FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE]RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK), Bootloader, Custom Recoveries, Firmware and Root

2,690 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,444
 
By NepoRood, Forum Moderator on 1st March 2016, 12:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
SPECIAL KNO'DIS: This Guide has been changed to refelct proper installation for both types of Maven Pro tablets, be Sure to follow the appropriate guide.

For the purpose of this guide, I'll assume you already have working ADB and Fastboot on your PC, if not, you'll need to set that up first. This guide doesn't cover installation of ether of those. If you're looking for the guide to the Viking Pro (RCT6303W87DK), go here.

KNO'DIS: I, OR ANYONE ELSE AT XDA, WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR "BRICKING" YOUR TABLET!! IF YOU MANAGE TO MAKE A BRICK, DUE TO YOUR "FUN-DA-MENTAL" INABILITY TO READ, GO BUILD A BBQ PIT WITH IT!!
(Or ask for help, there's a lot of friendly people around here)


So, without further ado, lets get started. First, you'll need to know which version of firmware your device is running, this can be found in 2 different ways. From a running device go to: Settings/About tablet and look at the Build number. Or you can boot into stock recovery and the firmware version will be at the top left of the screen.

You should see something like the following, and note the 2nd number after the 2nd "V":
Code:
RCT6213W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V37-V1.9.30 <-- This is x.9.x version of firmware

or

RCT6213W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V68-V1.12.30-B <-- This is x.12.x version of firmware
Now that you know which firmware you have, follow the approriate guide below. I've broken this post into 2 different sections, as each tablet is just a little bit different.


About the Bootloader


This applies to both versions of firmware and tablet users. Turns out, the booloader doesn't have to be unlocked in order to install a custom recovery or root the device. So there's really no reason to unlock it, and I have removed that portion of this guide.


Installing MTK Preloader Signed Drivers


Drivers located Here

x.9.x Versions

Steps (Windows 8/8.1/10): For step 2 you will have less than five seconds. Preloader mode is only active for a few seconds. So read first!

1- Extract the drivers to the Desktop and open the Device Manager ("right click" on the Start button, select "Device Manager")

2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug in the micro USB on the tablet, the other to the USB port on the PC, now very quickly in the device manager locate the new device and right click on it. For me, it showed up under "Other devices" and read MT65XX.

3- Select "update driver software" then select "browse my computer for driver software" (make sure "Include subfolders" is selected.

4- Click "Browse..." and navigate to where you extracted the driver zip. You "should" be at the following path: Desktop/MTK Preloader Signed Drivers

5- Click on "OK" then "Next". The driver should install at this point. Once that is done, unplug the usb cable from the pc (I find it easier to just keep the micro in the tablet).



x.12.x Versions (Requires Full size Male-to-Male USB Cable)

Steps (Windows 8/8.1/10): For step 2 you will have less than five seconds. Preloader mode is only active for a few seconds. So read first!

1- Extract the drivers to the Desktop and open the Device Manager ("right click" on the Start button, select "Device Manager")

2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug in the full size USB cable to both the tablet and the PC.

3- Plug the micro USB into the tablet, the other to another USB port on the PC, now very quickly in the device manager locate the new device and right click on it. For me, it showed up under "Other devices" and read MT65XX.

4- Select "update driver software" then select "browse my computer for driver software" (make sure "Include subfolders" is selected.

5- Click "Browse..." and navigate to where you extracted the driver zip. You "should" be at the following path: Desktop/MTK Preloader Signed Drivers

6- Click on "OK" then "Next". The driver should install at this point. Once that is done, unplug both USB cables from the PC (I find it easier to just keep them in the tablet).



Installing TWRP


Firmware/TWRP Downloads

Maven x.9.x (Currently Contains: V37-1.9.30 and TWRP)


Maven x.12.x
(Currently Contains: V63-V1.12.0-20150802 and V66-1.12.20-B-20150831 Firmware and TWRP)
Special Thanks to: @ShadowCX11 for testing for me.


Be sure you are using the appropriate TWRP for your version of firmware, and do the following:

1- Extract the firmware and the SP Flash Tool to your desktop.

2- Start the SP Flash Tool, and where it says "scatter file loading" click and navigate to the folder where you have the firmware and load the scatter file (depending on device, it could be in the "Images" folder).

