FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOL] Unlock bootloader in ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M (P027)

919 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,170

By diplomatic, Senior Member on 6th January 2018, 04:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th January 2018, 11:45 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 292

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic

OK everyone, this is important... I found an incompatibility between the new FW's kernel and the tool. You have to use the patched boot image from FW 1709.27 for temporary root... In the meantime, I have to fix it to be able to run under the new FW. But it won't be compatible with the old. And I hope it still unlocks...

Is there a way to update after rooting?

6th January 2018, 11:46 PM |#22  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner.

Has anyone who successfully rooted this device able to do the update after?

You should be able to update when you install the full zip. But then you have to do tethered boot and reroot.
The Following User Says Thank You to diplomatic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diplomatic Ad-Free
6th January 2018, 11:58 PM |#23  

More
Can anyone tell me what directory the system update downloads to? I forgot it's been so long.
7th January 2018, 03:37 AM |#24  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
loner, the OTA update is not what you want. Download the full zip from Asus web site and install using recovery. You can probably put it in your sdcard root folder to have it be detected automatically.
The Following User Says Thank You to diplomatic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diplomatic Ad-Free
7th January 2018, 04:26 AM |#25  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic

loner, the OTA update is not what you want. Download the full zip from Asus web site and install using recovery. You can probably put it in your sdcard root folder to have it be detected automatically.

I already upgraded and rooted again no problem. I just wanted to move the OTA update to another drive so I could look at it later, no biggie.

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

I wonder if this method could work on a ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580CA)
with a Intel chip and Android 6.0
7th January 2018, 06:21 AM |#26  
Flag Haarlem
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swear0730

I'm glad to see that Asus is releasing security updates even if it does break the unlock. My biggest fear buying this tablet was that it would not be updated. I opted for the update and will hope for an updated patch from @diplomatic.

As an aside. I would encourage anyone in this thread to give hit the "Thanks" button for diplomatic!

EDIT: I just checked and see my last update brought me to WW_14.0210.1711.30_20171206. That's different than the 1/4/2018 update showing on the website which is WW_14.0210.1709.30 and what @Joh14vers6 shows.

I think there is a typo on the Asus-site. Mine shows actually the same FW WW_14.0210.1711.30_20171206. I made the patch_boot.img from the Asus-site FW for temp root.

I went to recovery and downgraded to FW WW_14.02.10.1709.27 by selecting the earlier from Asus downloaded FW WW_14.0210.1709.27_20171206 without any modifications! The bootloader unlock/lock tool is working now. So when you upgrade, you can not use the bootloader lock/unlock tool for now and you have downgrade.
7th January 2018, 02:50 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
So I'm rooted fully on .27 FW. I see some users have updated to the .30 and have been successful in rooting again? Is this correct?

If so....Is it the same process (using the same files), except using the .30 FW downloaded from the Asus site and NOT the OTA?
7th January 2018, 03:16 PM |#28  
Flag Haarlem
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeRyno

So I'm rooted fully on .27 FW. I see some users have updated to the .30 and have been successful in rooting again? Is this correct?

If so....Is it the same process (using the same files), except using the .30 FW downloaded from the Asus site and NOT the OTA?

I have tested yet, but one and one already did it. I tested OTA and it won't install, so you to install with recovery. Bootloader is untouched by this FW. The unlocktool does not work when upgraded. When bootloader is locked you can downgrade with the recovery which I did already to unlock the first place. I did the upgrade now and after temp-root with fastboot boot patched_boot.img I could regain permanent root.
7th January 2018, 05:10 PM |#29  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeRyno

Yes. Remember to use the .27 patched_boot.img for the temp root.
7th January 2018, 09:16 PM |#30  
Flag Sicily
Thanks Meter: 462

More
As I understand is it also possible to unroot even temporarily with this tool? Thanks
7th January 2018, 09:30 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Let me get this straight...I like to be thorough:

So...To Update to Jan 4 FW:

1. Update using full FW downloaded from Asus. https://www.asus.com/us/Tablets/ASUS...HelpDesk_BIOS/
2. Do Temp-Root using info from this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...5&postcount=22
3. Use the patched boot image from .27 from above or from this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...0&postcount=72
4. Use tool from OP in this tread.
5. Finished?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
asus-zenpad-10, unlock, z500m

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)