FORUMS

[KERNEL] [3.4.5] Wiko DarkMoon (MT6582) | Performance | [15-02-2015]

4,874 posts
Thanks Meter: 19,331

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from superdragonpt: Kernel Build v1.2 is up ;)
Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 * DO NOT LEECH MY DOWNLOADS, PLEASE RE-DIRECT YOUR FORUM /PAGE 
 * TO THIS THREAD, IF YOU LIKE MY WORK, YOU CAN SAY THANKS, 
 * AND MAYBE BUY ME SOME BEERS
 */

Open Sourcing Mediatek - Wiko DarkMoon ; SoC MT6582

Being owner of an Mediatek device, means (most of the times) not having the sourcecode published by the Official vendor.

Wiko only published an faulty source (incompleted, and unbuildable sources).
Furthermore the source is not for our device (its incompleted and belongs to another phone ...)

Well this is xda after all, meaning we can accomplish pretty much everything

This is an fully Custom Kernel Source.

Hello Guys !

In this thread you will find my custom Kernel for the Wiko DarkMoon (and Clones)
Please be sure to read (and re-read) to avoid unnecessary questions.

Changelogs

Changelog v1.2 (February 15 2015)
  • Toolchain: Now compiled with the Latest Linaro-Cross 4.9.1
  • Source fixs in order to compile with Linaro's 4.7>+
  • New compilation build flags (enabled neon/ ffast-math, etc)
  • Disabled Mediatek debugger daemon aee
  • Kernel compression LZMA > XZ
  • Reduce vfs cache pressure to 20
  • Random: Entropy tweeks
  • TCP: initial TCP window size lock to 64K
  • Dynamic Management of dirty page writebacks (Fully controled on Performance Control app / other kernel management apps)
  • Increase Swappiness 60>70 (Better UI)
  • vm MAX readahead increase 512>1024
  • mm: vm MIN readahead increase 16>32
  • Several MTK Platform Fixs; Bad symbols fixs
Add IO Schedulers:
  • Sio
  • row
  • vr
  • zen
Add CPU Governors (enabled):
  • Ondemand
  • Hybrid
  • Conservative
  • Interactive

Changelog v1.1 (10 August 2014)

• ToolChain: Mooved to Linaro Toolchain 4.6.4 Cortex Optimized
  • CPU Governor: Added SmartAss v2
  • MTK vermagic hack …
  • VM_MAX_Readahead 128 --> to 512 Kb
  • Tweak vm dirty ratios
  • Compile vfp with neon
  • NOATIME and NODIRATIME by default
  • Disabled GFS and enabled ARCH_POWER
  • Optimized SLUB
  • Asynchronous I/O latency to a solid-state disk greatly increased

Changelog v1.0 (August 06 2014)

• Insecured
  • Persistent ADB
  • Compiled using GCC 4.6 ToolChain
  • zImage Compression changed from GZIP to LZMA
  • VM MAX READAHEAD changed from 128 to 512 Kb
  • Removed debug Sh##
  • Merge Userdata Partition + Internal SDCard

GPL Compliance:

Kernel 3.4.5
GitHub Repo

I do respect the GPL, but using someone else's work without proper credits is just LACK OF RESPECT.
  • The inclusion of this kernel in your ROMS is NOT allowed.
  • Instead add a link to my kernel thread as a recommendation on your thread.

I Don't support KANGS!

So please Show some respect, when using my commits, as well as the commits i added from other Dev's (with proper credits/ git authorization)

Fail to comply and i will drop this project

Credits:
  • superdragonpt
  • Christopher83 For his awesome ToolChains / Dirty Pages writebacks
  • varun.chitre15 For several MTK commits (git Authoriz)
  • faux123 For some merged commits
  • All (common) kernel contributors | www.kernel.org for keeping Linux / Android alive

I would also like to thank:
  • bgcngm, for the MTK unpack / repack kernel scripts

XDA:DevDB Information
[KERNEL][3.4.5] Wiko DarkMoon (MT6582) | Performance |, Kernel for the Android General

Contributors
superdragonpt
Source Code: https://github.com/dragonpt/Kernel_Wiko_DarkMoon_Custom

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.2
Stable Release Date: 2014-08-06

