Chuwi Hi8 Review, Unboxing, Root, FAQs, Accessories

Search This thread

pierg75

Does anyone have a original recovery dump?
Trying to get root I messed it up :p

Or better what is the way the restore the system from scratch?
I found some guides but none seem to work.
Do I really need a windows system to reinstall everything?

Thanks

Last edited:

Smaril

Jun 27, 2013
Lowell
Moto G Stylus
I recently bought the Hi8 and so far it's been a really nice device I just haven't been able to find a way to root it. I tried the instructions from the video but no dice.

The weird thing is I can't even seem to find it as a connected device in adb. I've tried manually installing several different device drivers but nothing has seemed to work.

Smaril

Jun 27, 2013
Lowell
Moto G Stylus
It's probably a driver issue (It works very well with adb and linux).
Try this...it seems to work.

Yeah I installed that driver but it still never showed up in adb even when I manually selected the driver for the device.

Luckily my work computer had an official Google adb driver that eventually worked after manually selecting the driver.

Also the first persons post is how I was able to finally root it. It took a couple of tries before it finally worked though and just a heads up part of it is in french in case anyone else is looking to root their Hi8.

pierg75

I just reinstalled android, rooted it and removed windows.
Like this it's a nice tablet, although there are some very annoying issues. The biggest for me it's the audio quality. I spend a great deal of time listening to music and I constantly hear audio clipping and noises.
Anyway considering how much I paid I'm pretty satisfied.

Malbec999

Oct 12, 2015
Hi. Has anyone had a problem to power Chuwi on? I just got mine and i have not been able to use it at all. I have held power button down over 20 SEC and also tried different combos. Nothing helps. Gearbest is not interested about the issue. I have found out that i am not alone with this problem. Can anyone suggest what i should try? Thanks and regards.

amihaita

Oct 8, 2015
I have succeeded to root my hi8 android 4.4.4 with kingo root and pdanet. This method is described on youtube, but can not post the link since I have not posted more than 10 times yet. Here is the id of the video: tA2YEMTYL2I

I recently bought the Hi8 and so far it's been a really nice device I just haven't been able to find a way to root it. I tried the instructions from the video but no dice.

The weird thing is I can't even seem to find it as a connected device in adb. I've tried manually installing several different device drivers but nothing has seemed to work.

Reactions: zvu

Smaril

Jun 27, 2013
Lowell
Moto G Stylus
I have succeeded to root my hi8 android 4.4.4 with kingo root and pdanet. This method is described on youtube, but can not post the link since I have not posted more than 10 times yet. Here is the id of the video: tA2YEMTYL2I

The first thing I tried doing was what the video says, using pdanet and kingoroot, but my device would never show up in kingoroot. However, the other method worked just fine once I found a usb driver that worked.

Last edited:

Ckomac

Oct 14, 2015
Windows only

Any idea how to get rid of android partitions? I just want to use Windows on this

Smaril

Jun 27, 2013
Lowell
Moto G Stylus
Any idea how to get rid of android partitions? I just want to use Windows on this
I'd think you'd be able to go into Disk Management on Windows and just format the android partition leaving the rest and resizing the windows one. The windows partition is NTFS so it shouldn't be to hard to resize without losing data. You'd also probably not ever want to try to boot into android if you tried it this way.

The other option would be to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and format the other partitions you don't need. However, I have read about people having trouble trying to activate windows 10 in some cases.

Also to warn you I haven't tried either of those so do with it whatever you want, but at your own risk, or If you want a step by step guide I would try looking in the forums here. Most of the Chuwi tablets in that forum have very similar hardware if not the same so a guide for another tablet might also work for the Hi8.

AlligatoR_94

Apr 6, 2015
Hello! I want you to help me guys. Which tab is better Chuwi hi8 or Chuwi vi8 (onda v820w the same)? Is it really cool screen on hi8? Is there big difference between 1280x800 and 1920x1200 on a 8 inch display? Want to use tab as a reader.

Smaril

Jun 27, 2013
Lowell
Moto G Stylus
there is a huge differenece between those 2 resolutions...With better resolution you will be able to read more hours.

That's not really true at all depends on how much power the screen requires to function and in some cases with a larger resolution screen it could require more power. It really depends on the power efficiency of the screen and what you plan on doing with your device.

If he only plans to use it as a reader I'd go with the Hi8 because the screen is a bit brighter and nicer than the Vi8. If he planned on playing games the Vi8 would have slightly better battery life and performance due to lower resolution but here's a comparison of the two tablets if you want more info.

gogeta84

Jul 19, 2010
Anyone have problem in Android when plug in the headphone? 99% of the time are recognized as an headset and youtube app play and stop frequently, like pressing PLAY/STOP button.
I have also disabled Google Voice Search because it self activate when the headphone is in the jack and cause the tablet unusable.
Playing in /system/etc/ asound.conf and audio_policy.conf with no luck.
There is a way to force to recognize the headphone as an headphone and not headset?

Now i forced to use bluetooth headphone to work correctly :(

zvu

Mar 16, 2012
Anyone have problem in Android when plug in the headphone? 99% of the time are recognized as an headset and youtube app play and stop frequently, like pressing PLAY/STOP button.
I have also disabled Google Voice Search because it self activate when the headphone is in the jack and cause the tablet unusable.
Playing in /system/etc/ asound.conf and audio_policy.conf with no luck.
There is a way to force to recognize the headphone as an headphone and not headset?

Now i forced to use bluetooth headphone to work correctly :(

Hi I have the same problem . :(
Has anyone found a solution ?

And under Windows 10 I can not adjust the screen brightness.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    oh that's so disappointing. I wonder why the tablet doesn't support it, when most android phones do. I guess I'll have to look for a different tablet, do you know if all these chinese dual boot tablets will have the same issue, or whether this is a specific quirk of the Hi8? thanks
    Try using StickMount
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1400034

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Quick question, I've seen a lot of videos of people playing Clash of Clans on the Android side of this tablet. But it's saying incompatible with my device so I can't install through the Play Store. Any thoughts?
    Get it from here https://m.apkpure.com/clash-of-clans/com.supercell.clashofclans

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk
    I just buy one, it is in offer. 83$ with coupon 5%.
    My unboxing video of the Chuwi Hi8 has been posted!
    I want to buy this, but I'm still waiting until the Roots and Custom Roms come in.

Spoke to dhl they said gearbest hasn't arranged collection yet. They also advised me gearbest setup a new tracking number on Wednesday evening., this time from Hong Kong instead of Singapore. As of right now they haven't arranged collection for that one either.

I would strongly advise against anyone buying these from gearbest right now. Something very underhanded is going on. They still insist it was shipped on Monday even when I presented them with the other tracking number. Telling me to wait another 3 to 7 days for it. I pad for 3 to 7 day shipping and it has been 7 days already and my package has not even left the warehouse.

Don't worry too much about it. I've purchased from Gearbest multiple times and they have never disappointed me. Well, except for the fact that it takes pretty long. I never got scammed from them. They shouldn't cause you any problem as long as you just forget about the shipping date, because it WILL take a while.
    Guys, im sorry to tell you that i havent found any info yet about that Android 6.0 port :(