BLUBOO S1 - Development & Support

Search This thread

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi, i just tried to use Substratum but it seems not to be working. It compiles themes fine, but no layers are applied at reboot (even those you say that are working). Substratum has root permissions from Magisk.
Maybe there's something wrong in the root procedure, since i cannot manage to install magisk modules too...
- unlocked bootloader;
- flashed via fastboot cwm no touch recovery;
- rebooted in recovery and flashed magisk-v14.0.zip

Looking in MagiskManager logs i see an error mounting 'loop0' at boot.
Any idea?

Better use this TWRP softly modded https://goo.gl/KiHWPL cause CWM is an older version and like developer said it is not totally adapted to ours device. when you flash this recovery you have basically two methods to flash some zip/mod;
1. Obviously through same recovery using an otg mouse, and
2. Using FlashFire app from PlayStore, this app need a working recovery but you go to flash through same app and it will redirect its own scripts to your recovery rebooting when process finishes.

What Substratum theme you are using? A simple way to verify if themes were install if looking for with a root file explorer in /system/vendor/overlays and you´ll find here an app for every themed app.

Whitesnake386

Nov 11, 2017
Substratum

Better use this TWRP softly modded cause CWM is an older version and like developer said it is not totally adapted to ours device. when you flash this recovery you have basically two methods to flash some zip/mod;
2. Using FlashFire app from PlayStore, this app need a working recovery but you go to flash through same app and it will redirect its own scripts to your recovery rebooting when process finishes.

What Substratum theme you are using? A simple way to verify if themes were install if looking for with a root file explorer in /system/vendor/overlays and you´ll find here an app for every themed app.

I tried different themes, including the ones you mentioned earlier in the thread but no luck.

I'll try with TWRP (maybe it has better support for the device than CWM) and flashfire, as i don't have an adapter for otg mouse.

Whitesnake386

Nov 11, 2017
Better use this TWRP softly modded cause CWM is an older version and like developer said it is not totally adapted to ours device. when you flash this recovery you have basically two methods to flash some zip/mod;

No way. Both CWM and TWRP lead to the same results. Magisk modules are flashed/installed without errors but at reboot they're not showing up, and Substratum still not working (same as Magisk, they compile fine but no .apk in /system/vendor/overlay/). Maybe i shall try mounting /system r/w when compiling substratum layers...
Could it be some differences in firmware? I'm running L_V04, the one that came with OTA updates (phone was shipped with L_V02)...
What firmware are you currently running?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
No way. Both CWM and TWRP lead to the same results. Magisk modules are flashed/installed without errors but at reboot they're not showing up, and Substratum still not working (same as Magisk, they compile fine but no .apk in /system/vendor/overlay/). Maybe i shall try mounting /system r/w when compiling substratum layers...
Could it be some differences in firmware? I'm running L_V04, the one that came with OTA updates (phone was shipped with L_V02)...
What firmware are you currently running?

I´m on V07 and works too in V01, my device is from the second batch distributed from company and I guess that V02,03 and 04 are the first batch although I don´t think that the issue should be for this reason.
Sometimes we install a system over other and maybe works a clean install. How these recoveries don´t made a good work they leave some trash files with any flashing.
If you try a clean install erasing first system through fastboot and then installing a new maybe you get best results although you can install too V07, if you can´t through SPFlashTool then install system through fastboot.
Also you can try other theming app like "Layers manager" based on RRO layers from Sony that do a similar job like Substratum.

Whitesnake386

Nov 11, 2017
I´m on V07 and works too in V01, my device is from the second batch distributed from company and I guess that V02,03 and 04 are the first batch although I don´t think that the issue should be for this reason.
Sometimes we install a system over other and maybe works a clean install. How these recoveries don´t made a good work they leave some trash files with any flashing.
If you try a clean install erasing first system through fastboot and then installing a new maybe you get best results although you can install too V07, if you can´t through SPFlashTool then install system through fastboot.
Also you can try other theming app like "Layers manager" based on RRO layers from Sony that do a similar job like Substratum.

From what i know V01, V06, V07, V10 are from the first batch where sensors were fake or not working (then patched to mimic their functionality), L_V02, L_V03, L_V04 are from the second batch with real sensors. But i may be wrong.

I think mine is from second batch, cause light and proximity sensors were working right out of the box. I think your's from first batch... Is adaptive brightness working on your device?

Btw, i even tried reflashing a clean system through SPFlashTool but no way, Magisk v14 installs fine and grants root permissions, but no modules can be installed nor preferences are stored. I guess this is because /data/magisk.img cannot be mounted at boot (error in log is 'mount /dev/block/loop0 -> /magisk failed with 13: permission denied').
I didn't try with a different firmware version other than L_V04 though. I'll try V07 too, just in case...

Xposed is the only thing i can make work perfectly.

Today i even tried Magisk-v15.0, it gets stuck on Orange State screen and adb logcat tells me there's no 'sh' binary :silly::silly::silly:
I'll make some experiments in the next days :cool:

Reactions: lyhoangthai1993
Oct 16, 2017
From what i know V01, V06, V07, V10 are from the first batch where sensors were fake or not working (then patched to mimic their functionality), L_V02, L_V03, L_V04 are from the second batch with real sensors. But i may be wrong.

I think mine is from second batch, cause light and proximity sensors were working right out of the box. I think your's from first batch... Is adaptive brightness working on your device?

Btw, i even tried reflashing a clean system through SPFlashTool but no way, Magisk v14 installs fine and grants root permissions, but no modules can be installed nor preferences are stored. I guess this is because /data/magisk.img cannot be mounted at boot (error in log is 'mount /dev/block/loop0 -> /magisk failed with 13: permission denied').
I didn't try with a different firmware version other than L_V04 though. I'll try V07 too, just in case...

Today i even tried Magisk-v15.0, it gets stuck on Orange State screen and adb logcat tells me there's no 'sh' binary :silly::silly::silly:
Did you try to install on v01? I'm in v10 but I use x-plore to delete the system is not. The v01 is erased, can even do everything. Did you try on v01?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016

I read some place about that sensors are fake or not working properly in some versions but if the physical sensors modules are present can be solved.

In Aliexpress Sellers from China first root and then reinstall firmware in all devices before sending to proof all details (maybe they don´t made a good job and it´s difficult for final users know if the version that device brings is the correct or not). I noted that in my device works proximity sensor although not properly to screen on again in a call and sensor lights I guess not, I didn.t find correct thread in chinese to solve this.

You can install system.img from any of the versions through fastboot, obviously with SPFlashTool doesn´t accept this but fastboot has only a size image limitation and I guess that this device supports at least 2,8 gb in system partition.

Correct way to do the clean flashing process for me is:
- First going to recovery and doing a complete wipe/format data except ext-sd if you have one (maybe need delete in your sdcard manually all the files related with the rom cause at first boot devices takes some data apps of your old rom)
- Then going to fastboot and perform "fastboot erase system" then "fastboot erase boot"
- Then install system image and boot patched with Magisk (important)
- Install TWRP through fastboot (I trust more in fastboot for performing some installation when the file it´s not a stock created for device)
- Do a first boot
- Install Magisk (going to recovery through adb)
- Then install Xposed/substratum/layers.

Also maybe your rom is odexed that sometimes refuses to be modified/themed cause framework restrictions and v07 is not odexed.

jemmini

Apr 15, 2015
TWRP 3.2.1 for BLUBOO S1

TWRP 3.2.1 for BLUBOO S1

Based on Android 7.0 firmware ver.BLUBOO_S1_Helio_P25_L_V04_20170908 / 2017年 09月 11日 星期一 15:57:08 CST

WARNING!! Strictly follow these installation instruction!

