[GUIDE] How to enter developer mode on 2017 Honda Civic (and now root & install apps)

Search This thread

MistaC4

Dec 25, 2013
finally had time to do the hondahack + install viper4android, here's just a short summary:

hondahack took me 6mins until it was installed (via browser).

for viper4android you need (install it in the following order):

- supersu apk: just for whitelisting apps (hondahack did the rooting)
- busybox apk (stericson version): i tried it without busybox, but viper4android is complaining then -> busybox is needed. dont forget to open busybox and click install.
- viper4android from http://www.autohack.org/apk/

after installing viper4android, it asked me to install the driver. did that and rebooted.
then i went to the viper settings and set "lock effect mode" to headset. after that you have to edit your settings in the headset tab.

Does your eq setup stay persistent regardless of bluetooth,xm radio, regular radio, android auto etc and can you still use the factory eq to mess with the sub settings? if so then I will definitely install the honda hack on my head unit to clean up the sound and the disappointing eq setup from factory

Last edited:

Notor1ouS-

Aug 20, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Does your eq setup stay persistent regardless of bluetooth,xm radio, regular radio, android auto etc and can you still use the factory eq to mess with the sub settings? if so then I will definitely install the honda hack on my head unit to clean up the sound and the disappointing eq setup from factory

i didnt do much testing due to time limitations (will test more tomorrow). but i tested bluetooth and music via usb-stick, both worked.
i also was able to use the default eq together with viper4android.
so you have indeed two equalizers (default + viper). viper wont replace the default-honda eq.

theres also a bass boost setting on viper, which can boost certain frequencies between 0-100hz (selectable).
this really helps the massive bass-cut-off.

Last edited:
Reactions: MistaC4

MistaC4

Dec 25, 2013
i didnt do much testing due to time limitations (will test more tomorrow). but i tested bluetooth and music via usb-stick, both worked.
i also was able to use the default eq together with viper4android.
so you have indeed two equalizers (default + viper). viper wont replace the default-honda eq.

theres also a bass boost setting on viper, which can boost certain frequencies between 0-100hz (selectable).
this really helps the massive bass-cut-off.

Good too hear probably gonna root mine tonight and mess around with it, and any news on having the eq persistent through all of the different "channels" of xm, Bluetooth and regular radio etc? I can't rember if I saw a post that someone had issues with xm radio and viper

Last edited:

Toilet Paper

Mar 5, 2018
I noticed an issue.
I have a USB flash drive inserted into the car USB port (where the cup holder are). I set Spotify to store its cache and downloads there as the HH is limited in storage.
Sadly, every monirning, I notice t-hat Spotify looses the storage setting set, and reverts back using the device internal storage, and I need to switch it back. Seems random. Many times it is fine, and rememebrs the USB flash drive.

Last edited:

zahurkho

Mar 10, 2017
Montreal
CoPilot GPS

Hi Friend,

The latest news I have bought CoPilot GPS for mySamsung S8 Phone Android for 2 $ with lifetime Maps.

Installed it on my Honda Civic 2016 an activation with the same email account, all works well.

Much cheaper, automatic MAPS update when I was in my garage with my Home WIFI am so happy with that.

Anyone need the APK, let me know.

Regards
Zahur
Montré**al Canada

Dont forget to thanks **

MistaC4

Dec 25, 2013
i tested Android Auto meanwhile and viper also works there. i guess you wont have any problems on other sources.

theres also a newer viper version, but unofficial version:
https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.pittvandewitt.viperfx

i didnt test that one, but it seems to have slightly different UI. its using the same viper driver like the old official one.
Well went ahead and installed the Honda hack on my headunit everything went smoothly, noticed if you killed viper application process with task manager it would turn off the eq effects and would return when reopened, and does this Honda hack automatically enable the "flat eq" output script because even without viper there is a ton more bass and it seems that xm radio dosent seem to change the audio sound with viper but everyother audio source it does, side note anyone tried to flash zip files like audio mods like Dolby Atmos etc? I know we don't have access to recovery yet but I'm sure there are applications that can flash zips without recovery.

