FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM] ZTE Visible R2 Stock firmware

2,175 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,775

By deadman96385, Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer on 1st March 2019, 06:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th July 2019, 08:03 AM |#21  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Saint Paul, Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEGuy

I'll probably end up taking the OTA again anyways as I've been messing around with the firmware from the first post. Honestly, I'd really recommend staying away from flashing it without a good reason. Even when the flasher works, either the logging and/or the flasher hangs and it's close to impossible to tell which without unplugging your phone. If a partial flash leaves you in a state where you can't get to ADB to boot to EDL mode, you'll have to boot into diagnostics mode, use a piece of Chinese software to boot from there back to EDL, and within five seconds or so, close that software and start the flashing process from QFIL before the com port stops responding to requests, leaving you to reboot the phone and start again.

I've been trying to get non-LTE networks and calling working, but it's entirely impossible to tell whether my tweaks are having unintended side effects or if the flashing just crapped out partway through, even when I'm just flashing single partitions.

I'll be posting B12 firmware shortly, you may have better luck with miflash it's another edl flashing tool designed for xiaomi but it works on anything.

Edit: Posted B12 firmware as well as the ZPI file so you could use the ZTE MultiDL tool to flash as well if desired.
18th July 2019, 06:00 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 1,317

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'll probably end up taking the OTA again anyways as I've been messing around with the firmware from the first post. Honestly, I'd really recommend staying away from flashing it without a good reason. Even when the flasher works, either the logging and/or the flasher hangs and it's close to impossible to tell which without unplugging your phone. If a partial flash leaves you in a state where you can't get to ADB to boot to EDL mode, you'll have to boot into diagnostics mode, use a piece of Chinese software to boot from there back to EDL, and within five seconds or so, close that software and start the flashing process from QFIL before the com port stops responding to requests, leaving you to reboot the phone and start again.

I've been trying to get non-LTE networks and calling working, but it's entirely impossible to tell whether my tweaks are having unintended side effects or if the flashing just crapped out partway through, even when I'm just flashing single partitions.

If you grab the modem img and extract it you might be able to tell if it even supports additional bands. Adding the option to firmware won't do much if the modem doesn't allow for them. My adb is hung "famewolf 4717 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? Zsl 00:01 0:00 [adb] <defunct>" and won't run again till I reboot which I'm not going to do as I have other things running so I've been unable to do much with it. Since the update is only 150mb I can assume it's one big patchfile anyway. Does it not have a hotkey method to go to bootloader? Ie hold down power and up vol or down vol...one usually goes to recovery and the other bootloader...from there if fastboot works and assuming you've backed up ALL the partitions as img's a fastboot flash <partition> partition.img will usually help you get back on track.

This might be useful...says it's Power and Vol up on the ZTE Blade A511: https://hardreset24.com/instruction/...ootloader-mode
19th July 2019, 01:58 PM |#23  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thanks I just got one of these from Visible for $20 (best deal of prime day and didn't come from Amazon) with Oreo 8.1 preinstalled, but I'm new to all this Qualcomm firmware programming, though I have programmed a number of FPGA boards and microcontrollers in my time so hopefully I'll manage to do something useful, like get root and not brick it. [At that price, it's basically a burner phone that I won't mind if I do brick anyway.]

Also I know, from making it work with my "officially non-supported" Pixel 2 XL, that the whole Visible service runs over LTE and LTE only, but in the phone specs it literally says the thing supports GSM and CDMA so one would imagine that it is indeed possible to somehow enable the other bands and use it with other networks even if it doesn't come that way out of the box because it doesn't need them at all for Visible service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf

If you grab the modem img and extract it you might be able to tell if it even supports additional bands. Adding the option to firmware won't do much if the modem doesn't allow for them. My adb is hung "famewolf 4717 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? Zsl 00:01 0:00 [adb] <defunct>" and won't run again till I reboot which I'm not going to do as I have other things running so I've been unable to do much with it. Since the update is only 150mb I can assume it's one big patchfile anyway. Does it not have a hotkey method to go to bootloader? Ie hold down power and up vol or down vol...one usually goes to recovery and the other bootloader...from there if fastboot works and assuming you've backed up ALL the partitions as img's a fastboot flash <partition> partition.img will usually help you get back on track.

This might be useful...says it's Power and Vol up on the ZTE Blade A511: https://hardreset24.com/instruction/...ootloader-mode

It seems to be one of the ZTE devices that doesn't have fastboot, and I have yet to figure out how to access the bootloader or what it is. Even if you enable "OEM Unlocking" in the developer settings and adb reboot-bootloader or use VolUp+Power it just boots straight into normal user mode. You can get into EDL mode with VolDn+Power, from there, I have managed to get a QCN backup but getting some protocol errors when I try to dump the whole firmware so I'll see what I can do.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulCIA For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift paulCIA Ad-Free
19th July 2019, 08:23 PM |#24  
Flag Marquette, MI
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Pretty sure the bootloader's actually unlocked, but I could be wrong. Flashing Magisk just gives me bootloops rather than any sort of integrity errors, and I don't have the tools downloaded on this notebook to try and build TWRP for it.
19th July 2019, 09:29 PM |#25  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf

If you WANT to own this device it's currently $19 out the door on visible.com. No Trade required.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13221781-vi...ade-in-requred

Quote:

Pretty sure the bootloader's actually unlocked, but I could be wrong. Flashing Magisk just gives me bootloops rather than any sort of integrity errors, and I don't have the tools downloaded on this notebook to try and build TWRP for it.