Created 2014-08-06
Last Updated 2015-02-16
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to superdragonpt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th August 2014, 08:30 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Lisbon / Taiwan / USA

Donate to Me
More
How to Flash
You'll need an Custom Recovery:
You can find the latest Carliv Touch Recovery (CWM Based) here

On recovery:

No need to wipe anything
Just Flash the kernel.zip
It wont afect the rom, or your userdata

But Just in case, make an full backup before flash

Download

Kernel Download is available in the XDA: DEVDB

Or

On my dev-Host

KERNEL_Wiko_DarkMoon_v1.2.zip - 4.05 MB
KERNEL_Wiko_DarkMoon_v1.1.zip - 4.21 MB

Notes

When giving feedback, please refer what's the kernel version / Rom your using

YOUR FEEDBACK IS IMPORTANT

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to superdragonpt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th August 2014, 08:31 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
F.A.Q
F.A.Q
  • What's this new Partition Layout thing ?
  • --> In Order to fix the Bad stock device Layout (having so less space for installing apps), since Wiko choose to have the emmc nand divided into an Internal SD + Userdata.
    I Modified the Kernel partition layout, so that both are merged together (and this is the right way)
  • So.. What do i need to do?
  • ---> If your using the Stock partition Layout, i have included an modified fstab on the rom.zip so that your device dont fall into bootloop ... however only one of the internal partitions will be available
  • ---> I stongly advise that you modified your Device Layout with the internal userdata mod v2 (2.5GB)
  • --> IF you still find some issues mounting the SD Card (External), there's an alternative patch that you can download and flash on Recovery (EDIT: Merged on Kernel v1.1)

• After flashing the internal userdata mod v2, i have "Phone Storage is damage", what Can i do ?
  • --> You need to reboot into recovery and wipe /data , later you can restore your data in the advanced Restore Option.

• How can I change IO Schedulers and Governors ?
  • --> You can use the Performance Control app to change CPU Governors / IO Schedulers and many other Kernel features.
  • What's the Best Governor / IO Scheduler?
  • --> Depends on your needs (Performance; Powersaving; etc)
  • An good resource, check this This Thread OR Just Google it ...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to superdragonpt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th August 2014, 09:44 PM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 27,819

Donate to Me
More
Great congratulations!

One question: with the partition mod, there's only sdcard storage available?

Gesendet von meinem T0LTE mit Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DerTeufel1980 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DerTeufel1980 Ad-Free
7th August 2014, 12:15 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
After install sdcard with 0mb free. And sdcard1 with external SD. Cannot install nothing.
Have I done something wrong. On 2.5gb mod.
Regards
Obrigado

Sent from my DARKMOON using Tapatalk
7th August 2014, 02:03 AM |#6  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel1980

Great congratulations!

One question: with the partition mod, there's only sdcard storage available?

Hi, yes (check pics)

I could made the External SD Card show as "SD Card" but apps still think that was an Internal SD card..
So i modified the fstab this way, and everything works (keep in mind that for this to work i had to modified the partition.define on kernel source code)

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvr

After install sdcard with 0mb free. And sdcard1 with external SD. Cannot install nothing.
Have I done something wrong. On 2.5gb mod.
Regards
Obrigado

Hi

There's an new alternative fstab file, that you can download, simply flash on recovery (no wipes required)

Update INFO about this issue.

Thanks for the feedback

Regards
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superdragonpt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th August 2014, 07:23 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
OK. With alternative fstab all work fine.
Thanks.
Regards.

7th August 2014, 08:53 AM |#8  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 27,819

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdragonpt

Hi, yes (check pics)

I could made the External SD Card show as "SD Card" but apps still think that was an Internal SD card..
So i modified the fstab this way, and everything works (keep in mind that for this to work i had to modified the partition.define on kernel source code)

Regards

Hi

There's an new alternative fstab file, that you can download, simply flash on recovery (no wipes required)

Update INFO about this issue.

Thanks for the feedback

Regards

Ah, got it. At first I thought you merged [email protected] (I think it is dev/block/mmcblk0p5) with mmcblk0p8 (which is sdcard) to create only one big /data partition. In your rom you then could use sdcard binary (system/bin/sdcard) to map a virtual sdcard from data/media to storage/sdcard0. But that's only theory and I didn't try this.