tdiman

Jun 30, 2010
Dedham, MA
Well went ahead and installed the Honda hack on my headunit everything went smoothly, noticed if you killed viper application process with task manager it would turn off the eq effects and would return when reopened, and does this Honda hack automatically enable the "flat eq" output script because even without viper there is a ton more bass and it seems that xm radio dosent seem to change the audio sound with viper but everyother audio source it does, side note anyone tried to flash zip files like audio mods like Dolby Atmos etc? L

I'm not sure how many questions, if any, are in this sentence.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: btonetbone

Notor1ouS-

Aug 20, 2010
Google Pixel 6
interesting!
iam not using xm-radio, since streaming is nearly impossible in germany (bad mobile internet + phone contracts with limited data traffic everywhere).

there's a dspflat apk somewhere on this thread, but some people on the civicx.com forum reported that it wouldnt work.
out-of-box, hondahack wont install/enable dspflat.
tbh, its not needed with viper. :D

i guess iam not touching flashable zips in a while, since we dont have a recovery.
but i guess it should be possible that some app dev could add more equalizer bands on viper (?).

darky22

Feb 10, 2012
New York
interesting!
iam not using xm-radio, since streaming is nearly impossible in germany (bad mobile internet + phone contracts with limited data traffic everywhere).

there's a dspflat apk somewhere on this thread, but some people on the civicx.com forum reported that it wouldnt work.

i guess iam not touching flashable zips in a while, since we dont have a recovery.
but i guess it should be possible that some app dev could add more equalizer bands on viper (?).
I didnt get the part where you said DSP Flat wouldnt work. It works good but not for people with Premium Sound option in their civics

MistaC4

Dec 25, 2013
I'm not sure how many questions, if any, are in this sentence.
Like 3 or 4, I realise now how much of a disaster that post is lol

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

interesting!

Makes sense that when I tried to turn on DSP flat in the hidden menu it did nothing, but with viper installed and bass boost and clarity enabled it's way better then stock already. I would try to be the one to try flashing zips with those apps but with my luck I would end up bricking it lol. But yeah not gonna mess with flashing till we have a recovery or a another option available(if we ever do).

Last edited:

MistaC4

Dec 25, 2013
Been digging around hidden menus with Shortcut master and found this
7AlGyxw.jpg
QJNX44W.jpg
On Canadian Civics (like mine) we dont have TPMS for reasons unknown cause it costs no extra money and since its an indirect system it goes through ABS so its completely controlled by software, wondering if there is a way to enable it somehow, as of now theres no option to toggle it, though it probably needs the cluster to have the indicator light for it to function properly unless there is a way to get it to show up on the digital tach on the cluster but as far as I know theres no way to modify it, any one tried something like this before? I will try to find if theres something hidden to enable it, hopefully it dosent require a re-flash of the pcm but the lack of the indicator light on the cluster may be a issue.

Toilet Paper

Mar 5, 2018
Been digging around hidden menus with Shortcut master and found this
On Canadian Civics (like mine) we dont have TPMS for reasons unknown cause it costs no extra money and since its an indirect system it goes through ABS so its completely controlled by software, wondering if there is a way to enable it somehow, as of now theres no option to toggle it, though it probably needs the cluster to have the indicator light for it to function properly unless there is a way to get it to show up on the digital tach on the cluster but as far as I know theres no way to modify it, any one tried something like this before? I will try to find if theres something hidden to enable it, hopefully it dosent require a re-flash of the pcm but the lack of the indicator light on the cluster may be a issue.

TPMS is a feeature required by law in California (maybe other states but it started in California and know this for sure), and as a result, being a very large population, car manufcature simply decided to have it in all car models in the US. Canada we don't have it, but we do have some intresting trim specs. For example, the US LX, they have the DX trim headunit, which doesn't have this fancy touchscreen and rear camera. So they need to spend a lot more to get the nice big screen.

TPMS require sensors on each tires. It replaces the traditional tire valve with one with a sensor:
tire-pressure-monitoring-system-sensor.jpg

Each sensor runs on battery.

