[Release] Palm Debloat & Fixes Script [2020-03-11]

Search This thread

al07th

Jan 12, 2018
Xiaomi Mi A1
The soft brick is a limitation of removing all the Palm crap, so it depends how clean you want to go. There's a trigger some place, probably in build.props, which tries to load the verizon welcome on init and this is what causes the launcher to fail. I haven't worked it out yet.
There should be a way by restoring one or two Verizon apps. Maybe just disabling\freezing those apps on script execution so they will be restored after factory erase. Any idea how to trace those apps?
I suspect SetupWizard or\and WiFiActivation (as it asks to activate Palm through wifi)
The script can't uninstall what it doesn't know about. Play auto updates lots of apps (and may install "recommended" apps) automatically. It doesn't hang about as soon as there is wifi. These will them crap-out once Play Services is removed.
agreed %)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10633545

I'm not seeing where to reset the APNs to the defaults. I popped in a SIM card for a Verizon MVNO but I'm not getting any network access, and in the mobile APN page there's just 4 Verizon APNs listed.

snoopy20

Jul 21, 2008
Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> Advanced -> Access Point Names -> Three Dots -> Reset to Default

tuuure

Nov 12, 2019
I make a Magisk module based on this script. All changes are systemless. Now you can do factory reset if your device get into bootloop with this module.
(I still can't post outside links. Just copy the link manually. Sorry for the inconvenient)
drive.google.com/open?id=1VU1sFxbj5n2y_0T-KXZCR7z__uGj8rGQ
Compared to the origin script, I did a few changes.
1. Keep adb debugging warning (I just get used to it)
2. Update SimpleKeyboard to Latest V3.19
3. tethering.apk not include
4. Keep EasterEgg (it won't do any harm)
Also I keep verizon-llk-agent and GoogleExtServices. My device get into bootloop when I replace them with a dummy file. I don't know which one of them causes the bootloop. Need more work to find out.

Notice:
If you get " Please install Magisk v19.0+! ", use the Magisk "Direct install" in Magisk Manager and reboot your device.
After factory reset, your device is still rooted but cannot install magisk module. You need once again use the Magisk "Direct install".

snoopy20

Jul 21, 2008
It's GoogleExtServices, but I found it only happens when USB lead is plugged in. Once booted can attached the lead and use as normal.

cdavis613

Aug 7, 2020
Palm Phone - Battery Drain Fix

Hi, I read your post on the XDA Developer forum on how you were able to minimize battery drain on the Palm Phone. Would you be able to supply me with more details on how to update the system settings on the Palm to accomplish this. I have not rooted a phone before or updated settings using an adb shell. I would like to update the phone settings that the battery drain will be minimized.

Thanks,

Harvey

blarae

Aug 24, 2020
Hi, I read your post on the XDA Developer forum on how you were able to minimize battery drain on the Palm Phone. Would you be able to supply me with more details on how to update the system settings on the Palm to accomplish this. I have not rooted a phone before or updated settings using an adb shell. I would like to update the phone settings that the battery drain will be minimized.

Thanks,

Harvey

EDIT: Took me a couple hours but I finally figured out the stuff after root after a night of a hardcore game of keyword search. What I learned:
  • Have to give ADB a "Path" in order to use "adb XYZ" stuff in Powershell/Command Prompt/Ubuntu
  • Have to install ADB into Ubuntu separately from how it's installed on windows

