FORUMS

[RECOVERY] Nabi bigtab hd 20"

13 posts
Thanks Meter: 15
 
By lmortal, Junior Member on 19th February 2015, 10:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
TWRP recovery for Nabi Bigtab 20"
Must have unlocked bootloader


Download:attachment below

install via adb
"adb reboot-bootloader"
"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"



Compiled by me with help from @aicjofs
Attached Files
File Type: zip recovery.img.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.41 MB, 194 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lmortal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lmortal Ad-Free
27th December 2015, 03:15 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
I need help getting a fastboot driver to work for this tablet. So far I've had no luck. What drivers did you use?
24th June 2020, 05:54 PM |#3  
AlaskaLinuxUser's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks
Thanks Meter: 4,075
 
Donate to Me
More
Just in case others have this problem and arrive here....

I recently got a Nabi Big 20 HD tablet to use as a camera viewer in a nursery at our church. The only problem was, when I turned it on, it kept giving me an error, stating that I had to hook up to the wifi, and that the FUHU servers had a problem. Essentially, since Fuhu went out of business, you can’t connect to the fuhu servers.

Since you can’t connect to the servers, setup can’t be completed, and this 20″ tablet became a 20″ paperweight. Obviously, that would not do, so I figured out how to use fastboot mode, TWRP, and the advanced file manager to delete the unneeded junk to make the tablet functional again. Below are my instructions, performed from a Linux computer. You could do this from Windows as well, if you download the right tools.

Before you begin, you will need the TWRP recovery image, which you can get from here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rul6...g_20_hd_tablet or from https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...hd-20-t3035372

Power off the tablet.
Hold the volume up and power on buttons, and release them when you see the menu options.
NOTE: This is actually fastboot mode!
Perform an OEM unlock

[email protected]:~$ fastboot oem unlock
...
(bootloader) Showing Options on Display.
(bootloader) Use device keys for selection.
(bootloader) erasing userdata...
(bootloader) erasing userdata done
(bootloader) erasing cache...
(bootloader) erasing cache done
(bootloader) unlocking...
(bootloader) Bootloader is unlocked now.
OKAY [ 13.625s]
finished. total time: 13.625s
[email protected]:~$

After this it reboots and starts up again, so power off the tablet.
Hold the volume up and power on buttons again, release them when you see the menu options.
NOTE: Once again, this is actually fastboot mode!
Flash the recovery image.

[email protected]:~/Downloads$ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
target reported max download size of 643825664 bytes
sending 'recovery' (8646 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.313s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.314s]
finished. total time: 0.627s
[email protected]:~/Downloads$

From the still open menu, use the volume keys to scroll down to “recovery mode” and press the power button once to choose it. NOTE: it will show the NABI screen, then reboot into TWRP. Unfortunately, ADB does not work in this version of TWRP.
Go to “Mount” and check “System” and then click to disable MTP.
Press the home key or back key to get back to the main menu.
Click “Advanced”.
Click “file manager”.
Scroll to “priv-app” and select it.
Click on each of these items and choose to delete them:
fuhu_addapps2.apk
fuhu_appzone2.apk
fuhu_drmmanagerservice.apk
fuhu_nabiaccountmanager.apk
fuhu_nabiupdater.apk
–Personally, I just deleted all “fuhu” apps in this folder, but I think you only need those ones.
Then in the “app” folder, delete all the fuhu apps. Yes, I’m pretty sure you need to delete all of these ones.
Select the home or back button to get to the main TWRP screen.
Reboot to system.
Enjoy!
NOTE: It should start up, and may go through the Google setup (if you never started it before), and then will drop you off in “parent mode”.

At this point, I recommend installing a regular launcher, such as Trebuchet, Apex launcher, Nova launcher, etc. I used Apex launcher personally, because you can “hide” unwanted apps, and I use it to hide the unwanted Nabi apps. You should be able to see the Chrome browser in the parent mode window, use that to download the apk for the launcher you want (or use the Google account if you set up an account).

Once a launcher is installed, press the home key, and choose to always use the launcher you installed. You can now use this tablet as a regular Android tablet.

