FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Recovery][Kernel] Install TWRP, remove encryption, and get Magisk on the Visible R2

82 posts
Thanks Meter: 42

By FEGuy, Member on 1st August 2019, 06:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th October 2019, 09:23 AM |#91  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Info 2 Feedback on Visible service and R2 case & screen protector
Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf

Who's actually using the visible service? I'm getting ready to activate it and wanted to see how it's been for folks.

Most of the time it's great. However, they definitely deprioritize the hell out of it with QoS compared to Verizon subscribers, and possibly even compared to some or all other Verizon MVNOs, per some observations. Occasionally it can become so slow or get so much packet loss that my horrible lowest-speed-available DSL line becomes preferable. If you live in a non-congested area (e.g. due to low population density), your experience may be better. For the same reason, it tends to be slowest during peak daytime hours, and fastest in the middle of the night.

Quote:

Did those who activated get the case and screen protector one person mentioned? I'd like to know before I order a case and glass screen protector off amazon if this is going to be my daily driver. Thanks!

Yes, but you don't get them until after you've paid your second month's bill. The case is great; very grippy. The screen protector I elected not to use, since A) I didn't find it possible to 100% eliminate air bubbles; B) if you have difficulty tuning out visual annoyances, as I do, you may be irritated by the rainbow effects you get on the sides of the screen protector when you tilt the phone; C) the oleophobic coating seems to be noticeably inferior to the screen's coating.

Without the screen protector on there, tapping or dragging things on the very edges of the screen can be more difficult than without it, since there's a bit of a ridge that the screen is recessed below, but I haven't found that to be that much of an annoyance.
5th October 2019, 03:23 PM |#92  
Thanks Meter: 1,317

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dib Membrane

Most of the time it's great. However, they definitely deprioritize the hell out of it with QoS compared to Verizon subscribers, and possibly even compared to some or all other Verizon MVNOs, per some observations. Occasionally it can become so slow or get so much packet loss that my horrible lowest-speed-available DSL line becomes preferable. If you live in a non-congested area (e.g. due to low population density), your experience may be better. For the same reason, it tends to be slowest during peak daytime hours, and fastest in the middle of the night.

Yes, but you don't get them until after you've paid your second month's bill. The case is great; very grippy. The screen protector I elected not to use, since A) I didn't find it possible to 100% eliminate air bubbles; B) if you have difficulty tuning out visual annoyances, as I do, you may be irritated by the rainbow effects you get on the sides of the screen protector when you tilt the phone; C) the oleophobic coating seems to be noticeably inferior to the screen's coating.

Without the screen protector on there, tapping or dragging things on the very edges of the screen can be more difficult than without it, since there's a bit of a ridge that the screen is recessed below, but I haven't found that to be that much of an annoyance.

Appreciate the followup. I'll assume the screen protector they send isn't glass then? Those are fairly easy to get the bubbles out and have saved my phones a couple of times by taking an impact that would have broken the screen.
5th October 2019, 11:42 PM |#93  

More
Info 2 Further info on R2 screen protector & case
[Update: Please disregard the parts of this post saying the screen protector is plastic — apparently it is glass (see the next post for more on that).]

No, it appears to be plastic. I haven't used a screen protector in years; the last one I used was a very flexible piece of plastic film, and getting all the bubbles out was tricky but doable. This one is a fairly rigid piece of plastic, and it has some tendency to lift at the edges, so even if you get all the bubbles out, they can come back that way.

I'm not super-concerned about screen protection, as I only ever cracked the screen on one device, an iPod Touch that I dropped against the rim of a jacuzzi, and it went in the water after that, so it was toast regardless. If I ever drop my R2 face-down, I'm thinking the ridge of the rubber case will most likely prevent the screen from getting cracked. I'd have to drop it on something hard and projecting, like a sharp stone, to crack it.

It would bum me out if the screen got scratched by sand in a pocket or something, but I guess I'll risk it for the better oleophobic coating, better screen feel, and lack of irritating bubbles or pieces of dust/lint trapped under the protector. Not sure if anyone makes a high-end screen protector that would be a perfect fit on the R2 anyhow.
6th October 2019, 07:04 AM |#94  

More
Info 2 Screen protector is apparently tempered glass
Oh. Sorry, I was just looking at the packaging the screen protector and case came in, and it's labeled "ZTE R2 Tempered Glass Protector". So apparently though it feels like plastic to me, it is in fact glass (assuming the label on the packaging isn't inaccurate). This is the first glass screen protector I've handled, so I'm none-too-expert on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dib Membrane For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dib Membrane Ad-Free
6th October 2019, 03:39 PM |#95  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you so much.
29th October 2019, 12:00 AM |#96  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
EDL not working?
When I "adb reboot edl" everything goes dark (off?) I'm not sure if the bootloader is really unlocked on mine, I did dev tools and changed that setting but I'm unable to "adb reboot bootloader" to use fastboot.

Any ideas where I went wrong?
30th October 2019, 03:12 AM |#97  

More
I have installed phhusson AOSP 10.0 v201 filename: system-quack-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img.xz on my visible r2 for those interested.

Edit: system-quack-arm64-aonly-gapps.img.xz (Gapps version) is also working
31st October 2019, 07:53 PM |#98  

More
Installing Android 10.0 on ZTE Visible R2
I bought two zte visible r2's and already have android 10 on my first. I am installing 10 on my 2nd phone right out of the box.

1. Follow directions for Part 1 then Part 2 in the OP.
2. Download, Extract, & copy to internal storage or sdcard which version you like from github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/releases/tag/v201
----Android 10 AOSP: system-quack-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img.xz
----Android 10 with GAPPS: system-quack-arm64-aonly-gapps.img.xz
3. Boot into TWRP, Install, Install Image, and select the IMG you copied.
4. Flash to System Image then confirm.
5. Go back and select Wipe then do a Factory Reset.
6. Reboot to system.