PART 1: ROOTING THE PALM
You can follow the guide found here. Down below is the same thing pretty much, but I have cleared up some things I was confused with when I was going through the guide:
  1. On the computer, download the following: CLICK HERE
    • Extract Sugar_QCT_SP.zip to a folder anywhere
    • Inside the extracted folder, install the SUGAR QCT.exe
    • Inside the USBDriver folder, install the Setup.vbs
    • Inside the extracted folder, is the USERNAME and PASSWORD you'll need PLEASE DO NOT POST IT HERE
  2. On the Palm, boot it into recovery
    • Hold the power button to restart the Palm several times, the 3rd or 4th time the splash screen appears you will see "Entering Recovery mode…" at the top and you may release the button
    • Select the option to go into Emergency Download/EDL Mode
    • It will take you to a screen telling you to "long press" to enter, "short press" to exit; simply hold down the button until the screen changes
    • Plug the Palm into the computer
  3. On the computer, launch the recently installed Sugar QCT application
    • Skip the update
    • On the top left drop-down list, select pepito/PVG100 (US) or pepito_vdf (Vodafone)
    • On the top right click Upgrade, this will download the Palm's firmware package and flash it to the device (may take 10~ minutes)
    • DO NOT CLOSE SUGAR when it finishes
    • The Palm should have rebooted at this point (if not, hold/use a strong enough rubber band to hold the power button for a few minutes so it will restart out of EDL Mode)
      • SIDE NOTE: At this point this is a clean flash, so if you just wanted to get the Palm back to stock, you can stop here
  4. On the computer, Go to where you installed Sugar QCT is installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\SUGAR QCT_SP_Gotu2\)
    • Enter the bin folder and copy the PVG100-XXXX folder (the Xs are the Palm's serial number) anywhere else
    • In the copied PVG100-XXXX folder, look for BXXXXXXXXXXX.mbn (it's a file that starts with a B) which is the boot.img
    • Copy the BXXXXXXXXXXX.mbn file to the root of the Palm
    • Download Magisk Manager (google it, I cannot hyperlink to it here)
    • Copy the .apk to the root of the Palm
  5. On the Palm, install Magisk Manager
    • Open the Palm's Settings > Storage > Files
    • Install the MagiskManager.apk that you should have moved in there earlier
    • Open Magisk Manager and Select and Patch a File
    • Find and select the BXXXXXXXXXXX.mbn file (you may need to Show internal storage to find it)
    • Once it finishes, it should have created a patched .img file in the Palm's Download folder
  6. On the computer, rename the created .img to BXXXXXXXXXXX.mbn
    • Inside the copied PVG100-XXXX folder, use the renamed BXXXXXXXXXXX.mbn to replace the original BXXXXXXXXXXX.mbn file (you should be able to tell them apart via the files' Date modified)
    • On the Palm, boot it back into Emergency Download/EDL Mode as instructed in #2
    • Close and relaunch Sugar QCT
    • Copy the copied PVG100-XXXX folder back into the bin folder where the Sugar QCT application is installed (be sure it follows the same folder structure, overwrite if necessary)
    • In Sugar QCT, select pepito/PVG100 (US) or pepito_vdf (Vodafone) again
    • Press Upgrade again, this will flash the modified firmware to the device
  7. When it restarts and powers up, just go through the setup wizard, install Magisk Manager again, and you should be rooted

PART 2: DEBLOATING THE PALM ON WINDOWS

PREREQUISITES:
  • Rooted the Palm (should be done if you followed the guide above)
  • Enable USB Debugging on the Palm
  • ADB (r27.0.X worked for me), Fastboot, and Drivers installed properly
    • Create an environment variable for ADB:
      Code:
      This PC > Properties > Advanced system settings > Advanced > Environment Variables… > System Variables > Path > Edit… > New > [DIRECTORY WHERE ADB IS INSTALLED]
  • Ubuntu (find one that allows you to use Ubuntu Terminal and run Ubuntu command line utilities including bash, ssh, git, apt and etcetera)
    • Install ADB to Ubuntu:
      Code:
      Launch Ubuntu and execute the following:

sudo apt update
      sudo apt install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

Alright to begin with the Debloating:
  1. On the computer, download the file attached in this thread: CLICK HERE
    • Extract palm.zip to a folder anywhere (inside the extracted folder, make note of the exec.sh file and — inside the push folder — the palm.sh file)
    • Launch either Powershell OR Command Prompt and start the ADB server (I couldn't get it to see my device if did this step in Ubuntu)
      Code:
      adb start-server
    • Launch Ubuntu via holding the SHIFT key and right clicking the extracted Palm folder, confirm your device is recognized by executing the following:
      Code:
      adb devices
    • Begin the Debloating process by executing the following:
      Code:
      bash exec.sh
    • Read carefully and follow the instructions:
      • You can ignore the following errors:
        Code:
        adb: failed to install apks/[APP.apk]: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS: Attempt to re-install [APP] without first uninstalling.]
            (why? the above just tells me that the .apk is already installed)
        adb: failed to stat apks/myapps/*.apk: No such file or directory
            (why? the above just tells me that there's nothing there, and if I check inside the actual directory, there actually is nothing there)
        Otherwise stop and troubleshoot (I don't know any other errors that might pop up so if you do come across different ones, you're on your own)
    • If you follow the rest of the instructions that display in Ubuntu, you should be good to go
      • If you missed the Superuser Grant alert it won't pop up again, you have to then allow it in Magisk Manager in the Palm
    • Done

Last edited:

jsteet

Aug 25, 2020
This tool was just what I was looking for. Unfortunately, after using the debloated version for a week or so, there are some gapps related services that I need.

