FORUMS

[RECOVERY][BOOT][ROOT][VFD-1400] Vodafone Prime Tab 7

68 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By fused#1, Member on 31st January 2017, 10:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
DISCLAIMER: I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE BY USING THIS METHOD

Warning: this will only work with the older firmware (Android 6.0.1/1BEBFDB1 )

What this will achieve:

You will flash a modified boot image that runs selinux in permissive mode.
You will flash a custom recovery that allows you to root the device.
After you are done, your userdata will most likely not be encrypted anymore. You can re-enable encryption in the system settings.

DOWNLOAD

1. Install the usb drivers that come with the device, in /system/etc/USBDriver.iso.
They are also in the download package, in USBDriver/.
Run Setup.vbs.

Also install SUGAR QCT_SP v11.1.2 Setup.exe from the download package.

2. Connect your device to your computer and boot it into EDL mode (enable usb debugging).
adb.exe reboot edl

3. Run SUGAR QCT_SP (use credentials from download package), select VF1400 device and click on the upgrade button.
It will download the latest official firmware update into "C:\Program Files (x86)\SUGAR QCT_SP_Gotu2\bin\VF1400-2AVXXXX" (VF1400-2AVDDE1, for me).
After the download is done and the flashing started, make a copy of the VF1400-2AVXXXX folder to your Desktop.

4. While the flashing is going on, we can start to modify out copy of VF1400-2AVXXXX.
In it should be a folder, most likely called 1BEBFDB1 (version number of the update).
Inside that folder should be the .mbn files we care about: B1BEB0B0CD00.mbn (boot image) and R1BEB0B0CD00.mbn (recovery image).

Possibly they will be called differently, but I assume the boot image always starts with B and the recovery with R.
You can check "C:\Program Files (x86)\SUGAR QCT_SP_Gotu2\tool\logs\Sugar_XXXXXXXX.log" to make sure which file is which.

Replace B1BEB0B0CD00.mbn with boot.img from the download and R1BEB0B0CD00.mbn with recovery.img.

5. After the flash is done and the device rebooted, put it in edl mode again (after enabling usb debugging).
adb.exe reboot edl

6. Now, *before* we start SUGAR QCT_SP again, copy the VF1400-2AVXXXX into "C:\Program Files (x86)\SUGAR QCT_SP_Gotu2\bin"

7. Start SUGAR QCT_SP, select VF1400 device and hit upgrade.

Congratulations! After flashing and after the next reboot you are running with selinux in permissive mode and you can flash SuperSU from the recovery.

Now copy the latest SuperSU flashable zip into your internal storage and install it from recovery.

The recovery used is CM-13.0, device tree based on https://github.com/zwliew/android_device_xiaomi_land
Being compiled with prebuilt kernel from boot.img.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fused#1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fused#1 Ad-Free
1st February 2017, 01:41 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Works great! Thank you
8th February 2017, 03:15 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Cool! Thanks alot!
27th February 2017, 10:59 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Hi fused#1,

thanks for this, have you tried to install Xposed on this device after rooting it?

Best regards,
misterfx
10th March 2017, 08:32 AM |#5  

More
Hi,

i've now tested and installed xposed.
You need this files: xposed-v87-sdk23-arm.zip, XposedInstaller_3.1.1.apk and for safety the xposed-uninstaller-20160829-arm.zip.
Install the xposed-v87-sdk23-arm.zip with recovery, after reboot install the XposedInstaller_3.1.1.apk.

Best wishes,
misterfx
The Following User Says Thank You to misterfx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift misterfx Ad-Free
20th March 2017, 11:39 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
TWRP recovery
Hello.

All work as expected, thanks a lot for that.

I wonder if someone have manage to install TWRP recovery.

I mainly interesting of NANDroid Backup i can take with TWRP recovery.

How can i do that?

Thanks at advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to dima9751 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dima9751 Ad-Free
1st April 2017, 04:24 PM |#7  

More
Hello,
is there any way to get ntfs oder exfat support on the vodafone tab prime 7 ?
at the moment, it is original, without rom changes.
24th April 2017, 11:56 AM |#8  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Hi, I tried your guide today, but it failed at flashing the alternative bootloader and recovery. System was not able to boot anymore after flashing the second time with your altered files.

Display only showed "powered by android" and nothing else happened. Luckily I found out that you are able to switch back into EDL mode when this happens:

- Shut down device (disconnect any cable and press power until display switches off)
- Press Vol+ AND Vol- for about 10 seconds and then insert USB cable
-> "powered by android" label flashes up and then display goes black and voila you are in EDL mode again

---------------------
Here comes my question:
Is it possible that your bootloader and/or recovery are incompatible with latest FW version? Could you have a look at the current bootloader and recovery to get selinux in permissive mode again? I attached the original bootloader and recovery that was downloaded with SUGAR QCT_SP.
Attached Files
File Type: rar B6PFE0E0BG00.rar - [Click for QR Code] (6.86 MB, 438 views)
File Type: rar R6PFE0E0BG00.rar - [Click for QR Code] (7.58 MB, 320 views)
4th June 2017, 03:32 PM |#9  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Hi,

quite possible.

I wasn't even aware of the new firmware version. Obviously this only works with the old firmware. I will make that clear in the original post.

What firmware/android version is it? Maybe I'll look into that today or tomorrow.

Cheers

edit: I'm not even being offered the new firmware. Can you upload all of it somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandharva

Hi, I tried your guide today, but it failed at flashing the alternative bootloader and recovery. System was not able to boot anymore after flashing the second time with your altered files.

Display only showed "powered by android" and nothing else happened. Luckily I found out that you are able to switch back into EDL mode when this happens:

- Shut down device (disconnect any cable and press power until display switches off)
- Press Vol+ AND Vol- for about 10 seconds and then insert USB cable
-> "powered by android" label flashes up and then display goes black and voila you are in EDL mode again

---------------------
Here comes my question:
Is it possible that your bootloader and/or recovery are incompatible with latest FW version? Could you have a look at the current bootloader and recovery to get selinux in permissive mode again? I attached the original bootloader and recovery that was downloaded with SUGAR QCT_SP.

13th June 2017, 12:44 PM |#10  

More
Hi,

it seems there is again a new fw, files named like R1BEJ0J0CD00.mbn, with security patch level of April 2017. A user flashed this with the root-patch, but he has no wifi anymore.
Thanks for a update

Best wishes,
MrFX
18th June 2017, 09:43 AM |#11  

More
The procedure works, but I can not install from Supersu.zip recovery mode. I tried many versions but I always get this error:
E:filed to veryfy whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Istallation aborted.

Can someone help me
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
vodafone-tab-prime7

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)