FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[TOOL][UTILITY] CarlivScreenshot - take screenshots with Linux or Windows

1,027 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,043

By bluefirebird, Senior Member on 8th April 2015, 11:15 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
CarlivScreenshot tool for taking screenshots while booted up in Android or Recovery. Linux and Windows versions.

CarlivScreenshot is a tool to take screenshots through ADB from you phone or tablet.
The original ideea and starting script was published by majdinj here.

I wrote again the script for windows, I ported that to linux too and added a menu driven interface.

I built the fb2png module from Phil3759's recovery repo and used the adb from latest android sdk. For android screenshots this uses same builtin "screencap" feature as majdinj's utility uses. I made though some changes to recovery section, based on infos posted on this thread.

Requirements:
- USB debugging activated in your device.
- Make sure you can connect to your device through ADB ( Check to see if you can run "adb shell cat proc/emmc" or other adb commands "adb devices" or "adb get-state").
* If in android you can't use the tool because adb can't acces the screencap utility, install adb_insecure apk from chainfire (but that needs to have root).

Why?
I needed a utility to take screenshots in linux, for my recovery, and I couldn't find anything. Of course there are few threads explaining how to do it with commands prompt using ffmpeg, but that never worked for my phone - it worked though the makers_mark's utility in windows (only by selecting both framebuffers because sometime was on upper the good one, sometime on lower), and the majdinj utility. I liked his ideea better and so I decided to port it to Linux in bash.

Credits:
- majdinj for the initial script.
- Kyan.ql, Phil3759 and McKael for the fb2png source and hints (found on their posts).

The tool was tested in JB (android 4.2.2) and Kitkat (android 4.4.2) and worked flawless both in windows and linux (ubuntu).

Check post #2 for Linux version and post #3 for Windows version.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to bluefirebird For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bluefirebird Ad-Free

8th April 2015, 11:15 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
CarlivScreeshot Linux version

To start it just double click on screenshots script (Linux) then choose "Run in terminal" from dialog box.

Attached are few screenshots made with it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bluefirebird For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bluefirebird Ad-Free
8th April 2015, 11:15 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
CarlivScreeshot Windows version

To start it just double click on screenshots.bat script (windows).

Attached are few screenshots made with it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bluefirebird For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bluefirebird Ad-Free
9th April 2015, 11:09 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 201

More
Nice Tool Sir
its Working Perfectly Fine For My MT6589 Device...
Tool
Recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to EnerJon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EnerJon Ad-Free
9th April 2015, 12:21 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJon

Nice Tool Sir
its Working Perfectly Fine For My MT6589 Device...

Sure, thanks man. I'm glad you liked also the updates on my Image Kitchen
As I said I needed a tool like this for linux but I couldn't find it so... I made it
And if it was good for linux I wanted same thing for windows too..
Lot of work though..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefirebird For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bluefirebird Ad-Free
9th April 2015, 06:14 PM |#6  

More
Recovery ScreenShot Tool:
Yes Sir, its A Clean & Fast Tool... Previously i Was Using Makers_Mark's Recovery Screenshot Capturing Tool Which Served Me Well For The Same Purpose But Your Tool is Light Weight And Faster Than Any Other Tool (Y) Thanks

Image Kitchen Tool:
Honestly Speaking, The GUI Version is Good For UnPacking/RePacking Two Or Three IMGs, But For More, i Will Be Using Non-GUI Version v0.5 With Drag And Drop Support Because Of My Laziness :P i am Hoping To See More Updates in Future For Non-GUI Version Too O
The Following User Says Thank You to EnerJon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EnerJon Ad-Free
9th April 2015, 06:23 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Recovery ScreenShot Tool:
Yes Sir, its A Clean & Fast Tool... Previously i Was Using Makers_Mark's Recovery Screenshot Capturing Tool Which Served Me Well For The Same Purpose But Your Tool is Light Weight And Faster Than Any Other Tool (Y) Thanks

Image Kitchen Tool:
Honestly Speaking, The GUI Version is Good For UnPacking/RePacking Two Or Three IMGs, But For More, i Will Be Using Non-GUI Version v0.5 With Drag And Drop Support Because Of My Laziness :P i am Hoping To See More Updates in Future For Non-GUI Version Too O

Well I prefer the menu version, but that's just my oppinion, and I don't think the drag&drop is much easier I drop all my images in correspondig folder and then start to unpack (this was the biggest challenge to make that menu list load al files from folder automatically both in batch and bash, because I wanted a simple way... in the end I managed to do it as I wanted). Ah, and as you may have seen, it's portable: it can run even from a flash drive because there are no special requests for partition.
But I was thinking that not everybody may like the menu version and I kept the version 0.5 for those people - and I intend to keep it along with the other one, and any update in scripts or modules will be applied to that too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefirebird For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bluefirebird Ad-Free
9th April 2015, 10:09 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carliv

I drop all my images in correspondig folder and then start to unpack

i Also Do The Same, i Know What Happens With Drag And Drop When We Have More Than 50 IMGs And Their Unpacked Folders in The WorkDir... LOL
BTW i Was Thinking To Mod Your Drag And Drop Tool So That it Can Be Used From Right Click Menu, This Way it Can Save Us From Scrolling Up And Down Again And Again Just To Drop That IMG/Folder On UnPacking/RePacking Script...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carliv

and I intend to keep it along with the other one, and any update in scripts or modules will be applied to that too.

i am Glad To Hear That Sir
10th April 2015, 04:48 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

i Also Do The Same, i Know What Happens With Drag And Drop When We Have More Than 50 IMGs And Their Unpacked Folders in The WorkDir... LOL

That's one reason I added the Clear folder option

Quote:

BTW i Was Thinking To Mod Your Drag And Drop Tool So That it Can Be Used From Right Click Menu, This Way it Can Save Us From Scrolling Up And Down Again And Again Just To Drop That IMG/Folder On UnPacking/RePacking Script...

About right click I don't think that modding the script will do the job... I guess you have two options for that: one to modify registries or the second (easy) one to place a shortcut for that script in already existent "Send To" menu then click right on your image or folder "Send To" -> the shortcut.
It will work like this.

From now on, if there is more on this, let's move the discussion on the Kitchen thread, because here is offtopic
Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to bluefirebird For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bluefirebird Ad-Free
13th June 2015, 08:09 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,623

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for this works great, Linux version.
3rd November 2015, 11:12 PM |#11  
Narnia
Thanks Meter: 444

Donate to Me
More
Works fine! Thanks @carliv for this useful tool

Screenshots from my 4.2.2 mt6572 device
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
carliv, linux, recovery, screenshot, windows
Previous Thread Next Thread