FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOLCHAINS] [ARM/ARM64] [GCC 7.2.1] GNU and Linaro - September 15th, 2017

13,728 posts
Thanks Meter: 50,760

By nathanchance, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 15th May 2017, 09:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th October 2018, 06:06 PM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Noob Question

Is there a reason why Linaro don't provide prebuilt toolchains for arm-linux-androideabi? latest download i found was Linaro NDK, a drop-in replacement for the Android NDK but this is from 2014. i was searching for hours, the link in Prebuilt Toolchain Binaries is dead. I have seen a statement from Bernhard Rosenkränzer that Google has integrated Linaro since Android 7. But Changelog Android NDK r18 tells that "GCC has been removed".

What am i missing here or mixing up? And how is GCC, Linaro GCC and CLANG related?

30th October 2018, 03:25 AM |#112  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kendari
Thanks Meter: 4,868

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aIecxs

Noob Question

Is there a reason why Linaro don't provide prebuilt toolchains for arm-linux-androideabi? latest download i found was Linaro NDK, a drop-in replacement for the Android NDK but this is from 2014. i was searching for hours, the link in Prebuilt Toolchain Binaries is dead. I have seen a statement from Bernhard Rosenkränzer that Google has integrated Linaro since Android 7. But Changelog Android NDK r18 tells that "GCC has been removed".

What am i missing here or mixing up? And how is GCC, Linaro GCC and CLANG related?

You can compile your own using crosstool-NG with NDK r17c (last version to support GCC).

Google is attempting to get rid of GCC from AOSP, so NDK r18 removed support for it.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using XDA Labs
2nd November 2018, 05:56 AM |#113  
Thanks Meter: 69

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Noob Question

They do, although it's prefix is different which might be your confusion (arm-linux-gnueabi). You can find their toolchains in their Linaro Releases page. Here's the link to the latest GCC 7 toolchains, you can find other versions by going to "parent directory" at the top

https://releases.linaro.org/componen...ries/latest-7/
2nd November 2018, 08:10 AM |#114  

More
arm-linux-gnuabi aka arm-[none-]linux-gnuabi is for building linux target, for example ubuntu running on arm device. There are no android libraries. The prebuilt toolchains from this thread are named arm-gnu-linux-androideabi or arm-linaro-linux-androideabi, which have android target. a simple statically linked binary may run on both, linux and android, but don't mix up OS (they are different)
2nd November 2018, 08:15 AM |#115  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kendari

More
Quote:

arm-linux-gnuabi aka arm-[none-]linux-gnuabi is for building linux target, for example ubuntu running on arm device. There are no android libraries. The prebuilt toolchains from this thread are named arm-gnu-linux-androideabi or arm-linaro-linux-androideabi, which have android target. a simple statically linked binary may run on both, linux and android, but don't mix up OS (they are different)

linux on that name means that the toolchain is using Linux kernel headers. gnu means that it uses Glibc for C compiler, android = uses Bionic C compiler.

The Following User Says Thank You to krasCGQ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krasCGQ Ad-Free
2nd November 2018, 01:09 PM |#116  

More
... and that means, we can use arm-linux-gnuabi for target android, or not?

suspicious enough, that we have to use Android NDK r17c toolchain for compiling Linaro toolchain. But this points me to an answer about API selection:

For KitKat we have to set API-Level=19 but Linaro does not have an option to choose. Does it mean, set API-Level in Android NDK for compiling Linaro with crosstool-NG will make Linaro Toolchain with API 19?
3rd November 2018, 03:10 AM |#117  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kendari

More
Quote:

... and that means, we can use arm-linux-gnuabi for target android, or not?

suspicious enough, that we have to use Android NDK r17c toolchain for compiling Linaro toolchain. But this points me to an answer about API selection:

For KitKat we have to set API-Level=19 but Linaro does not have an option to choose. Does it mean, set API-Level in Android NDK for compiling Linaro with crosstool-NG will make Linaro Toolchain with API 19?

That only matters for compiling applications or libraries targeting Android.

5th November 2018, 10:04 AM |#118  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Hey Guys I know that is a Little crazy to come at you like this but I somehow managed to compile a kernel from a modified device source in android Ubuntu Chroot and everything went smooth and got a zImage pretty Quick to my surprise.So,I flashed it using various ways but wasn't able to boot up th device.I wanted to know if there were any differences between cross-compiling and compiling as I was able to successfully compile and boot the zImage using this linaro toolchain.I just tried to be funny as I had a Ubuntu bionic chroot with gcc-7.3.0 so I unpacked the kernel sources and make the defconfig and execueted make command to get a zImage at the end of process Which I thought wasn't possible.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
13th November 2018, 12:00 PM |#119  

More
there should be no difference except a smaller file size maybe
9th September 2019, 08:02 PM |#120  
Thanks Meter: 445

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladehawkz

Also keep in mind that ICE's are often caused by one flag, or one variety of flag (like graphite) not all your flags. You could probably single it out after a few compile attempts.

same how did you fix this?

sorry wrong post
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)