[GUIDE] How to enter developer mode on 2017 Honda Civic (and now root & install apps)

Search This thread

zerf

Jan 13, 2010
Has anyone been able to have netflix download the movies/shows offline(on to USB stick) to be able to watch without an active data connection? I am using the netflix that is from HH5 and I am not seeing a button for "download offline". Any help would be very appreciated.

Has anyone been able to have netflix download the movies/shows offline(on to USB stick) to be able to watch without an active data connection? I am using the netflix that is from HH5 and I am not seeing a button for "download offline". Any help would be very appreciated.
Well you need YouTube red etc to do that

CTR_NL

Jun 18, 2020
Initial screen not working

Got Hondahack Pro today.

Installed on Civic Type R FK8 2019 EU.
Problem: When using auto OK button, system comes up in home screen, not NAVI (as last used). When i select 'last used screen' it will come up everytime in the telephone mode. Still have to select manually the NAVI.

This is the reason why i got Hondahack, buti can't get it to work.

Any help?

icemanm

Jun 23, 2020
Hi there
A happy user of hondahack here but I am asking you to include an EQ app an EQ flat on next update
I tried EQ flat (superSU needed) but it gives a lot of issues and crashes on the tablet, but when it works the sound improves al lot by itself
thx

Hello!

Installed the latest HH on 2018 Clarity PHEV yesterday (for a good measure also updated HH from within the app). Now the Android Auto stopped working, it stays on Loading...

The only things I've enabled were the voice prompts on seatbelt, etc, but they don't seem to play either.

What would be the troubleshooting path for Android Auto?

The420Dank

Apr 13, 2008
Hey all. I went back to page 294 to see if my issue was already posted and didn’t see. I’ve got the pro version installed on my 2019 Civic EX Coupe. Everything was great for a while until Apple car play started to black screen and freeze. I could go to the home screen and use the head unit as normal. Could use all audio sources except for Bluetooth as it said Bluetooth was disabled while using car play. I’d disconnect my phone but car play would still show as active and opening it via the button again just opened the blank black screen. At first resetting the unit while driving fixed it but then that was enough as car play would still be blacked out and frozen once the reset was finished. I learned that selecting the option in Honda hack -> error fixing would solve the issue as it seemed to do a deeper harder reset but eventually that stopped being enough as well. The car play black out started happening every single time I got into my car, initially it was once a month than ramped up to happen more and more often until finally it was unusable.

I restored my unit to factory settings and used it for a while. It functioned for a month without a single issue. I installed Honda hack again and changed nothing. Used it for a month and all was fine. Then I enabled the fake parking option and that caused the black out car play after a few moments of using car play. If I turn the setting off then the issue doesn’t go away completely but it happens far less often and the above error fixing while driving at least seems to get it working again. But with that feature enabled, car play is unusable along with Bluetooth.

Anyone else have this issue?

Also, in the Honda hack settings there’s options to enable log mode, enable test mode, and a debug mode I believe. All three ask for a password. Does anyone know what the deal is with the password and where we get it? Don’t think it’s the radio code or it would say that. I’m curious to get some logs if possible to see if there’s some kind of major error going on when car play breaks down and freezes, won’t close and disabled Bluetooth. Any help is much appreciated. I bought pro just for the fake parking setting which is the setting that faults Apple car play so it’s a bit frustrating.

I do have the latest Honda hack version as of a few months ago and I do have the latest iOS 13 version on an 11 Pro.

Trashabwoy

Dec 9, 2014
Kingston

eL_pIt

Oct 5, 2010
It removes it enough to hide from the dealership. Dealership are not tech savvy. And the mechanics doesn't care in reality, and beside too busy to take their time with each car. The only one that really cares is: Honda.. The dealership doesn't want to replace a head unit display, ship the broken one to Honda, and have Honda say to the dealership: "you owe is $1500 because this one was rooted, you should have detected that. We gave you a service builtin for you to be aware of that, and you should have refused servicing or charge the client for replacement as it is out of warranty".

You want to hide it, to not have the dealership refuse service under warranty for something not really related, but they think it is related, because they want to cover their ass to the max. And they don't want, and you don't want the dealership to go after you, if Honda is after them.