TWRP does have the option to install SuperSU and root the device. That’s completely up to you. Kingo Root also works incredibly well on this tablet. It will be stuck on Android 4.4.2, so it is a little outdated, but seems to work rather well. It was designed for gaming, so it is pretty powerful for as old as it is.

Linux – keep it simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	5047185  
The Following User Says Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
25th June 2020, 06:25 AM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

Just in case others have this problem and arrive here....

I recently got a Nabi Big 20 HD tablet to use as a camera viewer in a nursery at our church. The only problem was, when I turned it on, it kept giving me an error, stating that I had to hook up to the wifi, and that the FUHU servers had a problem. Essentially, since Fuhu went out of business, you can’t connect to the fuhu servers.

Since you can’t connect to the servers, setup can’t be completed, and this 20″ tablet became a 20″ paperweight. Obviously, that would not do, so I figured out how to use fastboot mode, TWRP, and the advanced file manager to delete the unneeded junk to make the tablet functional again. Below are my instructions, performed from a Linux computer. You could do this from Windows as well, if you download the right tools.

Before you begin, you will need the TWRP recovery image, which you can get from here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rul6...g_20_hd_tablet or from https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...hd-20-t3035372

Power off the tablet.
Hold the volume up and power on buttons, and release them when you see the menu options.
NOTE: This is actually fastboot mode!
Perform an OEM unlock

[email protected]:~$ fastboot oem unlock
...
(bootloader) Showing Options on Display.
(bootloader) Use device keys for selection.
(bootloader) erasing userdata...
(bootloader) erasing userdata done
(bootloader) erasing cache...
(bootloader) erasing cache done
(bootloader) unlocking...
(bootloader) Bootloader is unlocked now.
OKAY [ 13.625s]
finished. total time: 13.625s
[email protected]:~$

After this it reboots and starts up again, so power off the tablet.
Hold the volume up and power on buttons again, release them when you see the menu options.
NOTE: Once again, this is actually fastboot mode!
Flash the recovery image.

[email protected]:~/Downloads$ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
target reported max download size of 643825664 bytes
sending 'recovery' (8646 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.313s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.314s]
finished. total time: 0.627s
[email protected]:~/Downloads$

From the still open menu, use the volume keys to scroll down to “recovery mode” and press the power button once to choose it. NOTE: it will show the NABI screen, then reboot into TWRP. Unfortunately, ADB does not work in this version of TWRP.
Go to “Mount” and check “System” and then click to disable MTP.
Press the home key or back key to get back to the main menu.
Click “Advanced”.
Click “file manager”.
Scroll to “priv-app” and select it.
Click on each of these items and choose to delete them:
fuhu_addapps2.apk
fuhu_appzone2.apk
fuhu_drmmanagerservice.apk
fuhu_nabiaccountmanager.apk
fuhu_nabiupdater.apk
–Personally, I just deleted all “fuhu” apps in this folder, but I think you only need those ones.
Then in the “app” folder, delete all the fuhu apps. Yes, I’m pretty sure you need to delete all of these ones.
Select the home or back button to get to the main TWRP screen.
Reboot to system.
Enjoy!
NOTE: It should start up, and may go through the Google setup (if you never started it before), and then will drop you off in “parent mode”.

At this point, I recommend installing a regular launcher, such as Trebuchet, Apex launcher, Nova launcher, etc. I used Apex launcher personally, because you can “hide” unwanted apps, and I use it to hide the unwanted Nabi apps. You should be able to see the Chrome browser in the parent mode window, use that to download the apk for the launcher you want (or use the Google account if you set up an account).

Once a launcher is installed, press the home key, and choose to always use the launcher you installed. You can now use this tablet as a regular Android tablet.

TWRP does have the option to install SuperSU and root the device. That’s completely up to you. Kingo Root also works incredibly well on this tablet. It will be stuck on Android 4.4.2, so it is a little outdated, but seems to work rather well. It was designed for gaming, so it is pretty powerful for as old as it is.

Linux – keep it simple.

Woah, wasn't expecting to see you here.

Thanks for that guide, had one as well but had since sold it
The Following User Says Thank You to TipzTeam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TipzTeam Ad-Free
26th June 2020, 06:26 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thanks - the guide helped me unbrick my Nabi Big Tab 20"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

Just in case others have this problem and arrive here....