Btw:
Do you also have a commit history for older changes?

Gesendet von meinem T0LTE mit Tapatalk 2
7th August 2014, 04:16 PM |#9  
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 235

More
Good to see kernel development for mt6582! :thumbup:

Can't just imagine that it took 5 mnths compile it! Well to be really honest i think you would have got better feedback if you realeased it for canvas 2 colours and its clones like myphone agua rio, explay fresh, wiko rainbow, qmobile noir i9 etc because it have the most Android development mostly custom roms and users when we talk about mt6582 generally! ( its my opinion )

Dnt know wether we have the sources for our device or not but is there a way that we the users of similar device but much larger screen i.e 5" can take advantage of this kernel sources and its github repo???

I am new to kernel development so plz never mind this comment of mine you are already doing a great job out there once again keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Sent from my Micromax A120 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malick186 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift malick186 Ad-Free
7th August 2014, 04:38 PM |#10  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel1980

Ah, got it. At first I thought you merged [email protected] (I think it is dev/block/mmcblk0p5) with mmcblk0p8 (which is sdcard) to create only one big /data partition. In your rom you then could use sdcard binary (system/bin/sdcard) to map a virtual sdcard from data/media to storage/sdcard0. But that's only theory and I didn't try this.

Btw:
Do you also have a commit history for older changes?

Hi
With this modified layout, ebr2 wonr be used (so indeed i merged emmc+mmcblkxx internal SD into one single partition)
I wont be use an virtual SD Card (data/media) that really messes things really bad ...

ON all my source projects i always have an full commit history, but since this was an on going development for many months, it would be virtually impossible to make an full commit history.
Even worse, it would be useless, since you can't make an "diff" with an "original/stock" source, since there's none.
Most of the changes are under mediatek/platform drivers and mediatek/common and device configs.
And thers files are not on my repo, since they are copyrighted (as we all know) and i really dont need (another) DMCA takedown in one of my git repos.

--> In terms of changes in this new MTK platform MT6582/92, you can check both the Makefile, and build script under /kernel they've got several changes/ commits on them to get this source to compile.
I've done the best i could on # comment my changes on the files. (So you'll see a lot of #CM #WIKO DarkMoon .... etc)

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by malick186

Good to see kernel development for mt6582! :thumbup:

Can't just imagine that it took 5 mnths compile it! Well to be really honest i think you would have got better feedback if you realeased it for canvas 2 colours and its clones like myphone agua rio, explay fresh, wiko rainbow, qmobile noir i9 etc because it have the most Android development mostly custom roms and users when we talk about mt6582 generally! ( its my opinion )

Dnt know wether we have the sources for our device or not but is there a way that we the users of similar device but much larger screen i.e 5" can take advantage of this kernel sources and its github repo???

I am new to kernel development so plz never mind this comment of mine you are already doing a great job out there once again keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Sent from my Micromax A120 using XDA Free mobile app

I usually only release source built works for devices that i own, it would be impossible to work on an device that i do not own...

About "porting":
Keep in mind, that the only common thing is the SoC (MT6582) everything else is different (device sensors/ custom configs and even custom drivers)

But yes, for an developer that knows what his doing, this aditional source, should be usefull

Regards
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superdragonpt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th August 2014, 04:19 PM |#11  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Info 2 Camera
Hi guys

I got feedback from some users that some of you can only use the front camera, and you can't see the rear camera.

Let me just tell you, that this is not kernel related, but this depends on the Wiko rom version your using, i also tested and my own custom rom also suffers this minor issue.

Reason why, is that the initial wiko JB 4.2.2 Roms (from Build 8 /9/10/11/12/13) have different camera .blobs that are not compatible with this kernel (and thats why you see an different kernel build on different wiko rom builds), my rom is based on wiko build 8 btw ...

Tomorow i will release an patch (that will be pre-included in future kernel builds) that fixs this issue for all of you.

Regards

Thanks for the feedback
The Following User Says Thank You to superdragonpt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kernel, mt6582, superdragonpt, wiko, wiko darkmoon, wiko-darkmoon

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)