3- Once that is done, uncheck everything, and select "recovery" only, from the list, navigate to the TWRP image file and click "Open", then click on the download button.

4- Plug the USB cable(s)* back into your PC. At this point the flash tool will load the recovery to the tablet. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING UNTIL THE FLASH TOOL SHOWS YOU A GREEN CHECK MARK TO INDICATE THAT IT IS DONE, OR YOUR TABLET COULD BE HARD BRICKED AND IRREPARABLE.

5- After you get your check mark, unplug and boot into recovery, hold the Volume + and Power button. When splash screen comes up (the 2 dogs) release the power button.

6- Welcome to TWRP

*Remember, x.12.x requires 2 USB cables to work


ROOT


You can get root by flashing the latest SuperSu zip file located here, be sure to download the flashable zip.

Otherwise, for root, you can use the KingRoot app located here, (get the apk, or "Download for Android") and if you don't want a Chinesse Super User app, you can replace it with the ChainFire SuperSu by going here.
NOTE: This method of replacing KingRoot with SuperSu no longer works properly, and results in a bricked device.


Device Tree
GitHub


CREDITS
@vampirefo (for the CWM Recovery and teaching me about TWRP, there would be no recoveries if it wasn't for him!)
@Bogram (for the lk.bin patch trick)
@smartmanvartan (for the flashing guide)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NepoRood For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NepoRood Ad-Free
 
 
1st March 2016, 12:40 PM |#2  
NepoRood's Avatar
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle
Thanks Meter: 3,444
 
Donate to Me
More
Reserved
1st March 2016, 12:54 PM |#3  
NepoRood's Avatar
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle
Thanks Meter: 3,444
 
Donate to Me
More
Reserved #2
25th March 2016, 01:45 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Flag Oak Grove, MO
Thanks Meter: 0
 
Donate to Me
More
Hello! I've had my Maven Pro for a couple months now and I still haven't rooted it like I have with the rest of my devices. I'd love to do it too, but reviewing your instructions, I found that my version number is way different. V66-V1.12.20-B. will that version patch tool still work for it? is there an update that it's refusing to download? Thanks!

Edit: on top of this, i can't get it to even connect (step 2) with any of my microUSB cables. (they work with my other devices)
27th March 2016, 12:21 AM |#5  
NepoRood's Avatar
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle
Thanks Meter: 3,444
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox13

Hello! I've had my Maven Pro for a couple months now and I still haven't rooted it like I have with the rest of my devices. I'd love to do it too, but reviewing your instructions, I found that my version number is way different. V66-V1.12.20-B. will that version patch tool still work for it? is there an update that it's refusing to download? Thanks!

Edit: on top of this, i can't get it to even connect (step 2) with any of my microUSB cables. (they work with my other devices)

Ooh, a v12, sorry friend, lol. Make sure the tablet is off, and be ready with "Device Manager" open, the preloader only shows up for a bit, then it disappears. The patch tool should still work for you, but the TWRP recovery may not. If it doesn't, the CWM recovery will after I modify it, because it's non-touch.

If neither recovery works for you, you can give me a copy of your "boot.img" file, and I can convert TWRP or CWM to work on your tablet. Also, I've changed the guide up top to include other root methods.

If you have any trouble, by all mean, post, and I'll try to help you through it

Regards,
Nepo

EDIT:
A friend found some V12 firmware, and I'll be uploading it soon. I can get a boot.img file from it to make a recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to NepoRood For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NepoRood Ad-Free
27th June 2016, 11:32 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 208
 
More
My maven pro is stuck in a bootloop after I rooted now I don't know what to do. I can't even shut it down
28th June 2016, 05:37 AM |#7  
NepoRood's Avatar
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle
Thanks Meter: 3,444
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GartimusPrime

My maven pro is stuck in a bootloop after I rooted now I don't know what to do. I can't even shut it down

You can reflash firmware while it is in a bootloop, I've done this many times. If you have everything set up, drivers, SP Flash Tool, firmware, etc..

Do the following:

1) Startup the Flash Tool and Load your firmware, as described in the OP (be sure to "uncheck" the Preloader)

2) Plug in your micro USB cable to both the PC and the tablet

3) Press and hold the "Reset" button located on the back

4) Click the Download button, then let go of the reset button, it should start flashing the firmware.