I recently got a Nabi Big 20 HD tablet to use as a camera viewer in a nursery at our church. The only problem was, when I turned it on, it kept giving me an error, stating that I had to hook up to the wifi, and that the FUHU servers had a problem. Essentially, since Fuhu went out of business, you can’t connect to the fuhu servers.

Since you can’t connect to the servers, setup can’t be completed, and this 20″ tablet became a 20″ paperweight. Obviously, that would not do, so I figured out how to use fastboot mode, TWRP, and the advanced file manager to delete the unneeded junk to make the tablet functional again. Below are my instructions, performed from a Linux computer. You could do this from Windows as well, if you download the right tools.

Before you begin, you will need the TWRP recovery image, which you can get from here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rul6...g_20_hd_tablet or from https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...hd-20-t3035372

Power off the tablet.
Hold the volume up and power on buttons, and release them when you see the menu options.
NOTE: This is actually fastboot mode!
Perform an OEM unlock

[email protected]:~$ fastboot oem unlock
...
(bootloader) Showing Options on Display.
(bootloader) Use device keys for selection.
(bootloader) erasing userdata...
(bootloader) erasing userdata done
(bootloader) erasing cache...
(bootloader) erasing cache done
(bootloader) unlocking...
(bootloader) Bootloader is unlocked now.
OKAY [ 13.625s]
finished. total time: 13.625s
[email protected]:~$

After this it reboots and starts up again, so power off the tablet.
Hold the volume up and power on buttons again, release them when you see the menu options.
NOTE: Once again, this is actually fastboot mode!
Flash the recovery image.

[email protected]:~/Downloads$ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
target reported max download size of 643825664 bytes
sending 'recovery' (8646 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.313s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.314s]
finished. total time: 0.627s
[email protected]:~/Downloads$

From the still open menu, use the volume keys to scroll down to “recovery mode” and press the power button once to choose it. NOTE: it will show the NABI screen, then reboot into TWRP. Unfortunately, ADB does not work in this version of TWRP.
Go to “Mount” and check “System” and then click to disable MTP.
Press the home key or back key to get back to the main menu.
Click “Advanced”.
Click “file manager”.
Scroll to "system" and select it.
Scroll to “priv-app” and select it.
Click on each of these items and choose to delete them:
fuhu_addapps2.apk
fuhu_appzone2.apk
fuhu_drmmanagerservice.apk
fuhu_nabiaccountmanager.apk
fuhu_nabiupdater.apk
–Personally, I just deleted all “fuhu” apps in this folder, but I think you only need those ones.
Then in the “app” folder, delete all the fuhu apps. Yes, I’m pretty sure you need to delete all of these ones.
Select the home or back button to get to the main TWRP screen.
Reboot to system.
Enjoy!
NOTE: It should start up, and may go through the Google setup (if you never started it before), and then will drop you off in “parent mode”.

At this point, I recommend installing a regular launcher, such as Trebuchet, Apex launcher, Nova launcher, etc. I used Apex launcher personally, because you can “hide” unwanted apps, and I use it to hide the unwanted Nabi apps. You should be able to see the Chrome browser in the parent mode window, use that to download the apk for the launcher you want (or use the Google account if you set up an account).

Once a launcher is installed, press the home key, and choose to always use the launcher you installed. You can now use this tablet as a regular Android tablet.

TWRP does have the option to install SuperSU and root the device. That’s completely up to you. Kingo Root also works incredibly well on this tablet. It will be stuck on Android 4.4.2, so it is a little outdated, but seems to work rather well. It was designed for gaming, so it is pretty powerful for as old as it is.

Linux – keep it simple.

This was perfect. I could not figure out how to get this device into FastBoot until I read your post today. The only tweak I had to make I added in line above was after I went to filemanager I had to select "system" before selecting "privapp".
The Following User Says Thank You to hexagon_founder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hexagon_founder Ad-Free
27th June 2020, 06:01 PM |#6  
AlaskaLinuxUser's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks
Thanks Meter: 4,075
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagon_founder

This was perfect. I could not figure out how to get this device into FastBoot until I read your post today. The only tweak I had to make I added in line above was after I went to filemanager I had to select "system" before selecting "privapp".