If you want to do a head unit replacement, say the touch screen is acting funky, then you better remove Honda Hack completely (either way you'll need to re-install it from scratch with the replacement). Also, be sure to clear the web browser history, cookies and cache in the settings to leave no trace, and better yet, uninstall Honda Hack, and do a system restore. Just in the case they start checking for hints, or they plug the device and see it is a rooted (that they can check, even software that you can install yourself form the Play Store will tell you if the device is rooted or not). If you are leasing the car, you better uninstall it, and do a factory reset on it, making sure there is no trace. Remember, on a lease, you don't own the car, Honda does.

Honda hack is still there, the device remain rooted. But the apps, including Honda Hack own app is gone.

Nope. Write it down, take a picture, there is no way to get Honda Hack back (beside factory reset and re-installing it, and re-install your apps) if you don't have the password.

What option? I don't recall from the top of my head.

I made factory reset, Honda Installer apeears, but when I try to install Honda Hack via Internet it said, NO ROOT PRIVILEGES, try to install vis USB memory, same message, NO ROOT PRIVILEGES. Try to reinstall honda hack via USB-A to USB-A cable with the app, and same problem..
Does anyone knows how to fix this problem.

Regards

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 AM ----------

Assistance needed

After hiding the apps I am not able to restore to HH on my HU.

I know what is the problem but I do not know how to solve it.

When I run su command it hangs.

I believe that it is due to the fact that previously I was using su manager with prompt message.
I installed it while installing Viper4Android.

Does any of you have idea how to solve it?

OneClickRoot roots the device and installs the installer but installer is not able to install anything because su hangs.

Same thing with the command line rooting.
I can root the device but su command hangs.

SuperSU is pushed to the /system/app/ but it is not visible in all apps on HU.

Is there some config file which I have to change/delete to revert the su behavior?

I have a similar problem, HU star restaring after try to install google services, HU restart aprox 6 times while 1hr driving, sometimes when I start engine HU is in Black screen, (no reverse camera, No blind side camera).

I made a Factory Reset to head unit, Honda Installer appears, but can't install Honda Hack said NO ROOT PRIVILIGES, I re-root HU via USB-A to USB-A cable, program said device was rootes but when I try to onstal Honda Hack, same problem.

Please Help

ZeRoZeRoRaZ

Apr 5, 2011
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy S10
The funny thing is that I've installed a few versions of Spotify Lite and Waze on my Civic HU and none of them work properly.
Currently I use uptodown appstore to download Spotify Lite - latest version available there works perfectly.
Previously I was using apk mirror but they have xapk and HH can't install them.

Process looks like this:
Open uptodown appstore
Look for the Spotify Lite
Click download
Go to HondaHack
Pick install from storage
It will find the apk
Instal it

ZeRoZeRoRaZ

Apr 5, 2011
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy S10
I made a Factory Reset to head unit, Honda Installer appears, but can't install Honda Hack said NO ROOT PRIVILIGES, I re-root HU via USB-A to USB-A cable, program said device was rootes but when I try to onstal Honda Hack, same problem.
Please Help

The problem was that the 'su' was not executing after root/reboot even from the adb.

So this process was not working:
* root.bat [OK]
* reboot [OK]
* install.bat ...apk [Not OK]

So I was changing root.sh step by step to see what can help and finally I was able to retrieve the root.

Here you can change my changes:
https://github.com/ZeRoZeRoRaZ/root-honda/commit/a5b1c461da325f0dffec71587ee9b9d76935b3e1

Some changes might be unneeded but at least it worked ;)

I hope that this will solve your issue too.

Trashabwoy

Dec 9, 2014
Kingston
Currently I use uptodown appstore to download Spotify Lite - latest version available there works perfectly.
Previously I was using apk mirror but they have xapk and HH can't install them.

