FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Recovery][Kernel] Install TWRP, remove encryption, and get Magisk on the Visible R2

78 posts
Thanks Meter: 34

By FEGuy, Member on 1st August 2019, 05:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st August 2019, 02:06 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1,307

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEGuy

Did you still have Magisk installed at the time? I'd have recommended uninstalling Magisk using the uninstaller zip from the 16.7 release before replacing the boot image; if there's still Magisk data in /data then booting with a non-Magisk boot image is probably going to cause issues.

In the meantime, I guess I'll update the TWRP zip with the signed recovery image, just in case.

I tried the current installer which failed. I didn't locate the 16.7 uninstaller.

*update* I did finally locate the 16.7 Magisk Uninstaller.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Magisk-uninstaller-20180719.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.25 MB, 176 views)

1st August 2019, 05:05 PM |#12  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Did you still have Magisk installed at the time? I'd have recommended uninstalling Magisk using the uninstaller zip from the 16.7 release before replacing the boot image; if there's still Magisk data in /data then booting with a non-Magisk boot image is probably going to cause issues.

In the meantime, I guess I'll update the TWRP zip with the signed recovery image, just in case.

I also installed open gapps pico pie amd64 version on top of the pie rom without issue. I have magisk 16.7 working with treble without issue so maybe it was just the newer versions that had issues?
2nd August 2019, 05:24 PM |#13  

Donate to Me
More
My 2nd R2 (You are a bad influence) arrived today. Anything you need tested on a stock model? Here's hoping qdl/qfil cooperates 1 last time.

When you were patching the kernel did you see anything that was keeping the phone in LTE only mode for calls? When I get a minute I'm going to put my t-mobile sim into the R2 and see what it will do under the pie rom but since it's still using same kernel I wondered if that would be an issue. We know on the stock rom all calls have to use VOLTE.
2nd August 2019, 07:52 PM |#14  
OP Member
Flag Marquette, MI

More
I haven't figured that much out yet, unfortunately. I don't know if it's due to the way the kernel is built, or custom libraries distributed on the vendor partition, or what. From what I can tell, the bands are properly unlocked in the NVRAM, and I don't really know enough about modem firmware to make heads or tails of those files.

I will note that for people using the phone on Visible, using a non-stock ROM works for getting around the one-connected-device-per-hotspot limit.
The Following User Says Thank You to FEGuy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FEGuy Ad-Free
2nd August 2019, 08:07 PM |#15  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I haven't figured that much out yet, unfortunately. I don't know if it's due to the way the kernel is built, or custom libraries distributed on the vendor partition, or what. From what I can tell, the bands are properly unlocked in the NVRAM, and I don't really know enough about modem firmware to make heads or tails of those files.

I will note that for people using the phone on Visible, using a non-stock ROM works for getting around the one-connected-device-per-hotspot limit.

Had a couple of thoughts...a quick and dirty method to provide "flash and go" rom's might be to do a nandroid of just system or maybe system and boot for whatever rom and make that available for download. I also know there are methods to convert a nandroid into a flashable zip although I haven't done it before. This was more a thought for folks wanting to go to b12 that already had twrp...simple enough for an existing b12 user to back up system. I have verified swapping between nandroid pie vs stock oreo works ok (assuming you are restoring the right data for each). Also the fingerprint "images" continued to work fine after a restore.....on a previous device when we did a nandroid restore we would have to delete the file storing pin/fingerprints as they wouldn't let you into the phone until re-recorded. It also worked if you remember to turn those OFF before doing the backup....wasn't an issue with the R2. The phone is noticeably more responsive on pie than it was with stock oreo. I'm curious whether you found that to be the case with treble oreo?

Oh minor annoyance....I changed the device id to z5151 which is what it showed under stock but when doing an adb shell the command line is "phhgsi_arm64_a:/" Do you know how to change that? This will change it temporarily till next login: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...efore-the-mark
3rd August 2019, 01:14 AM |#16  
OP Member
Flag Marquette, MI

More
You could try using setprop as root to set ro.build.product or ro.product.device back to Z5151, or manually edit the build.prop; beyond that, I don't know of a simpler way.
The Following User Says Thank You to FEGuy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FEGuy Ad-Free
3rd August 2019, 09:47 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'm having trouble getting the mobile data working on pie,
I can search for networks and it finds visible but it wont connect.
3rd August 2019, 11:03 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
thanks!!!!!!!!
3rd August 2019, 11:45 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangolizardy

I'm having trouble getting the mobile data working on pie,
I can search for networks and it finds visible but it wont connect.

The visible apn was missing from my pie,
If you're an idiot like me and flashed to pie before backing up "apns-config.xml" then here is the stock one with the visible apn settings: mega(.)nz/#!t5o2mKDL!qVHZijM-MhfLyZwmkrkQ7OddepV7xQVBsRbQr1AhCLY
Remove the () Someone else can maybe post the intact link as i seem to be unable to.

After this 4G works like a charm.
The Following User Says Thank You to rangolizardy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rangolizardy Ad-Free
3rd August 2019, 03:55 PM |#20  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

If you're an idiot like me and flashed to pie before backing up "apns-config.xml" then here is the stock one with the visible apn settings: mega(.)nz/#!t5o2mKDL!qVHZijM-MhfLyZwmkrkQ7OddepV7xQVBsRbQr1AhCLY
Remove the () Someone else can maybe post the intact link as i seem to be unable to.

Posted for rangolizardy: http://mega.nz/#!t5o2mKDL!qVHZijM-Mh...QVBsRbQr1AhCLY

Any other important tweaks anyone has made to the treble pie image?
Factory Wallpapers are here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...62&postcount=2
The Following User Says Thank You to famewolf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift famewolf Ad-Free
3rd August 2019, 04:56 PM |#21  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I don't suppose you tried making a call with a non visible sim to see if it worked under pie? If not I plan to do so at some point.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
zte-visible-r2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)