FORUMS

[ROOT][FIRMWARE][BOOTLOADER][RECOVERY] RCA Viking Pro (RCT6303W87DK) One Stop Shop!

448 posts
Thanks Meter: 192

By smartmanvartan, Senior Member on 28th February 2016, 06:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

I am not responsible for anything that happens in your life. Including what happens as result of following steps in this thread.

Hello all. After a long journey here, we figured a new thread would be in order for new comers not to have to read through fifty pages of information. Here you will find firmware to fix or update your Viking Pro. You will also find root methods, bootloader unlock and custom recoveries for this tablet. Lets start with ROOT...

Method 1: Kingroot. Kingroot works on this device. you can find it here. It's pretty straight forward, just download and install the apk and root.

Method 1.5: SuperSu. Kingroot works but it's not the best root out there. once you have root, follow the instructions here and Kingroot will be replaced with SuperSu.

Method 2: Su flash-able ZIP. This method requires you to follow steps in posts No. 3 and 4. Once you have custom recovery installed, You can flash This.
This method is a bit redundant. However, it does allow you to make a completely stock unooted backup of your rom before making any changes.

Check out posts 2, 3, 4 & 5 for the good stuff.

I'm gonna go ahead and thank everyone responsible and If I forgot to mention you, please don't hesitate to tell me and I will correct the situation:
@Bogram (Edited the bootloader so it could be unlocked on x.12.x versions)
@Jacube22 (Duplicated the method from Bogram to make the bootloader on x.9.x versions unlockable)
@vampirefo (Compiled a compatible CWM recovery for us)
@ewilley2008 (Found most of the firmware)
@mayzemay (Initial root thread)
@NepoRood
@jerryvail35
@Sir Jaxxy
@Snigglez
@Spartan Legionnaire
@bobl61
@csla
@Chainfire (For root)
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to smartmanvartan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smartmanvartan Ad-Free
28th February 2016, 06:36 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

More
FIRMWARE
There are two main branches of development for this tablet. It is very important to know which one you have because they are incompatible with each other. I personally bricked my first one with firmware from a x.9.x while mine is x.12.x. How do you check? Simple. In your build number, you can find it in "About tablet" in Settings or in the text at the top of the recovery screen. It's at the end of the number and it will look like 1.12.30, 10.12.20, 2.12.20, 1.9.1, 1.9.5, 10.9.1...etc The number in the middle is the important one.

Steps(Windows): For step 2 you will have five seconds. Preloader mode is only active for five seconds. So read first!
1- Extract the drivers to the destktop and open the device manager.
2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug a male to male USB wire from the computer to the USB port on the tablet. now plug the power wire into the tablet. now very quickly in the device manager locate the new device and right click on it. select "update driver software" then select "browse my computer for driver software" and "browse". Now navigate to the driver folder, select the "CDC" folder and click on "OK" the "Next". The driver should install at this point. Once that is done, unplug the power cable from the tablet.
3- Extract the firmware and the sp flash tools to your desktop.
4- Start the sp flash tools and where it says scatter file loading click and navigate to the folder where you have the firmware and load the scatter file. You will see the firmware get loaded and a checksum check.
5- Once that is done, uncheck the preloader from the list and click on the download button.
6- Plug the power cable into your tablet. At this point the sp flash tool will load the firmware into the tablet. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING UNTIL THE SP FLASH TOOLS SHOWS YOU A GREEN CHECK MARK TO INDICATE THAT IT IS DONE OR YOUR TABLET COULD BE HARD BRICKED AND UNREPAIRABLE.
7- Press the reset button and turn it on. Done!

Drivers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4...ew?usp=sharing

SP Flash tools: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4...ew?usp=sharing

Firmware x.9.x:
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V37-V10.9.21-NFC-V2.3LA-20150820
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V32-1.9.1-20150409

Do not flash the preloader for the Surf1001 versions!!

Firrmware x.12.x:
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V77-V1.12.50-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20160316
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V70-V1.12.30-B-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20160121
SURF1001-ANDROID5.0-V11-V7.15.0_T8515B_V6.3_SAMSUNG2G_20151116 (Use method No.2 for root)
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V63-V10.12.0_T8515B_V6.3_PCDDR31G_20151106
SURF1001-ANDROID5.0-V07-V7.15.0_T8515B_V6.3_SAMSUNG2G_20151016
RCT6503W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V66-V20.12.20-B-Camera-2M_PCDDR_V6.3-20150928
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V63-V2.12.20-B-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20150811

Sources:
http://laurentiumihet.ro/technology/...test-versions/
http://www.needrom.com/download/mtk-...er-v5-1453-03/
http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=2...ategory/type=0
http://baiduyun.57fx.cn/so-result.ht...7DK&type=share
And Google of course...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to smartmanvartan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smartmanvartan Ad-Free
28th February 2016, 06:37 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

More
Bootloader
So the bootloader on this tablet is locked. To unlock the bootloader, in a perfect world, you would usually boot the tablet in fastboot and type the command "fastboot oem unlock" and then follow the instructions on the screen. However RCA did not code in the volume keys in fastboot mode so it was impossible to unlock the bootloader that way. So our friend Bogram edited the bootloader and now the volume keys are not needed. What swell guy eh?

Unlocking your phone’s bootloader completely wipes (formats) your Android phone’s internal memory including applications, contacts, SMS and MMS messages etc.