Install:
1. Enter to fastboot mode, Unlock bootloader using "fastboot oem unlock" command
2. Reboot to the system
3. Enter to fastboot mode again, and flashing TWRP using "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" command
4. Enter into TWRP and Install the "Magisk-v15.1.zip" path
5. Reboot to the system
6. Install the MagiskManager-v5.5.2.apk

Attachments

• TWRP_321_for_Bluboo_S1.zip
    13.8 MB · Views: 1,718
  • Root(Magisk).zip
    10.2 MB · Views: 1,126
Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
TWRP 3.2.1 for BLUBOO S1

Based on Android 7.0 firmware ver.BLUBOO_S1_Helio_P25_L_V04_20170908 / 2017年 09月 11日 星期一 15:57:08 CST

Install:
1. Enter to fastboot mode, Unlock bootloader using "fastboot oem unlock" command
2. Reboot to the system
3. Enter to fastboot mode again, and flashing TWRP using "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" command
5. Reboot to the system

Thanks for the tool, at last a touch recovery. Just if it´s possible provide a link to know how you get touch; I found a lot of devices with mediatek that has same issue. I´m in v07 and works perfectly.

tnsantos

Mar 21, 2011
Recife
Hi, I had twrp installed on my bluboo s1 and tried to do a format data factory reset from recovery, nothing did happended. Than I went to configuration and did a factory reset from android. The phone restarted and only boots into recovery. How can i fix this? Please help.

jemmini

Apr 15, 2015
Hi, I had twrp installed on my bluboo s1 and tried to do a format data factory reset from recovery, nothing did happended. Than I went to configuration and did a factory reset from android. The phone restarted and only boots into recovery. How can i fix this? Please help.

flash original recovery.

Reactions: tnsantos

tnsantos

Mar 21, 2011
Recife

Hey thanks again. I downloaded the file you attached and boot the phone into CWM, next went to power menu and selected reboot to recovery. The phone is now in FASTBOOT mode... only this text is showing at the bottom of the screen.

Next I started SP Flash Tool by doing sudo ./flash_tool, selected the scatter file you also sent, selected download only and click Download at SP Flash Tool.

Next I plugged the phone into the USB, SP Flash Tool console output looks like:

Connecting to BROM...
Scanning USB port...
Search usb, timeout set as 36000000 ms
add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-5
add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-5:1.0

nothing is really happening.

Edit1:
after a few minutes:
Timeout for searching USB port.

What am I doing wrong? @_@

Edit 2:
I'm trying now by 'fastboot flash recovery', the console looks 'sending 'recovery' (11790 KB)... and nothing else, the bluboo s1 screen looks like: 'USB Transfering...' and everything is stopped. :(

Edit 3:
OMG I'm so dumb I'm sorry.
fastboot flash recovery ./recovery-verified.img did the trick. I'm now waiting for the device to get out of the bluboo boot screen. It played the boot animation and is stuck at boot image. Maybe bootloop?

Edit 4:
YAYYYYYY it booted! OMG! I thought I've lost my phone.

Last edited:

unkash

Apr 20, 2011
TWRP 3.2.1 for BLUBOO S1

Install:
2. Reboot to the system
5. Reboot to the system

Thanks for the tool, at last a touch recovery. Just if it´s possible provide a link to know how you get touch; I found a lot of devices with mediatek that has same issue. I´m in v07 and works perfectly.

In this twrp works fine touch?

Is twrp better than cwm?

I'm using cwm, can i flah twrp directly over cwm? Or i need flash stock recovery first ??
Thx

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
In this twrp works fine touch?

Is twrp better than cwm?

I'm using cwm, can i flah twrp directly over cwm? Or i need flash stock recovery first ??
Thx

Yes, in general TWRP is better than CWM thas is officialy abandoned from years ago although most of the new roms use scripts based on TWRP.
Touch in this works fine.
You can flash it over CWM directly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In order to keep this thread clean, please use this one to discuss about Development, Support or Software Updates.​

HOW-TO Root, Install Custom Recovery (TWRP) and Restore Stock ROM guide: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NJcDBkLk8zMwyv2BTqRjn2NB_ZOWKjP1fRpSVr44Oxk

ROMs:

To avoid any possible issue, do not forget to backup your NVRAM so that you won't risk to lose your IMEI. How-to: http://www.anythingultimate.in/2015/11/how-to-backup-your-nvram-partition.html

Stock (Android 7.0)

- 20170911: https://mega.nz/#!xUlWTYIa!UGR5M73hQ6OeD2-KDQEGPlrf5odjdWkzpNHK2onY9Ek

DO NOT USE THE "Format All & Download" OPTION IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR IMEI! Choose "Firmware Upgrade" instead.

Previous Releases:
    Flash Tool

- SP Flash Tool for Windows and Linux: https://mega.nz/#F!dYUm0TbB!SWeMLb5Wu1NbRzTPQ8-s_A

Recovery:

Root:

Rooting Methods (if you are on Stock ROM)

- SuperSU (flashable using TWRP): http://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu

Extras (Root-Only):

Customization

- Xposed Framework (not available on Nougat yet): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

Useful Third-Party Apps:

Battery Life

TWRP 3.2.1 for BLUBOO S1

TWRP 3.2.1 for BLUBOO S1

Install:
    2. Reboot to the system
    5. Reboot to the system
    Hi!
    What is the risk to trying to flash a Vx or L_Vx to a V10 device like mine? There aren't new updates since 2017/08/18 for this first version :( Do you think that the next custom ROMs will be available also for our deprecated prototype-like infected smartphone?

Thank you! Alex
    PS: I've subscribed to this thread to stay tuned to all news about updating and rooting this potentially powerful but badly supported smartphone.

Well, at least from versions that I downloaded that are four; v01 (09/20), v04 (09/08), v07 (08/04) and v10 (08/18) any bricked my device, issue is that at time to flashing (I don´t remember wich) FlashTool gave me error (maybe different lenght of some partition) and I flashed through fastboot system and boot cause this files are most important, so I could flash all these versions, and one of them I received 2 otas in a few minutes. Yes, there are devs all around the world working in this device and normally I didn´t see any custom rom on any device before 6 months aprox. also there are a lot of devices that comes with similar specs like Leagoo S8 pro, Meizu pro7 (porting FlymeOs), Maze Alpha, Gionee A1 plus (porting a nice rom AmigoOs) and at least we can port from those but at moment there no sources to do much. This device has just two virus reported and like others brands have unfortunately its own bloatware but can be delete easily with a tool that I posted before. But for all that I read there is a batch, I think very early pre-sale that doesn´t include sensors of light and proximity (a hardware problem that can not be solved
    Unfortunately I have to agree with you for most of the things, except for camera. The resolution isn't fake (the second back camera is though, as on all Mediatek chinese devices) but the Mediatek Camera HAL is terrible thus even if there was a 21MP sensor for the back camera, the quality would not be much better. There is a lack of optimization for the camera software.

About LineageOS 15, you can forget about it for now. This MT6757 platform is relatively new so working on a open-source ROM, especially without any kernel source available, is almost impossible.

I'll work on a custom ROM for it soon, since I like this device and don't want that users keep using an infected ROM.

P.S.: add a "QUOTE" to your email's text to separate the rest from the post's main sentence.

Just for those who were waiting for my Custom ROM. I am facing serious difficulties in getting something usable on this device, the framework seems to have some sort of security barrier. I can modify anything via TWRP, but i can't install a pre-modded ROM (either in .zip format or system.img). Really odd. Maybe i will just provide a flashable patch to remove all the crap.
    Hello!

BLUBOO really lacks of support. This is the first and last smartphone bought by me from this unreliable Chinese brand! I have sent this e-mail to the official support, without reactions. Please, do the same to obtain updates and fixes! PLEASE, also ask an official custom ROM based on Lineage OS 15 (OREO) to become indipentent from this bad manifacturer.

