FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

ZenPad S Root achieved

1,973 posts
Thanks Meter: 366

By madsquabbles, Senior Member on 19th July 2015, 01:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
all credit to social-media-concepts and vampirefo who developed the root:

this has only been tested on the Z580C model and ONLY FOR LOLLIPOP.

finally got root on my zenpad s 8. i can't say how this'll affect updates in the future, but this is done after taking the first update out of the box as of 7-19-15.

pretty much all you do is follow the info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...p-cwm-t2975096

grab the file here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=352

download intel usb drivers here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/and...ndroid-devices

download the latest chainfire su: https://download.chainfire.eu/696/Su...erSU-v2.46.zip and copy to your device or sd card

make sure your android sdk is up-to-date.

if you happened to already install the device and the usb adb device has the yellow warning on it, just updated the device driver after installing the intel drivers. select brows my computer... let me pick... scroll down to intel and select adb device.

next verify that adb recognizes your device -> adb devices

unzip IntelAndroid-FBRL-05-16-2015-PTR and run launcher.bat
if your device is detected select T2 and press enter.

wait a good while as it reboots into recovery. you'll see an error on the launcher bat about failing b/c of too many links or something, just ignore. you device will restart and have a buncha lines of text. after about 3-5min it'll boot into CWM. install su zip and reboot (didn't need to fix su at the propt).

you may want to do a nandroid before flashing SU. i skipped it so i can't say whether it'll be successful or not, but it's better to be i case something goes wrong. i'm still w/in my return period :P
there you go. enjoy an adfree device or what ever you want to do with your rooted tablet!

stock image available here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...3.8.0-user.zip
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to madsquabbles For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift madsquabbles Ad-Free

19th July 2015, 08:06 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Mine is now stuck on spinning in the boot. It wont start up
The Following User Says Thank You to kyron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kyron Ad-Free
19th July 2015, 08:36 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
try booting back into recovery and running the script again - the launcher.bat . did you follow the instructions exactly? you should have booted to a tethered cwm where you flash root from. if you boot back into cwm reflash root. I'm assuming you allowed cwm to fix root. I skipped that step.

I believe you can get into recovery by holding vol down while booting up.
22nd July 2015, 09:19 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
It worked for me. Thanks alot! Definitely skipped the "allowed cwm to fix root" at the end.

- Sweet relief. Now to debloat the hell out of this puppy!

Update - After root and debloat this thing runs like butter. I cant believe how good this is for $199. I was a bit worried about the Intel chip, but it actually runs cooler than any Snapdragon 600 or 800 I have ever used. Even when streaming video for hours.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to retrospooty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift retrospooty Ad-Free
23rd July 2015, 12:41 AM |#5  
Flag Cincy
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrospooty

It worked for me. Thanks alot! Definitely skipped the "allowed cwm to fix root" at the end.

- Sweet relief. Now to debloat the hell out of this puppy!

Update - After root and debloat this thing runs like butter. I cant believe how good this is for $199. I was a bit worried about the Intel chip, but it actually runs cooler than any Snapdragon 600 or 800 I have ever used. Even when streaming video for hours.

Can I get a de-bloat list? I removed quite a bit but not sure what all is safe to remove. Its running great now, but i would love to get as much of that junk off as possible.
23rd July 2015, 02:17 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsutton

Can I get a de-bloat list? I removed quite a bit but not sure what all is safe to remove. Its running great now, but i would love to get as much of that junk off as possible.

I haven't really gone through and tested everything to make sure its all 100% for sure good. A few hours of use with no issues at all. I just use Titanium backup and then go as follows. Freeze/Disable anything that starts with the word ASUS that you dont use. Even the Asus services (not keyboard and obvious stuff). I kept the Asus launcher though even though I use Nova because it caused issues with wallpapers when I disabled it.

then go through the list of apps and Freeze ones you dont use. A good way is to get the app "Advanced task killer free" . See what apps are running in your background. If its running and you dont use it freeze it. That should get you most of the way there. If you arent sure, just do a few at a time and see how it runs. If you broke something, unfreeze it. No harm done. I am not really done either... It's a process.
The Following User Says Thank You to retrospooty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift retrospooty Ad-Free
23rd July 2015, 02:35 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
yep this thing is a steal at $200 and root makes it even better. wonder why there's so few reviews on best buy. it's been out for 3 weeks or so. I was #2 review.

4:3 is growing on me. I started digging it with my nexus 9. I doubt I'd get 4:3 for anything bigger than 9 in though.
23rd July 2015, 02:38 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsutton

make sure you freeze and don't uninstall since we don't have a way of getting back to stock... or am I wrong on that?

has any tried a nandroid yet?
23rd July 2015, 04:55 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles

make sure you freeze and don't uninstall since we don't have a way of getting back to stock... or am I wrong on that?

has any tried a nandroid yet?

Yup, that is good advice. You can always unfreeze, you cant always re-install. Titanium Backup full version is well worth the couple dollars.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retrospooty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift retrospooty Ad-Free
23rd July 2015, 09:12 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Ugh I'm stuck between buying the 199 model or waiting for the 299 model, I mean I don't honestly need 4gb of ram nor 64gb of storage. I just want them Haha, I'd use it mostly for reading and movies really.
23rd July 2015, 12:37 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takinato

Ugh I'm stuck between buying the 199 model or waiting for the 299 model, I mean I don't honestly need 4gb of ram nor 64gb of storage. I just want them Haha, I'd use it mostly for reading and movies really.

i'm using mine the same way so i decided to not spend another $100 for the CA version. though for taking notes and stuff should be nice on this thing. it is freaking light! those who have weaker arm strength or have to hold a tablet for extended periods may like it better than a galaxy note 8 (only slightly lighter) or 10.1. it's waaaay lighter than a surface.

i can notice when a tablet i heavier than another one, but i don't complain like so many people seem to over a few ounces since the weight differences are sometimes just the weight of pencil or burger... i've never struggled holding a friggin pencil! but this thing is like holding nothing. it's amazing how much battery life and performance you can get in it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)