I have tried to do an adb sideload using opengapps, but none of these apps are showing up after reboot. Is there any way to recover the most basic gapps functionality (pico/nano)?

jsteet

Aug 25, 2020
This tool was just what I was looking for. Unfortunately, after using the debloated version for a week or so, there are some gapps related services that I need.

I have tried to do an adb sideload using opengapps, but none of these apps are showing up after reboot. Is there any way to recover the most basic gapps functionality (pico/nano)?

I was able to Factory Refresh -> Run the Root process again -> Debloat with custom commands. All set, thanks for this tool!

delawaresace

Aug 20, 2007
I was able to Factory Refresh -> Run the Root process again -> Debloat with custom commands. All set, thanks for this tool!

When you say debloat with custom commands, are you referring to the ones the OP listed or are you referring to your own custom commands? If they are your own, do you mind sharing them? I also would like to debloat my phone but keep a minimal Google presence

blarae

Aug 24, 2020
personally, to keep all the google functionality (account sign in, play store functionality), i just used parts of snoopy20's (kept anything in the script with verizon/vzw in the name, OBJECTIVE 2: apn fix, OBJECTIVE 3: removes verizon boot logo, & OBJECTIVE 5: adb debugging nag)

my palm.sh file looks like:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh

mount -o rw,remount /system
mount -o rw,remount /vendor

## OBJECTIVE: 1 ##
echo "Removing user installs..."
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.cloudsetupwizard'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.mips.services'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.hss.myverizon'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.jrd.verizonuriintentservice'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.verizon.llkagent'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.apnlib'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.tcl.vzwintents'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.tct.vzwwifioffload'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.ecid'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vzw.easvalidation'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.customermobile.preload.vzw'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.vcast.mediamanager'
pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.telecomsys.directedsms.android.SCG'

echo "Removing system bloatware..."
cd /system/app
## WARN: no remove (will brick): GoogleExtShared SecureExtAuthService
rm -rf VerizonUrintentService verizon-wifi-offload vzwintents

cd /system/priv-app
rm -rf VerizonNameID com.customermobile.preload.vzw VZWAPNLib verizon-llk-agent

cd /vendor/app
rm -rf VzwDMClient unremoveable/Fleksy-9.7.6-palm-2860-armeabi-v7a-palmPlayStoreRelease.apk

cd /vendor/priv-app
rm -rf MVM_vzw_app-release-phone-13.1.1-278.apk VZMessages-mobile-6.7.12-94-market-release-signed.apk Verizon_LocationAgent_vzw_v0.0.3.120_Production_No Debug_release_signed.apk

mv /data/app/com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-* /system/app  ## required in case user forces pin on boot
mv /vendor/bin/mmid /vendor/bin/mmid.bak  ## couldn't find anything on the net about this, and it has lots of wakeups & logcat writing.

## OBJECTIVE: 2 ##
echo "Fixing APN list..."
cp -F /sdcard/apns-conf.xml /vendor/etc
chmod 755 /vendor/etc/apns-conf.xml

## OBJECTIVE: 3 ##
echo "Removing Verizon traces..."
cd /vendor
cp build.prop build.prop.old
grep -v 'ro.product.vzw=true' build.prop.old > build.prop
rm JRD_custres/media/bootanimation.zip

## OBJECTIVE: 5 ##
echo "Removing adb debugging nag"
cd /system
grep -qxF 'persist.adb.notify=0' build.prop || echo 'persist.adb.notify=0' >> build.prop

echo "Done! - rebooting."