To enable it, it probably need a firmware update or the special dealership software that can communicate with the infotainment it is connected to (probably via USB) to unlock it. Same with Map feature, and even enabling Navigation (which, in Canada, for the 2016 model, only the Touring and Type-R has it enabled by default, as they have, as option the Garmin Map option for a nice extra. LX, EX and EX-T doesn't have. Later models do. So, if like me, you have the 2016 non-touring, you can't enjoy Waze navigation integration in the dash. And no one seem to care to help finding ways to enable it).

And like you said, no light indicate on the dash.

P.S: be careful playing the menu. They are things are things that don't have cancel or undo, and you may need to bring it to teh dealership to have it recalibrate to fix, like the side camera, if you have it. And those things are not cheap services. So be careful what you hit with your finger.

Last edited:

MistaC4

Dec 25, 2013
TPMS is a feeature required by law in California (maybe other states but it started in California and know this for sure), and as a result, being a very large population, car manufcature simply decided to have it in all car models in the US. Canada we don't have it, but we do have some intresting trim specs. For example, the US LX, they have the DX trim headunit, which doesn't have this fancy touchscreen and rear camera. So they need to spend a lot more to get the nice big screen.

TPMS require sensors on each tires. It replaces the traditional tire valve with one with a sensor:

Each sensor runs on battery.

To enable it, it probably need a firmware update or the special dealership software that can communicate with the infotainment it is connected to (probably via USB) to unlock it. Same with Map feature, and even enabling Navigation (which, in Canada, for the 2016 model, only the Touring and Type-R has it enabled by default, as they have, as option the Garmin Map option for a nice extra. LX, EX and EX-T doesn't have. Later models do. So, if like me, you have the 2016 non-touring, you can't enjoy Waze navigation integration in the dash. And no one seem to care to help finding ways to enable it).

And like you said, no light indicate on the dash.

P.S: be careful playing the menu. They are things are things that don't have cancel or undo, and you may need to bring it to teh dealership to have it recalibrate to fix, like the side camera, if you have it. And those things are not cheap services. So be careful what you hit with your finger.

It's funny that DRL isn't madatory in the states but TPMS is, even so it literally would cost them nothing to have had these cars with tpms because it is completely software based because actually The TPMS system for these Honda's mostly consist of a indirect system which goes through the ABS to look at wheel speed and variances between them, IE if one tire looses air pressure it's diameter becomes smaller and then rotates faster then the other 3 and it will trip the warning light indicating that a tire is low, that is also why when there is a fault with the ABS system TPMS does not work. Luckily I have a 19 Si so it already has the maps dash integration and I don't use Waze , yeah didn't bother with messing around with the stuff I knew was gonna cause issues, most of those short cuts you can get through the hidden menus any ways was just wondering if anyone has stumbled upon more hidden settings because there really isn't a dedicated thread to this kind of stuff.

Toilet Paper

Mar 5, 2018
It's funny that DRL isn't madatory in the states but TPMS is, even so it literally would cost them nothing to have had these cars with tpms because it is completely software based because actually The TPMS system for these Honda's mostly consist of a indirect system which goes through the ABS to look at wheel speed and variances between them, IE if one tire looses air pressure it's diameter becomes smaller and then rotates faster then the other 3 and it will trip the warning light indicating that a tire is low, that is also why when there is a fault with the ABS system TPMS does not work. .

Well in the car manufacturing world, every penny count. Because it is millions of dollars at the end. And also, a few dollars here and there saved on the car, is also hundreds of dollars, and possibly even a thousand dollar, which can make a car not price competitive anymore. Considering that cars cost more in Canada for various reasons also, it doesn't help anything having a more expensive car in the end.

Last edited:

koush1

Jul 6, 2016
Hi
I was going to purchase the Honda hack but after reading all the pages wondering if I should. My question is if i am not going to do any mods just install a music app that is better than the factory one, is the hack stable on a day to day basis? I'm worried I am going to have endless problems. I guess I am after a general concesus if the hack is ok.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Hi
I was going to purchase the Honda hack but after reading all the pages wondering if I should. My question is if i am not going to do any mods just install a music app that is better than the factory one, is the hack stable on a day to day basis? I'm worried I am going to have endless problems. I guess I am after a general concesus if the hack is ok.

Ludeape

Jul 2, 2015
Hi

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Hi

its stable as long as you dont try to install google play, or any apps that require root..

