FORUMS

[Release] Palm Debloat & Fixes Script [2020-03-11]

341 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By snoopy20, Senior Member on 17th February 2020, 03:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
It's safe to run this if you've already cleared parts out. It's ideal for right after you've rooted.

You will be left with a very clean Palm phone. If you use Fdroid, love open-source, and loath Google then this is for you!

Everything works well. There is one issue with the dialer where you scroll to the top with the scrollbar and it crashes. Instead of using the scrollbar just swipe on the names to scroll.

# Objectives:
1. remove all bloatware, including Google
2. Fix incorrect APN settings
3. Remove traces of Verizon
4. Battery life enhancement
5. Suppress adb debugging warning

# TODO
1. Make the script ask whether Google apps are to be removed, and differentiate.

# Pre-requisites:
1. device is rooted!

# Usage
Run ./exec.sh in a terminal and follow the instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip palm.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.55 MB, 184 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snoopy20 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift snoopy20 Ad-Free
17th February 2020, 03:16 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks for releasing this. Do you have any data on performance or battery life increases after making all of these changes? Also, since this script seems to remove Google services, would I be able to do a factory reset of the device to restore Google services?
17th February 2020, 05:57 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
All Google crap is removed. You can modify the script to exclude those removals if you want (please share your changes and I'll include for others).

All changes are to /system and /vendor, so considered permanent.

If you do a factory reset chances are it won't boot and you'll need to re-root again. Best avoid.

Battery life difference is significant, as is to be expected by removing so much junk, specifically services.
17th February 2020, 06:02 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
One issue, it somehow removed the clock app. I'll have to remove that from the list when I find out which one it is. For now you can install it again via "Clock" on apkpure.com
17th February 2020, 06:41 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 174

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy20

One issue, it somehow removed the clock app. I'll have to remove that from the list when I find out which one it is. For now you can install it again via "Clock" on apkpure.com

It's on line 30 of the palm.sh

DeskClock
18th February 2020, 04:37 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by g60madman

It's on line 30 of the palm.sh

DeskClock

Ah I thought that was a home widget. Now fixed.

Please let me know if there's any other bloatware crap which I've missed.
18th February 2020, 07:12 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
I've found /vendor/bin/mmid is writing to logcat and responsible for a lot of wakeups. Prevented it from respawning with chmod 000. No negative effect so far so will add it to the next script revision.

Also by killing that I now get new battery information in logcat and a lot less logcat messages. I believe that process was responsible for killing something related to power details as I kept getting process startup details. I now get a lot less messages and also proper battery stats in logcat -

02-18 14:01:38.354 1223 2332 D BatteryService: Processing new values: chargerAcOnline=false, chargerUsbOnline=true, chargerWirelessOnline=false, maxChargingCurrent500000, maxChargingVoltage5000000, batteryStatus=2, batteryHealth=2, batteryPresent=true, batteryLevel=97, batteryTechnology=Li-ion, batteryVoltage=4397, batteryChargeCounter=715903, batteryFullCharge=796000, batteryTemperature=240, mBatteryLevelCritical=false, mPlugType=2
The Following User Says Thank You to snoopy20 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift snoopy20 Ad-Free
6th March 2020, 03:38 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Really appreciate your work on this. I edited the palm.sh file to the following to try to keep all the extra Google stuff intact:

#!/usr/bin/env sh
mount -o rw,remount /system
mount -o rw,remount /vendor
## OBJECTIVE: 1 ##
echo "Removing user installs..."
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.cloudsetupwizard'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.mips.services'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.hss.myverizon'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.jrd.verizonuriintentservice'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.llkagent'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.apnlib'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.tcl.vzwintents'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.tct.vzwwifioffload'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.ecid'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.easvalidation'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.customermobile.preload.vzw'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vcast.mediamanager'
echo "Removing system bloatware..."
cd /system/app
## WARN: no remove (will brick): GoogleExtShared SecureExtAuthService
rm -rf VerizonUrintentService verizon-wifi-offload vzwintents
cd /system/priv-app
rm -rf VerizonNameID com.customermobile.preload.vzw VZWAPNLib verizon-llk-agent
cd /vendor/app
rm -rf VzwDMClient
cd /vendor/priv-app
rm -rf MVM_vzw_app-release-phone-13.1.1-278.apk VZMessages-mobile-6.7.12-94-market-release-signed.apk Verizon_LocationAgent_vzw_v0.0.3.120_Production_No Debug_release_signed.apk

In case anyone else wanted to try out a different version.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grimez For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift grimez Ad-Free
10th March 2020, 09:41 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:

I've found /vendor/bin/mmid is writing to logcat and responsible for a lot of wakeups. Prevented it from respawning with chmod 000. No negative effect so far so will add it to the next script revision.

Don't use "chmod 000" on mmid. If you do, you can see in the kernel log (via "dmesg") that the phone is constantly trying to restart the mmid service:
Code:
init: starting service 'mmid'..
init: cannot execve('/vendor/bin/mmid'): Permission denied
But if you remove or rename mmid (mv /vendor/bin/mmid /vendor/bin/mmid.bak), init gives up and doesn't try to restart the mmid service:
Code:
[10081.043211] init: cannot find '/vendor/bin/mmid', disabling 'mmid': No such file or directory

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote:

#TODO (please assist if you can!)
1. Verizon boot animation.

To get rid of the Verizon boot animation, you can just rename/remove the bootanimation.zip file.

Code:
mv /vendor/JRD_custres/media/bootanimation.zip /vendor/JRD_custres/media/bootanimation.zip.bak
This will give you a default pulsing "android" boot animation instead of the Verizon boot animation.

Alternatively, you can use the below "PALM" boot animation that I put together. I don't know what boot animation the non-Verizon phone uses, but it's probably similar to this.
drive [dot] google.com/file/d/114Q9BUSrkjjIt9fPT4B-s3VH0ExGClDi/view

Code:
adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local/tmp/
adb shell
su
mv /data/local/tmp/bootanimation.zip /vendor/JRD_custres/media/bootanimation.zip
11th March 2020, 03:35 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hi

does anyone know how to remove/change the boot image of "Your device has loaded a different operating system"?

thanks in advance
11th March 2020, 02:16 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hi
will deleting all the bloatware from verizon make it unable to work on the CDMA network?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
palm-palm

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)