That is promising it's either unlocked or the dm-verity images aren't implemented in the bootloader. I'll have time tonight/tommorow to play with mine it arrived and I've just charged it so far. #WorkProblems
19th July 2019, 10:48 PM |#26  
Flag Marquette, MI

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman96385

That is promising it's either unlocked or the dm-verity images aren't implemented in the bootloader. I'll have time tonight/tommorow to play with mine it arrived and I've just charged it so far. #WorkProblems

I'm leaning towards the former; dumped devinfo.bin and the unlock bits already seemed to be set, unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how that works. Digging in has been slow going otherwise; I'm out in the boonies with a slow connection, no working Linux partition, and a growing hatred for how Windows/NTFS handles file permissions.
20th July 2019, 02:09 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 1,317

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'm leaning towards the former; dumped devinfo.bin and the unlock bits already seemed to be set, unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how that works. Digging in has been slow going otherwise; I'm out in the boonies with a slow connection, no working Linux partition, and a growing hatred for how Windows/NTFS handles file permissions.

Have you considered booting from a live dvd/usb drive? You can even install necessary packages which will of course only remain until you reboot. A jump drive with persistence enabled would keep your changes.
20th July 2019, 05:23 AM |#28  
Flag Marquette, MI

More
Nah, I need to set up a full Arch install again at some point anyways, I've just been putting it off due to slow internet speeds. Honestly tempted to activate my Visible SIM just to see if whatever throttled speeds I get are better than the blazing 3Mb/s we get from our ISP, but the house is right on the edge of a coverage zone; I don't think Verizon even deals up here, normally.
21st July 2019, 08:06 AM |#29  
Flag Marquette, MI

More

Now we're getting somewhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FEGuy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FEGuy Ad-Free
21st July 2019, 08:16 AM |#30  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Now we're getting somewhere.

How did you get a non-verfied IMG to boot? Couldn't get mine to allow anything and while messing with a072 firmware I seem to have broken my partition layout because I can't flash system, userdata, vendor anymore with edl userdata and vendor come after system. So I'm stuck on a non-verfied a072 system.

I can access recovery and EDL via DFU so i should be able to recover with a un-verified twrp or if there is a way to disable verity
The Following User Says Thank You to deadman96385 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2019, 09:09 AM |#31  
Flag Marquette, MI

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman96385

How did you get a non-verfied IMG to boot? Couldn't get mine to allow anything and while messing with a072 firmware I seem to have broken my partition layout because I can't flash system, userdata, vendor anymore with edl userdata and vendor come after system. So I'm stuck on a non-verfied a072 system.

I can access recovery and EDL via DFU so i should be able to recover with a un-verified twrp or if there is a way to disable verity

I'll be honest, I've done nothing to mess with verity; the bootloader seems to support enforcing it but I don't see anywhere that actually sets partitions to require verification. I just modified the rawprogram0.xml to only feature the partitions and images I wanted to flash and used QFIL to flash them. It's been hit-or-miss, but for the most part if stuff won't boot it's because of errors with init or something else. The TWRP is basically just some recovery files from the R2 mashed into a working TWRP for the moto e5 Plus (same screen res, same 425 chipset for some models, seemed like a good choice). The A0722 is a different beast in the same body, with a beefier chipset and a larger eMMC, so it's not really surprising that things didn't go so well.

I did have an issue where some bad flashes left me unable to reflash stock system and vendor partitions the proper way, and they'd basically stop flashing after the first 2M of the image. If that's what's happening for you, you can go to Tools -> Partition manager in QFIL, find the partition you want to flash, right click -> manage partition data -> load image -> select the image you want to flash. It should work with the stock images but if it complains you may need to use simg2img or something similar to convert them to a plain ext4 image first. Honestly I'm still having issues reflashing those partitions 'normally' but the phone boots so I'm not really worried about it.

If you think your partition table is screwed up, you can try just flashing the gpt files first, commenting out or removing everything else in the XML. The flasher looks for offsets on the eMMC rather than the partition table, so it'll flash those where they're supposed to go and ignore everything else. Also, just comment out the userdata section of the rawprogram xml as it's basically designed to throw errors. It tries to flash a zero-byte image as sparse, which means it stops and complains about the headers being wrong. Even if you change the XML so that it's not read as sparse, flashing a null image would probably wipe the partition; a factory reset every flash isn't always useful.

If you want, I can upload the TWRP image and the QFIL settings I used to flash it, but it's largely untested; I know sideloading and flashing ZIPs works, but I've yet to try backing up or restoring partitions. It also hangs (at least in my case) for a minute at startup because it tries to decrypt the data partition without user input, so if there's anything set up it times out before letting the user do anything.

EDIT: Here's the TWRP image, with the XMLs for QFIL. Again, not really tested, bad things bound to happen, I take no responsibility for bricked phones or lost data, etc., etc. Anyone looking to flash this had better back up whatever data they have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FEGuy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FEGuy Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
zte-visible-r2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)