Process looks like this:
Open uptodown appstore
Look for the Spotify Lite
Click download
Go to HondaHack
Pick install from storage
It will find the apk
Instal it

Cool, I'll give it a try.. I'll do the same with waze as well

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] How to enter developer mode on 2017 Honda Civic (and now root & install apps)

======================

Honda has changed the password to enter the developer mode in new vehicle models so the old method described in this thread may not work any longer. If you have difficulty entering the developer mode or do not have a laptop, you may consider trying the new web based installation (paid service). The new method supports almost all Honda vehicles including Civic, CR-V, Accord, Pilot, Ridgeline and Clarity. For more information please refer to: xxxxxxx Mod Edit: Link removed.

:D:D:D

======================
    Updated 2020.10.02
    Display compass and rich vehicle information in the instrument cluster. Display advanced turn-by-turn directions while using Waze. Try it now (for Civic and CR-V only): Mod Edit: Link removed.

:p
    civic_advance_meter_navi.jpg

======================
    Updated 2020.03.08
    Support playing FLAC lossless audio directly in the factory USB audio player (for Civic & CR-V only).

:p

======================
    Updated 2019.06.22
    Open rear camera by one click.
    Real-time monitoring of battery voltage with voice alarm.
    Seat belt voice alarm.
    Show CPU usage, battery voltage in the status bar.

======================
    Updated 2018.09.14
    New test version: display turn-by-turn navigation directions in the instrument cluster, in conjunction with Waze.

======================
    Updated 2018.01.14
    A totally new One Click Root tool (Windows GUI version) and Honda Hack app were released. With the help of Honda Hack app, we can install apps without a laptop. What's more, we can enable the steering wheel audio controls, save offline maps and songs to the external USB drive now.

======================
    Updated 2017.09.27
    Finally I solved the auto reboot problem while remounting the system partition. Enjoy it!!!

======================
    Updated 2017.06.26
    Now we can root the head unit and install apps. Below are the detailed steps, please use at your own risk.

Detailed steps:
    1. Enter developer mode and enable USB debugging.

• Go to HOME > Settings > System > Detail information.
    • In the Android Settings window, click About.
    • Click the Build Number seven times exactly.
    • Now you will see the Please enter a passcord prompt.
    • Click the top 4 items in order 1, 4, 2, 3 and you should unlock the developer mode.
    • Go into Android Settings > Developer options and enable USB debugging.
    civic-1.jpg civic-2.jpg civic-3.jpg civic-4.jpg
    2. Change the USB role of the head unit from Host to Device.
    • Press the power, menu, and brightness button at once, and hold until you enter a new menu with two options.
    • Click the bottom option called Detail Information & Settings.
    • Now hold the MENU key to enter another menu.
    • Then Hold the HOME key to enter the last menu. You should first hear two consecutive beeps and then one final beep.
    • Lastly, change the role of USB Port from Host to Device.
    • Now connect your laptop to the front Android Auto/CarPlay Port using the USB A to A cable.
    3. Run the One Click Root
    • Disable your anti-virus and/or anti-malware programs before continue.
    • Download the root tool: HondaHack.zip
    • Extract HondaHack.exe from the ZIP file.
    • Run HondaHack.exe and it should connect to the head unit automatically. Android ADB USB Driver should be installed automatically in the meanwhile.
    • Click the ROOT button and wait for the processing to complete.
    • After the head unit is rebooted, you should see Honda Installer in the app list. Honda Installer was installed as a system app so you will not lose it after a factory resetting.
    • Open Honda Hack and click Install an app to install apk files you saved in the internal sdcard or external USB drive.
    4. You can also Install Honda Hack if you would like to have more powerful features including:
    • Install apps without a laptop.
    • Bypass parking brake.
    • Enable steering wheel controls for civic & accord.
    • Force landscape mode so apps such as Spotify will display properly.
    • Enable write access to the external USB storage (pro only).
    • Auto click the OK button at startup (pro only).
    • Auto run app at startup (pro only).

5. Change the USB role of the head unit from Device to Host.
    • Do this just like the reverse action in step 2, otherwise the USB port will lose its charging capacity and CarPlay / Android Auto will stop working.

