Ulefone Power 3 - TWRP 3.2.1-0 & Root (SuperSU)

Search This thread

ukhellfire666

Jan 30, 2015
Www.cubotxroms.com
This is a thread for the rooting and install of TWRP for the Uefone Power 3

Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

TWRP 3.2.1-0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cLqcDrun5f6h1BHjUFfXDdlhwEWwM-49/view?usp=sharing
SuperSU: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sZwahrodGJmYWzaIohxEETeIAabCOPfb/view?usp=sharing

Steps to install TWRP and SuperSU
Copy the above SuperSU to your SDCard.
First of all, you will be required to unlock your bootloader.
There is an option for this under Developer Options in the settings menu. Activate this.
Also activate USB Debugging. This makes this a whole lot easier.

Now, open a terminal, if on Linux, or command prompt if on windows, and enter the following:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Code:
fasboot oem unlock
Follow the onscreen instructions to unloack your bootloader. THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE!!!
Once this is complete, it will go back to the fastboot screen.

Now, from within your terminal/command prompt, navigate to the folder where you have downloaded the above recovery.img to.
Enter the following command once there:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

This will flash TWRP to your device, overwriting the stock recovery.

Once this is complete, there will be a screen telling you how long it took etc. Now you need to hold down your volume up button, and power button. Keep holding these untill you reach the menu for recovery, fastboot or normal mode.
Select Recovery.
This will boot into TWRP for the first time. when you get there, you will be prompted with a screen asking for a password. Cancel this.
WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT FORMAT DATA LIKE IT ASKS YOU!"" YOU WILL LOSE TWRP!!!
Your then presented with the main TWRP screen, go ahead and tap on Install. Next, hit Select Storage, and select Storage 1. This is your SDCard.
Now flash SuperSU.
When this is installed, reboot to your main system, and update the SuperSu binary.
Now proceed to reboot back to recovery, how ever you wish.
Once in recovery, go into Wipe, and hit Format Data, this will wipe your phone again, but youve just done this anyway so it doesnt matter ;)
Now flash SuperSU again, just to be safe, the same way as above.
Reboot to your system, and your done!

You will have to go through the setup of the whole android system again, but its worth it ;) your now rooted and have TWRP to install the Custom ROMs that will be coming shortly ;)

Have Fun!

tbst1337

Jan 26, 2018
alright, so i tried to flash super su, but i never get to access the storage partitions (i think they are not mounted).
so i tried to factory reset / wipe the phone to get rid of the encryption, but i still cant select storage 1 from the menu.

here some more detail:

- i have already had the bootloader unlocked
tLOV7sz.jpg

- then i come to this screen when twrp starts, and select "swipe to allow modifications"
cY4HaR4.jpg

- then i press install and want to select "storage 1", this however doesnt work. (due to encryption?)
FNmn61T.jpg

- i tried to mount it, but cant even mark it active. just gets gray for half a second and then nothing
TetlEPJ.jpg

- tried to do a wipe via twrp as well, with no success
C97cn9S.jpg

any ideas?

Last edited:

ukhellfire666

Jan 30, 2015
Www.cubotxroms.com
alright, so i tried to flash super su, but i never get to access the storage partitions (i think they are not mounted).
so i tried to factory reset / wipe the phone to get rid of the encryption, but i still cant select storage 1 from the menu.

here some more detail:

- i have already had the bootloader unlocked
tLOV7sz.jpg

- then i come to this screen when twrp starts, and select "swipe to allow modifications"
cY4HaR4.jpg

- then i press install and want to select "storage 1", this however doesnt work. (due to encryption?)
FNmn61T.jpg

- i tried to mount it, but cant even mark it active. just gets gray for half a second and then nothing
TetlEPJ.jpg

- tried to do a wipe via twrp as well, with no success
C97cn9S.jpg

any ideas?

Your third screenshot - what's the last option, under Microsd?
Also, when going through install, can u see "external SD"?

tbst1337

Jan 26, 2018
Your third screenshot - what's the last option, under Microsd?
Also, when going through install, can u see "external SD"?

the last one is USB OTG, also showing 0MB - i actually tried flashing supersu through the usb as well, with no luck
i can see external_sd but there dont seem do be ANY contents

do you think it is the encryption? because everything shows 0MB in brackets

EDIT:

i just thought what the hell i try again to flash it via usb. havent changed anything but suddenly SUCCESS :D

appreciate your time :) thanks

Last edited:

ukhellfire666

Jan 30, 2015
Www.cubotxroms.com
the last one is USB OTG, also showing 0MB - i actually tried flashing supersu through the usb as well, with no luck
i can see external_sd but there dont seem do be ANY contents

do you think it is the encryption? because everything shows 0MB in brackets

EDIT:

i just thought what the hell i try again to flash it via usb. havent changed anything but suddenly SUCCESS :D

appreciate your time :) thanks

So what did you do differently? If you can explain a bit more, I'll change/add it to the guide. Maybe as a second option or something...?

tbst1337

Jan 26, 2018
So what did you do differently? If you can explain a bit more, I'll change/add it to the guide. Maybe as a second option or something...?

i just booted again into twrp and suddenly my 4gb usb was showing up as the only thing not 0mb, so the usb otg partition was mounted. from there on i just pressed install and located the zip file on the usb drive. had some errors. below some pics i took with my old phone:

xzer5yN.jpg

ImQx10u.jpg

tmaExX6.jpg

8DDHdoY.jpg

ukhellfire666

Jan 30, 2015
Www.cubotxroms.com
i just booted again into twrp and suddenly my 4gb usb was showing up as the only thing not 0mb, so the usb otg partition was mounted. from there on i just pressed install and located the zip file on the usb drive. had some errors. below some pics i took with my old phone:

xzer5yN.jpg

ImQx10u.jpg

tmaExX6.jpg

8DDHdoY.jpg

Ahhh brilliant! I don't suppose u found that he sdcard was mounted too did you?
Have the errors gone now your rooted? The rest of the guide should still count...?

tbst1337

Jan 26, 2018
Ahhh brilliant! I don't suppose u found that he sdcard was mounted too did you?
Have the errors gone now your rooted? The rest of the guide should still count...?

yes i am indeed rooted!
everything else, including internal storage was 0mb as well. usb otg was literally the only one.
i have not gone back into recovery since, but rebooted several times and also used root apps (adaway). everything seems to work great and the rest of the guide still counts!

in total, everything seems stable until now :good: :D my goal is to not touch twrp anymore until android 8.1 will be released ;)

ukhellfire666

Jan 30, 2015
Www.cubotxroms.com
yes i am indeed rooted!
everything else, including internal storage was 0mb as well. usb otg was literally the only one.
i have not gone back into recovery since, but rebooted several times and also used root apps (adaway). everything seems to work great and the rest of the guide still counts!

in total, everything seems stable until now :good: :D my goal is to not touch twrp anymore until android 8.1 will be released ;)

The official 8.1 update with overwrite TWRP.
I am now working on a cm14.1 build. As im having to use a prebuikt kernel, this is as far as I can go.
As soon as I have a beta ROM I'll upload.

Don't suppose you could boot to recovery and just double check that everything is as it should be? Put my mind at ease, make sure it works for you, as it does for me...

tbst1337

Jan 26, 2018
The official 8.1 update with overwrite TWRP.
I am now working on a cm14.1 build. As im having to use a prebuikt kernel, this is as far as I can go.
As soon as I have a beta ROM I'll upload.

Don't suppose you could boot to recovery and just double check that everything is as it should be? Put my mind at ease, make sure it works for you, as it does for me...

sure man, maybe joining me on discord would make this process faster https://discord.gg/jPZqn4

MioCZ

Nov 3, 2012
Usti nad Labem
Hi.

Thank you for twrp.

I am trying to use SuperSu with SuHide, i wipe data with this twrp to be able to install supersu in BINDSBIN mode to /data but data partition stay unencrypted to be mountable with thw twrp.

How to encrypt it back with own known password keeping supersu and suhide working?

TWRP has no option to reformat with password, no way to get origin password for stock recovery formated partition.

Any idea?

Last edited:

ukhellfire666

Jan 30, 2015
Www.cubotxroms.com
Hi.

Thank you for twrp.

I am trying to use SuperSu with SuHide, if i wipe data with this twrp to be able to install in BINDSBIN mode to /data but data partition stay unencrypted.

How to encrypt it back with keep supersu and suhide working?

TWRP has no option to reformat with password, no way to get origin password for stock recovery formated partition.

Any idea?

No idea I'm afraid. Sorry.

MioCZ

Nov 3, 2012
Usti nad Labem
I used encryption in system Setup, i works, but with unknown password stored somewhere in nvdata partition. I am worry about loose root after OTA update :( and without pasword for twrp no way to get again to data partition.

DaF1974

Apr 26, 2010
Stuttgart
I'm thinking of buying this phone. It's great to see that root already seems to work and that there might be a CM/LineageOS Rom soon. Root and custom recovery is crucial so one reason less to not buy it.
Are you guys happy with it in general? Does the dual camera work with bokeh and shoot good photos with low lag required to capture playing kids? Good value?

alshyib

Mar 24, 2016
I can not install Snap Chat

Thank you ukhellfire666:D
The recovery was successfully installed
My question:
is there any idea to fully remove superSu to install snapchat
A full system backup has been taken.

tbst1337

Jan 26, 2018
I'm thinking of buying this phone. It's great to see that root already seems to work and that there might be a CM/LineageOS Rom soon. Root and custom recovery is crucial so one reason less to not buy it.
Are you guys happy with it in general? Does the dual camera work with bokeh and shoot good photos with low lag required to capture playing kids? Good value?

good day to you.
in general i am happy with it, but the camera really blows. it is - without a doubt - the worst camera i had since my LG VX-5200. iphone 6s and galaxy s6 have way better cameras.
i am really frustrated, because they advertised the 4 cameras ..." " heavily, but they really suck. maybe it's just with the stock app and another app would make it better (but somehow i doubt that)
tomorrow i will go on holiday and was stoked that the phone arrived before, so i could take it with me to take pictures etc. seems like i will need to get the old digital camera out....

Reactions: DaF1974

MioCZ

Nov 3, 2012
Usti nad Labem
Thank you ukhellfire666:D
The recovery was successfully installed
My question:
is there any idea to fully remove superSu to install snapchat
A full system backup has been taken.

Is possible to flash un-supersu package. Is somewhere in SuperSu topic. Or you can flash clean ROM / your backups (boot.img, recoovery.img, system.img).

Because this i have used supersu in BINDSBIN mode and suhide. So i have hiden su, locked bootloader, working OTA and all root sensitive apps.

bhicham49

Apr 26, 2008
bootloop

Hello, I followed the instructions but my phone bootloop on twrp, it does not start the system can you help me please?

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Hello, I followed the instructions but my phone bootloop on twrp, it does not start the system can you help me please?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a thread for the rooting and install of TWRP for the Uefone Power 3

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

TWRP 3.2.1-0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cLqcDrun5f6h1BHjUFfXDdlhwEWwM-49/view?usp=sharing
    SuperSU: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sZwahrodGJmYWzaIohxEETeIAabCOPfb/view?usp=sharing

Steps to install TWRP and SuperSU
    Copy the above SuperSU to your SDCard.
    First of all, you will be required to unlock your bootloader.
    There is an option for this under Developer Options in the settings menu. Activate this.
    Also activate USB Debugging. This makes this a whole lot easier.

Now, open a terminal, if on Linux, or command prompt if on windows, and enter the following:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Code:
    fasboot oem unlock
    Follow the onscreen instructions to unloack your bootloader. THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE!!!
    Once this is complete, it will go back to the fastboot screen.

Now, from within your terminal/command prompt, navigate to the folder where you have downloaded the above recovery.img to.
    Enter the following command once there:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

This will flash TWRP to your device, overwriting the stock recovery.

Once this is complete, there will be a screen telling you how long it took etc. Now you need to hold down your volume up button, and power button. Keep holding these untill you reach the menu for recovery, fastboot or normal mode.
    Select Recovery.
    This will boot into TWRP for the first time. when you get there, you will be prompted with a screen asking for a password. Cancel this.
    WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT FORMAT DATA LIKE IT ASKS YOU!"" YOU WILL LOSE TWRP!!!
    Your then presented with the main TWRP screen, go ahead and tap on Install. Next, hit Select Storage, and select Storage 1. This is your SDCard.
    Now flash SuperSU.
    When this is installed, reboot to your main system, and update the SuperSu binary.
    Now proceed to reboot back to recovery, how ever you wish.
    Once in recovery, go into Wipe, and hit Format Data, this will wipe your phone again, but youve just done this anyway so it doesnt matter ;)
    Now flash SuperSU again, just to be safe, the same way as above.
    Reboot to your system, and your done!

You will have to go through the setup of the whole android system again, but its worth it ;) your now rooted and have TWRP to install the Custom ROMs that will be coming shortly ;)

Have Fun!
    I might be naive but isn't the power 5 the same hardware with a bigger battery and different cameras but already running Oreo 8.1? Is there anyway of modding the firmware for the power 3? I believe there was also a demo version for the power 3 of Oreo 8.1?

For starters, I hear what your saying. But unfortunately it's not that simple.
    The power 5's hardware, deeper inside, is more different than you think. They use different lcm's for starters. This means different drivers within the kernel. Which aren't present in the opposite devices. I.e the power 5's kernel, doesn't contain the right driver for the power 3's LCM. Which is your screen. So you'll effectively have no screen. Possibly worse? (I stand corrected)

As for the preview ROM, it's never actually been released.
    They had a link on their blog, that said click here to down load or something, but it was never hyperlinked. Therefore, never downloaded by anyone. It didnt exist.

On the other hand, I am currently, very slowly, working on a kernel for the power 3. If I can get it to work, I will personally updating the device to 8.1, probably via the Lineage OS route...

Stay tuned...

good day to you.
    in general i am happy with it, but the camera really blows. it is - without a doubt - the worst camera i had since my LG VX-5200. iphone 6s and galaxy s6 have way better cameras.
    i am really frustrated, because they advertised the 4 cameras ..." " heavily, but they really suck. maybe it's just with the stock app and another app would make it better (but somehow i doubt that)
    tomorrow i will go on holiday and was stoked that the phone arrived before, so i could take it with me to take pictures etc. seems like i will need to get the old digital camera out....
    Can the recovery image be installed via flash tool without having to wipe the device?

Well... The recovery would be installable through flash tools yes. Without wiping? I don't know. The reason the device is having to be wiped, is due to an encrypted data partition. I think the data partition would still be encrypted even with flashing through sp flash tools.
    Feel free to give it a go and report back though!

Do you require the scatter file? Or can you generate one yourself?
    Hello, I tried this method and it officialy does not work anymore, I got stuck in bootloop and thank god I'm not complete newbie I fixed it. TWRP does not work for v40 of Ulefone Power 3 & Android 7.1 Do not attempt this unless someone makes a new one.

I unlocked the bootloader & all with fastboot & it works fine now, although I do have Orange mode notice when I restart it.
    It is a great phone, still ahead of many mid budget ones currently out & if someone is smart enough to make a twrp version for it I'd greatly appreciate it. It is a ***** to root & flash on it. :D