FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide][Video Tutorial] How to build Custom ROMs and Kernel Modification![P,O,N,M,L]

1,847 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,930
 
Post Reply Email Thread
7th January 2019, 05:02 PM |#1011  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJABHipHop

Simple open an check all your .sh and .mk file look for word like aosp, lineage, cm, rr, du, ETC... and file that are named with those word and replace them with omni that sould get your build started.

I am not sure I understand what you are suggesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

You are right. It finds the repo of shamu, but not an 8.1 branch.
You can check by going to the repo online:
https://github.com/omnirom/android_device_moto_shamu

Notice that the newest branch is 7.1.

So, is recommend you follow the tutorial, but use the mini twrp omni 7.1 branch.

The problem with building using the Omni 7.1 branch is that phones that were encrypted by an Android 8.0 installation or higher cannot be decrypted by TWRP. To work around this, I want to build TWRP using an 8.1 device tree. I am not sure that building with 8.1 would be of any value.
The Following User Says Thank You to David B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift David B. Ad-Free
 
 
7th January 2019, 05:30 PM |#1012  
widi aprianto's Avatar
Member
Flag Banjarnegara
Thanks Meter: 36
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucki1000

Maybe it's in the notification customizations, habe you look there?

None

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJABHipHop

Have you tried adding this to you device/board

Code:
# Torch
PRODUCT_PACKAGES += \
    Torch
or taking a look at /overlay/frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/res/values/config.xml for this
Exsample
Code:
    <string name="quick_settings_tiles_default" translatable="false">
        airplane,wifi,bt,cast,location,adb_network,rotation,battery,dnd
    </string>

    <!-- Tiles native to System UI. Order should match "quick_settings_tiles_default" -->
    <string name="quick_settings_tiles_stock" translatable="false">
airplane,wifi,bt,cast,location,adb_network,rotation,battery,dnd,usb_tether,inversion,saver,work,night,livedisplay,ambient_display,caffeine,heads_up,sync,volume_panel,profiles
    </string>
    <!-- The tiles to display in QuickSettings in retail mode -->
    <string name="quick_settings_tiles_retail_mode" translatable="false">
        airplane,wifi,bt,cast,location,rotation,battery,dnd
    </string>

Just add code in device/board?
The Following User Says Thank You to widi aprianto For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift widi aprianto Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 05:49 PM |#1013  
DJABHipHop's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 387
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by widi aprianto

None

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Have you tried adding this to you device/board

or taking a look at /overlay/frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/res/values/config.xml for this
Exsample

Just add code in device/board?

yes stick in all in yore device repo and always try to keep the board repo as generic as possible avoide other problem when adding other devices that use the same board as your device but do have the same Display, Camera,Sencore, or a Torch Hope this fixes your problem.
Sidenote the overlay xml & and folder structure I posted earler can also be used to remove unused quick setting toggle there for simplfing the ui and giving you a more oem experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJABHipHop For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJABHipHop Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 05:59 PM |#1014  
widi aprianto's Avatar
Member
Flag Banjarnegara
Thanks Meter: 36
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJABHipHop

yes stick in all in yore device repo and always try to keep the board repo as generic as possible avoide other problem when adding other devices that use the same board as your device but do have the same Display, Camera,Sencore, or a Torch Hope this fixes your problem.
Sidenote the overlay xml can also be used to remove unused quick setting toggle there for simplfing the ui and giving you a more oem type look.

Device/board not exist
The Following User Says Thank You to widi aprianto For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift widi aprianto Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 06:06 PM |#1015  
DJABHipHop's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 387
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by widi aprianto

Device/board not exist

Sorry but I meant to say device or board repo, But the overlay goes on your device folder with the exact folder structure I posted earlier and torch goes in device folder board make or your devices board folder board make but that all depending on how your device tree is setup.

also have a look in /frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/res/values/config.xml in your LineageOS folder or whatever folder you rom & device source are stored as you may want to see all the available quick setting toggle, you may also want edit my config.xml as my it will work on your device but may not have the all quick setting toggle in the order you want or necessary quick setting toggle visible for your device specification as my config.xml is setup of a device without no torch, nfc and some other thing. Hope this helps you out.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJABHipHop For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJABHipHop Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 07:02 PM |#1016  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 172
 
More
There's a kernel for oreo rom for onyx i want to use it for building pie rom. What specific kernel source changes do we need to make it compatible for pie rom
Thanks for the help in advance
The Following User Says Thank You to kush57 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kush57 Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 07:25 PM |#1017  
Member
Thanks Meter: 105
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

Well done. A good step getting to the boot animation.
Now you need logcat or tombstones to see the next problem. If you get into adb shell, while booting you can run this from your computer:

$ adb shell mount |tee mymounts.text

Which will make a text file on your computer that should have a list of mounted partitions. Is every important thing there?



Pstore is "persistent storage" a defined kernel option to save small amounts of data with the kernel.

Also I fully recommend that no developer flash gapps until they are done fixing everything they want to fix in a ROM. Once you flash gapps, SuperSU, magisk, closed, or anything to the ROM, you change the parameters and the environment. So you should always troubleshoot before flashing anything else.

I'm glad you corrected me on pstore.

I managed to get a logcat (tombstones are not available). I searched for the keywords error, failed, failure. Exception is also a very good search term. Probably the most noticeable error can be found under "BOOT FAILURE" (android.security.IKeystoreService). According to my research it has something to do with Android's credential storage. Somewhere it was recommended to remove the keystore.msm8953.so, that didn't bring me any success.

The other matches about exceptions also seem important to me (otherwise there are some errors about camera and very often avc: denied occurs).

Here is the whole log, some things are repeated frequently, I have no knowledge how to get good logcats.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/VFFCCW96hx/

Thanks already.
The Following User Says Thank You to LumenReaper For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LumenReaper Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 07:44 PM |#1018  
DJABHipHop's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 387
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumenReaper

I'm glad you corrected me on pstore.

I managed to get a logcat (tombstones are not available). I searched for the keywords error, failed, failure. Exception is also a very good search term. Probably the most noticeable error can be found under "BOOT FAILURE" (android.security.IKeystoreService). According to my research it has something to do with Android's credential storage. Somewhere it was recommended to remove the keystore.msm8953.so, that didn't bring me any success.

The other matches about exceptions also seem important to me (otherwise there are some errors about camera and very often avc: denied occurs).

Here is the whole log, some things are repeated frequently, I have no knowledge how to get good logcats.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/VFFCCW96hx/

Thanks already.

Try this for clean logcats.
Code:
All =  adb logcat >> Locat.txt
Debug =  adb logcat *:D >> Debug\ Logcat.txt
Info =  adb logcat *:I >> Info\ Logcat.txt
Warning =  adb logcat *:W  >>Warning\ Logcat.txt
Error =  adb logcat *:E  >> Error\ Logcat.txt
Fatal =  adb logcat *:F  >> Fatal\ Logcat.txt
Use everything after the equal sign.
Hope this helps you out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJABHipHop For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJABHipHop Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 10:08 PM |#1019  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

That is why I made these videos and this thread. About 4 years ago I rated this journey and received very little help, until I meet bubor and steadfasterx. Even then it was an uphill battle.

So, I put this together to answer all of those questions.

So, have you watched this playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wZ&app=desktop

It is not HD video. And people complain and complain about the low quality, but it is very informative and answers all of your questions if you watch it in order from start to finish.

And a bonus for you: I use the shamu as my example for the entire lollipop portion. You could literally build alongside me in the video series.

I'm starting to watch the series right now. I've downloaded the vendor file off the Muppets for cm14.1 branch because I'm trying to build twrp Omni 7.1 if I get that built Ill try 8 or 9. I really guess I need to learn how to use the Google binaries and vendor files I downloaded 7.1.1 files look inside it's a extract moto shamu.sh. How do I use that? Also the final piece of the puzzle is kernel source I've read you need it and you don't any input? I'm going to continue to watch the rest of your videos and search Google. The Muppets vendor file I changed the name and put them in my twrp folder.

Edit I figured out how to extract the Google package with vendor files. You open terminal and and type a command and run the shell. I also found yes you do need a kernel because the recovery and rom both have kernel that way the recovery can boot if you screw up your system. Now then the question is what kernel do you use? Do I use stock 7.1 cause I can't find source for that or do I use Franco or ElementalX or something for nougat?
The Following User Says Thank You to Techguy777 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Techguy777 Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 11:01 PM |#1020  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
SD Card Booting
@AlaskaLinuxUser

Thanks for your time.

Just to be sure, "Busybox" will mount all necessary partition on sdcard, change that I need to make on the "ramdisk" scripts after extracted the boot.img from my build.

3 questions if I may;

1. Isn't there a way to make those change before building my AOSP code, considering I will anyways build the code?
2. Correct me if I am wrong, but I will still need the boot.img on my physical HDD in the phone, to mount all partition on sdcard. Isn't there a way to boot directly from other drive than the one on the phone?
2.5 So, if I can't change the heart of phone booting sequence, do you think I can remove all other partition from (except from boot.img and recovery.img) then keep booting on the sdcard?
3. Or, is there a way to make a "if.... else" statement in the init script to check "IF there is a sdcard... mount the sdcard... ELSE mount the HDD normally"

Thanks again for your time, I appreciate.
The Following User Says Thank You to mafianet For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mafianet Ad-Free
8th January 2019, 04:31 AM |#1021  
widi aprianto's Avatar
Member
Flag Banjarnegara
Thanks Meter: 36
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJABHipHop

Sorry but I meant to say device or board repo, But the overlay goes on your device folder with the exact folder structure I posted earlier and torch goes in device folder board make or your devices board folder board make but that all depending on how your device tree is setup.

also have a look in /frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/res/values/config.xml in your LineageOS folder or whatever folder you rom & device source are stored as you may want to see all the available quick setting toggle, you may also want edit my config.xml as my it will work on your device but may not have the all quick setting toggle in the order you want or necessary quick setting toggle visible for your device specification as my config.xml is setup of a device without no torch, nfc and some other thing. Hope this helps you out.

ok. now how to generate kernel config/defconfig?
The Following User Says Thank You to widi aprianto For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift widi aprianto Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
compile, guide, kernel, rom, video

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes