FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide][Video Tutorial] How to build Custom ROMs and Kernel Modification![P,O,N,M,L]

1,847 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,930

Post Reply Email Thread
18th October 2018, 07:03 AM |#421  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

Welcome to the thread!

Great! Glad you want to start building. I recommend that you watch this video series that I made:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QnnXDg1G4X1f6z

Then I recommend that you download LineageOS 14.1 (Nougat), and build for your device. You can find your device trees here:
https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8953/an...ung_c7proltedd
https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8953/an...7prolte-common
https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8953

That last link has your vendor and kernel files.
Notice that in the videos, the first 7 videos are specific to downloading, setting up, and building Nougat. Then video 9 will help you add your devices to the local manifest.

@aapav01 Built this device tree already, so it should build good for you. You can slap his thanks button in his thread here, for all of his hard work:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...7-pro-t3803492

Then, once you have got a working Nougat build, you can work on Oreo, and perhaps Pie. I do have videos for upgrading a device from one version to another, as well, and it looks like aapav01 has started some lineageOS 15.1 builds as well.

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction! Let me know if you have more questions.

Hi

Is it possible to start afresh without using any existing device tree?
I mean is it possible to compile TWRP recovery and Lineage OS ROM from Lineage OS'/TWRP's source code and Device's source code(includes vendor files from Samsung) ?

Also the second video of the playlist builds the ROM for "jfltexx" for which the tree already exists.
What if the tree doesn't exist, or if I want to build for a completely new device(port a new device to LineageOS)?

Regards
Kumar Abhishek
The Following User Says Thank You to mail.kumar.2309 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mail.kumar.2309 Ad-Free

18th October 2018, 08:04 AM |#422  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
I want to delete some apps (like email, wallpaper) from custom rom zip before flashing through TWRP. How can I do it?
My Device: MI A1
ROM: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-...mi-mi-t3766990
Thank you in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to nextheart For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nextheart Ad-Free
18th October 2018, 10:09 AM |#423  
Thanks Meter: 216

More
Hey, AKLU, I asked about media codecs issue, i just simply added TARGET_ADDITIONAL_GRALLOC_10_USAGE_BITS := 0x02000000
to BroadConfig and now everything is working fine
The Following User Says Thank You to IvanHephaestus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IvanHephaestus Ad-Free
18th October 2018, 12:49 PM |#424  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.kumar.2309

Hi

I mean is it possible to compile TWRP recovery and Lineage OS ROM from Lineage OS'/TWRP's source code and Device's source code(includes vendor files from Samsung) ?

Also the second video of the playlist builds the ROM for "jfltexx" for which the tree already exists.
What if the tree doesn't exist, or if I want to build for a completely new device(port a new device to LineageOS)?

Regards
Kumar Abhishek

Absolutely! In the op, there is a link to the advanced building thread, where I build a device tree from scratch for a BLU phone, the life one x2. Or on my YouTube channel, watch the playlist called " creating a device tree from scratch".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextheart

I want to delete some apps (like email, wallpaper) from custom rom zip before flashing through TWRP. How can I do it?
My Device: MI A1
ROM: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-...mi-mi-t3766990
Thank you in advance.

Great question, the best way to do that is by compiling it yourself, and removing the app you don't want from the build. That is what this thread is all about. Most ROMs now have a system image rather than individual files, but here on XDA are several threads on how to unpack that image, edit, and repack it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanGeFesT

Hey, AKLU, I asked about media codecs issue, i just simply added TARGET_ADDITIONAL_GRALLOC_10_USAGE_BITS := 0x02000000
to BroadConfig and now everything is working fine

Great work! I'm glad someone could help you! I'm sure that you thanked them for their time. Way to go! And thanks for coming back to share that with me, as I did not know the answer, but now, we do! That's how XDA should work!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
18th October 2018, 12:55 PM |#425  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.kumar.2309

Hi

Regards
Kumar Abhishek

As I mentioned in the previous post, I have an entire series about building a device tree from scratch, but your other question was about adding a tree that existed, but was not on the list....

As you watch through the series, you will see for Oreo that I add a device tree through local manifest files. This concept can be used for any android version.

In the old non HD series, I also edit a lineage tree to use it on aokp. Which may be helpful to you as well.
18th October 2018, 11:43 PM |#426  
Thanks Meter: 387

More
Quote:

As I mentioned in the previous post, I have an entire series about building a device tree from scratch, but your other question was about adding a tree that existed, but was not on the list....

As you watch through the series, you will see for Oreo that I add a device tree through local manifest files. This concept can be used for any android version.

In the old non HD series, I also edit a lineage tree to use it on aokp. Which may be helpful to you as well.

Would this apply to aosp as well AKS using a LineageOS device tree to build AOSP
The Following User Says Thank You to DJABHipHop For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJABHipHop Ad-Free
19th October 2018, 05:15 AM |#427  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJABHipHop

Would this apply to aosp as well AKS using a LineageOS device tree to build AOSP

Yes, all of these videos show principles that you can use in different situations.

Side note, in my opinion, building aosp and omnirom are the hardest ROMs to build by converting from something else. For what it is worth.
19th October 2018, 09:25 PM |#428  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
it possible to build LOS15.1 with android 8.0 kernel source?
The Following User Says Thank You to n.pikota For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift n.pikota Ad-Free
20th October 2018, 01:09 AM |#429  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.pikota

it possible to build LOS15.1 with android 8.0 kernel source?

Yes, it is. Do you have a more specific scenario in mind?
20th October 2018, 04:08 AM |#430  
Thanks Meter: 387

More
how would add the opengapps to my rom there included every time i build any my device
The Following User Says Thank You to DJABHipHop For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJABHipHop Ad-Free
20th October 2018, 04:12 AM |#431  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:

Yes, it is. Do you have a more specific scenario in mind?

thanks for answering. I ask if you do not have to change the kernel source code. Because the kernel is android 8.0 and LOS15 is android 8.1
The Following User Says Thank You to n.pikota For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift n.pikota Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
compile, guide, kernel, rom, video

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)