FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Palm PVG100 - Battery Life - A Fix!

268 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By snoopy20, Senior Member on 26th November 2019, 10:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi All,

I've had appalling battery life for a while typically dropping 30% in 3hrs and 90% overnight with the screen off, the software as clean as I could get it (all Google apps disabled) and wifi/bluetooth off. Despite this I couldn't fix the unreasonable drain. There wasn't anything obvious in adb logcat either which suggested something was going on when disconnected from a power source.

Anyhow, I've now solved it. Overnight I got a drain from 100% to, wait for it... 98%!

Here's how to do it. First if you use Google Play Services (or the apps that rely on it) you're out of luck - so try to consider alternative apps.

Enable development mode.

Run the following in an adb shell to clear out verizon crap.

Code:
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.cloudsetupwizard'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.mips.services'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.hss.myverizon'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.jrd.verizonuriintentservice'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.llkagent'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.apnlib'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.hss.myverizon'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.tcl.vzwintents'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.tct.vzwwifioffload'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.ecid'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.easvalidation'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.customermobile.preload.vzw'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vcast.mediamanager'
Then disable all the Google/Verizon apps including Google Play. You can use F-Droid to install Aurora for Google Play access without the overhead. I installed a lot of open source replacements via F-Droid like "OpenLauncher" for the home, QKSMS for messages, OsmAnd for GPS navigation at this point.

Google Play Services can't be disabled normally and this is the battery killer. I theorise there's another system app using this framework and that is actually responsible for the battery drain. Disabling Google Play Services would stop this app from running. Go to Settings -> Security & Location -> Device Administrators & disable Google Play Services. You'll now find Google Play Services can be disabled in Apps.

Your phone will be fairly clean at this point and you should see a massive gain in battery life, I sure have.

Cheers,
Andrew
27th November 2019, 02:17 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Thanks for your post! I think this will become the most important topic, battery life. I have to say I'm also able to get amazing life without removing Google Play Services. What OS Revision (update level) are you at? I'm at 1AMD. Since the 1AMD update (I think this is the 3rd update), everything has been much better battery wise. However I'm using LifeMode, have Accubattery and Greenify, and I also close ALL apps before I power off the screen. I think you'll find prior to 1AMD update you will be racking your brain on what causes the Battery Drain. I'd sometimes get 4-5 days with minimal use, I'd sometimes get a few hours. 1AMD is much more reliable.

That being said, let's see how we can optimize without removing google play services (removal of Verizon bloatware is totally cool), as 99% of the users on here are not going to remove Google Play Services).

1. Are you using Lifemode?
2. Are you saying Google Play Services are draining the battery when the screen is off?
3. What apps are you using to monitor the battery drain.
4. Which Build Number are you using on your phone?

- Ben
27th November 2019, 02:18 PM |#3  

More
Here's a screenshot of my use right now. No mods, update 1AMD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191127-080228.png
Views:	106
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	4888105  
27th November 2019, 03:58 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensdeals

Here's a screenshot of my use right now. No mods, update 1AMD

Guys, it's not a matter of the update, or better, they might have set something the the apps behavior to convince us that we should upgrade to 1AMD version, because (is it by casualty?...) the battery problems came at once to me and other users at the same time when Verizon released 1AMD!
Does anyone have any news from deadman96385 , who said he would have released his guide to root the phone?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...5&postcount=45
Here he says: "But if i can't figure it out this week i'll release my current method so at least there will be something for people to use." on the 12th of November 2019...
27th November 2019, 04:03 PM |#5  

More
I have changed nothing with my phone since the update. It absolutely has better battery life, however this is likely fixes with Lifemode or something else. I wouldn't state that the updates don't fix battery drain issues, because that is not correct.
27th November 2019, 04:05 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensdeals

I have changed nothing with my phone since the update. It absolutely has better battery life, however this is likely fixes with Lifemode or something else. I wouldn't state that the updates don't fix battery drain issues, because that is not correct.

WARNING! Updating to that patch probably fixes the vulnerability to the ONLY EXPLOIT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE TO ROOT THE PHONE, RENDERING THE ROOT IMPOSSIBLE!
27th November 2019, 04:11 PM |#7  

More
Thats fine. Many people dont care about root. This is strictly a Battery Life thread for anyone regardless of root, not just future rooter/bootloader unlockers. this is important, as the device is still supported and updates are rolling out.

many people will get the phone at this patch/update level.
27th November 2019, 05:02 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
The phone continues to infuriate. I had it perfect and then last night the phone drained again from 100% to 0%. The night before it only lost 2%. I have nothing installed, it's the cleanest I can get it without root. I don't use lifemode but background data sync is off.

I'm on v2AGA-0. I'm unable to update, perhaps because I'm in the UK, though root may become important later on if the phone continues it's quirks.

Palm support is non existent.
27th November 2019, 05:04 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
N/A, unable to delete.
28th November 2019, 10:31 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Another night of spectacularly low usage, woke up and still on 100%! Not realistic but the algorithm will be taking into consideration the high usage of the night before. I better not touch anything now.
1st December 2019, 06:34 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Still looking good. I have confirmed one problem area though.

If you're using the phone for USB tethering and put the pc/laptop to sleep it will probably reset the enumeration into power only mode. When tethering the phone doesn't reconnect into power only mode and causes a serious power drain (about 15% per hour). I've no idea why but it's consistent and maybe this is why they hid the tethering support. Be sure to unplug the phone or disable tethering before putting the pc/laptop into standby.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
palm-palm

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)