FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide][Video Tutorial] How to build Custom ROMs and Kernel Modification![P,O,N,M,L]

1,838 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,921

Post Reply Email Thread
12th July 2018, 01:05 AM |#31  
Flag Mississauga
Thanks Meter: 106

Donate to Me
More
Hi, great that your doing this to help people including myself out!

Have you recorded these already, or are you still going? Because the 480p resolution makes it really hard to see what's going on in the video, not to mind the fact that it's letterboxed on all 4 sides so it doesn't even fill the whole screen.

It's pretty unpleasant to watch in this state, but I understand you obviously can't change it now without rerecording if you've already done the whole series. Just would be something to keep in mind for any future videos you might make for this series. (If you are going to)

But overall I really like the content. A video suggestion wouldbe could you focus on adding Android source folders to github (like for example packages/apps/Settings ) and creating a repo manifest so someone could use this to make their own ROM, and then allow others to build it like LineageOS has? And maybe how to merge in security patches and even new versions of Android, but that might be too extensive of a topic.

Thanks, Nate
The Following User Says Thank You to NateDev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NateDev Ad-Free

12th July 2018, 07:02 AM |#32  
Flag hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 9

More
If possible make a tutorial on building TWRP for devices.
Thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preethamkmr3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift preethamkmr3 Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 07:07 AM |#33  
Flag Hanoi
Thanks Meter: 296

Donate to Me
More
Hi, thank you for creating a very detail guide like this.
I was able to build LineageOS Nougat ROM based on another device tree with the same SoC when I try to boot after installing ROM it keeps rebooting without entering to Android boot progress. Can you help me?
The Following User Says Thank You to hiimpig1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hiimpig1 Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 08:38 AM |#34  
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Just when i was trying to begin my own rom development, you gave me this huge boost. Thanks a lot
The Following User Says Thank You to sandeepkumar0153 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandeepkumar0153 Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 09:46 AM |#35  
Flag フェアリーテイル
Thanks Meter: 3,135

Donate to Me
More
@AlaskaLinuxUser: It's really nice to see that you're sharing your knowledge with others here too. Thank you for that! I'm sure that a lot of people will benefit from your tutorials. I've rated the thread 5 stars and subscribed to it. Probably I'll add it to my signature too if I'm not at that text limit. By the way, hopefully you haven't forgotten me xD. Well, I assume you didn't since you've mentioned the J5 at your bio hehe. You've been so nice and helpful to me back then!

Some advanced tutorials could be about enforcing selinux, finding the kernel CAF tag which is closest to stock one, merging the stock kernel source into the CAF one and so on. I've done those before and that's why I've mentioned them. It's something which everyone will have to do or at least should do it. While for enforcing selinux there's some documentation here and there, there's no documentation about how to find the closest kernel CAF tag to stock or how to merge the stock one into the CAF one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

There's much more "advanced stuff" to talk about, stuff about which I lack knowledge. For example, now I need to figure out which is the closest CAF tag for camera HAL, so I can test it on LOS 14 and once it would be working, I can test it on LOS 15 (where I'm stuck with the stock camera error(s) ). Again, there's no documentation about how to find the closest CAF tag for camera HAL, but I've got the answer on reddit (/r/LineageOS) and further tips / help on Lineage's Slack.

I remember this thread where everyone contributed and shared their knowledge. Would be really nice if this thread will turn like that too, where everyone share their knowledge. Unfortunately, I can't record videos because I have a slow PC and my English sux when I'm speaking. I'd rather contribute by writing. Perhaps you could make videos if someone contributes with a written tutorial?

As a side note, I think I could say that Android ROM development means to do a lot of research on your own to find how to do something or how to fix something. Understanding how things works in Android and kernel is another thing which should be learnt / known (which I lack myself as of now) and knowing C/C++ is a big advantage (I lack it too) so you can understand what the code does. Sometimes it can get really frustrating, but if you stick to it and don't give up, you'll eventually fix the bug you're working on or figure out what you've needed to. When that moment happens, you'll feel great. Obviously, i've experienced both feelings before, like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDev

And maybe how to merge in security patches.

Check this post on @AlaskaLinuxUser's blog: How to manually update your custom rom source code with security updates. Probably he'll make a video about it too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to #Henkate For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift #Henkate Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 11:06 AM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Thanks a lot for this.
The Following User Says Thank You to suraj-b For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift suraj-b Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 03:55 PM |#37  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDev

Hi, great that your doing this to help people including myself out!

Have you recorded these already, or are you still going? Because the 480p resolution makes it really hard to see what's going on in the video, not to mind the fact that it's letterboxed on all 4 sides so it doesn't even fill the whole screen.

It's pretty unpleasant to watch in this state, but I understand you obviously can't change it now without rerecording if you've already done the whole series. Just would be something to keep in mind for any future videos you might make for this series. (If you are going to)

But overall I really like the content. A video suggestion wouldbe could you focus on adding Android source folders to github (like for example packages/apps/Settings ) and creating a repo manifest so someone could use this to make their own ROM, and then allow others to build it like LineageOS has? And maybe how to merge in security patches and even new versions of Android, but that might be too extensive of a topic.

Thanks, Nate

Nate,
Thanks for the feedback. I have updated post #3 (Notes) with a note about the video quality being a bit poor. I apologize that it isn't a little better, but with my slow internet, keeping the video quality down did help me a lot. Also, several of the recordings were done over Xvnc, which causes the lag and general poorer quality. I actually recorded these videos 5-8 months ago. I then shelved the project, and recently decided to go ahead and post it anyways.

There is lots of room for more videos, but I'm not sure how many I will make. For every 30 minutes of video, there is about 2+ hours of prep and work that goes into them, probably because of my poor video skill level. There are actually a few more videos that I didn't upload to the series, for one reason or another. Hopefully what is available is able to meet the need of teaching new developers how to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preethamkmr3

If possible make a tutorial on building TWRP for devices.
Thank you.

That was one thing I did hope to add to the video series, was building TWRP or other custom recoveries. No promises, but I am still looking at doing a video or two on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Henkate

@AlaskaLinuxUser: ...By the way, hopefully you haven't forgotten me xD....

Can't forget! Working with you was great! And thanks for pointing a few things out. I'm not sure, that might entail a more advanced video series, maybe a collaborative effort. My CAF skills are a bit weak.

Anyone is welcome to make some more videos, though! And I'll look into some of these really good suggestions! Thanks everyone for the great feedback!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 05:23 PM |#38  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that all 8 hours of the video series are up on the Youtube playlist (link in OP). Please keep in mind that the Youtube is lower quality than the videos in the download links in the OP. I just viewed several of the videos, and it is much harder to read what I am typing in the Youtube video, whereas, while the quality is a bit poor, I can easily read my typing in the videos that you can download.

Thanks for all the great feedback!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 05:47 PM |#39  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 3

Donate to Me
More
@AlaskaLinuxUser Excellent videos and collection! If I can cook ROMs someday, all credits shall go to you and your hard work which you shared with us in form of videos. I know you work on free time. Still could I ask some video tutorial rather from your side about building TWRP recovery? That would be a lot more help. Greets and kudos!!
The Following User Says Thank You to SoapDev2018 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SoapDev2018 Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 10:02 PM |#40  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Thanks mate! Searching for these kind of resource! And finally got it!
The Following User Says Thank You to ProttoyX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ProttoyX Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 10:33 PM |#41  
Flag Narayanganj
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Awesome
Thanks For Video Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to YeQais For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift YeQais Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
compile, guide, kernel, rom, video

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)