FORUMS

[Guide] Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70 Root, Recovery, Xposed and Others

997 posts
Thanks Meter: 525

By suhridkhan, Senior Member on 26th December 2015, 05:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I no longer have this tablet. This is an amazing device, and I enjoyed my time with it. Chances are that the information that are here are not the most updated. You can expect updated information at this thread.

There are a lot of scattered information everywhere about this tablet, so this is just an attempt to put those together in one place. Recently this tablet is gaining a lot of users due to its price and performance, I just hope that it helps the new users getting started. This is not my work, so I don't take any credit. No thanks necessary. Please thank the original contributors.

All the steps mentioned here are individually tested by me and at least worked for my device. However, I cannot guarantee that it will work on yours too, and I am not responsible for any damage to your device due to following or not-following this tutorial.
This thread is made possible due to the contribution of XDA members @Sparkrite, @Old faithful, @lee2006 and others. Special thanks to @clsA for providing the download links. Many thanks to @Tzul as stock firmwares and OTA updates were originally obtained from his work @ android-hilfe.de.
And we can not mention well enough the contributions of @Chainfire for root and @rovo89 for Xposed.

1. ROOT
Root with Kingroot

(Easy Method) Use this method if you don't want to change to a custom recovery
So far it has been reported to be working on the Kitkat 4.4 rom only. The steps are as easy as it could get. download the Kingroot app, and let it do it's work. You shall be rooted.
Replace Kingroot with SuperSu
Now, giving super user access to your device to any app is no joke. And many of us feel a bit uneasy with the Kingroot app. There are 2 ways to replace Kingroot with SuperSu
  • (Paid option )Use the Super-Sume Pro app app from the play store.
  • (Free option) Follow this guide here if you are not afraid of getting your hands dirty with couple lines of codes in terminal emulator. Note that the terminal will show a lot of errors, but it will still get the job done.

Root with Custom Recovery
  1. Follow the steps for installing Custom Recovery in section 3
  2. Reboot into Recovery mode.
  3. Use the 'Install Zip' option in your Custom Recovery to install 'BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip' and you shall be rooted.

2. Install Xposed Framework
Installing xposed requires a rooted device. Root your tablet with one of the above methods.
Kitkat
Download the Xposed Installer apk. Install the apk, you will get a security warning. You need to check app installation from 'Unknown Sources' in Security settings. Once installed go to the xposed app, under 'Framework' click 'Install/Update' You can ignore the red warning. Restart your device after that. Download any modules you like and start customizing your tablet!
Lollipop
Lollipop requires installing Xposed via recovery, so having a custom recovery besides root is also a requirement. Download the latest version of Xposed. Android 5.0.1 =SDK21, and this tablet runs in ARM 64 bit mode. Download xposed-v##-sdk21-arm64.zip, copy it to the tablet, and install it from custom recovery. The first boot afterwards can a long time 5-10 minutes. Also download and install the latest XposedInstaller app (currently XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk ), to manage the modules.

3. Install Custom Recovery
Install USB driver
This one is a tricky process.
  1. Download SP_Drivers and extract the files.
  2. Start Device Manager on the PC
  3. Turn off the tablet and connect it to the PC via USB cable. Device manager will refresh and show MT67xx vcom for a couple seconds only. Quickly right click on it and select install driver manually, navigating to the directory of the SP_Drivers
  4. Disconnect the tablet

Install TWRP Recovery using SP Flash Tool
  1. Download and extract TWRP for Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70.
  2. Download and extract the latest version of SP Flash Tool
  3. Start SP Flash Tool, in Download tab get the scatter file from the recovery zip package. Use the Android4 file for Android 4.4 Kitkat, and the Android5 file for Android 5 Lollipop. Make sure only the recovery is ticked, and on the drop down menu 'download only' is selected. Click on the location column on the right of 'recovery' and browse to the recovery file depending on your android version.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Captures.PNG
Views:	20274
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	3597137
  4. In SP Flash Tool, click Download.
  5. Connect the turned-off tablet to the PC. Recovery will flash in a matter of seconds and you will get a big green OK on the software.
  6. Close SP Flash Tool.
  7. Remove the tablet and make sure you do not start it, but get into recovery instead. Press 'volume up and power' and maintain that for about 10 seconds, past the vibration and the start of splash screen. A dark screen with very small characters will show up with three options: Recovery, Fastboot and Normal. Don't touch anything unless you make sure you understand what the buttons do. Volume up is used to navigate (go to Recovery), volume down activates the selection. DON'T select any other option! The power button has no effect.
  8. TWRP will start.
  9. Note that if you are already rooted, you can flash recovery via Flashify, Rashr, etc. You can also flash via Fastboot.

