Thanks Meter: 1,598

By martyfender, Senior Member on 26th May 2017, 06:03 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th January 2020, 12:49 AM |#781  
Thanks Meter: 349

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfender

What do you mean by newer os versions? All Intel versions of this tablet have Android 6.0.1. There are no newer versions that I am aware of.

I'm on 1.0.1 firmware can't get any of the other ones to work. Maybe I messed up the data deletes.... It maybe since mine a demo model it just will not work. I'm not sure.
9th February 2020, 12:37 AM |#782  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortell

I'm on 1.0.1 firmware can't get any of the other ones to work. Maybe I messed up the data deletes.... It maybe since mine a demo model it just will not work. I'm not sure.

Just out of curiosity, what's your IFWI version? Can be found in "About Tablet" in settings or booting into bootloader menu.
If the demo model has the same hardware as the official models, you could in theory flash official firmware to it. I haven't touched my intel Nextbook 8A in a while but what I recall so far is I'm able to dual boot into it and have complete access to all of the partitions.

Also If you want to check what audio chipset your Intel Nextbook 8A has without opening the back cover, boot into TWRP, mount system, then file manager.
Go into the directory "/system/etc/parameter-framework/Structure/Audio" and you'll see a .xml beginning with either "Everest" or "Realtek". In my case I have "Realtek5651Subsystem.xml" which tells me I have a Realtek audio chipset. You can do the same on system images that OP uploaded too to make sure it's compatible with your device.
The Following User Says Thank You to shaun279 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shaun279 Ad-Free
9th February 2020, 06:47 AM |#783  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun279

Just out of curiosity, what's your IFWI version? I'm able to dual boot into it and have complete access to all of the partitions.

Also If you want to check what audio chipset

Ifwi version is M882_JJ.015. Dual boot it as in Linux? Or windows? I am not sure about bit system. I have read many Intel based tablets can be modified with correct Intel firmware software. I have root so umm i just looked audio subsystem up with mixplorer. It's Realtek5651.
9th February 2020, 09:17 AM |#784  

More
Quote:

Ifwi version is M882_JJ.015. Dual boot it as in Linux? Or windows? I am not sure about bit system. I have read many Intel based tablets can be modified with correct Intel firmware software. I have root so umm i just looked audio subsystem up with mixplorer. It's Realtek5651.

I managed to boot into Ubuntu from micro sd card but had a whole bunch of issues so I only used it as a utility to repartition the storage to get me some extra gigs and unbrick the device from screwing around.
9th February 2020, 02:04 PM |#785  

More
Quote:

I managed to boot into Ubuntu from micro sd card but had a whole bunch of issues so I only used it as a utility to repartition the storage to get me some extra gigs and unbrick the device from screwing around.

Do you remember what versions worked best in yours? On Current os it is kind of a turd. Especially considering the processor. It hangs and gets the warning message is taking a long time works you like to end the process message.
9th February 2020, 03:32 PM |#786  

More
Quote:

Do you remember what versions worked best in yours? On Current os it is kind of a turd. Especially considering the processor. It hangs and gets the warning message is taking a long time works you like to end the process message.

Ubuntu on this device is pretty much broken. Touchsceeen doesn't work and is super slow. I wasn't able to run any other distro. If you still would like to boot into Ubuntu anyway and play around with the system, lookup "Linuxium isorespin.sh intel atom". I never tried windows, probably even worse I would imagine.

You can try debloating your system with Link2SD. It's a powerful app and can easily brick your device so make a backup first and research what the app does before you disable it and you should be good. Went from about 30 apps to 10 apps and noticed some improvement. Note that you only have 1 gig of RAM so you'll have to keep yourself from having too many processes running. In developer settings all the way down, you can configure apps to never run in background.
9th February 2020, 05:30 PM |#787  

More
Quote:

Ubuntu on this device is pretty much broken. Touchsceeen doesn't work and is super slow. I wasn't able to run any other distro. If you still would like to boot into Ubuntu anyway and play around with the system, lookup "Linuxium isorespin.sh intel atom". I never tried windows, probably even worse I would imagine.

