[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][PIE][ALPHA] LineageOS 16.0 for BQ Aquaris X5 plus (gohan)

Search This thread

urobbot

Nov 14, 2012
Milan
EDIT:
Hello friends,
I want to port BQ Aquaris X5 Plus that was formerly supported by LineageOS
to the newest LineageOS 16, based on Pie, eventually passing by LOS 15.1

I'd like this thread to be a coordination point for this task.

Currently the most up to date tree is by aquaris-dev team:
https://github.com/aquaris-dev/android_device_bq_gohan/tree/lineage-15.1

Contributions, especially building, testing an reporting/fixing bugs are very welcome!

Let's do this!

Last edited:

urobbot

Nov 14, 2012
Milan
I'm currently working on it thanks to a donated device.

I decided to start porting from cm-14.1 to lineage-15.1 because jumping straight to lineage-16 seemed hard.
Also i found out that LeEco Le 2 has the same SoC as Aquaris X5 and has been ported from cm-14.1 to lineage-15.1
So the changes done there are a good reference:
https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_leeco_s2/compare/cm-14.1...lineage-15.1

Currently Lineage 15.1 is compiling but it's stuck at BQ logo just like Pie rom.

I've pushed all the changes to
https://github.com/Nimayer/android_device_bq_gohan/tree/lineage-15.1
https://github.com/Nimayer/android_kernel_bq_msm8976/tree/lineage-15.1

CyanoBQ

Jul 15, 2019
Cologne area
Hi urobbot!

I had a chat with two members of android-hilfe.de (Matador and moosburger) which might be of interest to you. There is a community "aquaris-dev" which supports the BQ devices on lineage. They have their own repository on github. It is aquaris-dev/android_device_bq_gohan/tree/lineage-15.1. According to Matador there is a bootable image for Oreo which - according to his understanding - doesn't do much more yet (but at least boots).

He also mentioned that he intended to go through the sources of the Leeco le2 s2, which already has Pie.

I hope any of this information might prove helpful!

P.S: Sorry for not linking the repo directly - my post count is too low to post outside links

Reactions: Elmarigo

urobbot

Nov 14, 2012
Milan
Hi urobbot!

I had a chat with two members of android-hilfe.de (Matador and moosburger) which might be of interest to you. There is a community "aquaris-dev" which supports the BQ devices on lineage. They have their own repository on github. It is aquaris-dev/android_device_bq_gohan/tree/lineage-15.1. According to Matador there is a bootable image for Oreo which - according to his understanding - doesn't do much more yet (but at least boots).
The aquaris-dev team is the one maintaining official LineageOS build for some BQ phones.
I didn't knew they kept also unofficial ports.

I think this is the source we are talking about:
https://github.com/aquaris-dev/android_device_bq_gohan/tree/lineage-15.1

Too bad I didn't knew about it, so I did some duplicate work.
In the next days I will try the lineage-15.1 from aquaris-dev and see if I can make some improvements.
CyanoBQ said:
He also mentioned that he intended to go through the sources of the Leeco le2 s2, which already has Pie.
I know, but apparently the lineage-16.0 branch of leeco s2 is no different from the lineage-15.1 branch,
https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_leeco_s2/tree/lineage-16.0
and there's no prebuild LOS 16 available from lineageos.org, so I don't know if it actually has Pie.
CyanoBQ said:
I hope any of this information might prove helpful!
Of course it is, thank you!

P.S. Trying to debug my LineageOS 15, I managed to port postmarketOS to bq-gohan (the display is still broken though)
And I learned the hard way that the msm8976 kernel for gohan does not boot if compiled with anything more recent than GCC4.

Matador-67

Dec 22, 2013
Yes it is optimised for gcc 4.8.
If i can help you, please ASK.

If it helps im native speaking German.

Gesendet von meinem Aquaris X5 Plus mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: AndDiSa

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
No sure whether it's currently helpful for you: a few weeks ago I updated the kernel to 3.10.108

It compiled fine, i.e. I was able to create a LineageOS 14.1 version for Gohan, unfortunately I was not yet able to test it, as the phone is currently my primary phone and I need to prepare it for development first (doing a backup of all stuff, moving important applications to a backup device, etc.) and as is is encrypted and the sdcard is partly used as internal memory preparation takes a bit of time.