4. Flash Stock ROM with SP Flash Tool
There could be many reason to go back to all stock. Soft brick, return device to manufacturer for repair, Downgrade or upgrade OS, etc.
  1. Make sure you have the USB driver installed (procedure in the previous section)
  2. Download Stock ROM. Latest Lollipop A10-70F_S000121_151222_ROW or here. Kitkat A10-70F_S000021_150501_ROW_USER. Extract.
  3. Download and extract the latest version of SP Flash Tool
  4. Power off the tablet and run flash_tool.exe in the extracted SP flash tool folder
  5. Click 'Scatter-loading' and chose MT6752_Android_scatter.txt file in the extracted stock rom folder. Make sure on the drop down menu 'download only' is selected.
  6. Click 'download' and then connect the turned off tablet to the computer. The progress bar will show. It takes about 5 mins for the flash. A big green 'OK' button will show the end of the process. Disconnect the tablet and power it on. It may take up to 10 mins for the first boot. If it still not booting force turn off by pressing on the power button and start again.

The tablet should be powered off when connecting it to the computer, for both installing the preloader drivers and for flashing. This one is a very important step, and it won't work with a turned on tablet.

5. Tips
  • If you are in stock Kitkat, you can reboot to recovery mode by going to the 'system update' app and clicking the rectangular button on the top right corner.
  • To give sd card write access to any apps... If you are rooted this can be overcome by using apps like SDFix, HandleExternalStorage xposed module, or others.
  • Strangely there is no option to change Lockscreen wallpaper in the settings menu. This can be done by opening any image with the default Gallery app and going to 'set picture as'....

6. OTA update to latest version of Lollipop
The latest update mostly fixed the wifi issue many people have been struggling with.
Use SP Flash Tool to flash System and Recovery only from Lollipop firmware provided on section 4. Choose recovery and system only to return to stock. From stock recovery choose install update from sdcard and then choose the lenovoota.zip
Link to OTA >> A10-70F_S000120_150907_ROW_TO_A10-70F_S000121_151222_ROW
first bootup takes about 10 min like any system update

7. Useful Reads
MediaTek boot process and partitions 101
Fix a corrupted Preloader
Fix Auto-brightness

8. Additional Download Links
AndroidFileHost from Tzul
Onedrive from Tzul
AndroidFileHost from cslA

I shall continue to update this thread as more information becomes available. Please let me know if I missed anything.
The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to suhridkhan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift suhridkhan Ad-Free
28th December 2015, 07:49 AM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Thanks for your helpful information
29th December 2015, 04:30 PM |#3  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 3,444

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhridkhan

I shall continue to update this thread as more information becomes available. Please let me know if I missed anything.

I'm going to just put this here, it really doesn't need it's own thread

This is a TWRP Restore of some stuff I put together for my Tablet

You need the latest Lollipop software installed from #4 above (A10-70F_S000121_151222_ROW_clsA) - and you need the latest TWRP from @Tzul as your custom recovery.

How to install:

01. Boot to TWRP.
02. Create a backup on your external SD card. (Backing up "Boot" is more than enough. We only want TWRP to create the needed directories on your SD card.)
03. Download the backup I uploaded here >> nova.xposed.gsam.airdroid.supersu.zip
04. Unzip the downloaded backup.
05. Copy the unzipped backup folder to "TWRP/BACKUPS/Lenovo_Tab_2_A10-70F/"on your SD card.
06. Restore the backup.
07. Boot to system. First boot may take about 3 or 4 min.

Here's whats in the Restore

Nova Launcher (you can choose it on first boot or use the normal launcher, your choice)
Busybox
SuperSU
Xposed + Xprivacy and Gravitybox
Gsam Battery Monitor
Airdroid
ES File explorer
Terminal Emulator
Custom Wallpapers
bloat apps removed (most google stuff left in)
Boot and shutdown animations disabled.

Here's some screen shots - it's nothing too fancy but it should save you some time setting everything up if you need to redo your system.
If you like these Apps buy the pro versions in the Play store
If you want to thank Tzul for his work you can do so here >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/dona....php?u=5919159

Thanks go to
@Tzul for TWRP
@Hashbang173 for the Xposed
@C3C076 for Gravitybox
@M66B for Xprivacy
and @Chainfire for SuperSU
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2016-01-17-07-39-27.jpg
Views:	7888
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	3613201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-01-17-07-40-23.jpg
Views:	7270
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	3613202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-01-17-07-46-24.jpg
Views:	7924
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	3613203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-01-17-07-46-29.jpg
Views:	7360
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	3613204  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to clsA For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clsA Ad-Free
30th December 2015, 01:20 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Colorado

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA

Great Job, I would add some of the original links for some of the files but what you have here is very effective.

I may try and publish a Custom Rom for this if I get the Time

For reference the files in my AFH account come from these forums

Stock Firmware and OTA updates >> http://www.android-hilfe.de/thema/le.../#post-9447919

Custom Carliv Recovery >> KitKat 4.4.4 and Lollipop 5.01

Thanks a lot again, I shall update the OP with these original links.
30th December 2015, 01:27 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Colorado

More
Xposed working on Kitkat
Just found out that xposed is working on the stock kitkat rom.

