FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][TWRP][ROOT] Vizio Smartcast Tablets

2,172 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,767

By deadman96385, Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer on 16th October 2019, 04:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
TWRP

XR6M10
Here

XR6P10
Here

Stock firmware

XR6M10 Version 03.99.01.04 - Marshmallow - Latest
Here

XR6P10 Version 03.02.00.04 - Marshmallow- Latest
Here

How to flash twrp and or stock firmware
  1. Download and install the Qualcomm drivers from here
  2. Download the firmware from above
  3. Extract the firmware to a folder that you can easily access them from like your desktop
  4. Download and install QPST from here
  5. Open the QFIL application (Find it in your start menu)
  6. In the "Select Build Type" field select Flat Build
  7. In the "Select Programmer" field navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the prog_emmc_firehose_8936.mbn file
  8. Select the "Load XML" button and navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the rawprogram0.xml and then the patch0.xml when prompted.
  9. Plug in your tablet
  10. Run the following adb command "adb reboot edl"
  11. If the text at the top of the QFIL application says "No Port Available" click the "Select Port..." option and pick your device. If your device isn't showing up there you didn't install the drivers properly.
  12. Click the Download Button to begin flashing your device

Root
Once you flash twrp you can install magisk via the flashable zip

Some info on what i have found about the device

There is really no security on this tablet. The bootloader will always report as bootloader locked, green dm-verity and secure boot being enabled this is because the LK doesn't seem to have ever been completed on it. Because of this everything it reports is static and the fastboot implementation is broken and doesn't work. This means we will need to EDL to flash the device which I provided instructions above on how to do.

Notes

Some XR6P10 may require more work because there is multiple variants of it made by vizio but what i have uploaded works on mine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deadman96385 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th October 2019, 04:59 AM |#2  
OP Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 7,767

Donate to Me
More
Screenshots:

Root:

Magisk:

TWRP:
The Following User Says Thank You to deadman96385 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th October 2019, 07:26 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Is it just me not able to boot into EDL through ADB? I have a EDL cable arriving later this month I could use but I figure the device should have it. reboot edl through adb just reboots the device normally which is unfortunate.

XR6P10
16th October 2019, 09:52 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hey. And where to get the driver. And then I have two devices without an Android driver and an ADB Interface hanging in my device manager?

18th October 2019, 09:13 PM |#5  

More
I cannot get anything to work on my XR6P10 either. Every time I try to "download" with the QFIL application it just fails.
24th October 2019, 02:04 PM |#6  

More
@deadman96385

In regards to EDL mode am I missing something obvious. I tried EDL cable that has shorted pins which seems to not work "maybe a bad cable?" and ADB reboot edl seems to not work. I've tried ADB on two different tablets to boot into EDL mode but have yet to see the device pop up in device manager.

*I believe after Dec 2017 security patch ADB reboot EDL was removed, ill check the version on the devices since it should be fairly close to this year.
25th October 2019, 05:36 PM |#7  

More
I'm having the exact same issue. adb reboot edl simply reboots the tablet. It does not enter it into EDL mode. I'm assuming you don't need an EDL cable to do this since we're doing this through the ADB interface. Or did I get that part wrong?

edit: I was able to enter EDL mode on the device itself using the following directions I found from another thread

Here is something to try ...
Enter edl via button combo (volup + voldn + pwr)
You should have a black screen ...
Now plug your phone into the cable on your PC/laptop ..
If your PC / laptop doesn't recognise your phone via Miflash or app you are using ...
Try tapping the power button once ...this seems to open/close the port ...
I noticed this when I was using edl mode to flash a ROM
I hope this helps

edit 2 I'm coming across two errors when downloading the ROM. The first is a Sahara Error which is due from not running QFIL immediately after entering EDL mode. Apparently the full connection does not remain open for that long. The second issue that I'm still dealing with is a Firehose error. I've googled this one and nothing seems to work to get around this.
4th November 2019, 07:29 PM |#8  

More
Any update on this? Can't seem to get my XR6M10 rooted following these directions. Running into the same Firehose error as stefanpolo. Thanks!
7th November 2019, 03:45 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanopolo

I'm having the exact same issue. adb reboot edl simply reboots the tablet. It does not enter it into EDL mode. I'm assuming you don't need an EDL cable to do this since we're doing this through the ADB interface. Or did I get that part wrong?

edit: I was able to enter EDL mode on the device itself using the following directions I found from another thread

Here is something to try ...
Enter edl via button combo (volup + voldn + pwr)
You should have a black screen ...
Now plug your phone into the cable on your PC/laptop ..
If your PC / laptop doesn't recognise your phone via Miflash or app you are using ...
Try tapping the power button once ...this seems to open/close the port ...
I noticed this when I was using edl mode to flash a ROM
I hope this helps

edit 2 I'm coming across two errors when downloading the ROM. The first is a Sahara Error which is due from not running QFIL immediately after entering EDL mode. Apparently the full connection does not remain open for that long. The second issue that I'm still dealing with is a Firehose error. I've googled this one and nothing seems to work to get around this.

Its flashed through EDL not ADB and thanks for the tips ill give it a shot. To my knowldege that button combo is just for hard resets on most devices. As of 2017 I believe the security patch removed adb reboot edl as preventive measures to some exploits. I believe that was the last security patch for the device and its dated Jan 1st 2017 for my security patch date. Although I believe it was late 2017 when this was released. Ill give some feed back if I can flash the patched boot file later.

The cable is also just for shorting pins on the USB port which is also a way to trigger EDL most on some devices. I have the cable and it does not work either.

---------- Post added at 03:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

Post your log output from QFIL you can hit save log if you right click the Status area.

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 AM ----------

Ah nvm I see what you mean that it just times out on you. I tried flashing TWRP and it just hangs at start download after specifying the working folder
7th November 2019, 08:52 AM |#10  

More
2019-11-06 21:17:59.560 21:17:59: {ERROR: 'NON-HLOS.bin' not found. You could possibly try --notfiles=NON-HLOS.bin,OtherFileToSkip.bin (note, exiting since you specified --noprompt)}

Not sure where to specify parameters in the app but this would likely be the fix. Also I would assume you need to flash the TWRP file and you mentioned flashing the ROM unless your just trying to update the Android version. Unless you mean getting a dump of the device of that case nvm on my part. This was just me trying to flash ONLY the TWRP which the default setup is expecting specific files such as the modem being NON-HLOS.bin. Ill fiddle around and see if this can be simplified instead of having to flash the entire rom with TWRP as the recovery tidbit.
7th November 2019, 09:53 AM |#11  

More
@deadman96385

sec.dat and config.bin appear to be missing from the image you provide if flashing with QFIL.

On a side note I soft bricked my tablet by trying to eliminate the errors despite I successfully flashed the rest by editing the programmer file. I also did the same edits to just flash the recovery.img which seemed fine but booting into recovery still did not yield a TWRP and the stock recovery was in place. Also for clarity the only other variant I can find is the XR6P10-B which is very seldom in distribution and the specs are unknown. My model is a non B revision.]

What I will try after I restore one of my two devices is maybe just patching boot.img instead of trying to flash TWRP and see if that works for getting magisk installed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)