FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Is this tool easy to use and is it friendly?

Yes! I love it

27 Vote(s)
79.41%
No! Useless as you

7 Vote(s)
20.59%

[TOOL][WIN]Convert folder to EXT4 format using Windows! Lollipop Supported(No Cygwin)

648 posts
Thanks Meter: 639

By Tech N You, Senior Member on 3rd May 2015, 01:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
INTRODUCTION

F2I Quick Peek

Code:
*/WARNING
This tool is in BETA phase and is not for noobs. If you use this, you are choosing to play with your device on your own.
I will not be responsible for any damage to your device or your belongings in your home.
If you blame me for anything that goes wrong I'll die laughing at you/*

Hello all!
Today I present you F2I converter. This tool can convert system folder back to ext4 image format suitable for flashtools without cygwin.
Basically, this tool was made in keeping mind the format used by lollipop structure where dat files were converted to ext4 format and then unpacked, repacking them was kind of hard (or lazy to do so in my case) as it required linux or Cygwin [Based on Xpirt's Guide. Now I've always preferred a way to avoid linux and cygwin :P
I managed to put together a set of tools that can easily convert the extracted system folder back to img for flashing and in lollipop can be converted back to dat format on windows.
So this is what this tool is capable of! If you on lollipop and want @xpirt guide to do so then here it is - [HOW TO] Lollipop DAT files | Compression and Decompression

FEATURES
• Supports all Android Versions
• Works without Linux or cygwin
• Generates Log that help to troubleshoot the issues
• No extra software required (Except Git for Windows)
• Supports both way conversion
• Suggest more features
• Much more to come!

HOW TO USE
You need GIT for windows to run this tool. Kindly download and install GIT from HERE
Now install GIT and when you're done download F2I converter and extract it in core C: directory. There will be a folder names as "IMG_WIN" kindly make sure it is extracted in C:
Recommended GIT is v 1.9.4 or newer.
Mostly everything is self-explanatory in the tool but when you will convert "SYSTEM" folder back to "EXT4 img" format you will be asked to enter size in bytes.
Here is what you are asked to do..
1) Open the system.img inside the respective folder you're working on and then right click on it and click Properties
2) In General tab you'll see something like this

Now copy the highlighted part and paste in the box shown below in image

Now you can continue. Ahead

DOWNLOADS

BUGS
This tool is in BETA phase so you are likely to face some bugs. Though I have paid a lot of attention while creating this tool but you may encounter some small code errors (like path not found etc) I request you to kindly see for yourself and correct it.
You are likely to face this error mostly though
Code:
error in bla bla bla ..... failed to allocate block [NUMBERS] out of space?
If you encounter something like this then it will not work with your files. This will occur mostly in Android 2.3.x-4.4.x and in some cases with 5.0 and 5.1
I am trying to fix this issue. Please co-operate
Rest no major bug.

CREDITS
@xpirt for his awesome guide on lollipop compression and decompression of dat files
Google for being so hepful
XDA for it's awesomeness

XDA:DevDB Information
[F2I Converter] Convert System folder into EXT4 Image without cygwin on Windows!, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
Tech N You

Version Information
Current Beta Version: v1.0
Beta Release Date: 2015-05-03

Created 2015-05-03
Last Updated 2015-05-03
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Tech N You For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tech N You Ad-Free

3rd May 2015, 01:36 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Unknown Land

More
Reserved.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tech N You For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tech N You Ad-Free
3rd May 2015, 01:36 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Unknown Land

More
Reserved Again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tech N You For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tech N You Ad-Free
3rd May 2015, 06:19 PM |#4  
Flag chennai
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Nice Dude ! extracted xolo one files using this ... hoping to port it for q700s
5th May 2015, 04:41 PM |#5  
Flag Costa Rica
Thanks Meter: 9,112

More
Great tool mate!

Enviado desde mi OnePlus One
The Following User Says Thank You to Crash For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Crash Ad-Free
6th May 2015, 10:01 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1,251

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech N You

.....This tool is in BETA phase so you are likely to face some bugs.....I request you to kindly see for yourself and correct it......

i've tried this. see the screenshot. i find only 2 files to copy back to my rom zip.
what about "file_contexts"? can/should the original be retained?
large size difference between original "system.transfer.list" and modified one ok?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F2I_Converter result.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	3299101  
6th May 2015, 11:46 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5,266

Donate to Me
More
Doesn't work for me. I'm unable to find system.img. So I downloaded "sda2img.exe" and I made system.img with it. Then, when I try to recompress system folder in DAT format, there is this problem ( see the screenshot ).

Then I noted that after using it, in "Working_Do_Not_Touch", system.transfer.list and system.new.dat get losts.

6th May 2015, 01:51 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Unknown Land

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0han

i've tried this. see the screenshot. i find only 2 files to copy back to my rom zip.
what about "file_contexts"? can/should the original be retained?
large size difference between original "system.transfer.list" and modified one ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroXCV

Doesn't work for me. I'm unable to find system.img. So I downloaded "sda2img.exe" and I made system.img with it. Then, when I try to recompress system folder in DAT format, there is this problem ( see the screenshot ).

Then I noted that after using it, in "Working_Do_Not_Touch", system.transfer.list and system.new.dat get losts.

Thanks for trying out the tool. You must use same file_contexts

As per your issue sir thing is the output is cleaned up and no file is left back. I request you to try the size from xpirts post on this. Kindly check that and reply back.
6th May 2015, 10:16 PM |#9  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 16

More
[system_new.img?]
Any ideas on how to fix this:

When I try repacking [system folder] back to [system.new.dat] the program throws an error : File not found -- system_new.img
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roms.PNG
Views:	670
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	3300279  
7th May 2015, 03:55 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Unknown Land

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTaL-01

Any ideas on how to fix this:

When I try repacking [system folder] back to [system.new.dat] the program throws an error : File not found -- system_new.img

Option 4 is the correct one for Lollipop i see u chose option 3
7th May 2015, 09:44 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1,251

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech N You

....You must use same file_contexts.....

did so. upon trying to flash rom zip file, "error executing binary in zip....."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m0han For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift m0han Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cygwin, dat compression and decompression, ext4 conversion, lollipop

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)