Reactions: Elmarigo

urobbot

Nov 14, 2012
Milan
From sunday I'll go on vacation, and I'll have mobile internet only and a small SSD space (less than 100GB of LineageOS source).
So I'll continue working on gohan when I'll come back home, around 21 of August.

Yes it is optimised for gcc 4.8.
If i can help you, please ASK.
Thank you matador,
I'll get in touch for sure when I come back from holiday.

No sure whether it's currently helpful for you: a few weeks ago I updated the kernel to 3.10.108

It compiled fine, i.e. I was able to create a LineageOS 14.1 version for Gohan, unfortunately I was not yet able to test it
AndDiSa, that's really cool!
If you want to contribute to LineageOS 15.1 for gohan, after you have finished backing up,
I suggest to work on the tree from aquaris-dev, and make a pull request to them if necessary.
https://github.com/aquaris-dev/android_device_bq_gohan

Thank you all for the help!

Matador-67

Dec 22, 2013
@AndDiSa,

I have made today a new LOS 14.1 Build with your Kernel it was stuck at bootloop.
I flashed back my last Build with LOS-Stock Kernel and all was fine again.

Gesendet von meinem CMR-W09 mit Tapatalk

Matador-67

Dec 22, 2013
@AndDiSa

Sorry, can you tell me how i can get it?

I am back at my last Build, but i can flash the not working build again.

Last edited:

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
@matador-2 easiest way is to force boot into recovery by pressing the vol- button and then from a shell to do a

cat /proc/last_kmsg

Probably it works also from a 'normally' booted system but important is that you didn't boot another kernel in between. In that way it would overwrite it.

Hopefully I can prepare my device within the next days so I can do some tests by myself. Thanks for testing the kernel!

ImperatorBQ

Aug 5, 2019
Bonn
Hi urobbot,

I'd like to test your masterpiece on my X5+. I have managed to install LOS 14.1 yesterday, so I should be able to install your port, too.
If you have an image that does boot and runs at least phone and wifi functions, I'd like to test.

Reactions: urobbot

urobbot

Nov 14, 2012
Milan
Hi urobbot,

I'd like to test your masterpiece on my X5+. I have managed to install LOS 14.1 yesterday, so I should be able to install your port, too.
If you have an image that does boot and runs at least phone and wifi functions, I'd like to test.

Hi ImperatorBQ,
Sorry, at the moment there is no masterpiece.
In fact we don't have an image booting+wifi.

I'll resume working on it at the end of august,
I can send you a PM once we have an image to test ;)

Thank you!

urobbot

Nov 14, 2012
Milan
@AndDiSa,

Sorry i couldn't get last_kmsg.

Did you try to get it with TWRP?

Last time I tried to recover a last_kmsg using official TWRP for gohan I wasn't able to do it too.
I investigated a bit about it and I think that the kernel that comes with official TWRP
has support for last_kmsg disabled.
Unfortunately official TWRP is build with a prebuilt kernel, which makes difficult enabling a kernel option.
https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_bq_gohan

Also I learned that the stock recovery allows to read the last_kmsg to the screen, but has adb disabled,
so to my knowledge there is no way of exporting last_kmsg from that recovery.

I think our best option is to modify the TWRP tree to compile a kernel instead of using a prebuilt one
and then enable last_kmsg or pstore which I think is more appropriate to kernels > 3.4

Last edited:

tiagonunesandre

Jun 24, 2014
Thank you for all the work! I am currently with the official Lineage 14.1 release for gohan - but got a bug with screen (rotation stopped working - tried some fixes but no luck so far) - also some 2 or 3 minor bugs. Looking forward to test Lineage 15 or 16 soon to check behaviour :)
I also saw before in your earlier post that you've had GPS not working on 16, which made me think twice before testing this ROM... Do you have now a list of major bugs on your latest release?

Cheers!

Top Liked Posts