FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide][Video Tutorial] How to build Custom ROMs and Kernel Modification![P,O,N,M,L]

1,824 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,890

Post Reply Email Thread
11th July 2018, 06:40 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Nice
The Following User Says Thank You to Arslan140 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Arslan140 Ad-Free

11th July 2018, 06:42 PM |#22  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodoGTA

@AlaskaLinuxUser The narration is too quiet in your videos

Thanks, I'll have to work on that. I made a lot of these videos at night or early morning while my children were sleeping.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
11th July 2018, 07:18 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
It would be great if you added a guide for replacing the prebuilt Linux toolchain in lineage based roms with another one such as Linaro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KnightRider2008 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KnightRider2008 Ad-Free
11th July 2018, 07:37 PM |#24  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider2008

It would be great if you added a guide for replacing the prebuilt Linux toolchain in lineage based roms with another one such as Linaro

Great question! Have you watched the "toolchains" video under section 1.4 Information? I'm using SlimRoms in that video, but it will be located in the same place on CM/LineageOS/etc. The big key is editing your buildConfig.mk/buildCommonConfig.mk file to point to the new cross compiler, which is the toolchain. Here is the example code from the file I used in the toolchain video:

Code:
# Kernel
BOARD_KERNEL_CMDLINE := androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 zcache msm_rtb.filter=0x3F ehci-hcd.park=3 androidboot.bootdevice=msm_sdcc.1
BOARD_KERNEL_BASE := 0x80200000
BOARD_MKBOOTIMG_ARGS := --ramdisk_offset 0x02000000
BOARD_KERNEL_PAGESIZE := 2048
TARGET_KERNEL_CONFIG := cyanogen_jf_defconfig
TARGET_KERNEL_SOURCE := kernel/samsung/jf
# TARGET_KERNEL_CONFIG := aklu_jf_defconfig
# TARGET_KERNEL_SOURCE := kernel/samsung/jf-aklu

# Use Linaro toolchain instead # TARGET_KERNEL_CROSS_COMPILE_PREFIX := arm-linux-androideabi-
# linaro 
TARGET_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TOOLCHAIN := linaro-4.7-12.10/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-
Notice that the # pound sign is used to comment out the old line, and then the TARGET_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TOOLCHAIN := linaro-4.7-12.10/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf- points the compiler to the new toolchain that I downloaded and put in the folder.

Hope that helps!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
11th July 2018, 08:20 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I've just seen this now on XDA Labs, so haven't had time to check out the videos, but WOW, 🙏. What you have done is really appreciated buy those of us who will be using your material to learn to enjoy our devices more.

You are empowering us, thank you very much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taife32 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift taife32 Ad-Free
11th July 2018, 08:32 PM |#26  
Flag Anchorage
Thanks Meter: 20,885

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by taife32

I've just seen this now on XDA Labs, so haven't had time to check out the videos, but WOW, 🙏. What you have done is really appreciated buy those of us who will be using your material to learn to enjoy our devices more.

You are empowering us, thank you very much.

Praise it after you use it. Doing it before is just brown nosing and pointless.
The Following User Says Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zelendel Ad-Free
11th July 2018, 09:12 PM |#27  
Flag Mississauga
Thanks Meter: 106

Donate to Me
More
Holy **** thank you so much I've been waiting for something like this tyyyy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NateDev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NateDev Ad-Free
11th July 2018, 10:37 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

Great question! Have you watched the "toolchains" video under section 1.4 Information? I'm using SlimRoms in that video, but it will be located in the same place on CM/LineageOS/etc. The big key is editing your buildConfig.mk/buildCommonConfig.mk file to point to the new cross compiler, which is the toolchain. Here is the example code from the file I used in the toolchain video:

Code:
# Kernel
BOARD_KERNEL_CMDLINE := androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 zcache msm_rtb.filter=0x3F ehci-hcd.park=3 androidboot.bootdevice=msm_sdcc.1
BOARD_KERNEL_BASE := 0x80200000
BOARD_MKBOOTIMG_ARGS := --ramdisk_offset 0x02000000
BOARD_KERNEL_PAGESIZE := 2048
TARGET_KERNEL_CONFIG := cyanogen_jf_defconfig
TARGET_KERNEL_SOURCE := kernel/samsung/jf
# TARGET_KERNEL_CONFIG := aklu_jf_defconfig
# TARGET_KERNEL_SOURCE := kernel/samsung/jf-aklu

# Use Linaro toolchain instead # TARGET_KERNEL_CROSS_COMPILE_PREFIX := arm-linux-androideabi-
# linaro 
TARGET_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TOOLCHAIN := linaro-4.7-12.10/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-
Notice that the # pound sign is used to comment out the old line, and then the TARGET_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TOOLCHAIN := linaro-4.7-12.10/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf- points the compiler to the new toolchain that I downloaded and put in the folder.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I'll check it out 🙂
The Following User Says Thank You to KnightRider2008 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KnightRider2008 Ad-Free
11th July 2018, 10:51 PM |#29  
Flag Lagos
Thanks Meter: 33

Donate to Me
More
In what other can I say a "special" thank you?
This marvelous! Got the news from labs, queued downloads.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwapking For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dwapking Ad-Free
11th July 2018, 10:56 PM |#30  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Hey everybody!

Thanks for the positive feedback, I didn't know if anyone would find this useful. I do hope that these videos will help you get started with compiling your own custom roms!
Just an FYI - I have started uploading the videos to Youtube as well. I personally recommend you download them from GitLab, as you will not have to contend with advertisements, etc., but if Youtube is your preferred method, they will all be uploaded over the next couple of days. You can check the OP (post #1) for the link!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 01:05 AM |#31  
Flag Mississauga
Thanks Meter: 106

Donate to Me
More
Hi, great that your doing this to help people including myself out!

Have you recorded these already, or are you still going? Because the 480p resolution makes it really hard to see what's going on in the video, not to mind the fact that it's letterboxed on all 4 sides so it doesn't even fill the whole screen.

It's pretty unpleasant to watch in this state, but I understand you obviously can't change it now without rerecording if you've already done the whole series. Just would be something to keep in mind for any future videos you might make for this series. (If you are going to)

But overall I really like the content. A video suggestion wouldbe could you focus on adding Android source folders to github (like for example packages/apps/Settings ) and creating a repo manifest so someone could use this to make their own ROM, and then allow others to build it like LineageOS has? And maybe how to merge in security patches and even new versions of Android, but that might be too extensive of a topic.

Thanks, Nate
The Following User Says Thank You to NateDev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NateDev Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
compile, guide, kernel, rom, video

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)