Glad it helped!
And thanks for the note, yes, priv app is under system, and I forgot to mention that!

Sent from my Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra with Android 10
28th July 2020, 10:49 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Hi, can you explain how you got into fastboot mode, or post a video? I am holding the plus sign button and the power button, but all that happens is the Nabi Bigtab flashes a few times, then stays dimly lit. It never loads any information, nothing about fastboot. Thanks.

EDIT: I figured it out. You have to press - the negative sign and the power button, NOT the plus sign, to get to the menu where you can choose recovery mode. THAT is the fastboot menu. It wasn't clear from the instructions. Make sure the tablet is hooked up when you do this and it should display on your PC as a "Fastboot" device.
The Following User Says Thank You to CCrusader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CCrusader Ad-Free
30th July 2020, 04:42 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
I would appreciate help, my attempts are failing on this step using the nabilab64 drivers, minimal ADB, and this command:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot devices
BT20A00000211140829 fastboot

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>
fastboot oem unlock
...
FAILED (command write failed (No error))
finished. total time: 0.015s

I am using a USB 2.0 hub and a 3.0 plug. Same results. Also tried a different PC.

Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to CCrusader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CCrusader Ad-Free
31st July 2020, 02:33 AM |#9  
AlaskaLinuxUser's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks
Thanks Meter: 4,075
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrusader

I would appreciate help, my attempts are failing on this step using the nabilab64 drivers, minimal ADB, and this command:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot devices
BT20A00000211140829 fastboot

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>
fastboot oem unlock
...
FAILED (command write failed (No error))
finished. total time: 0.015s

I am using a USB 2.0 hub and a 3.0 plug. Same results. Also tried a different PC.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrusader

Hi, can you explain how you got into fastboot mode, or post a video? I am holding the plus sign button and the power button, but all that happens is the Nabi Bigtab flashes a few times, then stays dimly lit. It never loads any information, nothing about fastboot. Thanks.

EDIT: I figured it out. You have to press - the negative sign and the power button, NOT the plus sign, to get to the menu where you can choose recovery mode. THAT is the fastboot menu. It wasn't clear from the instructions. Make sure the tablet is hooked up when you do this and it should display on your PC as a "Fastboot" device.

Odd, on mine it is the positive (+ up) volume button. Maybe it varied with different year models?

As for the adb command issue with Windows, I'm not sure, I use Linux... sorry I can't be more help.

Edit: perhaps try full adb, instead of minimal version?

Sent from my Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra with Android 10
31st July 2020, 02:49 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

Odd, on mine it is the positive (+ up) volume button. Maybe it varied with different year models?

As for the adb command issue with Windows, I'm not sure, I use Linux... sorry I can't be more help.

Edit: perhaps try full adb, instead of minimal version?

Sent from my Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra with Android 10

I'll try it. What version of ADB were you using and where did you get yours?

What version of the Nabi driver did you use? Does Linux support it natively?

I am using Windows 10. What version of Linux were you using?

Doing this for a customer so I'd like to figure out how to get this done. This has been a bumpy process so far.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to CCrusader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CCrusader Ad-Free
1st August 2020, 05:06 AM |#11  
AlaskaLinuxUser's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks
Thanks Meter: 4,075
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrusader

I'll try it. What version of ADB were you using and where did you get yours?

What version of the Nabi driver did you use? Does Linux support it natively?

I am using Windows 10. What version of Linux were you using?

Doing this for a customer so I'd like to figure out how to get this done. This has been a bumpy process so far.

Thanks.

I used Ubuntu 18.04, and installed adb and fastboot from the Ubuntu repository. I did not need any drivers, as Ubuntu Linux was able to talk to fastboot right out of the box. Literally, the above steps was all I did.

Not bashing Windows, but Android runs a Linux kernel, and most Linux distributions can work with it much easier than Windows.

You can download a Ubuntu live CD and install adb and fastoob on your live run to do the job, if you don't want to install Ubuntu on a computer.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra with Android 10
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes