FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] The correct way to flash custom ROMs

117 posts
Thanks Meter: 40

By _Masked_, Senior Member on 3rd January 2019, 01:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Since a lot of people have had trouble flashing Custom ROMs, I decided to create a guide that should work on every device (whether A/B partition or not) except on Samsung devices. For bypassing Decryption Issues, adb sideload the .zip files.

GUIDE

I am assuming you have unlocked your Bootloader, flashed TWRP and have some knowledge on ADB.

[This is known as a clean install or clean flash]
  1. Turn off Lockscreen Security
  2. Reboot to Recovery
  3. Factory Reset
  4. Format Data
  5. Copy the .zip files from your PC to your phone / Plug in your USB OTG
  6. Flash the ROM and then the Recovery Installer (No Magisk/SuperSU after)
  7. Reboot to Recovery
  8. Flash GApps and Magisk/SuperSU
  9. Reboot to System

[This is known as a dirty flash]

To update the custom ROM or fix a error (Bootloop after successful first boot, No Service, etc.)

I am assuming you used my guide to flash the custom ROM

These are basically the same steps but without wiping or formatting data
  2. Reboot to Recovery
  3. Flash the ROM (has to be the same ROM, updated is recommended, older versions may cause issues) and then the Recovery Installer (No Magisk/SuperSU after)
  4. Reboot to Recovery
  5. Flash GApps and Magisk/SuperSU
  6. Reboot to System

LINKS:

Official GApps Website - GApps Github
Official TWRP Website - TWRP Github
Magisk Forum - Magisk Thread - Magisk Github
Official SuperSU Website - SuperSU Forum - SuperSU Thread - SuperSU Github

I recommend the Nano variant of GApps since I have had no error with it.

Enjoy!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to _Masked_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _Masked_ Ad-Free

3rd January 2019, 02:02 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag LA, CA, USA | Los Angeles, California, USA

Donate to Me
More
[Disabler-ONLY]
`This is basically the same guide just if you want to flash Zackptg5's "Universal DM-Verity, ForceEncrypt, Disk Quota Disablers" or any other disabler which requires different steps.

2. Reboot to Recovery
  3. Format Data
  4. Copy the .zip files from your PC to your phone / Plug in your USB OTG
  5. Flash the ROM and then the Recovery Installer (No Magisk after)
  6. Reboot to Recovery
  7. Flash the Disabler, Magisk and then GApps
  8. Reboot to System
  9. Profit

Dirty Flash? You can't. Usually when using a Disabler you have to clean install your custom ROM.

To update use the method in the first post but for step number 5 Flash the Disabler, Magisk and then GApps
7th January 2019, 03:03 AM |#3  
Flag San Pedro
Thanks Meter: 304

More
This is a bit much to do. Just use twinnfamous' twrp and you can flash a custom easily. Plus, I flash havoc over crdroid, then back and forth again. So you can flash over. Just have to wipe data and cache after ROM flash and twrp flash then reboot to recovery.

Basically:
Fastboot boot twrp (twinnfamous' 0.7)
Be on 9.0.7 firmware as most custom ROMs use this base right now I think..
Anyway, then flash twrp (twinnfamous' 0.7 installer zip)
Reboot to recovery
Now flash custom ROM
Flash twrp zip
Reboot to recovery
(You'll now be on the opposite slot as before, which means you are on the slot which your new custom ROM was installed)
Wipe > custom > data and cache wipe
Install opengapps nano and magisk 18.0
Reboot system

You'll boot right into the ROM setup screen with no decryption issues along the way as long as you do exactly as I said.

Have fun flashing!
7th January 2019, 02:35 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryor88

This is a bit much to do. Just use twinnfamous' twrp and you can flash a custom easily. Plus, I flash havoc over crdroid, then back and forth again. So you can flash over. Just have to wipe data and cache after ROM flash and twrp flash then reboot to recovery.

Basically:
Fastboot boot twrp (twinnfamous' 0.7)
Be on 9.0.7 firmware as most custom ROMs use this base right now I think..
Anyway, then flash twrp (twinnfamous' 0.7 installer zip)
Reboot to recovery
Now flash custom ROM
Flash twrp zip
Reboot to recovery
(You'll now be on the opposite slot as before, which means you are on the slot which your new custom ROM was installed)
Wipe > custom > data and cache wipe
Install opengapps nano and magisk 18.0
Reboot system

You'll boot right into the ROM setup screen with no decryption issues along the way as long as you do exactly as I said.

