[ROM][OFFICIAL][7.1.2] OmniROM 7.1.2 for Elephone Trunk

Search This thread

siljaer

Jun 12, 2016
Distopia
This is an adaptation of @ottmi's work to OmniROM (64bit). Feature-wise it is not as rich as LineageOS, but it is an open source friendly project.

Credits go to @ottmi (obviously!), @arvinquilao (for the omnirom seed device tree, my starting point), @lolmaxlik_ru (for the 32bit device tree I used when trying 32bit) and @dev_harsh1998 (Bluetooth loop fix).

The kernel is based on CAF kernel, with changes for the Trunk from @ottmi's kernel. Kernel source is here:
https://github.com/omnirom/android_kernel_elephone_msm8916

I think it's usable: essential features seem to work. A minor issue is long press for home button, which does not work as expected.

I managed to upload on xda the build now. Bluetooth has been fixed.

The OmniROM team has accepted trunk as an official device. So, you can download the ROM directly from OmniROM website:

http://dl.omnirom.org/trunk/

If you do so, you will be able to receive ROM updates (weekly).

You are welcome to report any problem!

XDA:DevDB Information
OmniROM 7.1.2 for Elephone Trunk, ROM for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
siljaer, ottmi, arvinquilao, lolmaxlik_ru, dev_harsh1998
Source Code: https://github.com/omnirom/android_device_elephone_trunk

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
Based On: OmniROM

Version Information

Created 2017-05-25
Last Updated 2017-12-14

Last edited:

siljaer

Jun 12, 2016
Distopia
Reserved

Changelog

20171021: update kernel to LA.BR.1.2.9-03710-8x16.0. Security fixes (Blueborne and KRACK).

20170820: New GPS blobs from crackling. In my case, it resulted in improved GPS precision. People with overheating problem, please let me know if it improves the issue.

20170730: New Thermal blobs from crackling. New thermal engine configuration. Hopefully, that should prevent overheating.

20170709: New GPU blobs from crackling. Because of a case of reported overheating, several drivers were added in kernel config. Some related SELinux denials were addressed. Something strange was also found in Trunk's DTs: GPIO pins for the tps65132 were wrong, leading to failed driver probe (however, that happens in stock rom too). Correct values for them was added. However, real effectiveness for those changes in preventing overheating is to be proved.

20170618: Fixed reboot to recovery (and automatic updates). Using again Trunk's Camera HAL.

20170603: now compatible with 64bit opengapps, fixed start recording sound at beginning of video recordings, SELinux fixes (by @ottmi), long press of home key now shows recent apps.

20170529: update kernel to LA.BR.1.2.9-02910-8x16.0

20170526: first build

Last edited:

josoft86

Mar 9, 2015
Reggio di Calabria
@siljaer
Happy for your new job I'll let you know my impression after installing and testing it. I am currently using the "aicp_peach_n-12.1-NIGHTLY-20170526.zip" rom with great efficiency with up-to-date OTA updates at the same time as the Open Gapps update. It's just 32bit and has been made for "ARK Benefit A3" and not for our Elephone Trunk. It would be interesting, for the many extra functions of this rom, its fluency, the OTA updates, to recover all that has good and transfer it to your rom, even that I saw that something you used as a contribution from "lolmaxlik_ru". In any case thank you for your work and I apologize if I have been able to give you that imput.

ve66

Feb 27, 2017
Firenze
Hi siljaer, I would like to test your ROM. I'm using ottmi's ROM but I have some problems: i.e. focus problem on the camera, camera works only for photo and non for videos, sometimes I have random reboots.... So I would like to try: which TWRP should I use? may I use gapps? what are the wipes that I need: can you describe me a sequence? TKS

siljaer

Jun 12, 2016
Distopia
Hi siljaer, I would like to test your ROM. I'm using ottmi's ROM but I have some problems: i.e. focus problem on the camera, camera works only for photo and non for videos, sometimes I have random reboots.... So I would like to try: which TWRP should I use? may I use gapps? what are the wipes that I need: can you describe me a sequence? TKS

Sorry for the delay. You can use the same TWRP you're using now. The sequence is exactly the same one described by @ottmi for his rom. And you can use gapps, 64bit. Your feedback will be very appreciated!

As for the wipes, I am afraid that you have to wipe everything except internal sd card :( For later flashings, you don't have to wipe anything.

