FORUMS

[Stock ROM] CAT B15Q ROM development

141 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By harddisk_wp, Senior Member on 30th December 2014, 07:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
CAT has not yet managed to put official stock images or the kernel source code available - even for their oldest phones (even though they are required to)... so here's at least a beginning.

Every firmware archive contains the four partitions UBOOT, BOOTIMG, RECOVERY and ANDROID (/system). These are flashable using spFlashTool, a howto is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...-b15q-t2989627.

Please note that these firmware files were dumped from an EMEA B15Q, dual-sim - there are reports of other models being available under the B15Q model name. In doubt, always make a full backup using spFlashTool's readback mode before flashing one of these. (You should be doing these anyway before every firmware upgrade, CAT doesn't test stuff like compatibility with root!)

Credits for the scatter file go to bigal1337. Credits for spFlashTool and the driver package go to Russian website mtk2000.ucoz.ru.

Tested tools:
Do note that the drivers appear to be modified Google drivers and thus have no digital signature; you will need a 32-bit system to use them.

Flash mode needed for spFlashTool is achieved by removing the battery, starting the flash/readback in spFlashTool and then plugging in the USB cable. You may put in the battery afterwards.

The recovery, fastboot and factory test methods are entered by shutting down the phone and then:
  • recovery mode: press power + volup for 2 seconds, then release power, release volup as soon as recovery has booted
  • fastboot mode: press power + center for 2 seconds, then release power, release volup as soon as recovery has booted
  • test mode: press power + voldn for 2 seconds, then release power, release volup as soon as recovery has booted

In case that a B15Q or general CAT board is opened (for the B15, B15Q and the flagship S50), I request that this thread is moved into its rightful place. And in case anyone wants to help me with a CyanogenMod port, please PM me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harddisk_wp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift harddisk_wp Ad-Free
31st December 2014, 08:53 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag munich

More
CWM Recovery
Using mtkdroidtools, I have built a CWM Recovery image to be flashed with spflashtool, all based on 1.022 firmware. There are two variants:
  1. using stock Mediatek USB IDs: https://mega.co.nz/#!FRxxiRSC!EN5gOR...E8jevicedlT2kI
  2. using Samsung USB IDs: https://mega.co.nz/#!8MowBZCJ!fhs-mX...tFBDIrpynlK84M

The difference between them is that recovery #1 uses the same Mediatek USB id's as the stock image (and thus requires the Mediatek drivers in Windows, which sucks because these are not signed), and recovery #2 uses the USB IDs from a Samsung tablet - so you need the Samsung ADB driver instead, which is digitally signed and far more stable than the Mediatek.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harddisk_wp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift harddisk_wp Ad-Free
31st December 2014, 08:58 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag munich

More
Samsung USB ID fix
See above for the reason; the boot.img with Samsung USB IDs is at:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harddisk_wp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift harddisk_wp Ad-Free
31st December 2014, 09:02 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag munich

More
Hybrid SD Card
And the CWM Recovery + boot.img for those who want to try out the "hybrid SD card" from http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...orage-t2989650, the two images of 1.022 are here:
7th January 2015, 08:29 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I used this, it's great! Now I have 16gb of "internal phone memory" and 14 of "external" sd card. Did not see any performance issues with my SanDisk Extreme III. Do not need root anymore, I wanted it only for link2sd. Thanks harddisk_wp!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to walckenaerius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift walckenaerius Ad-Free
5th February 2015, 10:38 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag munich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by walckenaerius

I used this, it's great! Now I have 16gb of "internal phone memory" and 14 of "external" sd card. Did not see any performance issues with my SanDisk Extreme III. Do not need root anymore, I wanted it only for link2sd. Thanks harddisk_wp!!!

Great to hear someone was crazy enough to replicate my hack But I strongly advise you to keep off OTA updates with the hack enabled.
22nd February 2015, 09:49 AM |#7  
Flag Varna
Thanks Meter: 18

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harddisk_wp

Great to hear someone was crazy enough to replicate my hack But I strongly advise you to keep off OTA updates with the hack enabled.

i have got a message that my sd card is damaged... and there is no way to remove that notification? any ideas?
thanks!
22nd February 2015, 02:50 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag munich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccloud90

i have got a message that my sd card is damaged... and there is no way to remove that notification? any ideas?
thanks!

With or without the SD hack? Try putting the SD card into a Windows machine, chkdsk the fat32 partition. Then plug it into a linux machine and run e2fsck on the data partition.
22nd February 2015, 07:36 PM |#9  
Flag Varna

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harddisk_wp

With or without the SD hack? Try putting the SD card into a Windows machine, chkdsk the fat32 partition. Then plug it into a linux machine and run e2fsck on the data partition.

I tried the sd hack. There was a problem with my sd card partitions... but i reformated it with partition magic and now it works like a charm. No lag or anything.
Better than i was thinking
Greatings!
3rd March 2015, 10:58 AM |#10  
Flag Varna

Donate to Me
More
after one week
OKAY,
after one week of usage my phone became laggy and unstable.
Maybe this is because of my sd card but.... its 10class, i dont know
So i reflashed with the original partitions and now its fast and stable
7th April 2015, 04:48 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Custom Rom
Will there be any possibility to create a Lollipop rom for this device?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
b15q, cat-b15q, stock firmware

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)