FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE]RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK), Bootloader, Custom Recoveries, Firmware and Root

2,690 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,444

By NepoRood, Forum Moderator on 1st March 2016, 12:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th July 2016, 05:52 PM |#11  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCX11

So just a quick question: Is the device /dev/recovery for sure recovery? I want to see if I can just use dd to flash recovery.

Yes, to pull a copy from a running tablet you use dd, and the path is: /dev/recovery

So, I'd do it this way, using adb:
Code:
adb push NAME_OF_RECOVERY.img /data/local/tmp

# Wait for it, then type:

adb shell

#Followed by:

dd if=/data/local/tmp/NAME_OF_RECOVERY.img of=/dev/recovery

#After it finishes:

reboot recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to NepoRood For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NepoRood Ad-Free

8th July 2016, 11:05 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Okay, I got CWM installed! Now to see if I can find a way to build TWRP...
9th July 2016, 11:45 AM |#13  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Okay, I got CWM installed! Now to see if I can find a way to build TWRP...

Great! Is the CWM in portrait or landscape? You can always try to port the one I built for the x.9's, just unpack stock recovery, unpack TWRP, swap out the prebuilt kernel and repack.
9th July 2016, 02:06 PM |#14  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NepoRood

Great! Is the CWM in portrait or landscape? You can always try to port the one I built for the x.9's, just unpack stock recovery, unpack TWRP, swap out the prebuilt kernel and repack.

It's in landscape, and works quite well! I just like the touch interface a bit more. I'll try the kernel replacement.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowCX11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShadowCX11 Ad-Free
9th July 2016, 02:23 PM |#15  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It's in landscape, and works quite well! I just like the touch interface a bit more. I'll try the kernel replacement.

I prefer TWRP as well, that's why I built it

The only reason I don't have one posted for x.12 users is I can't test it. If you get it to work properly, let me know and I'll add it to the OP so others can benefit.

If not, I can do some builds for you to test, if you don't mind. I have the x.12 kernel in my repo
10th July 2016, 12:28 AM |#16  

More
Quote:

I prefer TWRP as well, that's why I built it

The only reason I don't have one posted for x.12 users is I can't test it. If you get it to work properly, let me know and I'll add it to the OP so others can benefit.

If not, I can do some builds for you to test, if you don't mind. I have the x.12 kernel in my repo

Yeah, I can't figure out how to extract the kernel, because I don't usually have access to a PC. However, I'll take some testing builds if you can make them.
Also, back to the USB issue, a reflash of everything except preloader didn't fix it. However, checking the firmware update now tells me that this is the latest version (which is definitely wrong, since I had v68). It must be an incompatibility between the USA and Canadian variants. If you find a Canadian firm dump, can you send me a link?

---
Hmm, okay.

So I just took a look at the model number on my box, and it's RCT5213W87DKF. That extra letter is what changes this a bit. I'll try seeing what I can dig up in terms of OTA updates, and I'll keep posting about what I find.

---
Okay, so after a few packet captures, I found the tablet makes a GET request to http://tablet12.gyrodock.com:2300/Ot...e=RCT6213W87DK with the User-Agent rk29sdk/4.0, but the server returns a 404 page. When I do this in the browser, however, I get something quite peculiar happen, which interests me. Most of the other places on the site return a Tomcat 404 that has the path in the parenthesis. However, for the OTA URL, it just has empty parenthesis. POST requests to that URL return a 200 OK with no return data, which is also interesting. I'll keep hunting around.
15th July 2016, 04:29 PM |#17  

More
Some people might not have a PC to run flash_tool on, so here's how you can flash recovery/uboot/mbr/ebr2/logo/sec_ro from within Android
I'll use recovery as an example. I'm using a V12 tablet, so steps might be different if you have a V9. I tried to make this guide as revision-agnostic as possible, so correct me if I mess something up.
  1. Root your device. The method I use is KingRoot, because it doesn't require any weird things. You can uninstall KingRoot and flash SuperSU later.
  2. Download a recovery image. Make sure if you have a V12 tablet, you download a recovery image for V12, and a V9 recovery for a V9 tablet, or you'll brick your recovery. I personally prefer TWRP, because it has more features and a nicer UI, but CWM works too.
  3. Get shell access. You can use a terminal emulator.
  4. Type in su, and give the terminal superuser access on your device.
  5. Type in dd if=/sdcard/Download/mavenVY_XXX.img of=/dev/recovery, where Y is 9 or 12, and XXX is CWM or twrp3.0.2. This will flash the recovery image.
  6. Finally, type in reboot recovery. This should reboot into your custom recovery! It might also enable Power + Vol Up access to recovery, however, this hasn't been confirmed.
All the other partitions are similar, just replace the references to recovery images with the respective file names for the raw partition, and /dev/recovery with /dev/[PARTITION]. You can NOT flash the android or usrdata partition while in Android or you'll most likely soft-brick your tablet, however, you can boot into TWRP and go to the terminal and do the flash. You must copy your disk images to /tmp when doing so however, or you'll probably lose the disk image during the flash, effectively causing a brick.

Hope this helps people out!
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowCX11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShadowCX11 Ad-Free
15th July 2016, 05:16 PM |#18  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I've found out that it seems the v12 tablets strictly enforce the checksums of partition images, so flashing a custom recovery or uboot does not work with flashtool.

Nice addition, but all you have to do is disable it in the Checksum.ini file (change the 1 to 0):
Code:
[IsEnableChecksum]
CHECKSUM_SWITCH=0
I did that for the v9 versions, but only uploaded the v12 firmware...
15th July 2016, 09:36 PM |#19  

More
Quote:

Nice addition, but all you have to do is disable it in the Checksum.ini file (change the 1 to 0):

Code:
[IsEnableChecksum]
CHECKSUM_SWITCH=0
I did that for the v9 versions, but only uploaded the v12 firmware...

Oh... makes sense...
15th July 2016, 10:21 PM |#20  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Oh... makes sense...

I'm glad you posted that info, it'll be super handy for folks that may not have access to a PC, or would rather use their device instead of a PC
15th July 2016, 11:01 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK), Bootloader, Custom Recoveries, Firmware
What do you mean by firmware "V36-1.9.21?" Are referring to the build number? I do not see any firmware listed in the About the tablet" of the setting of my Maven Pro.

thanks,

Rao
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
firmware, mavenpro, rca, recovery, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)