Not currently working:
Camera & Flash

Current Version: AOSP 10.0 v201

Troubleshooting:
Q. Stuck on black screen immediately after bootup?
A. You installed the Patched kernel required for the later version of Magisk. Download the stock B12 firmware (Link in OP) extract and install the boot.img in TWRP.

Thank you OP for the guide & anyone else that played a part.

Edit: Thanks & Troubleshooting
The Following User Says Thank You to Romphone For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Romphone Ad-Free
6th November 2019, 12:08 AM |#99  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romphone

I bought two zte visible r2's and already have android 10 on my first. I am installing 10 on my 2nd phone right out of the box.

1. Follow directions for Part 1 then Part 2 in the OP.
2. Download, Extract, & copy to internal storage or sdcard which version you like from github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/releases/tag/v201
----Android 10 AOSP: system-quack-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img.xz
----Android 10 with GAPPS: system-quack-arm64-aonly-gapps.img.xz
3. Boot into TWRP, Install, Install Image, and select the IMG you copied.
4. Flash to System Image then confirm.
5. Go back and select Wipe then do a Factory Reset.
6. Reboot to system.

Not currently working:
Camera & Flash

Current Version: AOSP 10.0 v201

Troubleshooting:
Q. Stuck on black screen immediately after bootup?
A. You installed the Patched kernel required for the later version of Magisk. Download the stock B12 firmware (Link in OP) extract and install the boot.img in TWRP.

Thank you OP for the guide & anyone else that played a part.

Edit: Thanks & Troubleshooting

Are you able to flash magisk?
I tried V19 to v20.1 magisk, and also magisk-phh.zip custom magisk and the phone would just power off after the zte screen.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

@FEGuy,
I noticed that in phone info (*#*#4636#*#*), we can only select network type starting with "L" in the preferred network type option. The option won't stick if we choose other modes not starting with "L".
So I guess ZTE is limiting the network mode to LTE only with a simple regex expression in the kernel.
Since you know how to modify and compile the kernel, I am wondering if you can look for a line of code with regular expression to limit the modes starting with "L".
If we can set the preferred network mode to other modes like GSM after modifying the kernel, we may be able to use call and messages on other carriers.
You can try it if you have time. Thanks.
7th November 2019, 07:59 AM |#100  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlephoneFKLenAsh

I tried V19 to v20.1 magisk, and also magisk-phh.zip custom magisk and the phone would just power off after the zte screen.[COLOR="Silver"]

I have tried a few different ways, but end up looping like you. I just pulled the boot from the b12 stock file and flashed the image in twrp. Takes out magisk, but the rom is rooted.
14th November 2019, 03:15 AM |#101  
OP Member
Flag Marquette, MI
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Looks like Visible's got some new phones available for new customers to swap for - the Moto e6 is pretty similar to the R2, although the upgraded Snapdragon 435 comes at the expense of USB-C and a fingerprint scanner. The ZTE Blade A7 Prime is more of an upgrade but uses a Mediatek processor and explicitly states that it's LTE-only; it'll likely present the same challenges as the R2 did in terms of rooting, recovery, etc., perhaps moreso if there's not a similar enough TWRP tree to base a recovery on. Interestingly the internal hardware seems different from the regular Blade A7 despite using the same body. I'd recommend either one over the R2, really, but neither are great as anything more than a backup or a toy. I'm halfway tempted to pick up that Blade just for the sake of messing with it, but I'm guessing I'd have to open another Visible account, trade in another old phone, and pay for at least a month of service that won't even work, so... maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlephoneFKLenAsh

I tried V19 to v20.1 magisk, and also magisk-phh.zip custom magisk and the phone would just power off after the zte screen.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

@FEGuy,
I noticed that in phone info (*#*#4636#*#*), we can only select network type starting with "L" in the preferred network type option. The option won't stick if we choose other modes not starting with "L".
So I guess ZTE is limiting the network mode to LTE only with a simple regex expression in the kernel.
Since you know how to modify and compile the kernel, I am wondering if you can look for a line of code with regular expression to limit the modes starting with "L".
If we can set the preferred network mode to other modes like GSM after modifying the kernel, we may be able to use call and messages on other carriers.
You can try it if you have time. Thanks.

I've noticed when upgrading Magisk through the manager that it doesn't exactly work out as expected. I think something's up with the way the image gets repacked or flashed, but I've never had the time to look at it in depth. When I upgraded to v20.1, I reflashed the Magisk-ready boot image, flashed the Magisk v20 zip, rebooted, and uninstalled the extra copy of Magisk Manager that the new installation spawned (this probably will only happen if you're using Magisk Hide to obfuscate the Manager app). I have no idea if that'll work for the Magisk image for the Android 10 GSIs, but regardless I'll try to amend the guide this weekend.

As for the network types... that's a bit of a goose chase, with a few too many assumptions for my liking. I'm not entirely certain it's just a regex thing, and even if it were I doubt it'd be in the kernel so much as one of the software packages. The size of the kernel presents another headache - even with a script to identify every declaration of a regular expression, combing through each of them, where they are, what they do, etc. would be a massive time sink, and to be honest I don't really have the time or energy to do anything else related to this phone at the moment.

It's worth noting that any of the stuff in that menu that starts with L starts with LTE, which is the default setting (ro.preferred.network.mode, or something) in one of the .prop files in the vendor partition; I briefly changed it from the default value (11, I think?) on my device without any luck; I think the changed values stuck to some extent without actually changing anything, but I've since reset my vendor partition to stock (other than editing the fstabs to disable force encryption).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
zte-visible-r2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)