So what you need is a scatter file like this one and a patched bootloader like these: x.12.x or x.9.x .
You will also need ADB & Fastboot and the drivers.
1- Just like in the FIRMWARE section, install drivers and SP Flash Tools.
2- Open SP Flash Tools and load the scatter file and in the line where you see "uboot" on the right click in the blank field and a window will pop up. select the patched bootloader. Make sure it checked and click on the "Download" button.
3- Now plug the male to male USB cable and then plug in the power. SP flash tool will flash the bootloader and then show you a nice little green check mark.
4- At this point you need to unpack the adb folder from the RAR file and place it in the root of you hard drive(C: ) then open a command prompt and nvigate to you adb folder (cd c:\adb) and leave it there for just a second.
5- On your tablet unplug the power wire, hit the reset button in the back and boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding the volume up and power buttons together until the RCA splash screen comes up then release them.
6- In recovery, use the volume keys to navigate to "reboot to bootloader" and use the power button to select.
7- At this point your tablet will be in fastboot and your computer should detect it and install the driver. If not, the driver is in the "Android" folder in the driver files you extracted.
8- In your command prompt you left opened earlier, type "fastboot oem unlock".
9-Your tablet will do some magic, summon a demon, banish it to the depths of hell, reboot a couple of times and then it will have a unlocked bootloader.
10- Done. now you ca move on the next post and flash recovery.

Bogram also created a tool that patches the bootloader automatically should you have a different version we don't know about or what not...

Code:
RCA LittleKernel Unlock Patcher
By Bogram (http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=7182821)
Tested models:
RCA Viking Pro (RCT6303W87DK), RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK)
USE THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK, NO WARRANTY IS PROVIDED.
License: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html
Input file:
W:/HaxeToolkit/projects/patcher/lk.bin
Wrote to:
W:/HaxeToolkit/projects/patcher/lk_patched.bin
Press any key to exit.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4...ew?usp=sharing
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to smartmanvartan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smartmanvartan Ad-Free
28th February 2016, 06:37 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

More
RECOVERY
This section depends on a unlocked bootloader. If you did not unlock your bootloader in the previous post, do so before continuing to this one.
So what you need is a scatter file like this one and a recovery.

CWM + Carliv compiled by vampirefo: (x.9.x)Clockworkmod recovery (x.12.x)Clockworkmod recovery
TWRP V3.00 compiled by Neporood: (x.9.x)TWRP V3.00 recovery (x.12.x)TWRP V3.00 recovery(Coming soon)

- Open SP Flash tool and select the scatter file.
- in the recovery line, on the right side in the blank field, click and select your downloaded recovery.
- Click on the download button.
- Make sure your tablet is off, plug the USB cable first and then the power cable.
- SP Flash tool will flash the recovery and show you a lovely green check mark.
- Once that is done your recovery will be flashed.

** The stock system has a file in the system folder called "recovery-from-boot.p". this file flashes stock recovery randomly at boot so with a rooted system, navigate to the folder with a root capable explorer and delete the file so that your new recovery stays there.

** When rebooting from recovery, cwm will tell you to fix root. Don't. Select no every time.

For thos of you who want a file explorer in recovery, You can download this Aroma installer flashable
It's a nice tool to have...

Aroma comes from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1646108
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to smartmanvartan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smartmanvartan Ad-Free
28th February 2016, 06:39 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

More
ROMS
Not yet but soon.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smartmanvartan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smartmanvartan Ad-Free
28th February 2016, 09:26 PM |#6  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle
Thanks Meter: 3,795

Donate to Me
More
I'd swear I've seen all this somewhere before... lol

Good job, brother!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NepoRood For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NepoRood Ad-Free
29th February 2016, 03:01 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Now , let the roms...begin.....
The Following User Says Thank You to jerryvail35 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jerryvail35 Ad-Free
29th February 2016, 09:23 PM |#8  
Recognized Developer
Flag Outside Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 544

Donate to Me
More
woot ... just in time as I brought my Viking Pro home from Wallyworld Saturday night.

Any thoughts on ADB? I couldn't make it all the way through the other thread and eventually just gave up.... ended up figuring out Kingroot on my own and then just enabled ADB over wifi. Would much rather have a wired ADB solution as moving an APK (I'm a developer, duh) over wifi can be somewhat s-l-o-w.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Synman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2016, 02:17 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
Any plans to make a thread like this for the RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK)? It'd be really swell.

EDIT: Actually, with those sources you posted, I actually might be able to do this on my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to thevypr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thevypr Ad-Free
1st March 2016, 06:09 AM |#10  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle
Thanks Meter: 3,795

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevypr

Any plans to make a thread like this for the RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK)? It'd be really swell.

EDIT: Actually, with those sources you posted, I actually might be able to do this on my own.

I've got a Maven, and I've already done the porting. I'll be posting a guide tomorrow morning sometime. For now, I've sent you a PM with links to the firmware. Check your firmware version, mine is V36-1.9.21 (as long as you have the "9", you should be ok) The zip file has everything in it, preloader, scatter, custom recovery, etc...

Maven Guide is up, find it here
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NepoRood For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NepoRood Ad-Free
1st March 2016, 04:35 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synman

woot ... just in time as I brought my Viking Pro home from Wallyworld Saturday night.

Any thoughts on ADB? I couldn't make it all the way through the other thread and eventually just gave up.... ended up figuring out Kingroot on my own and then just enabled ADB over wifi. Would much rather have a wired ADB solution as moving an APK (I'm a developer, duh) over wifi can be somewhat s-l-o-w.

Still working on adb... Trying to make a flashable ROM with the fixes... No timeframe tho..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader, firmware, rca, recovery, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)