"I'm an Italian tech blogger supporting your BLUBOO S1 from the beginning. I have bought it during Gearbest pre-sale "discount" (paid it 141€, more than 127€ today price!) and I have written a detailed POSITIVE review (until now) and recorded a video test on Youtube, with a link to buy it from Gearbest, here:

Bluboo S1 4G il phablet tri-bezel-less mid range che costa 1/4 rispetto a S8 e LG G6! http://www.microsmeta.com/dblog/articolo.asp?articolo=1426

More that 3600 users have already read it until now. I'm mostly happy of my choice, It has a nice 3-bezel-less form factor, P25 with 4 GB RAM is fast and runs smoothly. the 5.5 Sharp display is quite good (although it as a strange darker frame well visible with darker wallpapers see:
    ?t=6m15s ) and a decent battery.

BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF DEFECTS IN V10 VERSION.

1) AS YOU KNOW, there are malwares in ScrWeather, Phenix launcher and FreeTouch utility installed in ROM, so I cannot remove them! VERY OFTEN, while I open the browser, it redirect the link to more love the world or it opens a full screen banner and installs unwanted apps from Play Store.

2) Not standard USB TYPE C port. It needs a longer plug to charge battery. Very diffcult to find a replacement!

3) Same problem for USB TYPE C to 3.5 audio jack adapter. It do not fit well (especially with plastic cover)

4) My V10 device version completely lacks of proximity and light sensors. Update sensors.zip upgrade found in your forum doesn't fix the issue and the Youtube tutorial is in Chinese language and very difficult for average customers to understand.

5) FAKE secondary 3 MPIX back camera. The bokeh effect is badly generated by software.

6) Bad 1.2 Mpix (not 5 / 8 interpolated Mpix as stated on your blog) front camera

7) Bad 13 Mpix back camera. Probably it is the worse Sony sensor ever made. Really no comparable to iPhone7 Plus or P10 cameras examples, as shown in your blog. Decent shots only with very good lights. AutoFocus continuously TRY to get an images without blur during video recording (every 3 seconds!)

8) No more OTA updates since 18/08/2017 for V10

9) Absolutely no support from your team in your forum and blog, on Twitter or by email.
    I really hope that I will not need hardware support from you. If you want to grow as a respectable Chinese manifacturer you must assign resources to give feedback to your valuable customers!

10) The tempered glass cover is too small for the display and gives it a bad look, too!

PLEASE, SINCE I REALLY DOUBT THAT YOU WILL UPDATE THIS DEVICE TO OREO,
    RELEASE EASY INSTRUCTIONS TO SAFETY ROOT BLUBOO S1 TO REMOVE
    MALWARES AND ADWARES EVERY DAY DETECTED BY MALWAREBYTES AND DR.WEB SECURITY TOOLS!

I really hope to receive a feedback for this second email to you and, if you will fix malware and sensors I will continue to support your future smartphones that could be very interesting if you solve important problems. I will continue to search solutions to improve your software and possibly to install Lineage OS 15 (Oreo) and I will share my opinions on Bluboo smartphones as a known influencer on XDA and Italian tech blogs and forums on Disqus.

Best regards, Alex microsmeta.com

Unfortunately I have to agree with you for most of the things, except for camera. The resolution isn't fake (the second back camera is though, as on all Mediatek chinese devices) but the Mediatek Camera HAL is terrible thus even if there was a 21MP sensor for the back camera, the quality would not be much better. There is a lack of optimization for the camera software.

About LineageOS 15, you can forget about it for now. This MT6757 platform is relatively new so working on a open-source ROM, especially without any kernel source available, is almost impossible.

I'll work on a custom ROM for it soon, since I like this device and don't want that users keep using an infected ROM.

P.S.: add a "QUOTE" to your email's text to separate the rest from the post's main sentence.