FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Recovery][Kernel] Install TWRP, remove encryption, and get Magisk on the Visible R2

78 posts
Thanks Meter: 34

By FEGuy, Member on 1st August 2019, 05:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th August 2019, 08:46 AM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 1,307

Donate to Me
More
[QUOTE=FEGuy;80115353]Sorry, I've barely been online the last couple of weeks; too much going on.

I haven't had the issue with the timestamps being ordered improperly, but I can look into it this weekend. The way the timestamp is written for folder names means it shouldn't be an issue unless the clock itself is wrong at one point or another, which is something I did run into on an earlier build but couldn't reproduce.

As for wifi not working with Magisk 19.3: Does the same happen if you use a clean version of the patched boot image, without Magisk installed? I suspect it's a conflict between the kernel and the existing wifi module on the vendor partition; while I was able to build the kernel so that it'd accept the stock kernel modules (thanks to ZTE's carelessness), I haven't looked at the differences between the kernel and modules between B10-B12. The kernel should accept the modules' signature regardless, but there are other issues that might prevent it from loading properly if they're built differently, and I haven't exactly had a wealth of configurations to test against.

/QUOTE]

I'll have to test for 19.3 without magisk but reverting to my nandroid 16.7 worked fine and wifi also worked.

25th August 2019, 04:52 PM |#72  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Does anyone know of a 3rd party visual voicemail app? Visible said the visual voicemail that comes with the R2 will not work.
26th August 2019, 02:42 AM |#73  
OP Member
Flag Marquette, MI

More
@famewolf Can you describe the error you're having with the backup timestamps in a bit more detail? I've noticed that on the stock ROM the time in TWRP should be fine (+/- the timezone settings), but after testing a Treble Pie ROM, TWRP shows the time/date as 1 January 2018 + (time since ROM initialization). I didn't get around to digging into it more but it'd help to know if it's the same issue you're having.
26th August 2019, 02:47 AM |#74  
Thanks Meter: 1,307

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEGuy

@famewolf Can you describe the error you're having with the backup timestamps in a bit more detail? I've noticed that on the stock ROM the time in TWRP should be fine (+/- the timezone settings), but after testing a Treble Pie ROM, TWRP shows the time/date as 1 January 2018 + (time since ROM initialization). I didn't get around to digging into it more but it'd help to know if it's the same issue you're having.

Yeah I'm on the phh treble pie rom so it's the same issue. I haven't really changed the rom since I initially moved from stock. In hindsight I should have mentioned that.
26th August 2019, 04:38 AM |#75  
OP Member
Flag Marquette, MI

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf

Yeah I'm on the phh treble pie rom so it's the same issue. I haven't really changed the rom since I initially moved from stock. In hindsight I should have mentioned that.

No worries, I'd have run up against it eventually either way. Sees like the system ROM might be using that same offset and then connecting to the network to get the 'proper' time, which is less than ideal. I'd have to take a closer look at what it's doing, but in the meantime there's a hackish solution if you're at your PC when making a backup - just run this script with your phone plugged in and ADB working, then make a backup. It's not ideal, especially since it won't stick between boots, but it's better than nothing, I guess.
30th August 2019, 08:16 PM |#76  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEGuy

Sorry, I've barely been online the last couple of weeks; too much going on.

Pothole 1 - I'm thinking this is my fault for not updating the guide. ADB rarely works in TRWP without toggling MTP disabled/enabled under Mount settings, or entering into then cancelling Sideload mode in Advanced settings. I made a note of this in the FAQs at the bottom but should've updated the guide to point to it.

Pothole 2 - Unfortunately this phone's been my first real foray into messing with Magisk, encryption, and kernel compilation for Android, so the best I've been able to do is write down what has and hasn't worked for me. Now that I've got a second phone to test with I'd like to do a bit more to concretely figure out the most exact or foolproof steps, but the last couple weeks haven't left me with a lot of free time.

Pothole 3 - I ran into a similar issue with a Consumer Cellular (AT&T) SIM, where it asked me to activate the hotspot feature on my Verizon plan. I've found this Tethering Enabler module works to enable the stock hotspot, although I don't know how well it works on older versions of Magisk. Additionally, it doesn't work to enable other hotspot apps like FoxFi, nor does it work around the stock ROM's one-device limit for the hotspot. This seems to be built into the system app, as the hotspot app when using a custom Treble-based ROM doesn't have the device limit.

----

I'm going to try to work on some testing, rebuilding, and refining the guide this weekend if I have the time. ZTE might actually update the phone to Pie next month, which I'm sure is going to cause a bunch more headaches, but I'll try to stay on top of that too.

Thanks for your reply (and the thread).

Re: Pothole #1. My fault for not reading your addendum. TRWP's ADB worked, so, no harm.

Re: Pothole #3. Thanks for the tethering activation link. For me, Netshare+ has advantages
over R2's stock tethering. Netshare+ allows multiple tethering clients, while the R2's stock
tethering allows only one client. Also, Netshare+ works with both my third-party VPNs--I
could never get either of my third-party VPNs to work with the R2's stock tethering.
Reddit had discussions about Visible and VPNs that I've not pursued.

As a side note, I'm not renewing my Visible/Verizon service, which comes due soon.
For me, Visible/Verizon service is erratic, ranging from 50 Kbps (yes, dialup modem speed!)
up to 40 Mbps, depending on cell tower traffic. By comparison, I also have unlimited Sprint
service (through The Calyx Institute) that has consistently provided 35-40 Mbps for years.
Both services cost about the same: Visible/Verizon: $480/year, Calyx/Sprint: $500/year
(a portion of which may be tax deductible). One R2 gets repurposed to PagePlus, while
the other gets freed up for more TRWP / Magisk hacking.
10th September 2019, 10:55 PM |#77  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Is anyone looking into how to reduce partition sizes for partitions such as system and cache so that we can get more user storage?
Currently system takes about 9GB storage in storage information, while it's only about 5-6GB on similar moto devices.
Hopefully we can repartition the phone and get about 3GB more user storage.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
zte-visible-r2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)