If it doesn't the first time, retry steps 3 and 4. I've had it fail the first time before, but work on the second.

Good Luck and let me know how it goes. Also, if the battery is completely drained by the time you read this, just flash firmware normally (again, uncheck the preloader). The tablet has to be powered off to flash it anyway.

Regards
Nepo
The Following User Says Thank You to NepoRood For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NepoRood Ad-Free
8th July 2016, 01:58 AM |#8  
ShadowCX11's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
So after reflashing my tablet (a Canadian V12 that had V68, and flashed to V66 trying to unlock the boot loader and install CWM), USB doesn't work. The port doesn't output any voltage, and neither does the keyboard connector. The tablet acts like nothing is there, as does the PS3 controller I tried. Also, before, Firmware Update would say there's no updated firmware. Now, it doesn't seem to do anything. I flashed every partition except preloader, MBR and ebr, and the sec partitions. Do I have to reflash again, or is there something else I can do?
On a completely different note, I tried flashing a patched lk.bin, and it failed with an error I don't remember (I had temporary access to a PC).
One more thing that was quite interesting to me. It seems if you reboot into recovery or bootloader from Android (APM+ or root), you're then able to access the recovery with Power + Vol. Up. Is this known, or was it a fluke?
8th July 2016, 09:14 AM |#9  
NepoRood's Avatar
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle
Thanks Meter: 3,444
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCX11

So after reflashing my tablet (a Canadian V12 that had V68, and flashed to V66 trying to unlock the boot loader and install CWM), USB doesn't work. The port doesn't output any voltage, and neither does the keyboard connector. The tablet acts like nothing is there, as does the PS3 controller I tried. Also, before, Firmware Update would say there's no updated firmware. Now, it doesn't seem to do anything. I flashed every partition except preloader, MBR and ebr, and the sec partitions. Do I have to reflash again, or is there something else I can do?
On a completely different note, I tried flashing a patched lk.bin, and it failed with an error I don't remember (I had temporary access to a PC).
One more thing that was quite interesting to me. It seems if you reboot into recovery or bootloader from Android (APM+ or root), you're then able to access the recovery with Power + Vol. Up. Is this known, or was it a fluke?

No USB is a new one on me, I wish I had a x.12 version of this tablet to test on (mine's x.9) I'd try a re-flash, this time, do everything but the preloader, the reason for not flashing a preloader is because it sometimes semi-bricks one of these tablets.

Interesting note, there was a guy on the Viking thread (RCT6303W87DK) that flashed CWM without unlocking his bootloader, and everything is working fine for him...

Regards,
Nepo

PS, Power + Vol Up is the standard way to enter recovery on this device (I have the Xposed APM+ apk installed too)
8th July 2016, 05:19 PM |#10  
ShadowCX11's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NepoRood

No USB is a new one on me, I wish I had a x.12 version of this tablet to test on (mine's x.9) I'd try a re-flash, this time, do everything but the preloader, the reason for not flashing a preloader is because it sometimes semi-bricks one of these tablets.

Interesting note, there was a guy on the Viking thread (RCT6303W87DK) that flashed CWM without unlocking his bootloader, and everything is working fine for him...

Regards,
Nepo

PS, Power + Vol Up is the standard way to enter recovery on this device (I have the Xposed APM+ apk installed too)

So just a quick question: Is the device /dev/recovery for sure recovery? I want to see if I can just use dd to flash recovery.
8th July 2016, 05:52 PM |#11  
NepoRood's Avatar
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle
Thanks Meter: 3,444
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCX11

So just a quick question: Is the device /dev/recovery for sure recovery? I want to see if I can just use dd to flash recovery.

Yes, to pull a copy from a running tablet you use dd, and the path is: /dev/recovery

So, I'd do it this way, using adb:
Code:
adb push NAME_OF_RECOVERY.img /data/local/tmp

# Wait for it, then type:

adb shell

#Followed by:

dd if=/data/local/tmp/NAME_OF_RECOVERY.img of=/dev/recovery

#After it finishes:

reboot recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to NepoRood For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NepoRood Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
firmware, mavenpro, rca, recovery, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes