[Umidigi One Max] Custom ROM, Modding, Rooting - Complete guide

105 posts
Thanks Meter: 24

By _cab13_, Senior Member on 24th June 2019, 12:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th September 2019, 04:47 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Has anyone tried dual SIM and SD hack on this phone? I cant get my to work. When I do the hack, phone does not see any sim cards nor SD card.
However if I put only two sims, or sim and SD everything works well.
It is almost like issue w Samsung but no warning message
8th October 2019, 08:20 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
can i use this process on umidigi one as well
q1. Can i use this process on umidigi one as well?

When i visit "Official TWRP recovery.img by chankruze : https://twrp.me/umidigi/onemax.html" and search on devices they don't have umidigi one or one pro only the one max option. Other than screen size all three are pretty much spec'd the same. The umidigi one just doesn't have wireless charging or nfc that one pro and one max have and one max has 6.3 waterdrop vs one/one pro 5.9 notch display but all 720x1520 9:19 aspect ratio configurations. I found a umidigi one and one pro twrp recovery image here _https://unofficialtwrp.com/umidigi-one-umidigi-one-pro-root-twrp-recovery/ so if i have that are all the other downloads for doing non-rooted device upgrade to 9 pie non-device specific downloads?

q2. Nice to see this process covers a way to get form 8.1 to 9 w/o rooting device. Having never done so i'm curious why other search hits cover steps that require rooting device if the upgrade can be achieved without doing that, any insights?

q3. Would you say the likelyhood of bricking my device, if trying to follow these instructions using umidigi one vs one max, very low? Trying to determine if i should first line up and have on hand backup phone to use if the chance of that happening is high.
9th October 2019, 01:32 AM |#13  

More
does magisk install allow me to upgrade to android 9 pie?
does magisk install allow me to upgrade to android 9 pie from the default android 8.1 oreo on my umidigi one or do i have to use the twrp recovery setup option to enable installing gsi arrowos or pixel experience android 9 pie update?
10th October 2019, 07:42 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusrn

does magisk install allow me to upgrade to android 9 pie from the default android 8.1 oreo on my umidigi one or do i have to use the twrp recovery setup option to enable installing gsi arrowos or pixel experience android 9 pie update?

Yes, with the single installation of magisk you could upgrade to Android 9, but you would have many more functions through TWRP. how to remove encryption, backup, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to drkiro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drkiro Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 09:33 PM |#15  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkiro

Yes, with the single installation of magisk you could upgrade to Android 9, but you would have many more functions through TWRP. how to remove encryption, backup, etc.

Thanks for reply. I was trying to see android 9 pie in magisk modules listings reviewed elsewhere and wasn't seeing what looked like a full android 9 install but rather options that themed and existing android 8.1 like android 9.

q1. If i complete the spft application of magisk_patched.img version of boot.img and try the android 9 module update option that's a one way street correct?

q2. Can one disable magish_patched.img version of boot.img by using spft to put the oem boot.img back in place?

q3. Sounds like twrp is the best way to put the official pixel experience android 9 [ or 10 ] custom rom on my umidigi one device. Your article shows how to get twrp enabled without bootloader unlocking the device. Any insights as to why there are so many articles suggesting that you have to bootloader unlock device to get twrp custom recovery image installed?
10th October 2019, 10:02 PM |#16  

More
Quote:

Thanks for reply. I was trying to see android 9 pie in magisk modules listings reviewed elsewhere and wasn't seeing what looked like a full android 9 install but rather options that themed and existing android 8.1 like android 9.

q1. If i complete the spft application of magisk_patched.img version of boot.img and try the android 9 module update option that's a one way street correct?

q2. Can one disable magish_patched.img version of boot.img by using spft to put the oem boot.img back in place?

q3. Sounds like twrp is the best way to put the official pixel experience android 9 [ or 10 ] custom rom on my umidigi one device. Your article shows how to get twrp enabled without bootloader unlocking the device. Any insights as to why there are so many articles suggesting that you have to bootloader unlock device to get twrp custom recovery image installed?

Magisik, is used so that android 9 can boot, (now 10), in the system update to android 9, you only update the System partition, everything else remains as the manufacturer installed it, when you install twrp, you only change the partition recovery, and when you install magisk you change the boot partition, all this can be reversed, if you install the original versions.
The Following User Says Thank You to drkiro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drkiro Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 11:01 PM |#17  

More
Quote:

Magisik, is used so that android 9 can boot, (now 10), in the system update to android 9, you only update the System partition, everything else remains as the manufacturer installed it, when you install twrp, you only change the partition recovery, and when you install magisk you change the boot partition, all this can be reversed, if you install the original versions.

just to clarify, with the magisik patched boot.img i'm then able to apply a module that enables access to android 9 [ or 10 ] in the system update UI at which point i will carry out a standard issue android 8.1 to 9 [ or 10 ] upgrade process vs twrp where it appears you directly apply a gis custom rom like the mainstream pixel experience or arrowos options?
10th October 2019, 11:17 PM |#18  

More
Quote:

just to clarify, with the magisik patched boot.img i'm then able to apply a module that enables access to android 9 [ or 10 ] in the system update UI at which point i will carry out a standard issue android 8.1 to 9 [ or 10 ] upgrade process vs twrp where it appears you directly apply a gis custom rom like the mainstream pixel experience or arrowos options?

No, there is no custom rom, which can be installed from the system update, all are images of the system partition, which are called GSI, which are installed by means of fastboot, or by twrp, all of them can be found here: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_e...%28GSI%29-list
11th October 2019, 01:11 AM |#19  

More
Quote:

No, there is no custom rom, which can be installed from the system update, all are images of the system partition, which are called GSI, which are installed by means of fastboot, or by twrp, all of them can be found here: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_e...%28GSI%29-list

interested in what makes a gsi [ generic system image ] custom rom an official vs an unofficial image given the pixel experience is listed as unofficial and aosp, arrowos and resurrectionremix offerings i've seen referenced in many places are listed as official.

i'd like to try the only official android 10 q aosp listing on my umidigi one to get off the dated android 8.1 experience and onto the more current one. This article suggests i can get twrp onto my device without bootloader unlocking it and with ability to revert back to the factory oem image setup currently running on it, if that update causes me to loose functionality or stability, using twrp recovery.

Is that a correct interpretation of the instructions in this article, and your clarifications in our exchange? I'm interested in experimenting but would like to not loose ability to go back to non-bootloader unlocked factory oem image in the event i need to exercise device hardware warranty or sell it. Thanks for your clarifications and additional insights.
11th October 2019, 01:51 AM |#20  

More
Quote:

interested in what makes a gsi [ generic system image ] custom rom an official vs an unofficial image given the pixel experience is listed as unofficial and aosp, arrowos and resurrectionremix offerings i've seen referenced in many places are listed as official.

i'd like to try the only official android 10 q aosp listing on my umidigi one to get off the dated android 8.1 experience and onto the more current one. This article suggests i can get twrp onto my device without bootloader unlocking it and with ability to revert back to the factory oem image setup currently running on it, if that update causes me to loose functionality or stability, using twrp recovery.

Is that a correct interpretation of the instructions in this article, and your clarifications in our exchange? I'm interested in experimenting but would like to not loose ability to go back to non-bootloader unlocked factory oem image in the event i need to exercise device hardware warranty or sell it. Thanks for your clarifications and additional insights.

You can return, to the Originate flashing state, this image, https://community.umidigi.com/forum....extra=page%3D1 , can experiment with any image and return it to the original state, the pixel experience does not work with this phone, in Android Q the NFC does not work, and the videos in whastapp, do not work. Android 10 image comes without gapps, you have to flash them. If the twrp you can flash it through fastboot
11th October 2019, 02:08 AM |#21  

More
Quote:

You can return, to the Originate flashing state, this image, https://community.umidigi.com/forum....extra=page%3D1 , can experiment with any image and return it to the original state, the pixel experience does not work with this phone, in Android Q the NFC does not work, and the videos in whastapp, do not work. Android 10 image comes without gapps, you have to flash them. If the twrp you can flash it through fastboot

Thanks for additional details and insights on gaps in current AOSP android 10 / q custom rom. I have the umidigi one vs one max that you referenced and found current oem 8.1 image here [ https://community.umidigi.com/forum....extra=page%3D1 ] and current twrp custom recovery here [ https://unofficialtwrp.com/umidigi-o...twrp-recovery/ ]. The umidigi one doesn't have nfc or q charging hardware that the umidigi one pro and one max have so that bug shouldn't be an issue and being in america i don't use whatapps only skype so it would seem i won't loose device functionality although github issues list said someone with umidigi one max was noticing cellular data connections flaking out at times.

This article suggests that i can use twrp to flash custom rom image and not adb platform tools fastboot services is that correct?

My understanding is making use of twrp to flash gapps, after applying gis such as aosp android 10 / q custom rom, enables access to google play store. Is that correct?

Overall its sounding like i should be able to experiment without bootloader unlocking and with ability to return to oem state so i don't end up with hardware that can't make use of outstanding warranty coverage should a hardware error arise.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
umidigi-one-max

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)