Download Honda Hack: HondaHack.apk

If you do not like the GUI version, you can still download the original command-line version from GitHub: https://github.com/codeage/root-honda

Some files and scripts were obtained from this thread: https://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-how-to-gain-root-shell-2016-honda-t3487644 and all credit goes to @jersacct.
    @codeage

These are all my edits. I thought I would share them with you and the community. I'm sure you could integrate all the build.prop additions in your installer. I think if you dig around you will be able to script all of the things kernel adiutor is doing with a 5 second delay after boot. Then there would be no need for the app anymore. I hope this helps to make a more fluid experiance for all.

(Edit build.prop) (located in root/system/)
    (Only use root explorer)(it is the easiest method because you cannot alter or delete values with kernel adiutor)
    (Long press on the file, then hit menu and select open in text editor)

(Add these lines exactly as posted bottom or end of the file)

ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
    net.tcp.buffersize.default=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
    net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
    ro.config.hw_quickpoweron=true
    windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150
    ro.min_pointer_dur=8
    ro.max.fling_velocity=12000
    ro.min.fling_velocity=8000
    persist.sys.scrollingcache=3
    debug.sf.hw=1
    debug.performance.tuning=1
    video.accelerate.hw=1
    debug.egl.profiler=1
    debug.egl.hw=1
    debug.composition.type=gpu
    media.stagefright.enable-player=true
    media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
    media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
    media.stagefright.enable-http=true
    media.stagefright.enable-rtsp=true
    media.stagefright.enable-record=false

(Alter this value)

(From)

dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y

(To)

dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=v,o=y

(After inputting and altering press menu then save, then press menu then save and exit. You will see that root explorer made a file named build.bak this is your original build prop that they changed the extension on. If you wanted to revert back you could rename the extension to .prop and replace the modded one)(you would also need to make sure the permissions were the same after renaming build.bak to build.prop if going back)
    (After completion reboot your device for the new build prop to take effect)

(Now for kernel adiutor app - download from Google play on your car) (make sure to tick apply on boot to all things)

1.) Go to CPU and change cpu governor to Userspace (helps so reduse wear on system)

2.) Go to thermal and turn thermald on (prevents cpu overheating)

3.) Go to i/0 and change external storage read ahead to 1024 (makes external storage load faster)

4.) Go to low memory killer use slider to adjust settings:

Forground Applications = 18
    Visible Applications = 22
    Secondary Server = 32
    Hidden Applications = 101
    Content Providers = 139
    Empty Applications = 149

5.) Go to entropy and adjust both read and write values to 256 (this is how much is preloaded for memory so the system doesn't bind)

6.) Go to misc and change your host name to something shorter (I renamed mine "Car") (Shorter names typically connect up faster)

7.) Go to settings and change apply duration to 5 seconds after boot.

( * I take no credit if you kill your dog or burn your house down. These settings work fine for me and I am willing to risk my edits, it's your choice to do this or not. I am not accountable for anyone elses actions. I hope this helps the community here * )

* Ps if owners do not know, long pressing the home button will access recent apps so you can close running apps or switch between them easier.

Pss also using a 2018 civic ex hatchback
    DSP Flat!!!

Hello all,

DSP Flat / EQ Off can be achieved, easily!

Attached here is the stand alone apk made with Tasker. Simply install the apk, allow root permissions, and let it run. This changes DSP to Flat / Eq Off. You'll have to run the program every time you start the car, I have a shortcut on my home screen.

Thanks to @panchox for the initial logcat finding. I tried all kinds of stuff with kmod ect. and found this was the simplest solution. This apk is just like the video @shinemonmond posted but, I made it myself because I got sick of waiting for others to post this.

With out further delay here it is, may your ears rejoice!

Leave me a thanks thumbs up if this has helped you.

Cheers!
    Honda Hack 5.0 released!

===== What's new =====
    1. Open rear camera by one click.
    2. Real-time monitoring of battery voltage with voice alarm.
    3. Seat belt voice alarm.
    4. Show CPU usage, battery voltage in the status bar.

How to show web browser on 2018 Honda CRV

I hope this is relevant to this thread as this is my first post. I found a way to enable the browser on my CRV however once you shut the car off system resets and you have to repeat the process. Since this is my first post I can put any links. Go to YouTube and search for “2018 Honda CRV showing web browser” and you should find it. I posted the video on March 31, 2018.

Thanks.
    T.