Name:	Screenshot_2015-12-29-20-08-52.png
Views:	3972
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	3592887
At this point I am not sure which of the modules are working.
I tried few settings in GravityBox, which worked. Some benefits were obvious, like modding the statusbar, and advanced reboot menu.

Name:	Screenshot_2015-12-29-20-13-56.jpg
Views:	3898
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	3592888
Also tried 'Minminguard' and 'HandleExternalStorage'... The last one is quite handy as it fixes the sd card write issue in Kitkat.
30th December 2015, 01:36 AM |#6  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 3,444

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Just found out that xposed is working on the stock kitkat rom.
Attachment 3592887
I tried it on the Lollipop rom too but it got stuck on the bootscreen.
At this point I am not sure which of the modules are working.
I tried few settings in GravityBox, which worked. Some benefits were obvious, like modding the statusbar, and advanced reboot menu.
Attachment 3592888
Also tried 'Minminguard' and 'HandleExternalStorage'... THe last one is quite handy as it fixes the sd card write issue in Kitkat.
Looks like I am not updating from Kitkat anytime soon.

thanks for the tip.
FYI this tablet is on sale at Best Buy right now for $160 or less (Open Box - Excellent $135)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-t...=1219618213212 - Same deal on Amazon
30th December 2015, 02:04 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Colorado

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA

thanks for the tip.
FYI this tablet is on sale at Best Buy right now for $160 or less (Open Box - Excellent $135)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-t...=1219618213212 - Same deal on Amazon

Sweet deals! But you won't believe, how much I got it for.
It was around black friday form Jet.com. They give an special offer to first time buyers, plus there was another discount on my Amex credit card. I got it for 120$ only. Can you believe it!
It's a hell of a device for the price.
30th December 2015, 07:24 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 315

More
Great post suhridkhan, you should ask one of the mods to place it on the first page of the usual forum.

Just one thing, maybe you should mention in Step 3 that the tablet should be powered off when connecting it to the computer, for both installing the preloader drivers and for flashing.

Again thanks for the post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkrite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sparkrite Ad-Free
30th December 2015, 07:54 PM |#9  
Flag Wentworth-Nord
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Great summary! Helps clean everything up for newbies and help them avoid the lengthy learning process we pioneers had to go through to gather all the necessary information

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Quote:

you won't believe, how much I got it for.
It was around black friday form Jet.com. They give an special offer to first time buyers, plus there was another discount on my Amex credit card. I got it for 120$ only. Can you believe it!
It's a hell of a device for the price.

Amazing! In Canada the best deal was 250 loonies before taxes (approximately 160 dollars at the going rate? Or is it 140 now? ) In my case though, I got a 200 loony voucher from a colleague for a professional reference so in the end it only cost me 92 loonies (about $60). Better yet, my 64GB card cost me 37 loonies including taxes (about $26), just needed to fat32format it and add a line to the platform.xml file in system/etc/permissions folder to make it possible to use on KitKat

In case you were interested:(added 2015-12-31)
- using a root explorer, go to system/etc/permissions/platform.xml
- in the file find "android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"
- under the line "<group gid="sdcard_rw"/> add "<group gid="media_rw"/>
Save and reboot. Remember to make a backup of the original platform.xml in case of problems

the only other thing SDFixr7 does is to revert the permission to stock should you chose to do so (honestly I cannot think that anyone in their right mind would ever want to do so)

I'm off to another endeavour now, to try to install the ICS based Motoblur Launcher with the CirclesWidget3D that I originally got from my wife's old Droid RAZR HD, it was a lot of hacking back then to get to run on my Note 2, but it's beautiful and the launcher is very efficient, I just can't stand the confusing Lenovo Launcher. I give myself until the end of the week to succeed
The Following User Says Thank You to Old faithful For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Old faithful Ad-Free
30th December 2015, 09:01 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Colorado

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old faithful

Great summary! Helps clean everything up for newbies and help them avoid the lengthy learning process we pioneers had to go through to gather all the necessary information [COLOR="Silver"]
I'm off to another endeavour now, to try to install the ICS based Motoblur Launcher with the CirclesWidget3D that I originally got from my wife's old Droid RAZR HD, it was a lot of hacking back then to get to run on my Note 2, but it's beautiful and the launcher is very efficient, I just can't stand the confusing Lenovo Launcher. I give myself until the end of the week to succeed

You are right about the lenovo launcher, it's totally unpleasant to the eyes. I am using nova launcher. Have you found a way to change the lockscreen wallpaer to sth other than the built in ones, all those are really ugly.
I just hope that somebody ports an AOSP rom for this tablet. I am no developer, but given that the source code is available, may be someone with the know how can make an attempt to it.
30th December 2015, 09:02 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Colorado

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkrite

Just one thing, maybe you should mention in Step 3 that the tablet should be powered off when connecting it to the computer, for both installing the preloader drivers and for flashing.

Noted and updated in the OP. Thanks for the clarification, this one is a very important step. I had to struggle quite some time for not doing that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
noad

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)