You can try debloating your system with Link2SD. It's a powerful app and can easily brick your device so make a backup first and research what the app does before you disable it and you should be good. Went from about 30 apps to 10 apps and noticed some improvement. Note that you only have 1 gig of RAM so you'll have to keep yourself from having too many processes running. In developer settings all the way down, you can configure apps to never run in background.

I know all about removing apps and limiting background apps. I even limited the processor to 1.44ghz so it wouldn't overheat and turn the screen brightness down. I mean it seems like your saying even then you have issues. It's a shame I have a Asus a1-850 running an Intel processor with 1gb of ram and it doesn't show down like this. It's even one generation earlier processor. It isn't running a 64 bit os though, never checked this one. I guess Nextbook os was build shotty. I have also had a Windows in tablet that only had 1gb it's team on the same older processor. It ran fine but had several limited application selection that would run on it. I assume this had got efi then since you got Linux to run. That's neat but pointless if it runs poorly. Guess I should have guessed Android 5.1+ -6.0 had issues even on arm. My s5 note 3 and note all had issues with it. Here I was hoping for a cheap decent tv box.
9th February 2020, 06:17 PM |#788  

More
Quote:

I know all about removing apps and limiting background apps. I even limited the processor to 1.44ghz so it wouldn't overheat and turn the screen brightness down. I mean it seems like your saying even then you have issues. It's a shame I have a Asus a1-850 running an Intel processor with 1gb of ram and it doesn't show down like this. It's even one generation earlier processor. It isn't running a 64 bit os though, never checked this one. I guess Nextbook os was build shotty. I have also had a Windows in tablet that only had 1gb it's team on the same older processor. It ran fine but had several limited application selection that would run on it. I assume this had got efi then since you got Linux to run. That's neat but pointless if it runs poorly. Guess I should have guessed Android 5.1+ -6.0 had issues even on arm. My s5 note 3 and note all had issues with it. Here I was hoping for a cheap decent tv box.

Hmm I might actually try to run windows 10 and see how it goes

Update: With otg cable + keyboard, I booted into UEFI by pressing Escape, then Boot Selection, selected the micro sd card and booted straight to blue screen with error saying not enough memory. I don't have the 32 bit version .iso of windows 10 and my internet is super slow right now. Looks promising though

In UEFI there are some settings related to thermal stuff so maybe that could help but be highly cautious of changing anything. I had another nextbook, the only difference is it has a Everest audio chipset, changed one setting in UEFI and boom, complete brick now.
The Following User Says Thank You to shaun279 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shaun279 Ad-Free
9th February 2020, 09:15 PM |#789  

More
Quote:

Hmm I might actually try to run windows 10 and see how it goes

Update: With otg cable + keyboard, I booted into UEFI by pressing Escape, then Boot Selection, selected the micro sd card and booted straight to blue screen with error saying not enough memory. I don't have the 32 bit version .iso of windows 10 and my internet is super slow right now. Looks promising though

In UEFI there are some settings related to thermal stuff so maybe that could help but be highly cautious of changing anything. I had another nextbook, the only difference is it has a Everest audio chipset, changed one setting in UEFI and boom, complete brick now.

Oh wow it's crazy it bricked that easy. It's hard believe it wouldn't boot back into uefi. I have read on intel tools for that. Many tablets don't have such easy to access uefi. I don't have 32 but Windows either but drivers are super important too. Of course it sounds like pretty well supported drivers considering it has realtek audio and Intel atom is has GPU built in. The display though might be an issue. I think all that would limit is touchscreen though.
12th February 2020, 12:26 AM |#790  

More
Been playing around with the UEFI settings while being cautious, so far no brick. I disabled HPET which was enabled by default in UEFI and immediantly noticed a huge increase in responsiveness. Give it a try and see how it works for you

WARNING: CHANGING ANY OTHER SETTING MIGHT PERMENANTLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE, there is currently no way to reset the UEFI.

You'll need a keyboard and a OTG cable. Turn off your nextbook then hold the power button and spam the Escape button, doing both at the same time until you see the selection menu. Use the arrow keys to navigate and enter SCU. Go to Advanced tab, Chipset Configuration, then Miscellaneous Configuration. Set "HPET - HPET Support" to disabled then finally press F10 on your keyboard to save and exit.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nextbook ares 8a 6.0.1 root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)