## end
reboot

then used the universal android debloater to really cover my bases even if it may be a bit redundant.

i got my google account in there and good to go, synced up and everything. as far as i can see anyway (haven't run into any problems yet).

vrzs3mini

Dec 29, 2014
i've installed wake lock detector app

personally, to keep all the google functionality (account sign in, play store functionality), i just used parts of snoopy20's (kept anything in the script with verizon/vzw in the name, OBJECTIVE 2: apn fix, OBJECTIVE 3: removes verizon boot logo, & OBJECTIVE 5: adb debugging nag)

my palm.sh file looks like:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh

pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.telecomsys.directedsms.android.SCG'

cd /system/app

cd /system/priv-app

cd /vendor/app
rm -rf VzwDMClient unremoveable/Fleksy-9.7.6-palm-2860-armeabi-v7a-palmPlayStoreRelease.apk

cd /vendor/priv-app
rm -rf MVM_vzw_app-release-phone-13.1.1-278.apk VZMessages-mobile-6.7.12-94-market-release-signed.apk Verizon_LocationAgent_vzw_v0.0.3.120_Production_No Debug_release_signed.apk

mv /data/app/com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-* /system/app  ## required in case user forces pin on boot
mv /vendor/bin/mmid /vendor/bin/mmid.bak  ## couldn't find anything on the net about this, and it has lots of wakeups & logcat writing.

## OBJECTIVE: 2 ##
echo "Fixing APN list..."
cp -F /sdcard/apns-conf.xml /vendor/etc
chmod 755 /vendor/etc/apns-conf.xml

## OBJECTIVE: 3 ##
echo "Removing Verizon traces..."
cd /vendor
cp build.prop build.prop.old
grep -v 'ro.product.vzw=true' build.prop.old > build.prop
rm JRD_custres/media/bootanimation.zip

## OBJECTIVE: 5 ##
echo "Removing adb debugging nag"
cd /system
grep -qxF 'persist.adb.notify=0' build.prop || echo 'persist.adb.notify=0' >> build.prop

echo "Done! - rebooting."

## end
reboot

then used the universal android debloater to really cover my bases even if it may be a bit redundant.

i got my google account in there and good to go, synced up and everything. as far as i can see anyway (haven't run into any problems yet).

hi, i've installed wake lock detector app and its showing some good info..... was wondering if someone with knowledge of what to do with the results wake lock detector app is displaying mainly instructions if needed on how to fix whats killing the battery would install wake lock detector on their palm pvg100

Speedier

Mar 20, 2012
Fantastic script, thank you so much!

One issue however that affects Koodo Mobile users. The APN data for "Koodo SP" is incorrect. It ended up making me stop receiving texts. I found the correct APN settings and updated both "Koodo SP" entries in the "apns-conf.xml," ran the script again, and "reset to default APN settings." My texts now work.

No biggie, but I thought I should post just in case any other Koodo Mobile users want to debloat their Palm. :)

CuriousAboutThings

Mar 4, 2021
Hi All - picked up a palm phone, love the posts....super easy got the ROOT complete and am trying to deploy the de-bloat scripts. Im a bit stuck since:

1. I open Powershell
2. Start adb
3. Run the ./exec.sh
4. Then prompted with notepad commands

Q1: I don't have a "Simple Keyboard" to enable on my build
Q2: When I run the cd/ SDCard script powershelgl just returns ">>"

Stuck and still bloated

evaz88x

Jan 21, 2019
Hi All - picked up a palm phone, love the posts....super easy got the ROOT complete and am trying to deploy the de-bloat scripts. Im a bit stuck since:

1. I open Powershell
2. Start adb
3. Run the ./exec.sh
4. Then prompted with notepad commands

Q1: I don't have a "Simple Keyboard" to enable on my build
Q2: When I run the cd/ SDCard script powershelgl just returns ">>"

Stuck and still bloated

Hey, I also just recently got a Palm phone and absolutely love the phone and would like to get it rooted too.

How did you go about getting it rooted? I mean, the Sugar QCT program is not working out for me. I've used Windows 10 & WIndows 7 from Virtualbox. What Windows version did you use? Which Sugar QCT version did you use?

CuriousAboutThings

Mar 4, 2021
Made a ton of progress, got the APNs over, and teh required files. But am running from windows power shell and cannot get cd /sdcard && su - -c \””sh palm.sh\”” to run

The palm.sh file was pushed to the device via the earlier adb calls

What am I missing here? How to I run palm.sh and get super user not on Linux......

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's safe to run this if you've already cleared parts out. It's ideal for right after you've rooted.

You will be left with a very clean Palm phone. If you use Fdroid, love open-source, and loath Google then this is for you!

Everything works well. There is one issue with the dialer where you scroll to the top with the scrollbar and it crashes. Instead of using the scrollbar just swipe on the names to scroll.

