on all of my devices and it is a much better solution than Supersu. I do have a stock TWRP backup of the stock that you need to use Magisk, v1.1.1 but have never uploaded it
I am uploading it now, as you need it to use the systemless Magisk solution. You would need to download it, flash it in TWRP, then immediately flash the latest Magisk.zip in TWRP, to root it. Magisk is terrific. I have the latest cutting edge, canary and Unofficial builds on all 5 versions of my tablets.
If you need just basic root, the SuperSu that I have preinstalled in the AFH, v1.1.1 will probably work for you, However, Magisk will allow you to install various modules to add many additional features to the tablet.
I am now uploading it to AFH. It must be unzipped and place in the proper file hierarchy on your external SD card for TWRP to recognized it: /TWRP/BACKUPS/NX16A8116K/2017-07-02--16-09-14_V1.1.1.MMB29M.20161203.041025/(all of the backup files inside of this nested folder.) also copy the latest Magisk.zip to the MicroSDCard., Don't unzip it. By that I mean the root of the MicroSDCard, not the TWRP folder.
Boot to TWRP, click the restore button, click the select storage option at the bottom, select Micro SDCard, then Select the folder: 2017-07-02--16-09-14_V1.1.1.MMB29M.20161203.041025, then swipe to restore. It will take several minutes to restore.

After restore is complete and before rebooting, go back to the TWRP main page, click the install button and select the Magisk.zip, or what ever it is currently named, select it and again swipe to flash it.
You should see a message that it successfully patched and flash the patched boot.img with no errors.. After a success message, click on the reboot button at the bottom of the TWRP window, to reboot to Android.

The first boot may take several minutes to complete, as a new, unencrypted data partition will be created. In other words, it will be stuck on the Nextbook boot animation for some time, (several minutes), before it boots to the Android setup screen. Finally, setup Android as normal.

The Android File host upload is painfully slow. It is a 1.2 GB file and the upload sometimes fails. I may not know if it was successful, or not, until I get up hours later. If it fails, I will try again. It is at 69% uploaded, now, so I hope it completes.

All of my uploads are here, including the TWRP.img file. you must also unzip it also to flash it in bootloader mode with fastboot, copied to your PC. I copy it to the adb folder or platform tools folder, depending on how you installed adb and fastboot in WIndows. I however have a Linux Mint install. also, so I do it from there :

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=197521

The Magisk Stable zip is here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

SuperSu development is dead, so I would suggest using Magisk, as it is constantly being developed.

My rom has the stock recovery and data removed so TWRP will not be overwritten if you flashed it and a new, enencrypted data partition can be created on first boot,after flashing it and Magisk.

The upload failed, I am starting again then going to bed. Hopefully it completes this time.
Here is the new download link:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...31924117944777
2nd October 2019, 07:15 AM |#762  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
im currently trying to get root on my ares 8 tablet, it's a v3.0.4 running android 6.0.1. i followed the steps to get twrp running but twrp can't mount storage. i can't flash anything because of this. any advice on how to get twrp to work correctly?
4th October 2019, 12:56 AM |#763  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Online Gravy

im currently trying to get root on my ares 8 tablet, it's a v3.0.4 running android 6.0.1. i followed the steps to get twrp running but twrp can't mount storage. i can't flash anything because of this. any advice on how to get twrp to work correctly?

twrp can't mount storage, or can't mount data? Did you factory reset or delete the data partition, so a new, unencrypted data partition can be created. This version of twrp can't mount the original, encrypted data partition. That is why when you first root it, you have to do this. If there is important data there, you should have backed it up first. Twrp will not, however, delete your internal storage (internal sd card, unless you specifically choose that option. Don't do that.

UPDATE:
It may give you a somewhat deceiving message of "can't mount storage when the data partition is still encrypted. I can't remember for sure, because that was a couple of years ago when I did the inital rooting of the devices.
On 4 out of the five devices I own, the external SD card reader has failed. My first v1.1.1 device just recently, totally died.
Because the external has failed, I now keep a twrp stock backup on the intenal SD. It does consume valuable space, but since Nextbook never released any roms, including fastboot flashable ones, the twrp backup is the only way to restore on 3 out of my 4 tablets.

I forgot to mention, please give me a response if this helps you or not. I hate spending time helping people and getting no feedback.
I don't check this thread very often, since this device is no longer made.

I am considering getting an 8" Onn tablet, since there is now a root solution for it, just not twrp, yet.
Thanks
4th October 2019, 06:57 AM |#764  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
the data partition has been wiped multiple times but twrp just keeps saying "unable to mount storage" and "failed to mount /data". everything i flash errors out because it cant access storage, the /sdcard directory is empty in twrp. i left the system partition untouched. i was going to try flashing one of the roms with encryption disabled but the device stopped turning on after i left it to charge. it was fine when i shut it down but now it doesnt have any signs of life. the charging led doesnt light up anymore either. i wont be surprised if it died. also, i cant factory reset from within twrp because of the unable to mount storage error
6th October 2019, 02:55 AM |#765  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello All,

I have the Ares 8A and it comes up with boot failed messages. Below is what I have done so far. Any help is appreciated.

