FORUMS

[Recovery][Kernel] [8.1] Install TWRP, remove encryption, get Magisk on Visible R2

89 posts
Thanks Meter: 52

By FEGuy, Member on 1st August 2019, 06:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th August 2019, 06:45 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 1,340

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnCarl

Definitely not.

Ok here are the questions for you:

Can you show a pic of the files in the folder and the contents of the rawprogram xml so we can verify the filenames match?

Did you remember to reload both rawprogram and patch0 when you moved things? If it's loading rawprogram from another dir it will expect the twrp image to be there as well.

Although it shouldn't matter on windows as much as it would on linux check the uppercase/lowercase to make sure it matches what's expected.

Can you show a screenshot of your QFIL screen showing the prog and patches loaded?

You actually ran the installer and are not just running qfil from the zip folder are you? Cause you should have an icon in your start menu named QFIL.
(Just trying to think of all the possibilities).

This is still there although I think it's because you might be running qfil from here? QSAHARASERVER CALLED LIKE THIS: 'C:\Users\Dad\Downloads\ZTE Visible R2\Qualcomm_Flash_Image_Loader_v2.0.1.9\QSaharaServe r.ex'Current working dir: C:\Users\Dad\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT _22

Can you put the whole folder for QFIL in TWRP under a folder and remove the spaces or make them underscores?
The Following User Says Thank You to famewolf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift famewolf Ad-Free
4th August 2019, 10:18 PM |#32  
New Haven
Thanks Meter: 32

More
I was able to get TWRP installed by downgrading to QFIL v1.0.0.2. No errors.

Now I can't connect with ABD while in TWRP. ABD connects fine outside of TWRP.
5th August 2019, 12:00 AM |#33  
OP Member
Flag Marquette, MI

More
I was going to suggest trying to install QPST to Program Files, but it looks like you got things worked out.

If ADB isn't working, try going to the Mount menu and tapping the Disable (or Enable) MTP button once or twice. USB connections don't seem to be initialized 100% properly.
5th August 2019, 01:59 AM |#34  
New Haven

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEGuy

If ADB isn't working, try going to the Mount menu and tapping the Disable (or Enable) MTP button once or twice. USB connections don't seem to be initialized 100% properly.

That was it! I did verify MTP was enabled, but I didn't consider toggling it on and off, I just started and killed ADB server about 500 times. After a few disable/enable toggles, ADB hooked up and I was good to go.

Flashed Magisk 16.7 without a hitch and disabled auto-update. All I wanted was root, so I'm happy.

Thanks again!
5th August 2019, 09:04 AM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I put one of the Pie roms on mine for fun, and MMS ended up working on T-Mobile, but calling still doesn't work on mine so far. Might try a different rom or two just to see, since the first didn't have auto-brightness for the screen as an option.
6th August 2019, 02:34 AM |#36  
New Haven

More
Looks like root access is wonky. Root apps have to keep asking for permission, and even when its granted they sometimes exit as denied.

I wonder if the forced encryption removal steps failed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190804_190533_HDR.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	4802311   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190804_190814.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	4802312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190805_201829.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	4802313   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190805_201841.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	4802314  
6th August 2019, 03:59 AM |#37  
OP Member
Flag Marquette, MI

More
Quote:

Looks like root access is wonky. Root apps have to keep asking for permission, and even when its granted they sometimes exit as denied.

I wonder if the forced encryption removal steps failed?

It actually seems like Magisk might've installed properly despite the data partition still being encrypted (did you replace the fstab and then format data?), but I don't think that's really the issue here. Might just be an issue with older versions of Magisk, I don't know; I've been using v19.3 and it's been going smoothly, although I did have one MAC changer that didn't have the permissions popup spawn at all.

Open up the Superuser menu in the Magisk Manager and there should be a list of apps asking for root permissions and an on/off slider for each of them, unless that's something that only got added in newer versions of Magisk.
6th August 2019, 04:24 AM |#38  
New Haven

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEGuy

It actually seems like Magisk might've installed properly despite the data partition still being encrypted (did you replace the fstab and then format data?), but I don't think that's really the issue here. Might just be an issue with older versions of Magisk, I don't know; I've been using v19.3 and it's been going smoothly, although I did have one MAC changer that didn't have the permissions popup spawn at all.

Open up the Superuser menu in the Magisk Manager and there should be a list of apps asking for root permissions and an on/off slider for each of them, unless that's something that only got added in newer versions of Magisk.

Yep, I followed the instructions exactly. I did check Magisk SU, but most of the time there's only one of three or four root apps even showing in there, and there's no way to add them manually. Sometimes you're prompted for root permissions and sometimes not, and even when you are and you grant it "forever", it can't always get root.

I'd start all over if I could figure out why removing forced encryption didn't work.
6th August 2019, 05:06 AM |#39  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yep, I followed the instructions exactly. I did check Magisk SU, but most of the time there's only one of three or four root apps even showing in there, and there's no way to add them manually. Sometimes you're prompted for root permissions and sometimes not, and even when you are and you grant it "forever", it can't always get root.

I'd start all over if I could figure out why removing forced encryption didn't work.

I did encounter an issue with adaway never polling Magisk for root which would then make it's attempt to replace the hosts file fail. I would encourage you to rethink running the patch boot and magisk 19.3. You will need to uninstall the v16.7 magisk first. The uninstaller is here: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/...r-20180719.zip

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Quote:

Even after you disable encryption in the fstab.qcom on vendor you have to select the "format data" under the wipe menu and not just do a "factory reset" which was insufficient when I tried it.

While in recovery you can do a "adb shell cat /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom" and verify the encryption portion is missing from the end of the list of attributes. You can compare it to the backup it directed you to make assuming you did.
7th August 2019, 10:27 PM |#40  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I need some help. I followed the directions and installed TWRP without any problems. Now I don't know what to do with the fstab.qcom file. I can get it inside TWRP and can find the file under Advanced then File Manager, but I don't know what to do with it. I tried going into Terminal and entering the codes in Part 2 but when I entered cp/vendor/ect/fstab.qcom external_sd/fstab.qcom.bak I got an error saying "cp: can't stat `/vendor/ect/fstab.qcom`: No such file or directory"
8th August 2019, 01:38 AM |#41  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharary

I need some help. I followed the directions and installed TWRP without any problems. Now I don't know what to do with the fstab.qcom file. I can get it inside TWRP and can find the file under Advanced then File Manager, but I don't know what to do with it. I tried going into Terminal and entering the codes in Part 2 but when I entered cp/vendor/ect/fstab.qcom external_sd/fstab.qcom.bak I got an error saying "cp: can't stat `/vendor/ect/fstab.qcom`: No such file or directory"

You need to use adb shell then cut and paste his commands...for a start there is a space between cp and /vendor and its /etc not /ect.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
zte-visible-r2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)