Reactions: koush1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] How to enter developer mode on 2017 Honda Civic (and now root & install apps)

======================

Honda has changed the password to enter the developer mode in new vehicle models so the old method described in this thread may not work any longer. If you have difficulty entering the developer mode or do not have a laptop, you may consider trying the new web based installation (paid service). The new method supports almost all Honda vehicles including Civic, CR-V, Accord, Pilot, Ridgeline and Clarity. For more information please refer to: xxxxxxx Mod Edit: Link removed.

:D:D:D

======================
    Updated 2020.10.02
    Display compass and rich vehicle information in the instrument cluster. Display advanced turn-by-turn directions while using Waze. Try it now (for Civic and CR-V only): Mod Edit: Link removed.

:p
    civic_advance_meter_navi.jpg

======================
    Updated 2020.03.08
    Support playing FLAC lossless audio directly in the factory USB audio player (for Civic & CR-V only).

:p

======================
    Updated 2019.06.22
    Open rear camera by one click.
    Real-time monitoring of battery voltage with voice alarm.
    Seat belt voice alarm.
    Show CPU usage, battery voltage in the status bar.

======================
    Updated 2018.09.14
    New test version: display turn-by-turn navigation directions in the instrument cluster, in conjunction with Waze.

======================
    Updated 2018.01.14
    A totally new One Click Root tool (Windows GUI version) and Honda Hack app were released. With the help of Honda Hack app, we can install apps without a laptop. What's more, we can enable the steering wheel audio controls, save offline maps and songs to the external USB drive now.

======================
    Updated 2017.09.27
    Finally I solved the auto reboot problem while remounting the system partition. Enjoy it!!!

======================
    Updated 2017.06.26
    Now we can root the head unit and install apps. Below are the detailed steps, please use at your own risk.

Detailed steps:
    1. Enter developer mode and enable USB debugging.

• Go to HOME > Settings > System > Detail information.
    • In the Android Settings window, click About.
    • Click the Build Number seven times exactly.
    • Now you will see the Please enter a passcord prompt.
    • Click the top 4 items in order 1, 4, 2, 3 and you should unlock the developer mode.
    • Go into Android Settings > Developer options and enable USB debugging.
    civic-1.jpg civic-2.jpg civic-3.jpg civic-4.jpg
    2. Change the USB role of the head unit from Host to Device.
    • Press the power, menu, and brightness button at once, and hold until you enter a new menu with two options.
    • Click the bottom option called Detail Information & Settings.
    • Now hold the MENU key to enter another menu.
    • Then Hold the HOME key to enter the last menu. You should first hear two consecutive beeps and then one final beep.
    • Lastly, change the role of USB Port from Host to Device.
    • Now connect your laptop to the front Android Auto/CarPlay Port using the USB A to A cable.
    3. Run the One Click Root
    • Disable your anti-virus and/or anti-malware programs before continue.
    • Download the root tool: HondaHack.zip
    • Extract HondaHack.exe from the ZIP file.
    • Run HondaHack.exe and it should connect to the head unit automatically. Android ADB USB Driver should be installed automatically in the meanwhile.
    • Click the ROOT button and wait for the processing to complete.
    • After the head unit is rebooted, you should see Honda Installer in the app list. Honda Installer was installed as a system app so you will not lose it after a factory resetting.
    • Open Honda Hack and click Install an app to install apk files you saved in the internal sdcard or external USB drive.
    4. You can also Install Honda Hack if you would like to have more powerful features including:
    • Install apps without a laptop.
    • Bypass parking brake.
    • Enable steering wheel controls for civic & accord.
    • Force landscape mode so apps such as Spotify will display properly.
    • Enable write access to the external USB storage (pro only).
    • Auto click the OK button at startup (pro only).
    • Auto run app at startup (pro only).

5. Change the USB role of the head unit from Device to Host.
    • Do this just like the reverse action in step 2, otherwise the USB port will lose its charging capacity and CarPlay / Android Auto will stop working.