*When I power on it fails with Boot failed message.
* The reset factory option itself is not there. When I hold UP & Power it does nothing. But when I hit DOWN and Power for 7 secs or more it comes with boot up screen and then shows me to select Android and only leads Boot failed message.
* I proceed with boot failed (hit OK) and it shows once more and I OK again and it allows me to select 2 options with icons. Continue and Boot From File. The other options Boot Manager, Device Management, Secure Boot Option, SCU are all not enabled or not able to navigate there.
* When I select boot From file, it allows me to navigate to my internal storage but <EFI> <Capsules> Loader.efi and this file selection fails.
* Going to EFI--> BOOT--> bootx64.efi fails too.
* I loaded the default 2017-07-01--01-36-33_V1.1.1.MMB29M.20161203.041025.zip into my SD card and placed inside the recommend foder structure in SD card and i can navigate in the table to this folder structure. But no files show up. I renamed this file to boot.img and renamed the file name above to .img or filename above.img and none of them shows the files.
*Extracted the zip contents and loaded into SD card with the same folder structure and still no files show up.

This has manufac date of Mar,2017 and running Android 6.0. It was brand new unit booted up with this error message.

All I need is to get to a running android version. Thanks in advance.
7th October 2019, 12:54 AM |#766  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBugMJ

Hello All,

I have the Ares 8A and it comes up with boot failed messages. Below is what I have done so far. Any help is appreciated.

*When I power on it fails with Boot failed message.
* The reset factory option itself is not there. When I hold UP & Power it does nothing. But when I hit DOWN and Power for 7 secs or more it comes with boot up screen and then shows me to select Android and only leads Boot failed message.
* I proceed with boot failed (hit OK) and it shows once more and I OK again and it allows me to select 2 options with icons. Continue and Boot From File. The other options Boot Manager, Device Management, Secure Boot Option, SCU are all not enabled or not able to navigate there.
* When I select boot From file, it allows me to navigate to my internal storage but <EFI> <Capsules> Loader.efi and this file selection fails.
* Going to EFI--> BOOT--> bootx64.efi fails too.
* I loaded the default 2017-07-01--01-36-33_V1.1.1.MMB29M.20161203.041025.zip into my SD card and placed inside the recommend foder structure in SD card and i can navigate in the table to this folder structure. But no files show up. I renamed this file to boot.img and renamed the file name above to .img or filename above.img and none of them shows the files.
*Extracted the zip contents and loaded into SD card with the same folder structure and still no files show up.

This has manufac date of Mar,2017 and running Android 6.0. It was brand new unit booted up with this error message.

All I need is to get to a running android version. Thanks in advance.

@CrazyBugMJ It sounds like you have a newer version of the tablet than the v1.1.1 TWRP backup you are trying to load. You did unzip the twrp backup to /TWRP/BACKUPS/NX16A8116K/2017-07-01--01-36-33_V1.1.1.MMB29M.20161203.041025/All twrp files in here.
So a folder, within a folder, within a folder, with the files, four layers deep.
I believe you need one of my newer backups, though.. Volume down, power button should take you to bootloader/fastboot mode, with the green Android guy on his side. If you do boot to that mode you can see the bootloader version and IFWI version to post here. The IFWI version will give a clues as to the version you have. You boot to this mode from complete power off. From bootloader mode you can toggle the volume rocker to choose where to boot and to choose to boot to recovery. You then hit the power button to boot to the toggled mode shown.
Have you flashed or temp booted the TWRP recovery image from your PC connected in bootloader mode? You need TWRP to flash one of my backups and of course you need the proper Intel drivers installed and working on your PC to do this. If you did not, the stock recovery should still be there. These instructions are documented in the OP of this thread.

The mode you were in sounds like the boot manager efi mode which can only be used if you have a usbotg cable connected to a mouse and a keyboard, but that mode is not usually useful to most of us. You can boot to it from power off with the volume up and the power button.There is also another mode, FTM mode which I don't know much about, so it seems to be useless for us.
So the 2 modes you need to try to fix this are bootloader mode and recovery mode. And you need the twrp for recovery, as the stock one will not do what we want to do, except factory reset and a few others.
My v1.2.0 tablet was manufactured in March of 2017, with an IFWI version of M882_JJ.019.
My v4.0.3 tablet was Manufactured in May of 2017, IFWI version of M882_JJ.021_JJ . I posted the numbers of the most likely tablets you could have, but there are others which I do not have, or have not been made aware of.
All of them Have Android version 6.0.1.
Every brand new one I have had, booted to the DISA activation screen first, except for v1.1.1, before they added the activation code entry requirement. Yours appears to be v1.2.0 but there could have been some of the v1.2.0 tablets without DISA activation or one in between those 2 tablet versions, without it. The ones needing activation have a padlock symbol on the box. Where did you buy this?
10th October 2019, 04:40 AM |#767  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
I just love spending time trying to help someone out here and getting no feedback whatsoever. It just makes me not want to help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nextbook ares 8a 6.0.1 root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)