[ROM] ZTE Grand X View 2 (K81) Root and Stock firmware

Search This thread

almonds!

Dec 3, 2016
Ya'll have done some fantastic work moving this along. I've had a a Grand X 4 from rogers which honestly got saddle-bagged with (in an exhausted conversation with Biz retention, i thought i was getting a bill discount and a free tablet to stick around. I got an extra line I had no use for, and a financed..not so much use of a tablet as I would much otherwise care for).

Finally got around to getting rid of the phone line for no-one, by still have the Grand X kicking around. And I am more than willing to poke inside. I'll try to catch up and join up.

Kogster

Apr 18, 2011

@deadman96385

When I run the k81tool to write the patched img to boot, I just get "Failed: Unknown Error'. When I run QFIL to run the firehose with the firmware that was linked, it gets stuck at 5.5%. I removed userdata.img and ddr.img from the XML to get around these errors, but to no avail.
Do you have any recommendations on what to do next? Any hint would be deeply appreciated.

s_021

Mar 3, 2019

@deadman96385

When I run the k81tool to write the patched img to boot, I just get "Failed: Unknown Error'. When I run QFIL to run the firehose with the firmware that was linked, it gets stuck at 5.5%. I removed userdata.img and ddr.img from the XML to get around these errors, but to no avail.
Do you have any recommendations on what to do next? Any hint would be deeply appreciated.
If I can help, I remember that you get the 'failed' message even though it actually worked.
I mentioned in post #60 about using MiFlash intead of QFIL. I tried many times with the latter and with different versions but no success.

TrickKing

Aug 30, 2023
Stock firmware
Rogers B05 Firmware
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397891291

Separate Firehose download
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397891292

ZTE Kernel source mirror (We are codenamed Helen)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397891289

Here is a step by step guide on how to flash the stock rom with QFIL and by extension any image.
  1. Download and install the Qualcomm drivers from here
  2. Download the firmware from above
  3. Extract the firmware to a folder that you can easily access them from like your desktop
  4. Download and install QPST from here
  5. Open the QFIL application (Find it in your start menu)
  6. In the "Select Build Type" field select Flat Build
  7. In the "Select Programmer" field navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the prog_emmc_firehose_8909.mbn file
  8. Select the "Load XML" button and navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the rawprogram0.xml and then the patch0.xml when prompted.
  9. Plug in your tablet
  10. Run the following adb command "adb reboot edl" (Now the screen should be blank but the led light should be red)
  11. If the text at the top of the QFIL application says "No Port Available" click the "Select Port..." option and pick your device. If your device isn't showing up there you didn't install the drivers properly.
  12. Click the Download Button to begin flashing your device

So the above explains how to flash everything if you want to flash just boot or recovery use the tool in the 2nd post it is a lot easier
Screenshot 2023-09-16 051046.png
here when m trying to do its showing "download fail: fhloader fail : rocess fail" . pleasesomeone help how can fix this problem??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning
    This is a dangerous tool. It can render your device permanently unusable. If you use it, your warranty will likely be void. You accept all responsibility for the consequences.

Acknowledgments
    Special thanks to @tdm for taking the firehose I got and creating the k81tool with it!

Note Well
    • The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
    • Always backup your partitions before writing new contents, so that you can get back to where you started.
    • Never write both boot and recovery in one session. Always make sure that you can boot into the other partition in case something fails.

Preparation
    1. Download magisks patched boot.img from here.
    2. Download k81tool from here.
    3. Setup your computer.

Setup for Windows
    1. Download zadig.
    2. Boot your device in EDL mode (see below).
    3. Windows will want to install the Qualcomm USB driver. We won't be using it so cancel.
    4. Run zadig. Find device 05c6:9008 and install the WinUSB driver for it.
    5. Reboot your device and rerun steps to go back to EDL mode

Booting in EDL mode
    Code:
    adb reboot edl

Usage
    Code:
    k81tool.exe <read|write> <boot|recovery> <filename>
    Example:
    Code:
    k81tool.exe read boot stock-boot.img
    Code:
    k81tool.exe write boot patched_boot.img

Multiple Operations
    This is a "one-shot" tool. After performing an operation, it will reset the device with a 5 second countdown. If you wish to perform multiple operations (eg. backup, flash), simply re-enter EDL mode.

Common Problems
    Device was not found
    First enter EDL mode, then run the tool.

Device is visible in device manager but cannot be found by the tool.
    Connect directly to the PC, not through a hub.

Windows says bad file descriptor
    The WinUSB driver is not installed.

Once you flash the patched_boot.img all you need to do is install the magisks manager and you will have root enjoy!

Proof of root:
    https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FsHZ6xu0.jpg
    I got Bell to IMEI lock the SIM to another, better tablet, a LG G Pad IV 8.0 FHD (LGV533) from Fido. The SIM works perfectly, I can now wifi tether!

That makes it an easier choice to hack at the Bell K81, now that the IMEI lock is not tied to this K81 tablet anymore. If the Bell K81 works with the Rogers firmware, bonus. If it bricks, not the end of the world. My data plan will still work. I just need to find the time to do the hack!

I have flashed my Bell k81 with Rogers firmware and it works properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk