Thanks Meter: 142

By physwizz, Senior Member on 5th August 2019, 10:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th August 2019, 08:22 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by physwizz

Mine is locked to Vodafone but I can still unlock the bootloader.

Vodafone ain't a major carrier and few in the US really know about it. In the US you're dealing with T-Mobile (MetroPCS, Sprint, Boost, Simple Mobile, Walmart Family,) and AT&T (Verizon, H20 Wireless, Cricket, Tracfone, Net10), and the Others (Virgin, what's left of US Cellular). That's about it for stores. AT&T have all their stuff locked down to the MVNOs.

Then you also have folks like Samsung that have SPECIFICALLY stated they are locking down ALL US Variants of their models.
9th August 2019, 11:02 AM |#22  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articul8Madness

Vodafone ain't a major carrier and few in the US really know about it. In the US you're dealing with T-Mobile (MetroPCS, Sprint, Boost, Simple Mobile, Walmart Family,) and AT&T (Verizon, H20 Wireless, Cricket, Tracfone, Net10), and the Others (Virgin, what's left of US Cellular). That's about it for stores. AT&T have all their stuff locked down to the MVNOs.

Then you also have folks like Samsung that have SPECIFICALLY stated they are locking down ALL US Variants of their models.

That's one way to drive away customers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to physwizz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift physwizz Ad-Free
10th August 2019, 04:14 AM |#23  

More
Quote:

Sammy could give less than a rip - in the USA they get big contracts to supply federal workers with their phones, its been an obsession of theirs trying to compete with Iphone. That is partly the reason for this Knox obsession.
10th August 2019, 04:24 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Quote:

Yep. Drove me away. I said the same thing. Samsung wants to be apple. In the US they lock us out.
Motorola skytel pagers, Motorola walkie talkies.
I have chosen my preferred phone oem. Hello Moto!!

See Motorola cares about the bottom line. Bottom line give the customers what they want . Loving my Moto G7power.

Rooted in 10min and flashed the Best buy version firmware. If your in the US don't buy a Samsung phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190809-201802.png
Views:	126
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	4804047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190809-202225.png
Views:	124
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	4804048  
10th August 2019, 06:54 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 1,606

More
Having a Lenovo tablet put me off buying a Moto again (have a very long lived Moto G 2013) but if Lenovo have the sense not to do to Motos what they do to their own branded phones, they are ahead of companies like Samsung who want to progress to a closed platform like Apple. I too have crossed Samsung off the list of next phones to buy

Back on topic.......has anyone updated Magisk to latest version from the previous version that they rooted with?
10th August 2019, 05:37 PM |#26  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajk

Having a Lenovo tablet put me off buying a Moto again (have a very long lived Moto G 2013) but if Lenovo have the sense not to do to Motos what they do to their own branded phones, they are ahead of companies like Samsung who want to progress to a closed platform like Apple. I too have crossed Samsung off the list of next phones to buy

Back on topic.......has anyone updated Magisk to latest version from the previous version that they rooted with?

@jajk Moto isn't without its sins, don't get me wrong. Lenovo Moto is HEAPS less in quality than old school Razr era Motorola. My experience with my E4 made me learn how to make a flashable rom because on that model fastboot flashing back to stock once you unlock the bootloader is damn near like putting the fires of hell out - especially with their phone breaking updates OTA. But on the higher end G7 Power, I had a pretty seamless experience that took about 15 minutes (still softbricked it and had to flash both devices twice, but the time was less than the 48 hours it took me to unlock bootloader, flash, and root my E4). Most important, the battery life is AWESOME (3 days ussing it with data on before I need to charge phone). Can't speak on Lenovo tablets though, as I tend to stay away from tablets.

Samsung's closed platform is going to be the death nell of them, ala Kyocera (who really gets those other than old people not knowing any better), Huawei (that blew up in XDA faces didn't it), and other companies playing the wait x amount of hours for the thing to pop up (looking at Xiaomi). Or we can just start boycotting directly by buying international variants until the USA makes it illegal to import them - which is coming sooner than we give credit for.
13th August 2019, 05:50 AM |#27  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
An interesting quote from this site.
https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html
Flash magisk_patched.tar as AP in ODIN, together with the BL, CP and HOME_CSC files. Never flash only an AP file, as Odin can shrink your /data file-system if you do.
Has anyone noticed a shrinking of the /data file-system?
15th August 2019, 05:32 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Success!
Just wanted to post and confirm that I have successfully rooted my SM-A205W (Canada)

Firmware I used was downloaded here: SOL-A205WVLU1ASE7-20190607143020.zip from Samfrew

Hoping to see some ROMs for this device!
15th August 2019, 05:39 AM |#29  
Flag Lac La Biche
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyanderson94

Just wanted to post and confirm that I have successfully rooted my SM-A205W (Canada)

Firmware I used was downloaded here: SOL-A205WVLU1ASE7-20190607143020.zip from Samfrew

Awesome!

Wish me luck on my attempt of my A205g tomorrow

I live in canada, but the 205g has all the same frequencies I would use for Freedom mobile, and got the device for around 230 cad all in.

What carrier are you on?
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSnizz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheSnizz Ad-Free
15th August 2019, 08:29 AM |#30  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnizz

Awesome!

Wish me luck on my attempt of my A205g tomorrow

I live in canada, but the 205g has all the same frequencies I would use for Freedom mobile, and got the device for around 230 cad all in.

What carrier are you on?

Good luck
15th August 2019, 10:15 AM |#31  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyanderson94

Congratulations
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
samsung-galaxy-a20

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)