# Objectives:
    1. remove all bloatware, including Google
    2. Fix incorrect APN settings
    3. Remove traces of Verizon
    4. Battery life enhancement
    5. Suppress adb debugging warning

# TODO
    1. Make the script ask whether Google apps are to be removed, and differentiate.

# Pre-requisites:
    1. device is rooted!

# Usage
    Run ./exec.sh in a terminal and follow the instructions.
    Really appreciate your work on this. I edited the palm.sh file to the following to try to keep all the extra Google stuff intact:

#!/usr/bin/env sh
    cd /system/app
    cd /system/priv-app
    cd /vendor/app
    rm -rf VzwDMClient
    cd /vendor/priv-app
    rm -rf MVM_vzw_app-release-phone-13.1.1-278.apk VZMessages-mobile-6.7.12-94-market-release-signed.apk Verizon_LocationAgent_vzw_v0.0.3.120_Production_NoDebug_release_signed.apk

In case anyone else wanted to try out a different version.
    I've found /vendor/bin/mmid is writing to logcat and responsible for a lot of wakeups. Prevented it from respawning with chmod 000. No negative effect so far so will add it to the next script revision.

Also by killing that I now get new battery information in logcat and a lot less logcat messages. I believe that process was responsible for killing something related to power details as I kept getting process startup details. I now get a lot less messages and also proper battery stats in logcat -

02-18 14:01:38.354 1223 2332 D BatteryService: Processing new values: chargerAcOnline=false, chargerUsbOnline=true, chargerWirelessOnline=false, maxChargingCurrent500000, maxChargingVoltage5000000, batteryStatus=2, batteryHealth=2, batteryPresent=true, batteryLevel=97, batteryTechnology=Li-ion, batteryVoltage=4397, batteryChargeCounter=715903, batteryFullCharge=796000, batteryTemperature=240, mBatteryLevelCritical=false, mPlugType=2
    I've found /vendor/bin/mmid is writing to logcat and responsible for a lot of wakeups. Prevented it from respawning with chmod 000. No negative effect so far so will add it to the next script revision.

Don't use "chmod 000" on mmid. If you do, you can see in the kernel log (via "dmesg") that the phone is constantly trying to restart the mmid service:
    Code:
    init: starting service 'mmid'..
    init: cannot execve('/vendor/bin/mmid'): Permission denied

But if you remove or rename mmid (mv /vendor/bin/mmid /vendor/bin/mmid.bak), init gives up and doesn't try to restart the mmid service:
    Code:
    [10081.043211] init: cannot find '/vendor/bin/mmid', disabling 'mmid': No such file or directory

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

#TODO (please assist if you can!)
    1. Verizon boot animation.

To get rid of the Verizon boot animation, you can just rename/remove the bootanimation.zip file.

Code:
    mv /vendor/JRD_custres/media/bootanimation.zip /vendor/JRD_custres/media/bootanimation.zip.bak

This will give you a default pulsing "android" boot animation instead of the Verizon boot animation.

Alternatively, you can use the below "PALM" boot animation that I put together. I don't know what boot animation the non-Verizon phone uses, but it's probably similar to this.
    drive [dot] google.com/file/d/114Q9BUSrkjjIt9fPT4B-s3VH0ExGClDi/view

Code:
    adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell
    su
    mv /data/local/tmp/bootanimation.zip /vendor/JRD_custres/media/bootanimation.zip
    Breakthrough! I think I've solved the issues I was having regarding script permissions. Within the main screen of Magisk Manager there is dropdown menu labeled "Advanced Settings." On every installation of the Magisk Manager apk that I made, there were two options in that menu that were always enabled by default:

• Preserve force encryption
    • Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity

By disabling these two settings, then once again using the Magisk "Direct install" option (not sure if reinstalling is necessary), I was able to use the debloat script without any major edits. The only thing I still needed to change was adding a second backslash to the "sdcard" folder commands ("/sdcard/" instead of "/sdcard").

Also, Google Play Services was uninstalled through running the script, but still displayed in my apps list, and would give a "stopped running" error when launching Chrome. I went to the Google Play Services listing in Settings > Apps, uninstalled any updates that had been made to it, then it eventually recognized that it wasn't installed on the phone and removed itself from the apps list. After that, opening Chrome no longer results in the error.

Thanks again for making the script. Even with my troubles getting it to work, it made what would be a very lengthy process fairly quick. I'm looking forward to using this phone more often!