FORUMS

[ROM] ZTE Grand X View 2 (K81) Root and Stock firmware

2,187 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,792

By deadman96385, Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer on 22nd February 2019, 12:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Stock firmware
Rogers B05 Firmware
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...89523397891291

Separate Firehose download
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...89523397891292

ZTE Kernel source mirror (We are codenamed Helen)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...89523397891289

Here is a step by step guide on how to flash the stock rom with QFIL and by extension any image.
  1. Download and install the Qualcomm drivers from here
  2. Download the firmware from above
  3. Extract the firmware to a folder that you can easily access them from like your desktop
  4. Download and install QPST from here
  5. Open the QFIL application (Find it in your start menu)
  6. In the "Select Build Type" field select Flat Build
  7. In the "Select Programmer" field navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the prog_emmc_firehose_8909.mbn file
  8. Select the "Load XML" button and navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the rawprogram0.xml and then the patch0.xml when prompted.
  9. Plug in your tablet
  10. Run the following adb command "adb reboot edl" (Now the screen should be blank but the led light should be red)
  11. If the text at the top of the QFIL application says "No Port Available" click the "Select Port..." option and pick your device. If your device isn't showing up there you didn't install the drivers properly.
  12. Click the Download Button to begin flashing your device

So the above explains how to flash everything if you want to flash just boot or recovery use the tool in the 2nd post it is a lot easier
22nd February 2019, 12:34 AM |#2  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Saint Paul, Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
Warning
This is a dangerous tool. It can render your device permanently unusable. If you use it, your warranty will likely be void. You accept all responsibility for the consequences.

Acknowledgments
Special thanks to @tdm for taking the firehose I got and creating the k81tool with it!

Note Well
  • The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
  • Always backup your partitions before writing new contents, so that you can get back to where you started.
  • Never write both boot and recovery in one session. Always make sure that you can boot into the other partition in case something fails.

Preparation
  1. Download magisks patched boot.img from here.
  2. Download k81tool from here.
  3. Setup your computer.

Setup for Windows
  1. Download zadig.
  2. Boot your device in EDL mode (see below).
  3. Windows will want to install the Qualcomm USB driver. We won't be using it so cancel.
  4. Run zadig. Find device 05c6:9008 and install the WinUSB driver for it.
  5. Reboot your device and rerun steps to go back to EDL mode

Booting in EDL mode
Code:
adb reboot edl
Usage
Code:
k81tool.exe <read|write> <boot|recovery> <filename>
Example:
Code:
k81tool.exe read boot stock-boot.img
Code:
k81tool.exe write boot patched_boot.img
Multiple Operations
This is a "one-shot" tool. After performing an operation, it will reset the device with a 5 second countdown. If you wish to perform multiple operations (eg. backup, flash), simply re-enter EDL mode.

Common Problems
Device was not found
First enter EDL mode, then run the tool.

Device is visible in device manager but cannot be found by the tool.
Connect directly to the PC, not through a hub.

Windows says bad file descriptor
The WinUSB driver is not installed.

Once you flash the patched_boot.img all you need to do is install the magisks manager and you will have root enjoy!

Proof of root:
The Following User Says Thank You to deadman96385 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2019, 12:35 AM |#3  

Donate to Me
More
Place Holder for TWRP
16th March 2019, 05:23 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
bad links??
Hi
First, thank-you, thank-you, thank-you x 100. I've been looking for a method to root this device from the day I got it as an add on to my cell plan. Not sure if I am missing something but when I click on the androidfilehost links I get taken to a home page but there is no file to download for all three links. Initially I thought I might have to register so I did that but the links still just take you to the Home advert page Could you update the links when you get a chance - thanks !!

edit - I have a couple of questions -As you have been the first to root the device there are obviously no custom firmware builds available so we stick with stock, correct? We will be able to remove the bloatware on stock because it's rooted though, correct? I also use tasker and the AutoApps suite for automation and I need root for some of my tasks so this is a huge step in the right direction. Lastly in order to root the device do we need to do follow all steps in the first post and then complete the steps in the second post? Or is the second post just a different way to do what was done in post 1? I'm excited to root this so thanks for fixing those links! Thanks again for all your work.
17th March 2019, 01:19 AM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanoc75

Hi
First, thank-you, thank-you, thank-you x 100. I've been looking for a method to root this device from the day I got it as an add on to my cell plan. Not sure if I am missing something but when I click on the androidfilehost links I get taken to a home page but there is no file to download for all three links. Initially I thought I might have to register so I did that but the links still just take you to the Home advert page Could you update the links when you get a chance - thanks !!

Sorry about that somehow the links broke, I have updated them so now they are proper.
18th March 2019, 06:48 AM |#6  

More
Hey guys. Having a little trouble. I keep on running into "Failed: unknown error" when I try to flash the patched boot.img that was provided. I managed to read the stock boot image with no problems, but writing just runs into this error.
Thoughts?
I am using the Bell variant so I hope that isn't the source of it
18th March 2019, 06:37 PM |#7  

More
Post Root questions
Hi

I'm about to try to root the device, assuming it goes according to plan, can we then install SuperSU? Do we need a TWRP for the device if we want to install another ROM and are there generic ROMS out there that would work on this tablet? Sorry if these are noob questions, I've been an apple jailbreaker for years and just bought and rooted and installed a custom ROM on a Samsung Galaxy S4. I installed a new android tablet NAV in my BMW and I needed a device to act as a hotspot, so I use Tasker and AutoApps with it to automate the process and it works really well. When I rooted the Galaxy S4 there are a ton of ROMS available for every variant so it was easy to follow the instructions. However, this is totally new territory for me. This device isn't nearly as popular so I wondered what options are available to us once we have it rooted?
19th March 2019, 03:22 AM |#8  

More
same issue failed unknown error
Hi

I am using the Rogers K81 and I am encountering the same failed unknown error when I try to write the patched boot file. I also was able to read the firmware file without issue. I rebooted into edl mode and then tried to write the patched file -

NB - for those who have yet to try, move the k81tool.exe and the patched boot file to your c drive and make sure your at the root of c and then remove the B05 in the patch file name so that it can find the file if you are just cutting and pasting the command line instructions above, otherwise you'll get an error that it can't find the file. If the k81tool.exe isn't in the current directory you are in you will get an error saying k81tool.exe is not a known command ..etc.etc. This might seem obvious to some but for those with little command line experience, it will save you from having to post questions about your errors.
26th March 2019, 04:16 AM |#9  

More
There is a product ZTE primetime K92 which is a successor of a ZTE K81.
Do you plan to support root for ZTE Primetime K92?
26th March 2019, 06:18 AM |#10  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by huaji2333

There is a product ZTE primetime K92 which is a successor of a ZTE K81.

Do you plan to support root for ZTE Primetime K92?

A friend of mine has the k92, and currently it has a locked bootloader even with the firehose and all. So he is working to find an exploit to allow it to be unlocked. But no ETA at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
26th March 2019, 10:07 PM |#11  

More
Thank you for providing this. I have the Virgin Mobile device currently. Just a question before I try this. My past experience with a tablet from Rogers a few years ago was that whenever you put a different sim card in, it would force you to reset the entire device. To get around this, I was lucky that there were other generic firmware available for that device. Does the Rogers firmware that you provide force a reset if you change the sim? I'd ideally like to have the option to change sims when traveling. Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
x-view-2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)