First time boot takes several minutes, wait some time.

Thanks!

siljaer

Jun 12, 2016
Distopia
OMS/Substratum working

BTW, for those interested in theme engines, I have tested Substratum and it works without root.

ve66

Feb 27, 2017
Firenze

Ok, my feedback:
I wiped cache, dalvik, data and system, then I flashed the ROM and after I flashed the gapps. After reboot I didn't reach to configure the telephone: it appeared me this message "L'app Configurazione guidata si è interrotta" and there isn't a way to configure the telephone. I'm writing from the PC 'cause the phone is out of service. I see the BT icon opened on the right-top of the screen, I don't know if this can help (you told you had problems with BT....). What do you suggest me to do?

EDIT: I flashed the ROM once again without Gapps, I did it two times but without any success, I also had a couple of random reboots

Last edited:

siljaer

Jun 12, 2016
Distopia
Ok, my feedback:
I wiped cache, dalvik, data and system, then I flashed the ROM and after I flashed the gapps. After reboot I didn't reach to configure the telephone: it appeared me this message "L'app Configurazione guidata si è interrotta" and there isn't a way to configure the telephone. I'm writing from the PC 'cause the phone is out of service. I see the BT icon opened on the right-top of the screen, I don't know if this can help (you told you had problems with BT....). What do you suggest me to do?

EDIT: I flashed the ROM once again without Gapps, I did it two times but without any success, I also had a couple of random reboots

What do you mean with "without any success?"

ve66

Feb 27, 2017
Firenze
What do you mean with "without any success?"

I had to power off. I want to say that to make my telephone works I had to reinstall otttmi's ROM. In fact, also if i did a backup just after flashing your ROM, it was impossible to reload the backup. I think it's because - wiping all cache, dalvik, data and system - I deleted also parts that could contain parts of the backup. I reached to have some screenshot, tomorrow I'll post here

ve66

Feb 27, 2017
Firenze
This is what happened Screenshot_20170604-172654.png

Inviato dal mio trunk utilizzando Tapatalk

siljaer

Jun 12, 2016
Distopia
I had to power off. I want to say that to make my telephone works I had to reinstall otttmi's ROM. In fact, also if i did a backup just after flashing your ROM, it was impossible to reload the backup. I think it's because - wiping all cache, dalvik, data and system - I deleted also parts that could contain parts of the backup. I reached to have some screenshot, tomorrow I'll post here

When did you do a backup? Did you backup your data online? From the screenshot, it looks like the restore application failed.

Bizen-Ya

Sep 5, 2009
Toulouse
Hi,

With the last ROM i have a message "Encryption Unsuccessful" after the first boot, i can't do anything.

Thank you

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Hi,

With the last ROM i have a message "Encryption Unsuccessful" after the first boot, i can't do anything.

Thank you

Ok i have reformated my /data from f2fs to ext4, it's ok now.

siljaer

Jun 12, 2016
Distopia
Hi,

Thank you

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Ok i have reformated my /data from f2fs to ext4, it's ok now.

Yes, f2fs is not enabled. I don't know enough about its reliability with CAF kernel.

siljaer

Jun 12, 2016
Distopia
gapps and camera

Yes, f2fs is not enabled. I don't know enough about its reliability with CAF kernel.

BTW, if you're installing gapps I would suggest a flavour that does not replace default applications. Otherwise you will lose Snapdragon Camera that in my opinion is much better than google (legacy, as we use an old HAL) camera.

josoft86

Mar 9, 2015
Reggio di Calabria
@ siljaer
Tried the ROM using TWRP-3.0.2-20161108-trunk.img, without installing gapps as recommended. Pretty fluid without breaks and quite complete without so many customizations. Problems with Smart Launcher does not activate the home key for shutdown or recovery commands. Weekly update to switch to version 20170611 all OK download but failed restart for flash with recovery. Tried several times but nothing to do. Obviously using either Launcher 3 or OmniSwitch. Installed TWRP manual and all OK. By the way, with the first installation I installed Supersu, which I did not find after updating. This is my first impression.

Reactions: siljaer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an adaptation of @ottmi's work to OmniROM (64bit). Feature-wise it is not as rich as LineageOS, but it is an open source friendly project.

