FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Recovery][Kernel] Install TWRP, remove encryption, and get Magisk on the Visible R2

82 posts
Thanks Meter: 43

By FEGuy, Member on 1st August 2019, 06:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th November 2019, 03:15 AM |#101  
OP Member
Flag Marquette, MI
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Looks like Visible's got some new phones available for new customers to swap for - the Moto e6 is pretty similar to the R2, although the upgraded Snapdragon 435 comes at the expense of USB-C and a fingerprint scanner. The ZTE Blade A7 Prime is more of an upgrade but uses a Mediatek processor and explicitly states that it's LTE-only; it'll likely present the same challenges as the R2 did in terms of rooting, recovery, etc., perhaps moreso if there's not a similar enough TWRP tree to base a recovery on. Interestingly the internal hardware seems different from the regular Blade A7 despite using the same body. I'd recommend either one over the R2, really, but neither are great as anything more than a backup or a toy. I'm halfway tempted to pick up that Blade just for the sake of messing with it, but I'm guessing I'd have to open another Visible account, trade in another old phone, and pay for at least a month of service that won't even work, so... maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlephoneFKLenAsh

Are you able to flash magisk?
I tried V19 to v20.1 magisk, and also magisk-phh.zip custom magisk and the phone would just power off after the zte screen.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

@FEGuy,
I noticed that in phone info (*#*#4636#*#*), we can only select network type starting with "L" in the preferred network type option. The option won't stick if we choose other modes not starting with "L".
So I guess ZTE is limiting the network mode to LTE only with a simple regex expression in the kernel.
Since you know how to modify and compile the kernel, I am wondering if you can look for a line of code with regular expression to limit the modes starting with "L".
If we can set the preferred network mode to other modes like GSM after modifying the kernel, we may be able to use call and messages on other carriers.
You can try it if you have time. Thanks.

I've noticed when upgrading Magisk through the manager that it doesn't exactly work out as expected. I think something's up with the way the image gets repacked or flashed, but I've never had the time to look at it in depth. When I upgraded to v20.1, I reflashed the Magisk-ready boot image, flashed the Magisk v20 zip, rebooted, and uninstalled the extra copy of Magisk Manager that the new installation spawned (this probably will only happen if you're using Magisk Hide to obfuscate the Manager app). I have no idea if that'll work for the Magisk image for the Android 10 GSIs, but regardless I'll try to amend the guide this weekend.

As for the network types... that's a bit of a goose chase, with a few too many assumptions for my liking. I'm not entirely certain it's just a regex thing, and even if it were I doubt it'd be in the kernel so much as one of the software packages. The size of the kernel presents another headache - even with a script to identify every declaration of a regular expression, combing through each of them, where they are, what they do, etc. would be a massive time sink, and to be honest I don't really have the time or energy to do anything else related to this phone at the moment.

It's worth noting that any of the stuff in that menu that starts with L starts with LTE, which is the default setting (ro.preferred.network.mode, or something) in one of the .prop files in the vendor partition; I briefly changed it from the default value (11, I think?) on my device without any luck; I think the changed values stuck to some extent without actually changing anything, but I've since reset my vendor partition to stock (other than editing the fstabs to disable force encryption).
30th November 2019, 05:16 PM |#102  
Flag Arizona
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Instructions work great. Successful on 3 different R2's. Anyone have success installing a newer version of Magisk? If so, can you please provide instructions. Thanks
3rd December 2019, 05:18 AM |#103  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Need help with a boot loop. Still have twrp loops at zte screen did the force encryption then restarted I've spent the day trying everything twro no longer sees images flashed my backup even tried to flash stock firmware on PC nothing works. I thought no matter I could wipe everything and put my backup on and that would fix it but no go. Any help on what to do in stuck?
6th December 2019, 04:15 AM |#104  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Any ideas on preventing Android from doing system updates once rooted? I may be behind the curve on all the progress that has been made for this phone, though I suspect that updates are why magisk v16.7 disappeared after having gained root successfully for a few good hours of use.

Since then installing updated magisk broke the OS and then installing the stock B12 firmware through QFIL and from TWRP were unsuccessful. I did get resurrection remix pie to run but without Visible service.

While I'm asking questions, might I have better luck installing the stock ROM from TWRP as an image, rather than as a zip? If so, I'd be grateful for a download link if anyone is feeling generous. I was unsuccessful at compiling the B12 stock files into an image and I'm sure that is because I don't know what I'm doing. My interest is to have root on whatever OS for a Visible hotspot where I can control the DNS settings for connected devices. I did order another $19 R2 and will try to use a backup from that to get the paperweight on my desk running again.

Sorry if there's too much word salad going on here and thanks for all of the community support!
9th December 2019, 06:10 AM |#105  
Thanks Meter: 1,317

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllowPing

Any ideas on preventing Android from doing system updates once rooted? I may be behind the curve on all the progress that has been made for this phone, though I suspect that updates are why magisk v16.7 disappeared after having gained root successfully for a few good hours of use.

Since then installing updated magisk broke the OS and then installing the stock B12 firmware through QFIL and from TWRP were unsuccessful. I did get resurrection remix pie to run but without Visible service.

While I'm asking questions, might I have better luck installing the stock ROM from TWRP as an image, rather than as a zip? If so, I'd be grateful for a download link if anyone is feeling generous. I was unsuccessful at compiling the B12 stock files into an image and I'm sure that is because I don't know what I'm doing. My interest is to have root on whatever OS for a Visible hotspot where I can control the DNS settings for connected devices. I did order another $19 R2 and will try to use a backup from that to get the paperweight on my desk running again.

Sorry if there's too much word salad going on here and thanks for all of the community support!

No one can provide you an image as unless they knew what partitions to exclude it would also include their imei information among others. If you have twrp installed you should be able to get one of the A-only treble images to flash..this would prevent updates and let you use pie or even android 10. Using a treble image WILL get past the hard coded limit of only letting one device tether. I strongly suggest you start from scratch and use the stock software posted in the other thread to restore to factory if nothing else.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
zte-visible-r2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)