Have fun flashing!

You wasted that post just for this? I assure you that my tutorial guarantees success when using a official or unofficial version of TWRP or custom ROM, I also used the method you posted about but it did not work. Also what do you mean by "9.0.7"?
The GApps version you use doesn't have to be Nano and Magisk doesn't have to be v18.0. I'm sure you just copy-pasted this, my method should always succeed. The TWRP doesn't have to be from @twinnfamous , it can be from any developer. This is not a OnePlus 6T only guide.
7th January 2019, 03:13 PM |#5  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 184

More
This flashing process is difficult in my view. Why are you making the simple custom rom flashing process so difficult for the noobs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashwinrg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ashwinrg Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 11:14 PM |#6  
Flag San Pedro
Thanks Meter: 304

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Masked_

You wasted that post just for this? I assure you that my tutorial guarantees success when using a official or unofficial version of TWRP or custom ROM, I also used the method you posted about but it did not work. Also what do you mean by "9.0.7"?
The GApps version you use doesn't have to be Nano and Magisk doesn't have to be v18.0. I'm sure you just copy-pasted this, my method should always succeed. The TWRP doesn't have to be from @twinnfamous , it can be from any developer. This is not a OnePlus 6T only guide.

Why are you angry? Haha.

And you linked this from the op6t forums so I'm commenting on that phone. And that's how it's done on that phone. And it does matter which twrp you use for THAT phone because one doesn't decrypt correctly.

Copy and paste? No... And nano is always best if you read xda basically anywhere. Not that I said you HAVE to use nano anyway.. it was just in my steps. And that works for me with any/every ROM. So don't be so opposed to other suggestions. Your method is really weird and involves way too much use of a computer/fastboot. Kind of defeats the purpose of using twrp, don't you think?
8th January 2019, 05:49 AM |#7  
Flag Nor Cal
Thanks Meter: 257

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinrg

This flashing process is difficult in my view. Why are you making the simple custom rom flashing process so difficult for the noobs.

What is making it difficult is encryption/decryption not working right in twrp yet (just a guess). I was having a hell of a time getting anywhere myself and kept getting my storage all jumbled from encryption until I found this thread which put it together for me with the adb sideload part, that bypasses encryption or at least lets you flash what you want when the folder names get all wonky.

Thanks OP for laying it out so clearly for me, I am an old dinosaur that was hesitating on messing with this a/b nonsense until I got my 6T and got the itch again. My trusty dusty nexus 6 is so much easier but it's also been around and has one system and a solid twrp for it.

Cheers!
11th January 2019, 02:39 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderep

What is making it difficult is encryption/decryption not working right in twrp yet (just a guess). I was having a hell of a time getting anywhere myself and kept getting my storage all jumbled from encryption until I found this thread which put it together for me with the adb sideload part, that bypasses encryption or at least lets you flash what you want when the folder names get all wonky.

Thanks OP for laying it out so clearly for me, I am an old dinosaur that was hesitating on messing with this a/b nonsense until I got my 6T and got the itch again. My trusty dusty nexus 6 is so much easier but it's also been around and has one system and a solid twrp for it.

Cheers!

Sorry for the late reply, but yes this is for bypassing TWRP Decryption issues.
11th January 2019, 03:51 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 153

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Masked_

Since a lot of people have had trouble flashing Custom ROMs, I decided to create a guide that should work on every device (whether A/B partition or not) except on Samsung devices.

GUIDE

I am assuming you have unlocked your Bootloader, flashed TWRP and have some knowledge on ADB.

2. Reboot to Recovery
  3. Format Data (Wipe)
  4. Flash ROM and then the Recovery Installer (No Magisk after)
  5. Reboot to Recovery
  6. Go to Advanced, ADB Sideload then sideload GApps, the Recovery Installer and Magisk
  7. Reboot to System
  8. Profit

I recommend the Nano variant of GApps since I have had no error with it.

Enjoy

this step means need do with pc not by twrp
11th January 2019, 04:55 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayed78

this step means need do with pc not by twrp

This is to bypass Decryption issues.
12th January 2019, 01:54 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinrg

I mean I could make a tool for flashing a custom ROM but I'm sure that there's a tool for that already.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flash, guide, how-to, recovery, rom

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)