Credits go to @ottmi (obviously!), @arvinquilao (for the omnirom seed device tree, my starting point), @lolmaxlik_ru (for the 32bit device tree I used when trying 32bit) and @dev_harsh1998 (Bluetooth loop fix).

The kernel is based on CAF kernel, with changes for the Trunk from @ottmi's kernel. Kernel source is here:
    https://github.com/omnirom/android_kernel_elephone_msm8916

I think it's usable: essential features seem to work. A minor issue is long press for home button, which does not work as expected.

I managed to upload on xda the build now. Bluetooth has been fixed.

The OmniROM team has accepted trunk as an official device. So, you can download the ROM directly from OmniROM website:

http://dl.omnirom.org/trunk/

If you do so, you will be able to receive ROM updates (weekly).

You are welcome to report any problem!

XDA:DevDB Information
    OmniROM 7.1.2 for Elephone Trunk, ROM for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    siljaer, ottmi, arvinquilao, lolmaxlik_ru, dev_harsh1998
    Source Code: https://github.com/omnirom/android_device_elephone_trunk

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: OmniROM

Version Information

Created 2017-05-25
    Last Updated 2017-12-14
    Omnirom is still updating some builds once in a while, as they are working hard with Oreo. But not trunk's: unfortunately, the Blueborne vulnerability must be fixed in order to make a build.

I am using the CAF kernel, and a fix has not been released yet (at least I have not found it). I could cherrypick the fix from other kernels, but I am not sure it will work without problems. Eventually, if CodeAurora does not fix it, I will have to by cherrypicking.

About Oreo, I guess there's still a lot of work (by Omnirom team, not by me) to do. And CAF code for msm8916 has not been released yet either.

I hope to fix my build ASAP.
    Thank you for reporting this. I have never experienced any power off, but I know that some heating occurs when using data connection. I have tried some change, but if you are using the latest weekly they were ineffective. Currently, I am trying the new thermal engine (latest binary), but I have not pushed it yet. I am sorry, but I haven't found a good solution yet :(

I will try to reproduce the problem using GPS too. Maybe it occurs with both GPS and data connection on.

Some news about overheating:

- I have been testing new crackling thermal binaries for a while, now I consider them safe and I pushed them. I hope they can make a difference.

- I have also tried to rewrite the thermal engine configuration; I have added a modem_monitor in order to throttle modem performance when overheating occurs. Most of you experience overheating while using 4G or telephone and I have experienced a temperature increase while using 3G-4G.

- Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce the problem. However, I have enabled thermal debugging. So, if any of you can trigger overheating, they can use logcat and send me the logs.

These changes are already pushed and ready to be in the next weekly, 30th July (probably). That gives me some more time to test them :)
    I have fixed the restart problem and I have pushed the changes. Meanwhile, camera stopped working, so I switched back to the ottmi's HAL, so camera's working again. Those changes should be in the next weekly build. Thanks to @josoft86 :)

New weekly is on omniROM's downloads (http://dl.omnirom.org/trunk/omni-7.1.2-20170618-trunk-WEEKLY.zip) and it includes those changes.
    Are there any reasons why the kernel version so old? I mean 3.10.49 instead of 3.10.104 or later (3.16, for example).

This is 3.10.104 source code: github.com/BenefitA3/android_kernel_ark_msm8916/tree/ZetsuBou
    May be there are newer versions too, I don't know for sure. :)

P.S. Your firmware works great on my ARK Benefit A3. Thanks. :good:

Yes, there's a reason: I am using the CAF kernel with a minimal set of changes. I have also tried the kernel by ottmi (LineageOS based), that is probably better, but I was not sure it would work in any circumstances, as Omnirom suggest CAF or AOSP kernels. However, the 3.10.49 CAF kernel is continuously updated by Qualcomm (about monthly), and I am updating accordingly.

The 3.10.104 or 105 are AOSP kernels. However, since the available kernel is for the google seed and it is 32 bit, it would require some more changes.

As far as I know, we cannot use 3.10+ kernels like 3.16 on the trunk, because we are forced to use proprietary binary blobs that work with 3.10 kernels. This is an issue with any phone, though: actually you can use a newer kernel version only if updated binary drivers are released for any device on your phone. Besides, android is very conservative with kernels: I think that the newest kernel in use are 3.18, in some Mediatek and Qualcomm devices.