FORUMS

[ROM] ZTE Grand X View 2 (K81) Root and Stock firmware

2,187 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,792

By deadman96385, Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer on 22nd February 2019, 12:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th March 2019, 10:07 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you for providing this. I have the Virgin Mobile device currently. Just a question before I try this. My past experience with a tablet from Rogers a few years ago was that whenever you put a different sim card in, it would force you to reset the entire device. To get around this, I was lucky that there were other generic firmware available for that device. Does the Rogers firmware that you provide force a reset if you change the sim? I'd ideally like to have the option to change sims when traveling. Thanks.
27th March 2019, 11:27 PM |#12  

More
I own a Virgin Mobile Canada ZTE K81 tablet. As much as I like a rooted device, my goal, if possible, is to replace the Bell firmware with the Rogers firmware. The reason I would want to do this is because Bell has done some nasty things with this tablet. The SIM card is IMEI locked to this tablet, I cannot use the SIM card on anything else. So I decided this tablet could be used as a wifi hotspot. Unfortunately, Bell did something to the firmware to make wifi and bluetooth tethering impossible.

I guess the other question I have is will the IMEI lock still work on this Bell tablet after the Rogers firmware is installed?
24th April 2019, 05:20 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
wow i didn't think development for this device would've gotten this far already. we're gonna need our own device forum soon

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridonca

I own a Virgin Mobile Canada ZTE K81 tablet. As much as I like a rooted device, my goal, if possible, is to replace the Bell firmware with the Rogers firmware. The reason I would want to do this is because Bell has done some nasty things with this tablet. The SIM card is IMEI locked to this tablet, I cannot use the SIM card on anything else. So I decided this tablet could be used as a wifi hotspot. Unfortunately, Bell did something to the firmware to make wifi and bluetooth tethering impossible.

I guess the other question I have is will the IMEI lock still work on this Bell tablet after the Rogers firmware is installed?

imei locks are independent of the device itself. you need to get the carrier to give you an unlock code
24th April 2019, 08:16 PM |#14  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Online Gravy

wow i didn't think development for this device would've gotten this far already. we're gonna need our own device forum soon

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

imei locks are independent of the device itself. you need to get the carrier to give you an unlock code

I got Bell to IMEI lock the SIM to another, better tablet, a LG G Pad IV 8.0 FHD (LGV533) from Fido. The SIM works perfectly, I can now wifi tether!

That makes it an easier choice to hack at the Bell K81, now that the IMEI lock is not tied to this K81 tablet anymore. If the Bell K81 works with the Rogers firmware, bonus. If it bricks, not the end of the world. My data plan will still work. I just need to find the time to do the hack!
24th April 2019, 08:52 PM |#15  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Saint Paul, Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridonca

I got Bell to IMEI lock the SIM to another, better tablet, a LG G Pad IV 8.0 FHD (LGV533) from Fido. The SIM works perfectly, I can now wifi tether!

That makes it an easier choice to hack at the Bell K81, now that the IMEI lock is not tied to this K81 tablet anymore. If the Bell K81 works with the Rogers firmware, bonus. If it bricks, not the end of the world. My data plan will still work. I just need to find the time to do the hack!

I have flashed my Bell k81 with Rogers firmware and it works properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to deadman96385 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2019, 06:02 PM |#16  

More
any chance of getting Pie GO installed on this thing, mine lags to even tap and the stock settings leave only 400mb free of ram
2nd May 2019, 01:27 AM |#17  

More
I can't successfully flash the rogers firmware on the VM (Bell) device. When the flashing process gets to 'reading through the sparse file' for the userdata.img file, I get an error. The log reads:
{ERROR: sparse_open:1939 Didn't properly read the sparse_header!
If I delete this file as a test (not sure if that was a good idea), it continues on to reading the ddr.img file, but halts again and the error refers to this file being 0 bytes.
I may have missed a step. When is the kernel file used? Is the Rogers firmware file complete?
2nd May 2019, 02:02 AM |#18  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_021

I can't successfully flash the rogers firmware on the VM (Bell) device. When the flashing process gets to 'reading through the sparse file' for the userdata.img file, I get an error. The log reads:
{ERROR: sparse_open:1939 Didn't properly read the sparse_header!
If I delete this file as a test (not sure if that was a good idea), it continues on to reading the ddr.img file, but halts again and the error refers to this file being 0 bytes.
I may have missed a step. When is the kernel file used? Is the Rogers firmware file complete?

Delete DDR as well and any of the ones it complains about that are empty. When I have sometime I'll upload a new package with those removed.
2nd May 2019, 11:20 PM |#19  

More
Decided to try the k81tool to just root instead, but I'm getting the same Failed:unknown error as others have posted.
(Using VM stock firmware)

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

If you put in a Rogers sim, does it attempt to do a hard reset or just the usual reboot?
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman96385

I have flashed my Bell k81 with Rogers firmware and it works properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd May 2019, 01:05 AM |#20  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman96385

Delete DDR as well and any of the ones it complains about that are empty. When I have sometime I'll upload a new package with those removed.

Deleting the files also fails. The error is {ERROR: handleProgram:8615 'ddr.img' not found. You could possibly try --notfiles=ddr.img,OtherFileToSkip.bin (note, exiting since you specified --noprompt)

Adding back ddr.img, the error is
{ERROR: handleProgram:8666 Filesize is 0 bytes. This is usually a mistake!! Please check 'C:\ZTE\rogers\ddr.img'
3rd May 2019, 02:54 AM |#21  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Deleting the files also fails. The error is {ERROR: handleProgram:8615 'ddr.img' not found. You could possibly try --notfiles=ddr.img,OtherFileToSkip.bin (note, exiting since you specified --noprompt)

Adding back ddr.img, the error is
{ERROR: handleProgram:8666 Filesize is 0 bytes. This is usually a mistake!! Please check 'C:\ZTE\rogers\ddr.img'

Remove ddr from the rawprogram0.xml as well sorry forgot that part.

Quote:

Decided to try the k81tool to just root instead, but I'm getting the same Failed:unknown error as others have posted.
(Using VM stock firmware)

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

If you put in a non-Rogers sim, does it attempt to do a hard reset or just the usual reboot?
thanks

The unknown error is fine its gonna print it a ton but let it do that for a few minutes and it will finish.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
x-view-2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)