Download Honda Hack: HondaHack.apk

If you do not like the GUI version, you can still download the original command-line version from GitHub: https://github.com/codeage/root-honda

Some files and scripts were obtained from this thread: https://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-how-to-gain-root-shell-2016-honda-t3487644 and all credit goes to @jersacct.
    @codeage

These are all my edits. I thought I would share them with you and the community. I'm sure you could integrate all the build.prop additions in your installer. I think if you dig around you will be able to script all of the things kernel adiutor is doing with a 5 second delay after boot. Then there would be no need for the app anymore. I hope this helps to make a more fluid experiance for all.

(Edit build.prop) (located in root/system/)
    (Only use root explorer)(it is the easiest method because you cannot alter or delete values with kernel adiutor)
    (Long press on the file, then hit menu and select open in text editor)

(Add these lines exactly as posted bottom or end of the file)

ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
    net.tcp.buffersize.default=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
    net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
    ro.config.hw_quickpoweron=true
    windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150
    ro.min_pointer_dur=8
    ro.max.fling_velocity=12000
    ro.min.fling_velocity=8000
    persist.sys.scrollingcache=3
    debug.sf.hw=1
    debug.performance.tuning=1
    video.accelerate.hw=1
    debug.egl.profiler=1
    debug.egl.hw=1
    debug.composition.type=gpu
    media.stagefright.enable-player=true
    media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
    media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
    media.stagefright.enable-http=true
    media.stagefright.enable-rtsp=true
    media.stagefright.enable-record=false

(Alter this value)

(From)

dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y

(To)

dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=v,o=y

(After inputting and altering press menu then save, then press menu then save and exit. You will see that root explorer made a file named build.bak this is your original build prop that they changed the extension on. If you wanted to revert back you could rename the extension to .prop and replace the modded one)(you would also need to make sure the permissions were the same after renaming build.bak to build.prop if going back)
    (After completion reboot your device for the new build prop to take effect)

(Now for kernel adiutor app - download from Google play on your car) (make sure to tick apply on boot to all things)

1.) Go to CPU and change cpu governor to Userspace (helps so reduse wear on system)

2.) Go to thermal and turn thermald on (prevents cpu overheating)

3.) Go to i/0 and change external storage read ahead to 1024 (makes external storage load faster)

4.) Go to low memory killer use slider to adjust settings:

Forground Applications = 18
    Visible Applications = 22
    Secondary Server = 32
    Hidden Applications = 101
    Content Providers = 139
    Empty Applications = 149

5.) Go to entropy and adjust both read and write values to 256 (this is how much is preloaded for memory so the system doesn't bind)

6.) Go to misc and change your host name to something shorter (I renamed mine "Car") (Shorter names typically connect up faster)

7.) Go to settings and change apply duration to 5 seconds after boot.

( * I take no credit if you kill your dog or burn your house down. These settings work fine for me and I am willing to risk my edits, it's your choice to do this or not. I am not accountable for anyone elses actions. I hope this helps the community here * )

* Ps if owners do not know, long pressing the home button will access recent apps so you can close running apps or switch between them easier.

Pss also using a 2018 civic ex hatchback
    DSP Flat!!!

Hello all,

DSP Flat / EQ Off can be achieved, easily!

Attached here is the stand alone apk made with Tasker. Simply install the apk, allow root permissions, and let it run. This changes DSP to Flat / Eq Off. You'll have to run the program every time you start the car, I have a shortcut on my home screen.

Thanks to @panchox for the initial logcat finding. I tried all kinds of stuff with kmod ect. and found this was the simplest solution. This apk is just like the video @shinemonmond posted but, I made it myself because I got sick of waiting for others to post this.

With out further delay here it is, may your ears rejoice!

Leave me a thanks thumbs up if this has helped you.

Cheers!
    Honda Hack 5.0 released!

===== What's new =====
    1. Open rear camera by one click.
    2. Real-time monitoring of battery voltage with voice alarm.
    3. Seat belt voice alarm.
    4. Show CPU usage, battery voltage in the status bar.

How to show web browser on 2018 Honda CRV

I hope this is relevant to this thread as this is my first post. I found a way to enable the browser on my CRV however once you shut the car off system resets and you have to repeat the process. Since this is my first post I can put any links. Go to YouTube and search for “2018 Honda CRV showing web browser” and you should find it. I posted the video on March 31, 2018.

Thanks.
    T.